Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2912

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2912
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I was aware that I’d saved David’s life before but surely this was just a random accident, so shouldn’t be held against him. I’d give it my best shot and if he didn’t make it, I’d do my best not to cooperate in what the so called goddess wanted me to do.

Although I could feel my body sitting there with blue energy pouring into David’s broken body and the young doctor standing with her mouth wide open even though I’d asked her to close it; my being was elsewhere. I was in the building of light and I knelt. “We do not bargain and we are tempted to allow your friend to die to demonstrate this miscalculation on your part, Catherine.”

“I’m here to ask that you spare the life of my friend.”

“By suggesting you won’t cooperate in future.”

“I’d prefer to cooperate...”

“We do not bargain. Good day, Catherine.”

“I am disappointed, Milady.”

“You think we are concerned by your disappointments?”

“Of course not, but it affects my morale.”

“As if that was of concern to us.”

“No of course not, morale is only something that affects humans, causing them to function less well or being unable to function at all. Losing my friend could do that to me.”

“That is your choice, Catherine.”

“I’m afraid it isn’t, Milady, it’s part of being human and possibly why you’re a goddess and I’m a mere human, whose existence is by comparison, ephemeral.”

“We are unable to offer you immortality.”

“I think that would be the last thing I would desire.”

“We are pleased to hear it.”

“I shall go and make ready my mourning for my friend and try to deal with my grief and my loss of morale. I shall apologise in advance if I am unable to carry out your instructions because of it.”

“Catherine you tread a fine line between audacity and impertinence. Go and save your friend but do not think we are stupid. Next time you try to bargain we may exact a very high price.”

I felt myself back in my body and looking ahead I watched the young doctor gasp and then collapse in a faint, knowing that she’d seen the winged healer standing over us. She might also have noticed that it bore my visage, it was an aspect of me, when I’m not negotiating with goddesses.

I felt David’s hand grasp mine tightly. I knew then he would make it and so did he. I let him go and went to tend the young houseman—stupid term for a woman, intern might be better. I helped her to a sitting position. “What happened?” she said looking very pale.

“I think you simply fainted, probably working too many hours.”

“I had this weird dream—thought I saw an angel.”

“Most people would think that was something to be treasured.”

“It looked like you.”

“Now I do know you were dreaming—I am certainly no angel, far from it.”

“How is your friend?”

“A bit more relaxed, I suspect. I learnt a sort of hypno-meditation years ago and find it can help promote healing.”

“I suspect he’s going to need more than a bit of hypnosis or placebos which is all it is.”

“Absolutely, isn’t that so, David?”

With that he sat up in bed and she fainted again. “What did I do?” he asked.

“Nothing, she’s just easily shocked.”

“I saw the star and clung on to it and you brought me home. Thank you, Cathy.”

“That’s okay.”

“I also heard you arguing with someone you kept calling, ‘milady’. What was all that about?”

“That was just about a feminist issue, nothing for you to worry about.”

“Oh,” he scowled at me.

I sat the doctor up again and she seemed to be quite unsteady. “Here, if David gets off the plinth, you can lie on it. I’m sure it’s just tiredness.” She was well out of it and complied with my coaxing lying down on the plinth and closing her eyes. I told her to sleep for five minutes and wake refreshed as if she’d had a night’s sleep. I surrounded her in blue light and David and I walked out of the cubicle.

“And just where are you going?” asked a familiar voice.

“Home, how did the surgery go?”

“A bit iffy,” he said rotating his hand back and fore.

I closed my eyes, “The bleed has stopped in his lung—he should make it now.”

He shook his head. “What about this one?”

“I’m fine, Doc,” offered David.

“Any problems get straight back here.”

“I will don’t worry.”

“Where’s Amy—my houseman?”

“She felt a bit unwell so I let her rest for a few minutes, she’ll be okay in a couple or so.”

“You realise anyone but me would sack her?”

“Ken you are just plain wonderful.” I pulled him towards me and pecked him on the cheek. To my delight he blushed.

“Wait, I’ll do you a discharge form. I presume the X-rays and scan we did will show nothing?”

I shrugged.

I took David home, it was nearly light when we got there. He looked up at his cottage with the tarpaulins over the roof and the lumps of sawn wood in front of it. I suddenly remembered Simon’s broken wrist and after asking David to make some teas, rushed upstairs to check on Simon. He heard me enter the room.

“Where did you go?”

“To see David.”

“How is he?”

“He’s downstairs making tea, want some?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“How’s the wrist?”

“About two hours ago it was hurting like hell and i thought I’d have to go to hospital when this searing pain occurred in it and then stopped and it’s felt fine ever since. Nothing to do with you, was it?”

I shrugged and then leant over and kissed him. “I need a cuppa, I’m parched.” I then went downstairs and David passed me a steaming mug. It was bliss in a cup.

Simon appeared bedecked in a dressing gown. “How are you?” he asked David.

“Fine, thanks for trying to rescue me, I could just about hear some of what went on, including Cathy shouting at the fireman.”

“Your place is a mess, you’d better come over here to stay for the moment.”

“I’ll stay downstairs, kip on the couch, I’ll be all right, honestly.”

“What about next door, did the roof there get damaged?” asked Simon.

“We’ll see later, now I need a few hours sleep.”

“Me too,” said David and sloped off to his cottage.

“Was he as sick as he looked?”

“Probably worse, why?”

“No wonder you feel tired, he’s taken all your energy.”

“No he hasn’t, I’m just short of hours of ZZZZ.” I pecked him on the lips and rushed up to bed, pulling the curtains closed I stripped off and got into bed hoping I didn’t dream of a certain goddess.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still lovin' it.

Glad everybody seems to be in good spirits.
Thanks again Ang.

xx

bev_1.jpg

I love Dr Ken

The way he just takes this whole 'miracle' situation in stride just makes me laugh.

Tsk Tsk,

Cathy is pushing it there. I have to wonder if the Goddess secretly enjoys the back talk. If not she will get her own back. Even if she does she might anyhow. So how would a powerful Goddess go about playing a practical joke for revenge?

Had to go back and

Read Cathy's thoughts at the beginning of the episode to see where the goddess's altitude came from. Why did Cathy even need to think those negative thoughts?

Obviously Cathy is

made of far sterner stuff than i am , Faced with an omnipotent being i very much doubt i would have talked to them in the manner Cathy did, Hopefully she never has to face the threat that milady gave her , Cathys life is such that you can never tell what lies ahead but pushing matters so that you are seemingly running out of credit seems to be quite a dangerous practise... Time maybe for Cathy to try and get on the good side of the goddess... Whatever that might mean.

Kirri

I do expect to hear and see

I do expect to hear and see Rod Serling in the cornor "you have now entered the Twilight Zone"