Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2944

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2944
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

My evening was mostly filled by driving back home. The tediousness of the journey wasn’t helped by the sky darkening, despite it only being about seven o’clock. This was shortly followed by a sense of heaviness in everything, as if the very sky itself were leaning on us. Then a single flash lit up the universe, like a huge flash bulb going off, huge blobs of water started smacking the roof and windows of the car. The rain was torrential and the road soon disappeared to become a shallow river of boiling water.

It reminded me of the beginning of my story, the day that Stella hit me off my bike. Hail stones bounced off the bonnet of my car and I slowed down a little in the far from clear visibility of the road ahead.

My car is new enough to have the daylight lights, LED lights on both back and front, which should be enough for other road users to see me in either direction, except it’s a well know fact that ninety per cent of drivers are poorly sighted and the other ten per cent are registered blind. So I was quite glad that when the sky darkened the car’s head and tail lights came on automatically.

About halfway home, a motorcyclist—you know, the sort, organ donor on wheels—came flashing past me as I was about to overtake a lorry. Despite his lights, the motorbiker’s, I didn’t notice him until he drew level with me because I was trying to see through the wall of spray thrown up by the multiple rear wheels of the truck—one of those pulling a trailer as long as the truck.

I was temporarily startled by the motorbike and took my foot off the accelerator and dropped back a fraction, the truck simultaneously indicating and pulling out into the space I’d have occupying had I not slowed down. I held my breath as the motorbike scarcely made it through the gap. It upset me enough to turn off at the next services area and stop for a drink and a wee. The storm had abated enough for me to trot to the buildings without getting too wet and I had a telescopic umbrella in my bag should I need it for the return journey.

Sitting at a table on my own I consumed my cup of tea—well that’s what the label said—and I cogitated on the rest of my journey. Theoretically, the worst was now behind me but I sent Trish a text to say I’d stopped for a cuppa while the thunderstorm raged. It had finished but they didn’t know that and I asked her to tell her dad. Her response was that it was dry with them and to drive safely as she didn’t look that good in black. Despite her cheek, I got them all some sweeties at a rip off price and strolled back to my car.

I decided I was going to watch Trish playing tomorrow in the hope that she would part fill Danni’s shoes enough to get a win for the school. As I drove I reran my memory of Danni and then the two footballers showing her how to do the bendy kicks that made David Beckham famous. But the skill I suppose wasn’t so much in being able to just bend the kick but being able to deliver it to the exact place you wanted it to go; usually to the feet or head of a team mate. I’d seen Danielle do it but wasn’t sure Trish could do the same and being smaller, over the same sort of distance.

Once again the skies darkened and down came the monsoon and once again every lunatic with a motor vehicle tried to play Russian roulette with the traffic. Why is it that people don’t seem to understand that if the road is temporarily under two or three inches of water, there is a risk of aquaplaning if you apply your brakes suddenly. Even with modern cars and all the safety devices they contain, if the driver is a complete moron, the safety stuff is not terribly helpful. A motorbike once more came flashing past me in the outside lane followed by a large Vauxhall Omega. Both were going too fast for the conditions and as they came past me another large lorry indicated and pulled into the outside lane.

This time I was far enough behind not to feel directly threatened by any of them, however, that changed rather rapidly when the back of the truck clipped the motorbike and flipped it over the crash barrier into the oncoming traffic and the Vauxhall driver who’d been going too fast braked hard and I watched helplessly as his car continued on its way but spinning round as it went before it slammed into the back of the truck which was slowing to a stop after its collision with the motorbike. I had to stop as the accident blocked the whole road and I suspected the same was happening the other side of the carriageway with the hapless motorcyclist.

Remembering my previous experience with motorway accidents. I stopped on the side of the road, hazard lights flashing and grabbing my waterproof jacket, departed the car and stood up the bank. Several other people were dealing with the accident so I stayed out of the way. The traffic was stationary now in both directions and sirens were sounding in the distance. I stood and waited trying to stay calm and dry while the emergency services sorted things out.

Normally, I’d have been rushing about in all the mayhem, helping where I could but today I decided I was best staying put and letting others deal with it. My family wouldn’t be too happy if I got myself run over and thinking about it, I decided I probably wouldn’t be that pleased about it myself either. There were lots of things I wanted to do with my life yet, including watch my daughter play for England and the other win the schools’ cup final tomorrow.

My phone showed that I had a signal and I called home to let them know I was delayed. Simon was delighted to hear that I wasn’t involved in the rescue and that I was staying well away from the carriageway. I told him I’d let him know when we were allowed back to our cars.

Two hours later after watching the fire service cut the roof and side off the Vauxhall I was making my way back to the car when a police officer stopped me and asked if I’d seen anything. I was tempted to say I hadn’t, but I actually had seen it all. I described what had happened, the two incidents both involving the truck and he took my name.

“Cameron, Cathy Cameron.” I showed him my licence.

“Lady Cameron—not the Lady Cameron, the one married to the banker bloke?”

“Yes,” I sighed.

He took my address, though I suspect most of the local plod know it by heart, and told me they’d probably need a statement. Finally he let me go and I arrived home at after eleven. Despite the best efforts of the heater in the car my feet were freezing and Simon sat me down at the kitchen table and made me some tea. The children were all in bed except Julie and Phoebe who’d been talking computer systems with Sammi.

I wished them all a goodnight and with Simon following behind I retired to bed feeling absolutely bushed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Giving ourselves a rest.

Sometimes we just need to sit back.

A woman is installing the window opening for my AC unit, and it is tempting to just do it myself. Patience, patience.

Gwen

Joe Public drive like dumb fu

Joe Public drive like dumb fu.king clots in wet snow or what ever. Is this with the way they drive natures way of weeding out dumb wallys plonkers and planks like smoking if your dumb to do so you save the country money in old age care.Only thing these dicks are likely to take you with them.Since the dorks in power have cut back on traffic coppers they are driving like death race 2000. Take care drive safe.

Ignorant drivers

In Australia we are seeing an increase in high speed incidents (accidents are avoidable, so i use the word incident appropriately).

all the car companies tout how safe there cars are, ABS, traction control etc etc, but the tests are done with professional drivers in most likely ideal conditions, and they don't tell you that.

i've heard of accidents on wide open highways with no other cars where a spot of rain and an unexpected kangaroo happen along and suddenly you have a car that's lost control due to a driver doing something wrong and not able to control the perfect high tech bloody car.

All to often they are diving far too fast because they think the car is perfect, and in their ignorance fail to take into account the road conditions, or the sign warning of kangaroo's.

i'll stick to my classic cars, there's no false sense of security like in modern cars.

What Happened

littlerocksilver's picture

... to the motorcyclist? Was it finis and that was the reason there was no need for the blue light? Or, maybe he's still lying in the opposite lanes.

Portia

Donorcycle

A frequently appropriate nickname for a motorcycle is a donorcycle.

Michelle B

Add my vote to the dislike of motorcyclists

Or should that be mortarcyclists as they will certain shoot up high in the air if hit the right way.

Everybody I know of has been victims of these two wheeled heels who don't give a crap about the other people who share the roads. In Seoul, Korea, they are well known to drive up on the sidewalks at need to make a flakey turn or if they merely felt like it.

Sorry, both my daughter and I ride motorcycles

Complying with traffic laws, wearing protective gear (which isn't required by law here), and understanding that we might as well be invisible.

Riding a motorcycle is a lot like riding a bicycle - People simply don't see you.

Sadly you are in the minority

The ones I see inevitably fly at 90mph or more and weave in and out of traffic doing it. They way outnumber you, sorry to say.

It's the same in Cambodia

littlerocksilver's picture

I saw left turns made in three different ways. I watched a guy texting while driving a motor scooter. In Da Nang there were about 50 motor scooters to every car. They seemed to be a bit more orderly. In Saigon, the automobile to cycle ratio was much higher, and traffic was far more orderly as it was in Bangkok. The traffic was hell in Bangkok.

Portia

I remember that

littlerocksilver's picture

They were quite a bit saner their, though.

Portia

Korean drivers

I have had the unpleasant experience of driving military vehicle's in Korea for two years. It is VERY nerve wracking and you are totally right about the Bikers there. It is especially not fun on MSR's 1 and 3. These roads are theoretically 4 lane roads (2 south and 2 north bound) however it was often at least 5 lanes of vehicles going both directions.

One big reason people do not

One big reason people do not slow down during massive rain storms is because it is not taught in drivers training to do so. They are more focused on getting the trainee to learn how to drive the car and how to park it than to be careful during storms.
I see so many offenses being committed by drivers, on an almost daily basis, I wish I was back in my patrol car with a very full ticket book.
My biggest pet peeve is NO turns signals being used to move from lane to lane or to show the drivers behind you or coming towards you,
so you know what they are planning to do. Last time I checked, mind reading was not a staple lesson in drivers education.

Turn signals

Around here turn signals are normally part of a dis-information campaign.

No local driver would ever think of letting other drivers actually know what they intend to do. That would be a sign of weakness to be exploited.

Michelle B

Indeed, that is one of my bug bears

Those blinky things on the corners of your vehicle are SUPPOSED to be indicators - things that indicate to other road users what you are going to do in a short while.
It seems that nowadays they have become confirmators, telling other road users what you have just done.

Grrrrrrr.

J - now working on my 3rd million of miles to have passed under my wheels. Yes, miilion. And yes, miles.

Good work

jennifer breanna's picture

What always amazed me the most is the number of people willing to cut off or drive in the blind spots of a bus. Its a 5 ton vehicle it takes a while to get going or to stop and it won't even notice if it crushes a smart car or two.

Those Japanese siucycles are

Those Japanese siucycles are called DONOR cycles in most ERS. A motorcycle always loses vs car. no mater how small the car. A big Indian or Harley-Davidson has a slight chance. Helmets only help a little.
No Debbie ??

Karen

Now I'm retired -

Now I'm 'retired' from my old day job, most of my driving is for pleasure so if driving conditions deteriorate I sometimes stop at a service station or some convenient place cos' I'm rarely tied to an ETA. Also because I only work for myself, my time is mostly my own. No hassle.

bev_1.jpg

They are added extra's

Christina H's picture

On many cars especially the Teutonic variety things like the orange flashing lights that give you a clue as to where they are going, wipers so they can see and brains for the person driving are added extras and having spent a small fortune buying the car most of the dick heads cannot afford these so don't have them.
Anyhow in the microbe sized brain of these morons everyone else on the road has mind reading capabilities so lack of these doesn't matter they over look the fact that mind reading is ok as long as there is a brain to link with.

if you live in the UK listen to radio 2 road reports between 4pm and 6pm on a Friday it seems like half the country is hell bent on killing themselves.

Christina

Half are bent

Angharad's picture

on killing the other half. The Americans have their guns we have the motor car.

Angharad

And in Dallas

They have both Taint pretty