Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2933

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2933
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

Back at the office and an hour’s marking done before Diane appeared. “You look very smart,” she said.

“I’m a professor, they’re all smart.” I deliberately misconstrued her remarks which related to the fact that I was wearing a brushed denim trouser suit with a blue striped blouse.

“That’s what they think,” she threw back at me.

“Make the tea, slave,” I called and some sort of riposte was lost as the door closed behind her.

I had two more papers to do when she returned with the tea, “If it tastes a bit sweet, it’s only antifreeze.”

“You can’t poison angels anyway,” I joked.

“Is that a challenge?”

“What happened to staff loyalty?”

“Staff what?” she said laughing.

“Can I finish this marking before you kill me then?”

“Okay,” she said and wandered back to her desk. I tasted the tea, it didn’t taste any different to usual.

Finishing the last paper I was just writing the marks on a score sheet I keep of my marking when Debbie knocked and entered. “Thanks for your support yesterday, it meant a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I mean it, I brought you a little thank you present.” She handed me a potted orchid plant. I thanked her and put it on the window sill wondering how long it would survive. I don’t have a brilliant record with houseplants. Usually I forget to water them and then overcompensate and they drown.

“D’you mind if I watch you teach later?”

I glanced at my watch, I had less than an hour. “If you haven’t anything better to do, feel free.”

Forty five minutes later I was talking to John the technician about the slides I’d be using. This was part two of the principles of ecology. They were supposed to have read up about it but I’ll bet no more than a third actually did so.

Some days I think I’d get more response teaching a class of five year olds. Apparently they’d had a dance at the student’s union and it seems my course was well represented. I did remind them they were being treated like adults which meant self-responsibility. I finished the class early and told them to read the chapters for next time or I’d be taking disciplinary action against them. To say I was furious was a slight understatement.

Diane and Debbie came up on stage with me, “I wasn’t expecting that,” declared Debbie.

“Which, my sending them off with fleas in collective ears or closing the class early?”

“A bit of both. Most lecturers I know would have spouted on regardless and it would have been up to the students to work it out later.”

“I do things my way. If they can’t understand the basics, how are we going to move on to the more complex stuff? At least they now have the time to go off and read it.”

“D’you think they will?”

“Some might, most won’t—so the firing squads will be busy.”

She laughed, “You’re one of the most caring teachers in the whole academic system so what will you do if they continue to skive?”

“Make a few examples.”

“What pick on individuals?”

“Yep. I consult with the other teaching staff and if we have any slackers, they get a written warning, they also get an interview with me, the university ogress.”

“Come off it, Cathy, you wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

“They’re not flies and anyone who is perceived to be messing about will be cautioned and advised to mend their ways. If they don’t we drop them.”

“What you kick them off the course—what if they’re having problems?”

“They are advised to inform us as early as possible so we can help them.”

“What if they’re like me and can’t bring themselves to talk to anyone about their problems?”

“We can arrange for them to see Student Health who can refer them for counselling or other therapy. We can also advise them to take a deferment to have time to deal with their problems. We try to help when they tell us they have a problem but we’re an educational establishment not a nursery or therapy group.”

“Yet you helped me?”

“You’re staff.”

“Oh does that matter?”

“Of course it does. I have forty or fifty staff, I know most of them quite well, some have been here years. So any problems they have, I hope they would speak to me or to their senior lecturer or reader if that’s more appropriate. I have nearly a thousand students, most of whom I’ve never met on a one to one basis and the interview to tell them to knuckle down may be the first time we ever meet.”

“Okay, I understand it a bit better.”

“The exam results with the first and second years form the basis of our assessment technique, anyone who is seen to be struggling will be called in to see their tutor—you’ll have some, don’t you worry—to identify problems if we can. If they get to see me, they should appreciate they have real problems because I have better things to do than hold their hands, I have so many other jobs to do.”

“I’ve heard you’ve done all sorts of things to help your students including telling their parents they’ve got some horrible disease.”

“That was years ago when I was a simple lecturer.”

“But you care don’t you?”

“Of course I care but I don’t have the time or the energy to spoon feed them. They’re supposed to be adults, but because their parents have solved all their problems and kept them in cotton wool, for some, this is the first time they’ve actually been allowed out on their own. It’s now April, we’re in the final term for the year, if they haven’t matured enough to realise they have a contract with us, which if they break, they can find themselves sent down. This is a university not a kindergarten.”

“Okay, I’ll try and grow up and help some of the others do the same.” She walked away leaving me standing with Diane.

“C’mon, boss-lady, I think you need a cuppa.”

“Was I too tough with her?”

“She’ll grow up under your supervision. Nobody likes to be told they’ve got to get tough with others, especially when they’re hardly any older than the people they’re guiding or supervising.”

“In my first tutorial group I had someone who was old enough to be my mother and she wasn’t coping very well with the pressure.”

“So what did you do?”

“I gave up my lunch hours to coach her.”

“Did she pass?”

“I think she got a two two. Not exactly brilliant.”

“How did she feel about it?”

“She was delighted and went off to do a PGCE and become a biology teacher.”

“Good for her.”

“I don’t know, not sure if she’d cope with that pressure anymore than she did here.”

“But you did your best.”

“I tried.”

“Boss-lady, you are one hell of gal, d’you know that? You really are an angel, aren’t you?”

“Where’s that tea?” I said trying to hide my blushes.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
277 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy, it seems operates on

Cathy, it seems operates on the principle of "Tough Love". She wants all her students to work hard and do their best, but if they don't, especially after she has given them assistance or direction in some form or another. Then it is time truly wake them up by removing them from the course/s.
As she told Debbie, they are now supposed to be young adults and able to fend for themselves and not be held by the hand any longer.
Don't know about Universities and colleges in Great Britain, but many, many colleges and universities here in the US have gotten very bad reputations as "party central". Meaning forget schooling, let's just party all the time. And the grades show it at the end of the first semester in school. That is when so many students drop out of college.
Now we are seeing the results of all the permissiveness the past 10-15 years coming home to roost with the current crop of students who want it all now, and do not want to work for it.
They have no concept of the real world and believe they are entitled to a "Free Lunch" 24/7.

9:00 AM Floggings

College students being what they are, they can do poorly first term, but after that they work or flunk.

G

Playing the bad guy.

Rhona McCloud's picture

Interesting to read Cathy's thoughts on playing the bad guy as I've rarely done it in day-to-day life. It can feel exhilarating afterwards to have taken on an equal but I feel like a bully if someone can't fight back.

Rhona McCloud

As a very non-traditional

As a very non-traditional student, I completed my BS degree when I was 60, I have been in college classes where the students didn't do any work or participate in class then complain they were getting bad grades, I had no pity.

As a high school teacher I was very nice and let my students use their notes and handout on all the tests, but I wrote the tests based the knowledge they were using those materials. By the end of the first quarter the lazy students had dropped but the ones that were trying stuck with it. At the end of the year my students said my class was the hardest class they had but that they learned more too. Several students came in before school so we could work together, one-on-one, so they could understand better.

So I like Cathy's methods.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Janis stole my thoughts. The

Janis stole my thoughts. The best way to learn is Cathy's way. Too many kids skate through life, not applying themselves.
Tough Love indeed!

Karen

Truth often hurts

Christina H's picture

The point that these are young adults who are away from home for the first time and behave like children as Cathy pointed out until that point they have no concept of how hard and nasty real life can be.
So if a gentle or not so gentle reminder from their tutor suddenly makes them think that there is a possibility of getting kicked out then they may just think and they may just be a little bit ready for life after academia.

Go Cathy make responsible adults out of the rabble.

Christina

As the weeks go

by its clear that Diane's respect for her "boss lady" is increasing almost daily, Not that should come as surprise ,you only have to think back to when Cathy first started at the university and to where she is now, Maybe when Diane first started she may have thought that Cathy's position in the hierarchy was down to Tom's influence , Its fair to say now that she realizes that is very much not the case, No nepotism happening here...

Kirri

My wife told me that in the old days in the UK,

A levels (University entrance standard exams) would have prepared UK students for the self discipline and academic rigours of a university but apparently these days, years 12 and 13 are spoon fed everything and not taught to go and look it up.
Ang is right.
(Mind you I never went to school courtesy of the care system/prisons in 1952 so what do I know.

bev_1.jpg