Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2905

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2905
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I hate giving adults bad news, to do so to children is a dread. We got home and realised I had blood spattered on me. So ignoring the calls from the girls and Simon I rushed upstairs stripped off and jumped in the shower. After drying and dressing in casual clothes I returned downstairs and threw all the clothes I’d been wearing in the washing machine. Then I made James and Simon a cup of coffee and tea for Stella and me.

“Have you told them?” I asked James quietly.

“Not a dicky bird.”

“What you gonna tell us, Mummy?” asked Trish.

“Just where have you been?” demanded Simon.

“Bringing something to a conclusion albeit a very unsatisfactory one.”

“Girls, go and play for moment will you?”

“You never tell us nuffin’,” complained Trish but led the others out of the kitchen. I looked for Danielle and then realised she was playing football later so was either getting ready for it or had already left to go to the stadium.

“Where’s Danni?” I asked.

“They were going to Oxford so I dropped her off at the stadium, now where did you two go?”

“We went to see Ingrid.”

“I thought she was in hiding?” queried Simon.

“We found her with Sammi’s computer program.”

“And?”

“We informed the plod who arrived just in time to miss her again.”

“Then what?”

“I had a hunch she’d gone back to her usual lair and bingo, there she was.”

“There’s a but coming, isn’t there?”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“Go on...”

“She saw us made a run for it tripped getting into her car and was hit by a car coming the other way.”

“Is she badly hurt?” asked Stella.

“She died instantly.”

“That bad?”

I nodded.

“How are you going to tell Hannah?”

“Gently.”

“If you need any help...”

“Thanks, Stella.”

“I’ll go and distract the others,” offered Simon. I handed him a bag of mini chocolate eggs and suggested he hide them around the lounge and tell them there’s an egg hunt. He nodded and went off. Of course the girls all came into the kitchen following behind Trish.

“We want the truth—Mummy.”

“The truth eh? Okay, you’re a very demanding and occasionally rude little girl.”

“Nooo, not that...I’m not am I?” Her expression went from one of impertinent indignation to crestfallen in a second.

“Ready,” called Simon from the lounge.

“Daddy has just hidden some chocolate eggs in the lounge.”

Deciding that chocolate was the better part of valour, Trish reluctantly went off with the others. I called Hannah back and asked her to come with me to my study.

“Have I done something wrong, Mummy?” she asked.

“No sweetheart.”

“So why can’t I go on the egg hunt?”

“ I need to speak with you.”

“About her you mean?”

“Yes.”

“I haven’t heard nothin’.”

“I know, sweetheart.”

“Have the cops got her?”

“Uh no.”

“So why can’t I go and hunt eggs?”

“Hannah, I’m afraid Ingrid died this morning.”

“Yeah, so?”

“She was hit by a car getting into her car.”

“Can I go an’ hunt eggs now?”

“Are you listening to me, sweetheart? Your mother was killed this morning.”

“You didn’t do it, did you?”

“No but I was there.”

“Right, so you’re my mum now then. Can I go?”

I was so taken aback all I could do was nod and she dashed off before I changed my mind. Livvie was quite cold blooded about her parents’ deaths too. Have they already detached themselves from their parents beforehand? Or is there a reaction to come? I hate these situations where you have to wait for something to happen before you can react.

I went to make some more tea. “How’d it go?” asked James.

“She took it like I’d just told her the ice cream was finished.”

“Oh—does that mean it hasn’t sunk in?”

“I have no idea. Livvie was very matter of fact about the death of her parents.”

“What happened to them?”

“Her father killed her mother and then hanged himself in custody.”

“Right,” said his mouth but his expression said anything but.

“I’m going to speak to Stephanie,” I announced and went back to my study with a fresh cuppa.

“Cathy, it’s lovely to speak to you but it’s a Sunday morning and I’m willing to bet you weren’t just going to invite me over to lunch.”

“I was actually,” I lied.

“But while I’m there—who is it you want me to see?”

“Hannah.”

“What happened?”

“Her mother was killed this morning.”

“How d’you know?”

“I saw it happen.” I then went on to explain what happened—well the edited version—and Hannah’s response to it.

“What’s for lunch?” she sighed.

“What would you like?”

“Got any more of that Welsh lamb?”

“I might have, would you like that?”

“If you have I might just be available to eat some of it.”

“Done—what time?”

I wondered how this might affect the adoption plans. All I need is Social Services suggesting I killed her to expedite the adoption, which is nonsense. I didn’t want the woman dead, just out of the picture for a few years to give the kid a chance to grow up and get an education.

Simon came in to the study, “Here you are.”

“I always knew where I was, something to do with proprioceptor function.”

“Very funny.”

“I don’t feel at all amusing.”

“I suppose not. I just overheard Hannah tell Livvie that the adoption should go ahead now as Ingrid had been killed.”

“Our prayers worked then?” replied Livvie.

“Looks like,” said Hannah.

“Oh good,” said Livvie.

“They were actually praying for this to happen?”

“That’s what it sounded like.”

“That’s disgraceful.”

“That’s what I thought,” said Simon.

“Yes, everyone knows there’s no god so how’s praying going to facilitate anything?”

“There are people who might disagree, Cathy.”

“There always are, especially where religion is concerned.”

“What if you’re wrong?”

“What if they are, they perpetuate far more damage than I do.”

“I’m not going to argue with you, but I thought you ought to know.”

“There is no argument. For that you’d need to suggest facts, of which there are none, which support the existence of a deity.”

“I think I’ll see if my washing is dry?” so saying he decamped.

‘More double standards, Catherine? We hoped you’d moved beyond such things.’

The voice echoed in my head. It has to be just internal dialogue, there is nothing out there just space and lots more of the same. Why do people need gods? Is it just cultural or is it some sort of character flaw—needing reassurance or protection from the loneliness of responsibility? Yet some cleverer minds than mine believe, which perhaps just demonstrates cognitive ability is irrelevant because faith is an emotional decision.

I went to see if David was in yet and that there was to be a change of plan for dinner.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Closure?

shiraz's picture

Unlikely.

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Have a hard time believing that Cathy

Doesn't believe that something is out there. Too many experiences with supernatural beings.

Sad that Hannah took the news so easily. I hate to see a kid that cold.

Some say ...

Some say belief in God is for the weak. The actions of some people challenge my own belief that the majesty of what I see around me makes it unassailable to me. Though I know those who do not believe and are decent folk. Perhaps Cathy could simply allow others as much right to believe as she wants to not believe.

I think that Hanna will perhaps later grieve for what might have been, though it has taken me more than 65 years to do so. Just the other night I briefly wept for a mother that has been dead for more than 30 years. Many of us have very painful pasts but somehow we soldier on, whether by God or genetics I can not answer.

Forget what i said

yesterday about Hannah needing some TLC . Seems that young children have a focus and clearness of mind that sometimes we adults find difficult to replicate... Hannah wanted to become a Cameron the only thing in the way being her mother , Ingrid meets with an unfortunate accident so Hannah gets her wish... Was Hannah concerned ? Not one iota, In Hannahs young eyes her problem was solved and her new mum was stopping her finding some easter eggs .... Of course there is that possibility that sooner or later there could be a delayed sort of shock set in ... Somehow though i doubt it, Ingrid was really mean to her daughter, Children never forget that sort of thing !

Kirri

Hannah

Sammi's picture

is numb at the moment due to being abused, she will probably crash while watching TV or listening to the radio.
A song nudging a memory of happier times.

I hope everyone enjoys the lamb.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Wow!

Maddy Bell's picture

If Cathy is having lamb I want an invite too!

Oh yeah, nice chapter Ang

Still waiting for the invite


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

What a cold-blooded bunch !

What a cold-blooded bunch ! 'Hey,yer moms dead,' "good,where are the eggs?" "now she's dead, the adoption's easier" 'Good'
Phew, "I'm covered with blood, oh I'll change and toss this stuff in the dryer"

Karen

Nice

Christina H's picture

The Welsh Lamb I mean especially if it grazed on the coastline.

As for the reaction of Hannah, it will have registered somewhere and she may well reflect later.
But the way a kid thinks is I want this to happen but there's a problem now the problem has gone
what I want will happen and now I can go for the easter eggs.

Children do not over complicate things. its an adult trait.

Thanks again for the story

Christina

I do wish

that Cathy would at least admit that Shekirah (I hope I spelled that right) is at least a minor deity and that her blue light abilities are supernatural - at least to the extent that they can't be defined by the current state of science.

The Shekhinah

Julia Miller's picture

You were very close to her name. A tiny bit of info if you want to look it up. Rather than a female deity, the bible always refers to her as either the holy spirit or the holy ghost. I prefer to think of it as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Mother, but we know the bible was (re)written to take women out of the equation and make it a male-dominated religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah