Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2983

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2983
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

Tom hadn’t arrived by the time dinner was ready and I felt a little worried for him. I knew his heart was fine because I sorted it for him a year or two ago, but there are plenty of other bits to go wrong in an older man, especially a slightly portly individual who didn’t take much exercise other than walking his dog most days. Mind you, some days that was more than I got.

I asked David to hold dinner until I found out where Daddy was. I called his mobile but only got his voicemail where I left a message to say I was concerned about him and could he let me know he was okay. I tried calling the university dialling direct to his extension number but no one was answering.

I called Danielle to come with me and we dashed out to the university just in case something had happened. His car wasn’t in its reserved spot so he’d obviously left there but to do what or go where? I thought keeping track of the children was bad enough but elderly parents can be a nightmare. I remember listening to a fairly old lady saying she was busy gardening when a neighbour asked her where her mother was. She replied up in bed, to which the neighbour stated, ‘So who was that I saw walking naked down the road?’ The mother had Alzheimer’s disease and it was her, she’d slipped out the back door while her daughter was in the front garden.

Now I know he’s not dementing—I might be if I don’t find out where he is soon—so where has he gone without telling me and why? Last time he disappeared it was over that stupid woman whose husband stole that jewel from India. It can’t be her as she’s as dead as her husband. If he isn’t dead, I’m going to kill him slowly, worrying me like this—silly old fool. I spoke to the security man on the gate, he seemed to think Tom had left earlier than usual—not cherchez la femme again I hope.

It was after seven when we returned home and his car was still missing. Everyone else was there so we had dinner and I saved him a portion of everything and shoved it in the cool oven of the Aga after putting a plate cover over it.

Simon asked what was the matter—he does notice occasionally—but since I’d been twitchy all evening, his powers of observation are not improving—unless it relates to the exchange rates for currencies or the FT index/share prices. I couldn’t tell you what any of those were about though the news was on about the pound being at its lowest for thirty years or some such thing. The news also said that that creep Gove was standing for the leadership of the Tory party—doubt Boris will vote for him. The other two Mrs May or Mrs Leadsom seem the better supported which could mean we have a woman for Prime Minister next time around. Given the only previous experience of this was Mad Maggie who destroyed several public services and industries, it doesn’t necessarily bode well, but there’s nothing I can do about it. Leadsom seems a bit religious which is worrying in a politician who’s attempting to become the country’s leader, especially a secular country like Britain. I know the queen claims to have a strong faith, but she does tend to be discreet about it.

At ten my phone rang. It was Tom and he was fine except he’d been to Romsey to give Siemen’s a piece of his mind and his car had broken down on the way home. He’d had to wait for breakdown assistance and he popped in a pub across the road while he waited—hence no call back from my call. He’d also left the phone on charge in his car while he went off in search of sustenance so didn’t hear it ringing. He was now on his way home and didn’t require me to keep his meal hot having eaten in the pub. He was well so I couldn’t say anything except I was happier to have heard from him.

I told Simon and he said he could see me almost physically unwind as I did so. I know I’m a bit of a worrier, but most mothers are, it goes with the territory. Simon made us some tea and Stella appeared. She’d been putting her girls back to bed and asked if I’d heard from Tom. Simon told me we had and he’d be home soon. I’m sure she can smell the teapot or sense when we use it. Simon made another pot and as he poured it, a car came up the drive so he poured another cup, this time for Tom.

Tom came in looking very tired. I handed him the cup of tea and he thanked me and sipped it. It transpired that it wasn’t Siemens’ decision to contract us he’d jumped the gun somewhat. However, the US parent company decided they liked the idea but not with a British university because of the Brexit decision. Tom said Siemens seemed genuinely upset about it and asked him to convey his apologies to me.

Given the time I’d already wasted on the matter I was furious. Tom seemed to think that we should continue the research and poke him in the eye with it if he complained. I asked him what good would it do and what was the blue sky thinking about blue sky thinking? In two minutes he’d convinced me that knowledge was never lost simply overlooked. Julie tried to convince them that I was actually worse than they suggested and I came close to thumping her though I knew her teasing wasn’t meant to make me homicidal.

I asked the most pertinent question, “Where was the money coming from?”

His response was to leave it with him but to strike while the Iron was hot. I told him the iron hadn’t even been plugged in.

“Sae thae stories I’m hearin’ are jest rumours are they, aboot ye haeing talks wi’ engineers an’ biochemists aboot dormice brain activity.”

“That is hardly the same thing at all. I was still trying to get him some costings when the bugger pulled the plug on the whole scheme.”

“Sae, do it an’ find a new customer.”

“Like who?”

“Uncle Sam,” he said chuckling.

“What the US government?”

“Aye, they’ll be the ones tae commission such research and you could get yersel’ a head’s start.”

I never really saw myself as rocket scientist, rocky perhaps but not rocket, except Trish has to do a survey for hedgehogs.”

“An’ whit has my grand dochter tae dae wi’ sending people tae thae moon?”

“Nothing as far as I know,” but then what about all those times I don’t know about?

“Aye, there’s thae rub...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
243 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I absolutely know the feeling ...

"he could see me almost physically unwind"

Yes and after the unwind it's almost hard to keep standing because the tension just drains out and you want to flop down in a chair. Whew Angharad, you sure brought that one home.

To be or not to be

littlerocksilver's picture

The way our congress is at the moment, I doubt if they would donate anything to dormouse studies. They're too busy worrying about what bathroom to use.

Portia

Other ways

EPA or National Science Foundation or another agency that doesn't get a second look at spending could bypass the 535 clowns and six delegates to get the money...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Something's afoot.

Not much of a conspiracy theorist here, but something is causing the richest of the world to simply sit on their money in the safest places in the world. The younger in America are already stuck in a semi feudal system, and it is only going to get worse. Part of it in America is a quiet but vicious labor war and right now it looks like the rich have won. We never really had Democracy but an Oligarchy and they are tightening our slave collars. The olds will remember President Eisenhower warning us that the Military Industrial complex was dangerous and that was in vain. The 9/11 "attack" was only used by the rich to dupe us all, and was used as an excuse by Evil 43 to rape and pillage Iraq. I know a lot of our best in America and the UK and other countries gave a piece of themselves, or even died there, but the village idiot and his hench men were only there to gorge on oil.

I am wondering if the situation here in the colonies is actually worse than Brexit in the UK?

Gwen

"Fly me to the moon"

Who'd of thought the US government would invest in Hazel Dormice ?
Well, we invent the jet engine, and let the Brits perfect it.
We invent SONAR (1/4 mile from where I sit) bring it to GB, they rename it ASDIC and get the credit.
Imagine, dormice in space !

Karen