Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2925

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2925
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

For the first time I really saw Debbie completely lost, she was floundering in an ocean of life which was outside her experience. I wanted to intervene but if I did, if I rescued her, the girls would have no respect for her. She had to swim for shore by herself while sat there watching every painful stroke and feeling it every bit as much as she did. She knew I was Lady Catherine Cameron, the problem was she didn’t seem to know who Lady Catherine Cameron was—not really.

“If you wanna see it sometime, I’m sure we could take you,” offered Livvie.

“D’you know if Schrodinger’s cat is alive or dead?” asked Einstein—though in actual fact that would be an insult to Einstein or Schrodinger. Einstein couldn’t stand Quantum theory and declined to have anything to do with it. Perhaps I need to start nicknaming her Planck, but that would seem like an insult, like thick as two short Plancks—nah doesn’t work and Heisenberg is too long to play with. I’ll stick to Einstein and everyone will know who I mean.

“What?” gasped Debbie looking at Trish.

“Schrodinger’s cat, it’s a conceptualised illustration demonstrating the duality in Quantum Mechanics.”

“I know that.”

“You do?” Beamed Trish feeling she’d found a likeminded soul.

“I did a year of physics before switching to biology.”

“Why?” Trish seemed perplexed by her statement.

“I decided I wanted to work in the real world not one in my head.” Needless to say I enjoyed hearing that statement.

“What about Quantum biology?” asked Trish having watched a programme about it on television.

“What about it?”

“Well doesn’t it begin to explain lots of things which were never explained in biology, like how do birds learn to migrate along certain pathways?”

“It may do, or it may not,” said Debbie giving Trish back a Quantum answer but she was too young to appreciate it.

“It does, I watched this programme on it...” continued Trish, intellectually nonpareil,
but lacking in experience of argument.

“Just forget it sweetheart, go and build a fusion machine...” I teased her.

“You’d be surprised if I did.”

“A little but I’d be immensely proud of you as they presented you with your Nobel prize.”

“You think they would?”

“I’m certain but you might have to rewrite physics somewhat.”

“Oh I’ll probably have to do that sometime, anyhow.” Her modesty was overwhelming some days, but today wasn’t one of them.

“Is she for real?” asked Debbie as Trish and the others withdrew to watch some film on the television.

“She is and believe me she actually knows what she’s talking about.”

“How old is she?”

“Ten, nearly eleven going on twenty five.”

“I can’t say I’ve ever met a kid like her before.”

“She is very gifted though at times a little short of patience with ordinary mortals like me.”

“Go on, she must take after you, you’re her mother.”

“I’m afraid all my children are adopted.”

“All of them, even the little ones?”

“Cate or Catherine was almost willed on me when her mother died of a broken heart after her father and older sister died in a car accident. Lizzie, the youngest, I agreed to look after for her mother who hanged herself—she was one of our technicians, so was Neal, her father, he died after never recovering from his wife’s death. We think she had some sort of postnatal depression, he just went to pieces afterwards. I was supposed to be having her until he recovered enough to look after her but he never recovered. They were both lovely people, Phoebe is his sister, so Lizzie’s auntie.”

“How have you got Phoebe as well?”

“Her mum died from cancer and she came to stay with us and sort of grew into another daughter.”

“How come they’re all girls—don’t you adopt boys?”

Mima arrived and saved me having to answer Debbie’s question. “Mummy, the button’s come off my dowwy’s cardi, can you sew it back on?” She presented me with the garment and the button.

“How come you can’t do it?”

“You do it betta an’ quicka.”

I sent her off to find my repair kit inside my sewing box. She returned in moments rattling the box, which is actually an old highland shortbread tin, which was originally my mother’s. I threaded a needle with a small length of cotton and doubled it before knotting the end, then quickly sewed the button on before shipping off any excess cotton with my needlework scissors and handing the garment back to Mima.

“Thank you, Mummy,” she said before scurrying off back to her dollies which she was playing with Cate and occasionally when they tolerated her, Lizzie as well.

“You’ve obviously done that before,” said Debbie looking at me with a curious expression.

“More times than I can count. She pops them off for a pastime. It’s hardly rocket science.”

“I never learned to sew—not even a button.”

“Didn’t you learn in school?”

“No—they didn’t do it.”

“Your mother obviously didn’t show you then?”

“No. Is that where you learned, from your mum?”

“Mostly, I’ve acquired ideas and the odd lesson from other people. I’ve done a few things over the years, made or altered curtains, did some dressmaking with Danielle and the others, shortened trousers and so on.”

“Wow, can you show me how to shorten trousers? I bought some the other week and unless I wear stilt high heels they’re too long, though the fit everywhere else is perfect.”

“Bring them into work tomorrow and I’ll show you how to do it, I’ll bring my sewing kit in.”

“That would be absolutely brilliant.”

“It isn’t rocket science. It’s a skill and requires a bit of planning and practice. Come on through to the study and I show what you need to have for doing some easy repairs and alterations.” I called Danielle and asked her to bring Debbie and me a cuppa.

I was busy showing Debbie my sewing box when Danielle arrived with the tray of tea and biscuits—my Lotus ones—where did the little bugger find those? “Cindy’s on the phone, can she come over?”

“Yes, but I’m not promising to take her home afterwards?”

“Okay,” she dashed off before I could change my mind. She hadn’t been over for ages and she wasn’t a bad kid really.

“You were saying that Danielle is good at football?”

“Yes, she’s a school girl international and has also played for England Ladies.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me? It seems they all have your superpowers—you don’t wear your knickers over your tights, do you?”

“Only when it’s very cold—don’t wear tights very often.”

“They can get a bit warm in certain areas.”

“Quite. So what colour are these trousers?”

“Actually, there’s two pairs—one pair is black and the others are grey.”

“I hope it’s bright tomorrow or we’re going to struggle—why don’t you go and get them now and we can use my machine to over-sew the cut ends.”

“Oversew?”

“Yes, an interlocking stitch to stop them fraying.”

“You sure about this—I mean I don’t like to impose.”

“Go and get them, I’ll set up the machine.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Social life-ring

Rhona McCloud's picture

Nothing beats a shared physical task to join people as equals - it helps if the people can chat as they are working. I thought Cathy and Debbie's relationship was doomed but maybe not.

Rhona McCloud

Not a bad kid actually?

My how time dulls one's memory, the nagger whacker !

G

My mother's old sewing machine was from the 60s

All it had was a straight stitch. OTOH, the bloody thing will no doubt outlive me and many generations to come. It is built like the proverbial tank and is housed in its own piece of furniture. You can't find such things these days.

My grandmother (my mom's

My grandmother (my mom's mother) was a real seamstress in her own right, as well as being an extremely well known cook and cafe owner in the Bay Area of San Francisco.
She was still using her SINGER single stitch, PEDAL operated sewing machine when she passed away at age 84.
She had received it when she got married in 1915.
She also did quilting, by hand in her supposed "free time".
Once when I was visiting her, I noticed a large pile of what looked liked folded quilts next to her machine, and I asked what she was making?
She replied "lap robes for the old people". She was 80 at the time.
I retorted "Old, Gramma? Aren't you 80 yourself?"
She responded, and I will never, ever forget this comment "Old is 10 years older than you are".
I live by that saying now, going on 74 this Sept.
And there were lots of people both men and women I met and worked with in the Air Force, that I helped by showing them how to sew on buttons and other items to their uniforms.
Personally, I don't care if you are a girl or a boy, basic life skills should be taught to ALL children in High School, even if it is for just one semester. Does not have to be called "Home Economics" perhaps "Life Skills" would be more appropriate in the long run.
This INCLUDES how to do your checkbook and/or internet banking and savings. PLUS how to do basic cooking, creating a shopping list, pricing out food items, and simple stuff you just basically need to stay alive on your own after you "leave the nest".
Take care, Janice

Cool

I watch my mom use that machine so I definitely know how to operate it. She was not a great seamstress by any means but I still loved watching her use it. As her only daughter I will lay claim to it and bring it home one day.

And yet,

someone hasn't twigged that Cathy is transgendered.

Time for a deep breath. Look

Time for a deep breath. Look at that, Lady Catherine hems jeans !!

Karen

Cathy shows off

yet another talent, Poor Debbie must be wondering who this super being is that she has started working for, You cannot help but wonder what might happen next, ... If Debbie is not in awe of her boss now she certainly would be if she see's Cathy defending her family or friends against one of the many enemies Cathy has accumulated... Hopefully it will never come to that but in the world of Lady Catherine Cameron, Never say never ..

Kirri