Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2904

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2904
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

We parked the Porsche down the road from the two houses that the phone was in. It wasn’t eight o’clock yet—I tell a lie, the church a couple of streets away, chimed eight. I counted them, next week the clocks go forward so altering that one should be more challenging than any we have at home. My computer alters the time itself, so why can’t my bloody phone—no, I have to alter it by hand and the clock in the car, yet you can buy watches that adjust themselves—just typical.

Instead of futile internal dialogues I should have been trying to tune into Ingrid, but neither house seemed wanting to cooperate. I suppose there is one way to find out if she’s in there, knock the door and ask. Had I been tidier dressed I could have pretended I was some Christian canvasser reminding people about it being Easter next weekend, unless you’re Eastern Orthodox—don’t ask me why, because I thought it was all due to phases of the moon or some such thing, but then I don’t believe in it anyway, but I probably know enough to bullshit my way on a doorstep.

“We could always set fire to both of them and see who comes out,” suggested James.

“What if the program which locates the phone got it wrong?”

“The police would probably evacuate houses either side so we’d have checked four of them.”

“How would you propose setting fire to them?”

“Petrol on a bit of rag through the letter box.”

“Go on then,” I said yawning thinking I should have stayed in bed.

“I was joking,” he said.

“You think I wasn’t?”

He shrugged.

“Gee thanks, James, what d’you think I am, some sort of monster driven by goal achievement?”

“Uh...”

I shook my head, “Look, I know there are women who are monsters, the Nazi death camps employed a few of them. But I’m not one of them, okay?”

“I know—you’re too young for starters.”

“You what?” He was about to run away when we saw a curtain twitch and we knew which house.

We walked back to the car and waited. I called the police and reported what we’d seen. They logged it. While we were waiting the mini shot out of the garage and flew down a lane behind the houses. It was barely wide enough for the Porsche and at least one dustbin or black bag got squished against the wall. At the end of the lane we came to a T junction and we hadn’t seen which way she’d gone, but there was a transit van coming down towards us at speed, knocking bins flying.

“I think they might be hostiles,” I said as James swung the car down the right hand part of the junction pulling out into the road we’d just come from. He quickly parked behind a four wheel drive car and the van was past us before they saw us. They stopped and began reversing back. James jumped out of his car and urged me to do the same. James ran to the driver’s door of the van and in one very fast movement, wrenched it open, punched the driver and dragged him out onto the road, where he hit him again and bloke went down like a sack of spuds. Obviously his friend tried to follow him out of the van and James kicked the door shut on him. His head shattered the window and he fell back into the cab of the van.

At the same time as this was happening the other thug got out the passenger door and went to attack James from behind obviously not seeing me. I ran up behind him, kicked him at the back of the knee and as he groaned and started to fall, James hit him and he fell face first onto the tarmac.

“These the three who wrecked your car?”

“I think it highly likely.”

Of course this was when the police arrived and we got a free ride in a police car—back to the main police station in Portsmouth. The three men were taken off by ambulance.

We both demanded to call our lawyers. When the desk sergeant took my name he groaned quietly something about being too young to lose his pension. I simply stood and smiled innocently at him. I was pleased that James wasn’t carrying a gun, because then it could have proved awkward.

We agreed to give a statement by which time Jason had arrived and approved it and we were free subject to a complaint by the three injured men. I explained that they were chasing us and we had taken defensive action, especially given the previous attack on my car when they frightened my kids to death, not to mention my own fright. Given that they’d all been battered, I felt more or less even on that count. However, Ingrid had escaped again.

Jason grumbled the whole time he drove us back to collect the Porsche until I reminded him he was paid for his assistance. “Double time on a Sunday,” he suggested and I told him to speak to Simon about it.

“Can I test a hunch?”

“But of course.”

“Take me round to her original address.”

When we got there a dark coloured mini was parked on the road a few doors away. It had one or two scratches on the sides which looked very recent. She’d gone home.

“Can we burn this one down?” joked James and I began to wonder if he was a bit crazier than I usually thought.

“No.”

“Spoilsport,” he whinged like a six year old.

Almost while we were still arguing Ingrid ran out of her house and towards the car carrying two cases. I was out of the car and after her in an instant. She didn’t see me until she turned to open the door of the car. I think she was surprised that her three little piggies hadn’t nobbled us, but then I had back up today in the shape of the big bad wolf.

She hurled a suitcase at me and I managed to catch it and throw it back at her, it caught her on the back just as she opened the car door pushing her between the door and the car, just as a car came down the road the other way and clipped the door of the car and the other case.

The door shut against her neck and... the blood was everywhere. The case shattered as the car hit it and twenty pound notes began swirling round the road. The driver of the car fainted in shock and it took me a moment to deal with the situation I’d just witnessed. James was on his phone for police and ambulance.

As no one had actually witnessed what had happened I explained that she’d try to board the car but had slipped and the rest was history. The street was quite narrow and the man driving the other car was going too fast but even so. He was still hysterical when they took him away.

“So how come you’re not?” asked the chief inspector.

“What good would it do if I were?”

“You’re a bit too cool at times, Lady Cameron.”

“Am I, well Chief Inspector, I now have to go home and explain to her daughter what happened.”

“I’d spare her the detail if I were you.”

I looked at James and he just rolled his eyes.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooh yuck

Podracer's picture

Messy end to a messy situation. Going by the luggage, it seems that Ingrid didn't believe in banks. Or perhaps income tax.

"Reach for the sun."

couldn't

Maddy Bell's picture

Happen to a nicer person - thankfully - very interesting method of demise, not come across that before.

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Death

I think by now Ang has used up all the other ways to die.

Karen

I suppose it had

to end like that , Otherwise the threat of Ingrid would always have been there in the background for both Cathy and Hannah .... Its never nice to lose a parent but Ingrid had abdicated that role some time ago , Hannah will need lots of TLC , With Cathy and the rest of the Camerons you can be certain she will get it ...

Kirri

Very Fitting

littlerocksilver's picture

Not much to say in her defense (defence for those across the pond). I hope her daughter can accept things and not have extensive PTSD.

Portia

Relatives

I never had any feeling whatsoever for my stepfather, in fact I was pleased that he died. My own Mum and Father were detached and cold, my Father never around, so I did not have much feeling for them. Hopefully the young one will get through this without much trauma and soldier on.

Nice episode.

Gwen

Kismet

But then again, that driver should never travel so fast on a residential street. I have that problem on my dead end road. Ostensibly the speed limit is 25 so 30 is not unreasonable actually and it is just wide enough for two lanes of traffic. Unfortunately I see lots of folks barreling through at 45 or so as my house is right in the middle of this block and they can get up a head of steam, coming and going.

Speeding a bit on the highway/motorway/interstate etc is one thing, where there is plenty of room to maneuver is not horrible but folks really must be really careful in residential neighborhoods.

I'm not too sure that Hannah

I'm not too sure that Hannah will be all that broken up about the death of her mum. I base this on several of her previous comments over the course of the story after she came to live with Cathy and the girls and Simon. She also said she wanted to be adopted by Cathy, because she could not stand her mum and hated her. I do believe she will have a little bit of remorse, just because it was her mum who died, but I just don't look for her to go all super sorrowful over it.

The thing I would worry about

is Hanna somehow blaming herself for her Mom's death. It doesn't make sense, but in these things logic rarely does.

We're did the Money come from??

Christina H's picture

If it was from laying back and thinking of England then she's been a busy girl or was she involved with the dreaded VC (deceased)
the possibilities are endless and only one Lady knows.

Great story as usual thanks for your hard work

Christina

Shucks

Lady Cameron In Full Fight mode has caused many to loose their heads. She is just the latest
Don't the police cars have radios? As soon as Cameron goes over the air, the desk Sargent should radio not to bring them in.

Karen

Sad to Ingrid dead but

Where did she get the money? Hoping that will be the subject of a police investigation.... And that if they can't find a reason not to that the money be given to her daughter.

Wondering if she sold her daughter and was paid in advance. If that's the case the threats to the family aren't finished.