Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2961

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2961
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“I’m going to Bristol at the weekend, I wondered if I might take Pud and perhaps take her over to see Dave and Sue Lane?”

“You taking any of yours with you?”

“I haven’t asked them yet but I suspect Trish or Livvie might want to come, meems will want to be with her dad.”

“She really loves Simon, doesn’t she?”

“Yes she does, and he spoils her rotten, but given her own father was an absent figure for most of her life, it’s understandable that she tries to compensate with Simon, who thrives on it, too.”

“He’s as much of a father figure to my two as well, with Tom and Dad, so maybe seeing Dave lane will be good for her.”

“Why don’t you come as well?”

“Uh no thanks, I don’t think I dare show my face anywhere near them after what happened at Des’ funeral.”

“Stella, you were ill, no one thought badly of you, especially Dave and Sue—they understood.”

“That’s more than I did, no perhaps next time.”

“I’ll have to see if they’re available.” I went off and phoned and they said they would be. I hinted that I was bringing some of the children if that was okay and it was. I decided not to raise their hopes in case Stella does an about face and stop Puddin’ coming with me.

I asked Livvie and she said she’d come but Trish wasn’t that interested saying something about doing something with Sammi. As that’s a rare event I decided I’d leave them to it. I didn’t expect Danielle to want to waste her Saturday but she surprised me and said she’d come.

Later on that day I had a call from Andy Bond to say they were still investigating Joshua Dell but it looked as if some sort of prosecution was going to happen or at least be passed to the DPP to decide if there was a case to answer. While it was still up in the air, it did sound positive so I felt okay about it.

There’d been a recent case in the UK about some photographer a British man who’d been convicted of goodness knows how many child sex crimes in Malaysia ranging from six months old to teenage. How anyone could harm a six month old baby is mind boggling, especially for their own sexual gratification—it just doesn’t compute in my mind, as I suspect it wouldn’t in most people’s minds, men or women. I feel he should serve the rest of his life behind bars, but this is England so I know he won’t—it’s too expensive to keep him behind bars. However long they keep him there, he’ll still be a threat when he comes out which I think is unacceptable. I mean he abused about seventy kids and took videos and photos of it to share with his twisted friends on the dark net. Had it been my kids he’d messed with, he’d be lying in a ditch somewhere minus various bits of his anatomy—like his vital organs, arms, legs and head.

I calmed myself down—child sexual abuse was inexcusable and unforgiveable and totally unacceptable anywhere. It is illegal as well as immoral and makes me angry. I went and made some more tea and went back to my paperwork—like marking or second marking exam papers—gives new meaning to tedium and I hate it. I’d rather wash down one of the laboratories than realise how many of our students hadn’t grasped the basics of either biology or ecology. Was that because they weren’t there? It certainly looked as if they’d been absent, because, let’s face it, if you attend enough lectures and tutorials or read the odd book, you tend to learn something. Some of these struggled to write coherently, to form a sentence let alone form an argument or discuss a hypothesis. I suspect most of them thought it was the diagonal bit in a right angled triangle.

We did have three bright sparks who could well get firsts if they kept their concentration up. I hadn’t seen their papers yet so I’d wait and see, but a few of them looked to be re-sitting or being sent down for lack of effort.

Every year I give a similar warning, we’re a university not a social club, that the students were there to study or apply their learning. If they didn’t without very good reason, they would end up being sent down, an ignominy in anyone’s language.

The week seemed to drag by then suddenly galloped past in the final furlong and it was up to Bristol with Danni, Livvie and Puddin’. I was pleasantly surprised that Stella let me take her and she chattered away with Livvie in the back of the car while Danni either listened to the radio or chatted with me. I also let her set the satnav to the Lane’s house and we arrived at my parent’s old house at mid morning. The weather was nice, nicer than it had been at Portsmouth, so we set to the chores I’d identified as needing done before we went to see the Lanes.

The younger girls helped me with the housework while Danni in shorts and vest mowed the lawns for me. I then treated them to fish and chips for their lunch, going to get it while Danni watched the younger children. It was from the shop where Malcolm Bragg had worked when I’d last seen him, a couple or more years ago. He wasn’t there but the quality of the product was still good.

Replete, we cleaned up and set off for Des’ parent’s house, it was now two o’clock in the afternoon. I hoped we’d be finished by three so we could go and enjoy the sunshine, perhaps to grab an ice cream and a walk along the canal.

The house was in a part of Bristol I didn’t know very well, not surprising as it’s a biggish city once being England’s second city, though that has been usurped by either Manchester or Birmingham these days. Despite the satnav, we appeared to have got rather lost and I had to phone them and ask for directions. Dave thought it was hilarious, given I’d spent much of my life there. I found it embarrassing.

Danni discovered we’d entered the wrong post code, so were lucky we hadn’t ended up in Swindon or Bath—mind you, Bath is a lovely city unlike Swindon, which used to be a railway town—they had a huge depot there. Nowadays, it’s known as the place of roundabouts, some of which confuse people who’ve lived there all their lives. Thankfully, we hadn’t ended up there and given our luck so far that day, we’d probably run out of fuel driving round in circles.

It wasn’t to be, and I spotted Dave waving to us at the end of his drive. At last we were there and while Danni entered our next destination in the satnav, I parked between their caravan and their large Skoda car, which I presumed pulled it. I hoped we weren’t going to be here too long.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

'Nother good one

Child sexual abuse deserves the death penalty, the old way, hanging!
Very funny way to describe some of her "scholars" the right triangle description.
I forgot Cathy's Bristol house was vacant.

Karen

Paedophilia!

The issues surrounding paedophiles both frightens me and yet exercises what little intellect I have.

Knowing what I do from my own circumstances and knowing that ;for example', transvestites, transsexuals and gays are (I firmly believe,) born that way then I am forced to ask myself if paedophiles are born paedophilic. If they are; then how can they be treated? We punish them if we catch them abusing children and the inevitable accusations arise that paedophilia is 'not natural' so they should punished as severely as the law allows or demands. However many believe that homosexuality or transvestism or even trans-genderism is 'not natural' and those issues can still be contentious or cause for disharmony.
If paedophiles are born not made (Nature v nurture,) then I'm at a loss as to how to treat them medically and how do we protect our children from them if we discover that an individual is a paedophile but has not up to that juncture knowingly committed any crime. I mean I don't think we can imprison a paedophile simply for being a paedophile; he has to commit an offence first. But, if we already know an individual has previous convictions then what???

bev_1.jpg

Molestation Robs the Victim

I remember only the three boys saying they were going to cornhole me, and being sore the next morning. I was about 14 and did not remember even that until my early 30's. Shrinks say they can tell about people who have been molested even if they do not reveal it, though I can not understand how. It is right to punish the perpetrator in the most severe way possible, and castration should be included though may not stop it.

On the other hand, "Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.", Dillan Thomas.

Because they beat me once, it does not mean I should be an easy mark again ...

WOW!

Christina H's picture

Beverly that is some line of reasoning and a hard one to get your head around but if it is a 'nature' thing then there is a problem
which current thinking is not ready to tackle.
Hypothesis versus Hypotenuse interesting to say the least.

Christina

While I do not claim to have the answers

I have consistently heard boys who have been victims are more likely to grow up and offend themselves. This suggests a strong psychological component, one that needs treatment for the victims. Like most people, my first instinct is revenge, but I would rather have a solution that works. If it requires Coventry then so be it.

I just hope things work out for Cathy and Co.

Yes,

You're right, some childhood victims do grow up to offend but I have seen no figures to show if the frequency of abused children becoming offenders is any greater than the frequency of un-abused children becoming offenders.
I was abused horrendously but I never went on to become an offender. For over four decades, I disassociated myself completely from every aspect of social intercourse that might have brought me back into contact with potential or actual offenders, (Including not even associating with other trans-people.) such was the enduring trauma caused by my having been abused.
I would love to learn if Paedophilia is 'nature or nurture' and see how the medical profession then deals with it, not to mention the legal profession. What research has been done.
I only put the questions, I have no answers and I am certainly not disposed toward paedophiles.
Currently the issue is treated with hatred and fear (not least by such as me and others who were abused,) but my reasoning side wonders what society can do if paedophilia is 'nature not nurture'.

bev_1.jpg

Transgender as a normal variation

I've increasingly begun to feel that binary culture causes transgenderism, and all the other variations around the so called gender norm. In my studies of human genetics, it is clear that humans simply are not just male and female, and that there are wide variations between that. In the case of myself, I would have been quite content to be an effeminate male, and that the macho, risk taking, male was purely a role I was forced to. I doubt that I was ever fully female, though the more I read about XXY folk it seems as if they are sort of the universal human since there are instances of these folk developing as fully functional males or females depending upon if they are given estrogen or testosterone.

I'm not optimistic that humanity will survive unless there is behavior modification that will make us all less irascible and selfish. And there are those who advance the idea that homo sapiens has advanced to some level and fallen back to near extinction several times. My own personal feeling is that sexual predators should be terminated.

How it occurs is irrelevant

Angharad's picture

what matters is that people understand that anyone who molests children especially very young ones will face draconian punishment. They surely know it's wrong to abuse people who are unable to give informed consent which means anyone under the age of sixteen for most people, but for those in vulnerable groups, age is irrelevant as they're unable to make informed decisions.

For scum like the man mentioned in the story, which is a real life case, life should mean life. He admitted to 71 charges and shows no remorse. He has to serve 25 years for 22 life sentences - that's a joke. He'll be out at 55 and still, I suspect, a danger to children unless he meets with an accident in prison - as they often do.

Angharad

I waited a bit before jumping

I waited a bit before jumping back in. I'm talking about repeat molesters like in Ang's article, also those that molest infants and toddlers.
Recently in the US we had a 3 week old little girl raped!!. Maybe hanging is too good ! On this issue Angharad and I are in lockstep.

Karen

Ahhh , Fish & Chips

that great british delicacy , I wonder though if they taste as good down south as they do up north , My own personal taste testings suggest not , But that could be the fact you always tend to enjoy the food from the area you were bought up most of all , For what its worth though the best f&c i have ever eaten came from Whitby , They were so lovely even Dracula may have given up blood for them ...

Kirri

pedo boy put a round in the

pedo boy put a round in the back of the head hole in the woods job done. A real scummer this scumbag. The flith such as this should be put in the ground.

I am late to the party but I

I am late to the party but I wanted to add my $.02 to the mix.

To me and to many these monsters do it for the power. The power over someone smaller and weaker than them. Their victims are too scared or too ignorant to fight back and those who know what is happening are too frightened by the stigma that being abused carries that they refuse to say anything. It's a large reason why perverted priests are able to get away with their crimes for so many centuries and why so many scoutmasters and coaches are able to operate for so long before someone does something. It's why so many relatives and close friends are able to get away with it.

Fear is a powerful force, holding power over someone causes fear and in youngsters this fear will allow scumbags to do anything they want with them.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime