Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1216.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1216
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Home is where the heart is, or should that be hearth? Trish and I got back to discover Simon and Danny putting up a Christmas tree and Daddy trying to light a fire. I’ve probably mentioned before that the lounge fireplace is big enough to stand in. In the centre is a metal cage in which one burns logs plus the odd lump of coal. The ash falls through and can be cleared without having to dowse the fire. When it’s just wood ash, Daddy saves it for his vegetable garden, it’s rich in potash and other stuff.

When we walked in, Tom was busy with set of bellows trying to get the thing to burn up but only succeeded in causing lots of smoke to billow into the room. “Daddy, what’re you doing?” I asked taking the bellows off him.

“They said it wis gang tae be cauld, sae I thocht if I warumed tha lum , it would help keep the hoose warum. I haed some wood delivered an’ Leon helped me stack in tha woodshed, it’s a’ seasoned an’ dry.”

“Here let me do that.” I took the bellows off him and by chance got lucky and the wood crackled and burst into flame.

“We can all see where you’re going,” called Simon.

I responded by singing, “I’m a lumberjack and I’m all right...” from Monty Python, which immediately set him off with the rest of the song. The kids thought it was wonderful–the song, that is–but then lots of Python humour was aimed at the five-year-old in all of us.

Leon brought enough wood to stack it at the side of the hearth, about a yard from the actual fire. It does get warm but not enough to spontaneously combust, but it does dry and is great for starting fires–although we’d not had any since last winter and so it was all cold and damp wood that Daddy was using.

I got Leon to bring in the basket of logs and place them by the side of the fireplace, not in direct line with the fire but close enough for them to get nice and dry as well. In half an hour, I had a nice blaze going and I shoved some large potatoes wrapped in foil under the fire cage. They would cook in an hour or so in the ash as it dropped from the logs above and they would taste delicious.

Tom having recovered from his exertions with the fire, sat in an easy chair and read to the children. Danny and Simon still fought with the tree, and fused the lights at one point. Fortunately, because he’s done it so often, Simon knew where to go to fix it and reset the trip switch and as usual, he banged his head and came out from under the stairs rubbing his bonce and swearing. Oh well it keeps the boys happy, the girls were quite happy listening to Daddy reading Roald Dahl’s, The BFG.

I got on making a salad and mixing up some tuna and mayonnaise to go in the baked potatoes. By the time I’d got that all ready and boiled the kettle, Stella was down with Puddin’ and they were sitting listening to Gramps reading. When I asked who wanted tea, I realised Jenny was sitting in the corner with my baby asleep in her arms also listening to the story. Only Jules and I were missing.

Leon had finished stacking the wood–a ton of it–pretty backbreaking work. The lorry comes in tips the wood and goes. In the old days, I’ve done it on my own and with others if only to ensure that Tom didn’t have to do it. The woodshed is about the size of a small garage–remember this was once a farm–and can hold two or three tons of wood providing it’s stacked properly. Once it gets over six feet high, it gets potentially dangerous, so that’s as far as we go.

Because of the fire risk, Tom had smoke alarms and sprinklers fitted, it meant the insurance came down with a bump. That’s been extended to all the outbuildings now and was organised by Maureen–though she’s been so busy doing stuff for the bank, she’s rather neglected us.

The money she’s earned has meant she can pay off her mortgage and get a new car and also afford some electrolysis, which has meant quite an improvement in her appearance along with a greater sense of worth. She’ll never be a beauty, but now she doesn’t scream navvy in a dress when you look at her. Hopefully she’ll come for Christmas assuming she’s not out with her latest friend–okay, it’s another tranny, but so what? If they’re happy that’s all that counts. I’ve told her to bring her friend along but she went all coy when I mentioned it.

I keep forgetting that because puberty didn’t happen to me until I started oestrogens and my three GID kids will start hormones as soon as it’s appropriate and I mean about eleven or twelve as in a normal female puberty, even if I have to take them abroad to Holland or Germany–though I suspect Stephanie will prescribe them when it’s time. Hopefully, they’ll be even better shaped and looking than I am–not that I have much to complain about compared to many.

I decided that I would speak to Stephanie about Trish becoming a bit excessive in lording it over the others. In this house everyone has a voice, but the adults are those who make decisions–mainly, Daddy and I, although Si and Stella are involved when they need to be although they tend to defer decisions to me. Usually that means I get to choose the colour of carpets and curtains or wallpaper. I think I’m quite good at matching colours but I do show what I’m intending before it’s ordered and they have a chance to say if they have disagreements with me. Usually they don’t because that would mean I’d delegate it to them to do. Stella did it once with her bedroom–which I thought was as it should be, but she hated the process and ended up with the decorator choosing for her–crazy, but apparently that’s what they used to do when they lived at the cottage.

At one o’clock, I served lunch–the boys had just about managed to get the tree lights working–and this was a new set–again–I don’t know what Simon does to them, but they either fuse things or don’t work at all.

After lunch while they decorated the tree, Leon and I put some lights over some small trees out in the driveway–one either side of the front door. They were proper outside lights and were run from one of these cut out switch thingies, so if anyone gets electrocuted, it cuts out so we can move the body without fear of doing the same–great idea.

I ran Leon home after that, Livvie came with me and we had a little chat with his mum before we went to get Julie from the salon. “Where’s bighead?” she asked getting into the car.

“Please, Julie, I’ve had words with her, now I’m having some with you. You’re old enough to know better, she is only six.”

“Yeah, but she acts as if she knows everything–who does she think she is, bloody Einstein?”

“I don’t know but that’s the last I want to hear about it.”

“Just because she helped me in the beginning, she thinks she’s my teacher.”

“That’s enough–if either of you keep annoying each other I will intervene and neither of you will like the consequences. You can kiss the car goodbye and she won’t get her microscope. She knows it and now, so do you. End of discussion.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice to see

Cathy putting her foot down with a firm hand. If they're not careful, there's gonna be some friction 'twixt Julie and Trish. Someone unlikely, like Livvy, could well reign Trish in. She is of an age with Trish after all.

S.

Firewood

An interesting point about firewood: it warms you twice.

Thanks A+B+I (baked potatoes etc): here was me thinking lumberjacks were 'okay,' rather than just 'all right.'

Pyrolytic Substances


Bike Resources

It is 'okay'

Angharad's picture

but it's Simon who's the Python expert, and Cathy is allowed one or two flaws.

For those who have no idea what this is all about try the link on Youtube below. It is quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToPCaNxaow

Angharad

Angharad

3 times

If you have to cut the bloody tree down as well.

Oh and quite right. Firm hand needed with those kids.
Still enjoyin' it Angie.

Did you have a nice Christmas?
Snow's started melting here in S Wales.

Love and hugs.

The tranny.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Carbon Safe Christmas Lights

Uh oh... Cathy is falling down on the job. If she would ditch those old incandescent Christmas lights, she wouldn't have to worry about blowing a fuse. The new LED lights use a tiny fraction of the old inefficient incandescent bulbs. Christmas cheer with a lower carbon footprint. They are also a lot prettier (richer colors,) and never burn out.

They're quite...

They're quite nice too... We switched over to LED lights this year, and are very happy with the results.

Now, why do I think that the Julie/Trish "situation" isn't quite over yet...

As to the fireplace - one of my grandmothers had one tha size. My mom tells a story of the year they lost power for several days, one winter, and she remembered her mom fixingmeals in that monster fireplace... :-)

Thanks,
Anne

Bike pt 1216.

Me, I say, ley Julie beat Trish at ches. That'll teach the little bugger, but good.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And how...

And, how do you expect that to happen? So far as I can recall, we've never heard that Julie was a Chess mistress..

No, something will need to happen, for Trish to learn to "back off" a little. It's not unusual for very smart, youngsters to think they know it all and tell everyone else. Most eventually learn - either that they don't know it all or at least how to put their directions in a velvit glove. I suspect that Trish is a long way from learning this, specially where Julie's concerned. Now, if Julie'd stop having little "accidents", perhaps miss precotious might not be so pushy, but who knows.

Anne

Tact is not in a 6 year old's vocabulary

any way as they speak their mind with only the slightest of pauses.

Coupled that with a huge intelligence and we've got a potential problem. I remember when I was 6 and bored out of my scull in first grade. If I had had the internet then ... oh boy.

Kim

Sounded very much like a

Sounded very much like a typical and normal family getting things together for Christmas. Even Julie's comments regarding her little sister Trish sounded rather typical of a family with many children and especially if one is rather smart.
As a side note, Angharad, I do hope you are not having too much snow over there, as I have from the weather news seen that GB is being "socked" again with bad winter storms. I have some very good English friends in Hove, that I stay in close touch with; and watch the weather over there because of them. Please stay warm and cuddle up with Bonzi. Hugs, Jan

It seems like Julie is getting more flak

then Trish does.

I think that Julie , for once, is acting ok. She is not the offender in this story and has every right to be angry but all Cathy does it to threaten her ,and while she does say she will punish Trish as well it's disproportionate. The car for Julie is far more then what a microscope is for Trish : Trish see the microscope as only a gift m Julie on the other hand see the car as a mean of transportation, a symbol of gradual freedom and a bit of acceptance by her parents into the adult world.

Those last two bits are the key issue: It seems like Cathy can't understand Julie at all. She treats her like a kid when she wants to , cause its harder for her deal with a teenager ( hence depriving the car as a punishment, refusing to talk to her as an adult about what bothering her etc.) , and treats her as an adult when its comfortable ( when something needs to be done, or her denying protection from Trish).

There's also the issue with the punishment being dispensed no matter who starts the fight ( and it would be Trish, Julie will just ignore her till then) both will get the punishment. So Julie is in a lose lose situation.

I really don't know what she can do to make Cathy understand that FOR ONCE she must punish "precious" little Trish and her only . She bullies everyone and the others get punishment ? talk about blunt out terror regime.
Cathy essentially says that "If anyone is hurt by Trish and dares to do something , I'll punish Trish by the minor and you by the major".

We had this once at our school , whoever was in a fight no matter who started it or even if one side only got the beatings ,was suspended.
I was suspended that way for doing nothing but being someones punch bag, I did nothing but try to run and yet they punished me . It wasn't fair then and it isn't fair now.

AT THE MOMENT I REALLY HATE BOTH CATHY AND TRISH , THEY SEEM TO THINK THEY ARE BETTER THEN OTHERS (cathy refusal to insert Simon & Stella into the list of adults time after time).

I seriously considering to stop reading it cause the main character seem to annoy me time after time. If its her treatment to Simon and Danny ( I know that most of the readers don't give squat about Danny , cause he is a boy and not Gender variant.But so help me god he gets 1/10th of the attention the girls get and thats after the latest "fix" to give him more attention) or her favorings Trish ( she does) or her constantly hurting Simon (for god sake she left him alone when he went out to a lot of trouble to get her a car and plan a nice meal. I wouldn't expect her to stay with the dream and all but a "I'm sorry" and a "your'e great for doing this" ).

A very sad reader .
Lily

Ah..Julie...my favorite character...

Andrea Lena's picture

...gender variant; bi-polar with occasional suicidal ideation; suffering from Reactive Attachment Disorder due to her relationship with her biological family; nearly murdered; kidnap victim (twice) and rape victim with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and yet she sees her 'therapist' on occasion as part of the good Stephanie's dealings with the whole family, instead of every week. She likely needs a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant, but it's not gonna happen any time soon. I feel so bad for her; I'd adopt her myself except that she's fictional. Oh well!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It's impossible to mention

Angharad's picture

everything that goes on in the Cathy-verse. The children do get more therapy than it appears but it would get boring( even more boring?) were I to mention it all.

One of the strengths is seeing everything through the narrator's eyes, but it's also a weakness with regard to what other people are thinking or feeling. But seeing as reader's comments often are filled with something resonating with them - both positively and negatively, I suspect I'm doing something right (or even write?). Remember this is something of an experiment which as far as I know no one has done quite this way before - almost a fictional blog, with bits of nonsense thrown in to make it more readable.

My apologies to the real plod, those in ths story always seem incompetants whereas in real life they do a difficult job, well most of the time. I've been playing with a story for a long time which will illustrate this - though it's not coming easily and I wouldn't hold your breath. When it's done (if) I intend to offer it to Erin for hatbox.

Angharad

Angharad

Assuming...

Puddintane's picture

...the typical non-directive therapy, I can just imagine.

My mother doesn't understand me.

Tell me more about your mother.

My mother doesn't understand me.

It sounds as if your mother is very important to you.

My mother doesn't understand me.

How does that make you feel?

My mother doesn't understand me.

...

Fascinating!

Eliza

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Family Vibes

The Christmas fire scene resonates as my clan celebrated Christmas eve three days ago with final tree trimming, a buffet dinner to suit odd time arrivals and the skittish children excited about the presents heaped beneath the tree. My son and son-in-law heave loads of firewood into the living room and, like old Boy Scouts, huddle at the hearth until bright flame spurts upward. Usual lights dimmed, firelight, the sparkling tree and window candles add to the mystique of the evening. We burn wood from apple orchard trimmings - sweet apple-y scents with unusual pink flames looking like the fruit they previously bore. Grandchildren at piano, guitar and flute offer a somewhat creaky start to "Oh, Come All Ye Faithful", but the sound grows stronger and more sure as our strong singers join in. Soon we are fully engaged in making the Psalmist 'joyful noise unto the Lord'. Ah, however beautiful, it comes to an end when two tired out children cannot seem to share the same space and start a screaming match. Alas! It is time for baths and bed; may-hap peace on the morrow... I know if we love them with absolute conviction long enough, they will all turn out to be strong and decent adults. The Cameron's are a bit startling sometimes, but with Kathy's brilliant dedication and dogged determination, and a unique support system - a billionaire Banker, sweet mate, strong academic guru, physicians, psychiatrists, educators and a few non-plod plods how can any of them lose?

Happy New Year to the Cameron's and to their creative genius, Angahrad!

jmacaulay

jmacaulay

Ah family life,

Squabbles, love, bickering, affection, backbiting, support, and more!

They sound just like sisters

My favorite time of year. I used to invent new ways to string dirty words together in a sentance until I bought a tree light winder spool. It cut down on the curses, and increased the single malt time.
BTW, if you grow hot peppers, you can make them hotter by spreading fireplace ashes on the bed and mixing them in, conversely, to make the peppers a little milder, spread sweet lime. I'm 1/2 Italian, I know hot peppers.

Cefin