Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1366

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1366
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“How’s it going?” asked Jenny.

“The play?”

“Yes, what else–you’re sat there with the script in front of you–unless it’s secretly Cycling Weekly–but I thought that had larger pages.”

“No it’s not–but that reminds me, I have a pile of them to put into recycling.”

“Okay, I’ll remind you-what about this lot?” she pointed at a different pile of paper.

“No–don’t ever chuck out any professional journals–that’s the Mammal Society stuff. One of them has an article by me in there as well.”

“Don’t you keep a copy on your computer?”

“Of course I do–I save them to a memory stick as well.”

“So why are you keeping all these things then?”

“Because there are several papers I want to have for reference.”

“Can’t you get a scanner–it would save loads of room.”

“I don’t want to scan them–I prefer to keep the originals–okay?”

“Keeps your tits on–I was only trying to tidy the place up.”

I walked over to a bottom bookshelf and picked up the plastic magazine holder, put the magazines in and shoved it back on the shelf. “Satisfied?” I snapped.

She gave me a dirty look and flounced out of the room. There’s something very female about flouncing, isn’t there. I mean men don’t do it–they storm out, whereas we flounce. Mind you, I haven’t done it for ages–can’t remember when even–it would have to be Simon as the provocation.

Geez, I just remembered flouncing when I was supposedly a boy–actually, I did several times when I was little but when I was a student I did it at home the night before Dad gave me that hiding.

He’d been niggling at me all evening, about my lack of masculinity. It didn’t worry me because I was building up to going to see the GP for a referral to a gender clinic. I can’t quite remember what he said but I said something in return which annoyed him, and flounced out of the room slamming the door and then rushing up to my room–where I locked the door. He came banging on it but I refused to talk to him let alone open the door. The next night–he beat the crap out of me.

I thought I’d better go and see Jenny and talk her down from whatever ceiling she was standing on. I went in search of her and she was talking to the two little ones.

“She doesn’t appreciate me--your mother–I work all sorts of silly hours and all I get is my head snapped off. I can’t take it any more–it would be safer working in Afghanistan than here.”

I eased out into the kitchen and made a pot of tea, then poured two cups and walked into the dining room. She was still talking to the baby who was gurgling back at her and trying to say the odd word–when she saw me, the baby that is, she started, “Ma ma ma ma,” which she shrieked at me then laughed.

“Oh, Cathy, I didn’t see you there.”

“Thought you might like a cuppa and a chat. Now, what’s bothering you?”

“I’m just tired I suppose–those few days with Julie wore me out and all I did was watch a few children–you were the one being kidnapped and so on.”

“Have the weekend off.”

“But it’s a bank holiday?”

“Yeah, could you come back Monday night?”

“I suppose so. Yeah–course I could–yeah, that’d be good–could go and see me mum.”

“Where does she live?”

“In Kent, near Canterbury.”

“D’you want to borrow the Mondeo?”

“Really?”

“Yeah–though you’ll have to put the juice in.”

“That would be so helpful–I could take her to do a big shop with a car, fill her freezer, you know.”

“Yes, I know."

"That would be brill, Cathy.”

“That’s okay–we rarely appreciate those we respect the most–I’m just trying to show that appreciation for all the hard work you put in.”

“Simon does pay me you know–and above the going rate.”

“I’m sure he must think you’re worth it–I know I do. Now, excuse me, I have another date with Macbeth.”

“Yeah–d’you want me to collect the girls?”

“That would be a help–yes thanks.”

“See I respect you as my boss.”

“Okay–enough of this preening–back to work, slave,” I clapped my hands and Catherine’s bottom lip trembled and she burst into tears. Oh great, just what I needed–why couldn’t I have settled for a kitten instead of all these bloody chidren?

I picked her up and cuddled her, then began to hum a tune and danced about the room–she started to giggle and jabber at me. I carried on and she gave an enormous burp which seemed to originate somewhere down near her toes and rumble all the way to the outside world.

“I beg your pardon,” I said and she giggled again. “Your manners leave a bit to be desired, missy,”–more giggling. Then she burped again and giggled like a demented hyena. “What have you been giving her–lager?” I asked Jenny.

“No–we did have a bit of pop while we were out–but she only had a tiny bit–this one drank most of it,” she indicated Puddin’ who had just come into the room with the remote control for the DVD player. The player is in the sitting room. It doesn’t worry me, I can’t work the bloody thing anyway–I have to get Trish to set to for me if I want to record anything. All the kids can do it, but Trish is a whiz with things electronic–can you have a seven year old geek?

Having calmed down Krakatoa to a few aftershocks, I handed her back to Jenny and returned to the bard. I sat there musing–if I combed my hair straight back and grew a little beard would it be a bard hair day? Answers on a postcard to...

“I’m going to collect the girls–can you watch the two littlies?”

“Yeah–I’ve just about had it anyway–“To be or not to be, that is the question.”

“To be what–oh it’s in Macbeth is it?” she asked pulling on her jacket.

I nearly did a Homer Simpson, but decided it would be insulting to her–she’s here because she’s good with children and supporting prima donnas like me. I don’t pay her for her knowledge of English literature–though she could probably go on Mastermind with her specialised subject–The House at Pooh Corner. Mine would have to be The Gaby Stories, I’ve read them umpteen times–although Trish remembers them better than I do, or maybe the Sherlock Holmes stories–I love them too.

When I went to check on the babies, they were both fast asleep–I checked they were still breathing–they were–thank goodness. I went away with my heart a-flutter and my tummy doing somersaults–phew.

I’d just got back to the kitchen when Danny sloped in, dropped his bag and made straight for the fridge and pulled out a four pint bottle of milk and began drinking it from the bottle.

“I think that would be better from a glass, don’t you?” I said from behind him.

He jumped and sprayed the fridge with milk, blushing profusely. “Mum?” he said turning round.

“Oh dear–looks like someone has some cleaning up to do–doesn’t it?”

“Okay–I’ll get a cloth,” he sighed and went off to the cupboard.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

shame on you

Danny.

and laughing about Cathy having to get Trish to operate the DVD player for her.

A New Side of Cathy

littlerocksilver's picture

I know it's been a few rough weeks for her, but she is beginning to realize more the effect she has on others. They orbit around her whether she wants them to or not. Not everyone is as sharp as she is, and many people, including Simon, take what she says the wrong way. Of course she is often guilty of doing the same.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Trish, can you program the DVD player?

Sorry Mummy, I'm off to CERNE to fix the Hadrion Collider... AGAIN!

Well you are 8 years old.

MUMMY! I'm nearly nine, well eight years, two hundred fourty-seven days, fiften hours forteen minutes and one, two, three seconds... Not adjusting for leap year, of course.

Quite alright Trish. Every girls's entitled to lie about her age.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

LOL

That belonged in a dream in the story.

Kids drinking over the bottle.

Where do boys get that from? (And some girls but not nearly so many!)

And they always do it when they think nobody is around.

It reminds me of the advert where the dog drinks water from the lavatory pan then next shot shows it licking its owner's face.

Kids! Uuugh! I dunno!

Good story though.
Still lovin' it Angie.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Guess Cathy...

I guess that Cathy "earned" that little surprise... Walking in on Jenny. Hope Jenny's mum's okay. Something sounded "disturbed" there... Wonder what's bothering Jenny - besides how much work she has taking care of all them crazies.

Thanks,
Anne

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1366

Cathy is learning just how much Jenny needs her approval. She maybe a young adult not much younger than Cathy, but she looks to Cathy as a Mum figure.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It bears repeating

Cathy is indeed, like it or not, the Chatelaine, and consequently she now has to use a bit of tact where needed to properly manage her household.

Like other commentators have said, she is starting to learn that aspect of her job.

Kim

Cathy and technology

I like it!
"Puddin’ who had just come into the room with the remote control for the DVD player. The player is in the sitting room. It doesn’t worry me, I can’t work the bloody thing anyway—I have to get Trish to set to for me if I want to record anything"
Who finds the additional joke? :D

Martina

Danny is going to be at that age soon

Where he will eat a loaf of bread as a snack. And still eat full meals. And works it all off. The metabolism goes into overdrive at that point.