Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1223.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1223
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

As befits the alpha male with a tummy full of turkey and claret, Simon dozed on the sofa in the dining room while people chattered at the table. I made up a selection of cooked meats and salad with fresh bread rolls, still warm from the oven for Christmas tea. It was mainly the children who ate it, the adults were still digesting their dinners.

I did get to see Matt Smith dealing with flying sharks and Katherine Jenkins singing in the Dr Who Christmas Carol, which was very good–wasn’t a dry eye in the house–except Si and he was still asleep.

Henry and Monica phoned–they had been due to come but decided the weather was too bad for the drive. He has a Landrover but decided he didn’t fancy a two hour drive in it and Monica certainly didn’t.

Maureen also cried off–apparently the snow came in to her roof and she had some building work to organise to deal with it. She was still working on her flashings on Christmas Day. I did offer to save her a dinner but she had a friend there who was cooking a meal for them.

At nine o’clock, things started to wind down and I suggested taking Leon and his mother home. I discovered that by squeezing the children together, I could also get Pippa and her boys into the Cayenne and thus save Gareth a trip.

It was freezing hard and I had to defrost the windscreen before we could go anywhere, then of course it misted up inside.

“Dis is a snazzy mota, Lady C,” opined Leon as we sat waiting for the blower to clear the screen–it took no more than a minute.

“It is a lovely car, Leon, and hopefully the four wheel drive will get us all where we need to go and me back home.”

“I’m sure dat will happen,” said his mum who had the joy of sharing the front of the car with me.

I set off down the drive, in four wheel drive and she crunched and slipped her way down to the roadway. Here ruts were clear on either side of the road and once in them she sailed along perfectly well. I naturally kept the speed down and we got to Leon’s house in half an hour–about the same time it would take in the rush hour.

Pippa came in the front once we’d helped Leon and his mum into their house and declined the offer of a cuppa. I set off towards Pippa’s house and we were doing fine until she suggested a shortcut. I remember ages ago someone telling me the difference between a 4x4 and an ordinary car in snow and ice–the 4x4 gets stuck further up the road.

The car went sideways and stopped at the edge of the kerb. It was unable to move despite my efforts, the wheels spinning and just compacting more snow down into ice.

I jumped out and went to the back of the car–I’d forgotten the folding shovel–damn. There was no way I was going to call Simon or Tom out and Gareth was probably up to his armpits in Stella by now.

“We can walk from here, Cathy. Thanks for a lovely afternoon and evening.”

“You don’t perchance have a shovel I could borrow?”

“Oh, I don’t know–there’s a spade in the shed, I think.”

“Mind if I borrow it?”

“No, of course not.”

We set off on foot after I locked the car and cussed it. It took ten minutes to get to Pippa’s and one of the boys went down the garden to the shed to fetch the spade. He came back a few minutes later and I walked back to the car carrying it and an old cardboard box I was going to open out and drive the car over, once I’d cleared the ice from under the wheels.

Of course when I got back, the car had sunk into the ice about four inches–the wheels had presumably got warm spinning round, although I thought the traction control should have sorted it.

I spent about twenty minutes hacking snow out from around and under the wheels and clearing a path to the centre of the road–by which time my back was aching and I felt as hot as my temper. So much for four wheeled bloody drive.

I threw the spade into the back of the car and sat in it and rested my aching back for a moment, then started her up, cleared the misting from the screen–my hot breaths–and put her into second gear as recommended for snow and ice. The wheels spun some more and the first spots of despair began to drip off my sweaty brow.

I dug some more and shoved the cardboard under one of the front wheels. I’d left the engine running–sod the environment–got back in and gently accelerated in second watching bits of cardboard confetti fly all over the road. The car moved not one inch.

Oh well, I told myself, it would probably have been worse in the Mercedes and I couldn’t have pushed it any easier than this one. However, for forty five grand, you’d think they’d have included the option of vertical take-off and landing, the jets melting the snow as they fired up. Sadly they don’t, Vorsprung durk bollocks or whatever those stupid adverts used to say. I wasn’t yet at screaming or crying pitch, but it was getting closer, along with exhaustion.

I got out and dug some more–any deeper and there was a danger it would look like something out of the trenches from the First World War. If it had been a bike, I could have walked the bloody thing home.

Now there was nothing between me and the tarmac–well between the tyres and the black stuff, but I’m sure you took my meaning. Once more I put the spade inside the car–this time in the foot-well of the front passenger seat. I ignored the flashing light of the seatbelt alarm and gave it some welly. The car lurched forward then sideways and stopped again.

I was ready to scream and did. I felt no better and now my throat hurt. I decided to surrender and call up the cavalry. I put my hand in my bag and–no phone–oh shit–I don’t believe it. I punched the passenger seat and told it it was dumkopf of a car.

I was now blocking the lane as well, the car being forty five degrees to the pavement. Oh well, if it wouldn’t go forwards, perhaps it would go backwards and at least straighten up–then, I’d have to swallow my pride and walk home–about an hour if I was lucky–but with the ice and snow, probably half as long again.

I wondered if the blue light could melt snow, then laughed at my own idiocy. I shoved her in reverse and let out the clutch–Pepper went slowly backwards and I kept going, she eased out into the middle of the lane and I kept going. Fifty yards later I reached the road proper and eased out backwards and then gently forwards–I was finally moving towards home.

The sense of relief was almost physical–sweat was running down my back and I hate to think how much adrenalin I’d used up–probably month’s worths. I kept trundling along and out onto the main road where I think I did twenty miles an hour all the way home. I was absolutely cream-crackered when I got home.

“Ah, you decided to come home, have a nice time with Pippa?” said Simon and it was all I could do not to punch his lights out–instead I burst into tears.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy alert!

Everything in her favour went against her - again.

Shortcut, my a***.

S.

Note to Simon:

Please. please, please engage your brain before putting your mouth into gear.

Then again, Simon seems to be a particularly prolific sufferer of foot-in-mouth syndrome, and Cathy bruises (emotionally) very easily. But I suppose since he's spent 30 years of his life trading wit and insults with Stella and only just over three years with Cathy, it'll probably take a while yet for him to break the habit of a lifetime.

-oOo-

Thankfully, as I live on a bus route, I didn't have any problems commuting to / from work. However, at one point my battery gave up (lucky I've got a handheld starter gadget), and the pin connecting my driver's side handle to the catch broke - so the driver's door will only open from the inside.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

agreed!

Note to Simon: Somebody who's just spent a lot of time digging themselves out from the snow will appear quite different to the naked eye than somebody who's spent the evening chatting and sipping tea. Dolt.

Note to Cathy: 4-wheel drive is no substitute for brains. Do not go out in the storm unprepared and stick to the well-traveled routes, as those will be more easily traversed and help will be more likely to come along. Shortcuts aren't. Dolt.

Note to the people who made the Doctor Who Christmas special: Awesome. Just amazingly awesome.

"Handheld Starter Gadget?"

You mean a crank? How old is your car? The last car of mine that you could start with crank was my 1951 Hillman Minx (anyone else here old enough to remember those?). I never did it -- I just thought it quaint that it had that capability theoretically.

If OTOH, you meant one of those key fob things that you just press a button and the car starts itself remotely, I don't remotely* understand how that could work if your battery were discharged.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

*Pun intended. Remember that the PUN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!!

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Four Wheel Drive advice

I've had two four wheel drive vehicles in my life and the best advice I've always received is, "... use two wheel drive until you get stuck, then engage the four wheel drive, turn around, and get the hell out of there ! ! !"

4x4

Low range is to get out, not in. That's a mantra of mine.

Karen

Expensive Vehicles

However, for forty-five grand, you’d think they’d have included the option of vertical take-off and landing, the jets melting the snow as they fired up.

One of the handier things that all-terrain vehicles sometimes have is a winch. Sadly, Pepper doesn't seem to be an all-terrain vehicle—in more ways than one. I'm reminded of that scene from The Gods Must Be Crazy where a winch is used to pull a Land Rover out of trouble by slinging the winch hook around a high branch, and the result is the vehicle winched right up the tree. (Watch it on YouTube.)

But I digress: Thanks A+B+I (Christmas leftovers). I'm glad to see Cathy behaving more like a lady in the final paragraph, although her appearance should have tipped Simon off. He always seems to find trouble when he's been drinking alcohol, doesn't he?

Purchase Slipped


Bike Resources

I loved that movie!

Hadn't thought about it in ages, thanks for the memory :)

With a winch...

Puddintane's picture

...the perfect accessory is two strapping lads to do the grunt work and slosh around in the snow and mud.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I was thinking...

I was thinking that Cathy'd do better with an "Air Cushion Vehicle"... Don't know of any commercial vendors, but the world's military has their share...

Did the blue light work?

Wasn't clear.

I've been in the same situation. Embarrased to be stuck, frustrated that nothing is working, rush of adrenelin and instant headache. Understand completely Cathy's reaction to Simon. Hope he has enough sense to hug her and comfort her.

Shortcut

A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

There have been a few times that I have driven some poor hapless person's shiny new 4X4 out of a tight place. There's a trick to it. Here in Michigan, we get plenty of practice.

Here, Too!

We get lots of practice here in the Great White North, too. We have an unfortunate tendency to snicker when told these tales of the total paralysis of society when an inch or two of the white stuff falls, but, in fairness, if you're not used to it, you really DON'T know what to do. I wonder what are the chances that Cathy has winter (I.e., mud & snow) tires on Pepper? I don't imagine they're common in the UK, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Bike pt 1223

Simon had no clue to Cathy's misadventure.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Stuck all wheel drive

janet_L.'s picture

As a long time Subaru driver, getting stuck in an all wheel drive is a woeful experience, indeed, 'cause if you can't work your own way out, the only thing that is going to get you out is a farm tractor or a bigger four wheel drive - Say, a Powerwagon or a rare Unimog,

I can't remember how many times I had to go rescue a friend with an even smaller all wheel drive car, a Toyota Tercel, with my Subaru Outback. . .

Oh, before I forget to mention it, good update!

I for one

can certainly sympathise with Cathy when she had to borrow a spade to dig herself out, Years ago i had the misfortune to get stuck in snow....And of course i did not have a shovel, Unfortunately the only building for some distance was a nunnery, So i duly knocked on their door...However the only thing close to shovel they had was a very small dustpan which they used for clearing ashes from their fire

Needless to say what would have been a very quick job with the right equipment became something of a marathon, And like Cathy my temper was not good, Not that i could say anything to the nuns, After all whose fault was it that didn't have shovel!

Kirri

instead I burst into tears.

Seems a reasonable alternative to me!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Common sense items for winter driving

I live in New England (specifically the People's Democratic Republic of Massachusetts.) For winter driving I like to make sure I have 2 filled sand bags, a shovel, a 1st aid kit, fire extinguisher, tool kit, flashlight, candle, blanket, small outdoor type rug (for placing under a tire or to lay on if I need to crawl under vehicle,) and a battery jumper kit. Before they came out with those recharging jumper packs I would carry a spare car battery and jumper cables. I don't recommend ever storing a fuel can with fuel in the vehicle however because that is a major safety hazard.

The candle I mentioned above. That is to help keep warm if you ever do get stranded. With a candle and a blanket while you will not be toasty you will be able to stay warm enough to remain alert. I don't recommend runnning the vehicle heater because if the snow gets deep enough it could cover your exaust pipe and you will end up with carbon monoxide poisoning. Only run your engine long enough to maintain the charge for your battery. Oh, you could also use cans of sterno intead of candles for warmth. At Ft Riley KS I once used cans of sterno to thaw out my transmission and oil pan so that I could get my car started. The wind chill had actually been cold enough to freeze up the oil and transmission fluid.

Winter in Massachusetts

I'm a Baystater also, after getting stuck in '78 my SUV is loaded like yours. Except I have 2 Space Blankets, just in case.
They also make a mat from expanded link metal, folds 12" square, love it.

Karen

Men cuss, Women cry,

Which seems reasonable. I suspect Simon will feel like a heel when it is sorted out.

Frustrating end to a perfect day.

Tears are the true universal solvent. H2O and a little NaCL works every time.
Dosen't it figure? The pepper won't go forward, but is a wonder in reverse.
I think it's the gearing.

Karen