Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1372

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1372
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“That vole was really kewl, Mum,” said Danny. He was talking of the poor unfortunate critter that blundered into one of the Longworth traps. He was probably a bit frightened, the vole that is, but it didn’t stop him eating all the grain we left inside.

Anyway after deciding what it was we released it under a bush and collected up the stuff and came home.

The weather had a got a bit warmer and I was sorely tempted to go for a bike ride when Jenny got back. Simon had babysat with Tom’s help and I couldn’t impose on him any longer.

The girls gave us good welcome when we returned, a little later than I intended and I was praising their daddy for his sterling work when Meems let slip that Pippa had been there.

“Pippa’s been here?” I queried.

Simon blushed and said, “Yeah, she called by, she said she was sorry she missed you.”

“Gramps asked her to come,” Trish announced betraying Simon and Tom.

“So what has Daddy been doing?” I asked Trish. Simon hurriedly left the room.

“Reading your paper and watching the telly.”

“So Pippa looked after you while I was out?”

“More or less, she had to deal with the babies, but she made us a drink and we played some games out in the garden.”

“Did Daddy come and play games with you?”

“No, he was watching telly.”

“Did he pay, Pippa?”

“No, Mummy, Gramps did that.”

It seemed strange that Tom suddenly had to go out just after I arrived back. That was okay, I could wait.

“See ya later,” called Si and moments later he got in his car and drove off.

“Have you all had lunch?”

“No,” said Danny more emphatically than usual.

“Yes, Pippa did us some soup–from tins–not as nice as your homemade but it was okay.”

“Okay–I’m doing some poached eggs on toast for Danny and I, anyone else want one?” I’d bought a couple of dozen free range eggs on the way home and was qute looking forward to eating a couple.

“Wouldn’t mind one, Mummy–it won’t make me fat will it?” Trish looked at me for answers.

“The way you run round kiddo–I doubt it.”

In the end all three of the girls had a single egg with a slice of toast. My thoughts of riding disappeared as did my intentions of writing up the records from the survey–I had my notebook so it would keep–and I’d escaped my parental duties for a few hours–so this was payback.

I fed Catherine as I sipped a cup of tea, she was like a giant milk drinking leech, the way she hovered my breasts dry. She had some scrambled egg and a piece of bread which I chopped up into small bits. She has some teeth as my nipples will testify.

I left the kids to their own devices while I cleaned up the kitchen–thank goodness for my dishwashing machine. I was about to sit down and drink a fresh cuppa when the phone rang.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Cathy?”

“Yes, is that Sam?”

“It is, look could I ask you a huge favour?”

“I would think so, provided it doesn’t mean fostering anymore children?”

“I’ll get down to the nitty-gritty, I have with me a young mum who has a child, a bio male, who likes to be a girl.”

“Yeah–what d’you want me to do about it?”

“Could she come and see you for a chat?”

“What now?”

“Yes–she’s at her wits end.”

“How old is her–um–child?” I hesitated over the term I could use without wishing to show any sort of prejudice.

“Five–I think–yes, five.”

“Does she know how to find us?”

“I can give her directions.”

“Do Google maps.”

“Yeah of course; I can’t cope with this new technology.”

“Sam, you’re not that old and much cleverer than I am, and I cope.” As long as we don’t mention video recorders.

“Okay, I’ve got your place on screen–you’ve an awful lot of land there.”

“Yes, it used to be a farm.”

“I’ll send her then.”

“Oh, Sam?”

“Yes?”

“Tell her she’ll have to take us as she finds us–I’ve been out dormousing all morning with Danny–so haven’t done any tidying today.”

“She’s coming to talk with you not do a house inspection.” He put the phone down and I stood up and felt like screaming; why me? The next few minutes were spent rushing upstairs and changing out of muddy jeans and sweatshirt.

I had a quick wash and checked my hair–it was tidyish, rather than my usual standard. I combed it through, picking up the bits of leaf and twig that fell out–it happens when you’re fighting the undergrowth to get to nest boxes–biology ain’t for wimps. Tying my hair back into a ponytail which I then pinned up with a clip, I pulled on a fresh blouse and pair of trousers–ones cut off at mid calf, slipped on my trainer sandals and my watch, plus a bangle on my right wrist–a squirt of smellies and some lipstick and it was downstairs to have a quick tidy up.

I marshalled the troops–we have someone coming to see me in a few minutes. They’re bringing their kid with them–so I might need you to let them play with you. I want you all on your best behaviour. Right, help me tidy up, please.”

Even Puddin’ helped tidy up–she put Billie’s slippers in the bin–I know, if they phone up and say that Stella’s gone into labour, I’ll strangle them all and shoot myself.

Thankfully, that didn’t happen but I was quite warm from rushing round the place with the vacuum when the doorbell rang. Danny was outside cleaning our boots, and the girls were all hiding, waiting to see who was visiting.

A young woman, about my age I suppose, was waiting at the door when I opened it. “Mrs Cameron?” she asked.

“Cathy, yes–do come in.”

“I’m Gina Herring, and this is Carl.”

I looked down at a small fair haired child of five who was wearing a pair of boy’s shorts and tee shirt with Sponge-Bob on it. On his feet were open toed sandals. In contrast, his mother wore a very nice cotton sundress which made me feel scruffy, and on her feet she wore three inch high wedge sandals which complemented the dress beautifully. The car she’d arrived in was a newish Peugeot–so money wasn’t a problem.

Carl sat on the floor by his mum as we settled down in my study. “Would Carl like to play with my girls?” I asked.

“He’s a bit shy.”

“They’ll be gentle with him.” I called Livvie and Trish and he reluctantly went off with them. Now I felt his mum could talk more easily.

“Dr Rose said you have experience of dealing with a gender dysphoric child.”

“Yes, though I’m not sure I’m an expert in the matter.”

“You’ve got to have more idea than I do–Carl just keeps wanting to play with dolls and wear girl’s clothes.”

“So why don’t you let him–he may well grow out of it?”

“Well it’s embarrassing–what are my parents going to say, or the neighbours?”

“How important is that? More than the health and well being of your child?”

“Um–no, of course not–but my husband doesn’t like it either.”

“What about you–you’ve told me about all these other people–what d’you think about it all?”

“I–um–don’t know.”

Oh boy, this could take some time. “Let’s have a cuppa shall we?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Looks Like Cathy Has Her Work Cut Out

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg Looks like Cathy has her work cut out educating a clueless mother about her child. I just hope she can set her straight om a few things and make sure the child is going to be unharmed. I know from previous experience that when Sam asks her for a favor, it usually involves doing more than she originally thought. Hopefully, she can point her in the direction of Stephanie who can help the child too. At least the mother is willing to learn, but I wonder if her husband can be persuaded to change his attitude? Time will tell.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1372

Does this mean that the Cameron household will grow? Or will Cathy and Stephanie be able to guide the family into accepting Carl?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I smell trouble ahead.

Poor little bugger looks as though he's going to have a hard time of it, 'growing up that is'.
It shouldn't be like this. Not in 2011.

I'll be interested where this one gets us.

Thanks Angie.

XZXX.

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Sadly with religious conservatism on the rise

... it is more a case of two steps forward and one step back all the time. Plus there is the whole generational thing going on where the really young are more savvy but there are still huge numbers of older folks, especially the conservative religious types, who need to literally die off before attitudes can change. Plus we are so few, it just is not possible to change attitudes quickly.

Kim

This I want...

This conversation I want to see/hear!!!

Simon keeps bouncing back and forth from hero to heal. Why can't he actually watch the kids?

Thanks,
Anne

At least Gina has come to the right person

as long as she doesn't expect Cathy to give her advice on how to get Carl to stop wanting to be a girl.

Still love it that Danny and Cathy got time to be together and that Danny actually enjoyed working with his Mum.

Parenting

As if Cathy didn't have enough on her plate with trying to run the household largely single-handedly, it doesn't exactly help matters when on one of the rare occasions she has to disappear for the day without them and without leaving alternative means of support (Jenny, Stella), the two adult males in the household apparently decide they can't be bothered to even try babysitting for a few hours, and call in a favour from Pippa.

Given at least some of the children have been around for over two years, you would hope they would have learned some strategies on how to look after the children - and with Tom having been a biological parent in the past...

But with them both disappearing to delay receiving her wrath, we've now got an added complication with Carl(a). Let's just hope this doesn't follow the usual pattern of a few visits, followed by the parents either disappearing, disowning the child or dying, with Cathy named as preferred guardian for Carl(a).

As an aide-memoire of how Cathy acquired her current brood:
Mima (Nov 2008) - mum dies in car crash, while she's recovering dad dies overseas; Cathy agrees to look after her.
Trish (Jan 2009) - Sam Rose persuades her to look after Trish due to negative experiences in children's home.
Livvie (Jun 2009) - school friend of Trish, starts visiting Cathy, mum keeps extending visits to sleepovers; then during a weekend visit mum killed by dad, dad later commits suicide.
Danny/Billie (Dec 2009) - children's home closing down, nowhere else nearby to rehome them.
Julie (Dec 2009) - found beaten up down town, disowned by parents.
Baby Cathy (Aug 2010) - dad and sister killed in road accident, mum commits suicide.

And for the sake of completeness, the children's "cousin":
Puddin' (May 2009) - born in Feb, but there are numerous complications surrounding the birth - not just Puddin' herself (Cathy and Trish discover their BLH ability, which shows up on photos of Pud) but Stella (bipolar) and a Mafia-related adventure, which delay the return home.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I thought Mima's mom and dad were theives/con men and on the ...

lamb overseas?

And as to this episode, Ang.

Tell the truth the VOLE truth and nothing but the truth.

BTW I agree, Tom -- but he has the exceuse of being a professor and elderly -- and her dear husband look pretty shabby on the child watching issue and then to bug out?

Unless they have one hell of a legitmate excuse.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John, John, John

Not everybody can be a banker!

* * *

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

At least she is willing to talk,

Which is more than a lot of parents are willing to do. That by itself is important.