Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1363

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1363
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next morning, I had no idea where I was when I woke up–it took me a moment to remember last night. Part of it made me smile to myself and part made me cringe–had I really borrowed a small JCB thing and part demolished a house?

I suppose the important thing is that Jules is okay, though I’m not altogether sure how it all came to pass. If I understood it correctly–and there has to be a reasonable element of doubt that I do–she was kidnapped because her birth parents now had money. Then, along I come and they realise I’m worth more for ransom than she is and I get nabbed. Only they wouldn’t have got anything for me because Simon would have refused to pay. I must remember that rule if ever he gets ransomed.

So has Julie settled things with her parents? I hope so–they are her birth parents after all said and done, and they seem to be a bit more forgiving of her and possibly me too. They didn’t try to kill me when I released them, and it does take a bit more effort for her to go and see them–so being teenager she won’t–unless they offer money.

What am I worrying about? If she buries the hatchet with them and they accept her for who she is–that’s a result, and better than I could have hoped for. I don’t own my kids–just borrow them until they can make their own lives in the hope that they’ll still want us to be part of them. If they don’t, you have to take it on the chin.

At least we shouldn’t have the adopted child syndrome where they suddenly find out twenty years later and go berserk. All of mine know they’re adopted and all of them asked us to do it, except Catherine and she’ll be told about her mum and dad and sister as soon as she’s old enough to understand. I probably won’t tell her about her mother’s death–unless I suggest she just pined away–which is really what she did. I still find it so sad that it chokes me up.

Simon stirred and I asked him what time breakfast was. He didn’t know. So I stretched and got up. The booklet on the small table said from seven thirty to eight thirty. It was seven, so I went and weed and showered–in that order, but not together.

Simon went in the shower afterwards and I dressed–putting the same knickers back on–oh well–needs must. I had rinsed them last night and left them over the hot water pipe–they were nearly dry–okay, damp–but warm and damp.

Simon looked at his underpants–I’d washed those too–and he grumbled as he pulled them up his legs. They might have been a bit damper than mine–but hey, that’s the perk of doing the washing–I got the hot water pipe–his were over the shower rail.

I remembered then what a woman ex-soldier told me, wash ‘em, wring ‘em and wrap ‘em. This is done in a towel and then you sleep with them next to you–your body heat is supposed to dry them enough for them to be wearable the next day. I always forget when I actually have the chance to do it.

While Simon dressed I knocked on Julie’s door–she was drying her hair and called me to come in–I couldn’t because she hadn’t unlocked the door. A moment later she pulled it open and we hugged. Of course she had her full war-paint on, she carries it with her in a handbag the size of a steamer trunk. I on the other hand, don’t.

A few minutes later we all trooped down to breakfast where Simon ordered a full English, and Jules and I made do with cereal and toast.

“You should eat one, you’re paying for it,” Simon exhorted.

“No, Si, you’re paying for it–if I ate one–I’d be paying for it the rest of the day.”

Anyway we chatted while we breakfasted or should that be broke fast? I asked Julie if she’d spoken to her parents, and she replied she had but only briefly. She was pleased they’d moved on but I was her mum now and that was that.

“What about me?” grumbled Si dripping egg on his shirt and cussing.

“No, you can’t be my mum, unless you get a certain operation done.” She smirked and Simon swallowed hard. Then we all laughed, and he got tomato on his trousers. I told him he should have stuck with the cereal and toast. He suggested his wife would get his shirt washed and his trousers dry cleaned because she’d be so grateful for him paying for the hotel room so they could have a naughty night away.

At this, Julie, who was drinking tea at the time, laughed and sprayed tea all over his hand made shirt. He was not a happy bunny and I nearly choked on a piece of toast laughing. I suspect that hotel will say they’re full next time we try to book.

Simon settled the bill, and left immediately afterwards before he got anymore food on his clothes. He was dashing home, then off to work. Julie had phoned her boss and told her what had happened–they told her to take the day off–or so she said.

The local paper, which is supposed to be an evening one, was out by breakfast and its headline was of police rescue of a kidnapped girl. It was a total distortion of the facts but so what–if it kept the police happy–the less notice I get the better I like it.

“I’d like to call by Brad and Shirley, make sure they’re okay if that’s alright?” I said as we got into the cars.

“Do we have to?”

“You don’t, except they’d be very hurt by your absence.”

“Oh bugger, all right.”

So that’s what we did. They were still shocked from their ordeal and I probably made that worse by turning up with Julie. But it was worth it to see her mum and her dad give her a hug. We had a quick coffee with them and then set off for home, with her promising to go and see them, and me promising to remind her.

“You’re a very lucky girl, having two lots of parents who are fond of you,” said Shirley and I nearly fainted with shock. Julie agreed but I sensed she wanted to get away pronto.

She led back to the ferry and we’d only got about mile down the road and she pulled her car over and burst into tears. I pulled in behind her and beckoned her to come into the Cayenne. She did and we cuddled for probably half an hour.

“Why did they have to change? I was coping alright hating them and shutting them out of my life.”

“People can and do change–and we of all people must accept that.”

“I do–no I don’t–I don’t need them anymore–I’ve got you and Daddy and the others–you’re my family now, not them.”

“That has to be your decision–but don’t do anything too hasty or irrevocable–everything might feel different in a few days.”

“I dunno, they were like so mean to me–an’ he tried to kill me–it was you and your love that saved me.”

“I don’t know–maybe it was my impatience that caused it to happen–if I’d waited, then the outcome might have come about without anyone being hurt.”

“But that’s not you, Mummy, you are impatient.”

“Oh–it’s that obvious is it?” I sighed.

“Only because you love us–that’s why.”

We both had tears in our eyes and we hugged–a police car pulled in behind us.

“Is everything alright, ladies?”

“It is now,” I said and he smiled at us.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1363

A typical Cameron day where they show their Love. Why do I see Julie's 'rents showing up more? Could they try to reconnect?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Been something of an epiphany here.

Julie will have to find another motivational tool besides anger or hatred. That can sometimes take a long, long time.

I'll wish her good luck on her new journey as it is forced to take a new direction.

Nice chapter Angie.

Love andf Hugs.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Are the police in the UK really

even close to as intrusive as they are here? Ask if they're ok because they hugged each other? Ah, they were parked in separate cars.... guess the police were actually doing a good deed.

Adoptions can be messy I guess

... I mean its like making a sausage of a new family and it is never quite a straight path. Julie has undergone the equivalent of a divorce where after divorce you can still be friends but the bitterness of the separation will never quite allow a total reconciliation.

Julie firmly loves Cathy as her mother and I think no matter how much she bucks, Cathy will always be able to reach her .... eventually.

A bittersweet episode.

Finally, I honestly believe this is not the last Cathy will see that plod who tried to kill her.

Kim

If you went back

a few months, I wonder if Julie could have envisaged a vist to her birth parents.... How times change..... Now all that remains is to see whether they can build a relationship .... Or is it ?.... Could there be yet more twists ...After all this is an Angharad story and we do know how our favourite writer likes to surprise us and keep us on our toes:)
Kirri

Point by point

the police force is getting better. Julie's former parents have a lot of atoning to do too.