Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1222.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1222
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The ghost of Christmas past was one where chaos and bedlam resolved itself through one superhuman into a success. Sadly, the caped crusader, wasn’t able to come this year, so we had to make do with my efforts.

Simon and Danny with Tom as supervisor set up the tree, Stella and I put up the decorations with help from Julie and the girls. I discovered to my delight that Julie is absolutely brilliant at wrapping parcels so she wrapped all mine except those for her which I had to do.

This year we had the LED lights, so no more fussing with broken ones and fusing the whole house. The girls put up the cards on ribbons which we put over doors, and we actually put some lights on the bushes by the front door with a holly wreath on the door.

However, the best laid plans of mice and men–and some women–gang aft a gley. The week before Christmas the white stuff returned. Even in the Porsche, conditions on the roads were treacherous and the drive was dreadful until Simon and Leon spread grit–rock salt–everywhere and even that froze.

Temperatures plummeted and we had some vicious frosts at night meaning that what had become compressed froze into very hard, slippery ice. The Wednesday night it fell things managed to keep going–just. In the morning I got the girls to school, but we live on a main road. Danny’s school closed, so he had the day off–he spent some of the day shovelling snow and building a snowman with it.

On the Friday evening, just in time for the rush hour we had a heavy flurry of an inch or so and with freezing temperatures, it was a nightmare. Simon took three hours to get home as cars got stuck. Then on the Monday before Christmas we had even more snow and once again it froze. Airports were being closed because they couldn’t clear runways and flights were being cancelled left, right and centre. I felt really sorry for people who’d booked holidays and then couldn’t take them. Drivers were being asked to stay at home–yet there were plenty who ignored the advice and just clogged up the roads for the emergency services.

I still had shopping to do, so we walked and took a sledge or two plus some bungee cords to get our provisions. Tom checked the generator and the diesel supply–if we had electricity cuts, which does happen, we could cope and keep the central heating working–which although gas does need electricity to keep the pump and clock working. It would also keep the fridges and freezer working and enable us to have lights and computers, oh and telly–not that I have time to watch it much, but there is a new Dr Who for Christmas Day.

We got the lighter stuff like bread and treats–mince pies and a chocolate log, that sort of stuff. I’d reserved a turkey with our local butcher and he arrived in his Landrover on Christmas Eve with our twenty pound turkey, plus some sausage meat and some other bits and pieces including a large gammon.

I ventured out in the Cayenne and bought a sack of spuds and enough carrots, sprouts, parsnips, cabbage and mushrooms to fill the boot. I also got some chestnuts, more bread and milk and decided if we got stuck over Christmas, we had enough food to tide us over to New Year.

Unfortunately we didn’t know who was going to be able to make it–Phoebe cried off, which wasn’t entirely unexpected, Pippa and family were going to until Stella persuaded Gareth to collect them on his way, which he was happy to do–obviously with the proviso he took them home again.

Simon used Tom’s Freelander to collect Leon and his Mum, and Sister Maria from the school, and Jenny was hoping her boyfriend would make it–except at the last moment he was sent abroad–probably Afghanistan. I think I mentioned he’s a Royal Marine and they get sent on all sorts of strange missions.

With two babies and loads of other people, I still had a catering effort to sort out and every spare pair of hands was utilised, including the smaller girls doing veg while Stella, Jenny and I did the cooking.

Okay, it was nothing exciting–roast turkey with all the trimmings, including chestnut, cranberry and sausage meat stuffing. Roast parsnips, carrots and mushrooms plus some baked onions. Greens were sprouts and broccoli. The starter was pea soup and the sweet, fresh fruit salad and ice cream–which Julie organised–it was really good. I know she was collecting brownie points from Simon, so he’d revoke her death sentence, but she actually seemed to enjoy what she was doing for a change, or she completely fooled me.

We had presents for all the visitors, which the girls would distribute to the adults and Danny to the kids–really only Pippa’s two boys. Lunch was chaotic and I nearly had a nervous breakdown when the gas pressure dropped and the turkey was going to take a bit longer. However, the frost on Christmas Eve was so bad, the visitors were later arriving than we’d anticipated.

However, by half past one it all came together and so did the visitors. By half past two everyone was loosening their waistbands or belts after an hour’s stuffing. Kiki was clearing up the leftovers on the plates. The silly dog even likes sprouts–so she can sleep in the conservatory tonight. Jenny and I dealt with the dirty crocks and Stella made cups of tea–although three or four bottles of claret had been consumed. I had one glass, so did Gareth who was driving. Simon wasn’t as restrained, which meant I’d have to take Leon and his mum home.

The kids played computer games and board games, the adults talked as much about the weather as anything. The oldies watched the Queen’s speech and I sat in the kitchen with my cuppa and relaxed for a few minutes.

Simon came out to see me holding a piece of mistletoe I just groaned he was well on the way. Anyway, it was easier to allow him to kiss me than make a fuss. I joked and said he had to give me a present–he had already given me some new bike stuff and kit–he reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out a little box.

“Merry Christmas, wifey,” he said and passed me the box. I opened it and inside was a gold Omega watch.

“Simon, that is absolutely beautiful,” I’ve done the, ‘Oh you shouldn’t have’ before and it only upsets him, so I accepted it graciously. He fumbled but got it on my wrist eventually and it fitted perfectly. Apparently, Stella’s wrist is approximately the same size as mine and she was used as a model–weeks ago. The gold bracelet sparkled and the black face was very clear with its gold markings. “Thank you, darling,” I said and kissed him again.

“Now you have to gimme something,” he joked.

I told him to wait and ran upstairs, in my bedside table I had a small digital camera, one of these micro things. It was already wrapped and had been an emergency present for a family member if something hadn’t materialised or been suitable. It was over a hundred pounds of Canon with ten times optical zoom or something and a very nice piece of kit. I dashed down again and presented him with the gift. He tore open the paper and opened the box.

“Brilliant–just what I needed, that will fit in my brief case beautifully.”

With the sound system playing carols and everyone replete and happy, he sat on the chair in the kitchen and pulled me on to his lap. “I love you, Mrs Cameron.”

“I love you too, Mr Cameron–Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas,” he replied and then we kissed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

awwww.... a Cameron Christmas

and it came off well even with the bad weather.

Sounds like Julie's been on good behavior for several weeks now. Surprised her attention span is that long.

Nice of Cathy to be gracious about accepting a gift finally. Was not impressed that it sounds like she hadn't thought to get anything really special for Simon.

All is well

Its sweet to see them finally settle down and stop fighting.

Bike pt 1222

Did they watch the DOCTOR WHO special?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And a....

Merry Christmas to us, each and every one.

Still a week behind the calendar, but who's counting. Will there be something ominous happening in twelve episodes (#1234)? In any event, I'm hoping the authorial team had a wonderful holiday, and has as good, if not better a new year.

Sounds like Cathy & Co. had weather that matched that of my friends who live/hail from over there. Go figure. LOL. We finally had out taste, with our Sunday night blizzard... Drifts in places over chest high!

Thank you,
Anne

Sweet

... and there was peace in the land with all the Camerons in harmony. Isn't ordinary life grand? *sigh*

Kim

Harmony

Thanks A+B+I (Christmas dinner): nice for everyone to experience this part of Christmastime with tranquility and goodwill.

Peaceful Season


Bike Resources

Wot? No crisis?

Sounds just like ours; peaceful and harmonious.

I wish everyone, including our illustrious bikers, a happy and healthy New Year, with safe and enjoyable journeys.

S.

A camera for a

A camera for a Cameron -- Just picture that. Truly a flash of inspiration, and the whole kit and Caboodal of them in one place. Well lacking Henry and Monica and Mo .... Dinner sounded scrumptious and sure beat the snot out of my Christmas day. "Oh, nobody nose the dribble I seen....". Snot really funny.
CaroL

CaroL

Logistics.

It seems to me that Christmas is nothing but logistics, logistics, logistics. Organising food, organising transport, organising accomodation and finally organising entertainment.
I keep telling myself every year that I'm going to a hotel but somehow family stuff keeps cropping up every year.
Would I be without it? Naaah!

Nice chapter Angie.

Still lovin' it.

Thanks. Love and hugs,

OXOXOX

Bev.

Happy new year.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

The calm before the storm?

It's Christmas Day and all is at peace in the household. Everybody has had a good time and got well and truly stuffed with food - including Kiki! As for the presents query, I'd imagine Cathy did give Simon a variety of presents in the general present opening - the digicam was an extra in response to Simon's unexpected gift of the watch. It's probably about 3-4pm over there, so there's still a couple of hours left until the the Who special.

Meanwhile, it's been just over a year since Billie and Danny arrived, and just under a year since Julie's arrival (a couple of days after Christmas). It's funny to think that the number of youngsters in the household has more than doubled since the start of December, 2009: first Billie and Danny arrived, then a couple of weeks later it was the turn of Julie, and of course a few months ago Baby C arrived. I wonder if the household will expand again before New Year... or Christmas 2011? As this tale is written on-the-fly, chances are that not even Angharad knows... although if the family gets much bigger, they might have to lodge a planning application with the council for an extension (given the size / location of the house, the application would be unlikely to attract significant opposition).

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Lovely Chapter

Thank you, Angharad.
I have just completed my usual weekly catch up of this lovely saga. A Cameron Christmas with no drama, well not as yet. As Tiny Tim was wont to say ‘God bless us, every one’

For those of your readers who also love the physicist Brian Cox, he is presenting three programmes this week 'Stargazing' on BBC2. Bliss.

Love to all
Anne G.

A good day

at the Cameron house. Guess Christmas wasn't canceled after all. :)

A wonderful story to bring in the New Year

A perfect Christmas with perfect family and friends, and a wonderful Christmas meal.
I can't believe it, that's my favorite meal, including the parsnips and the sprouts.

Karen