Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1210.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1210
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The weather became milder a couple of days later, then got cold again and I had to scrape the ice off the windscreen several mornings. The chip thing was switched off unless it got nicked again. I was tempted to have it sprayed bright pink, because that would have stopped anyone going near it let alone stealing it.

Back to the weather–of course the snow struck again, the day before the last day of term, so the school phoned to say not to bother going in. Since I’ve had the 4x4, I must admit that I tend to worry less about snow than I did before although I’m well aware that even these things can get stuck and need tractors to pull them out.

Of course with our first real snow, this was twice as deep as the previous lot, the kids wanted to go sledging. This time Simon took them, they walked while he skied. I could see Danny was envious of Simon’s skill in staying upright on two planks, whilst he plodded through the snow in his wellies, so I wondered if he might like some lessons for his Christmas present–there has to be a dry slope round here somewhere. The girls seemed happy pulling their sledges–actually, plastic ones they sit on and go like crazy. Jenny went with Simon having dug out her walking boots and borrowed my gaiters to keep her legs dry.

Once I’d got rid of the rest of them, I was able to get down to some paperwork. Tom still wasn’t right, he kept falling asleep and had a bit of a cough. I did suggest he saw the doctor but he told me in no uncertain terms that, ”Seeing that daft gowk, haed caused it a’ in thae firrst place.”

He was, however, rather pleased when I offered to do some letters for him. The university had got rid of the students a week or two before, but the staff are able to then get down to real work without the distraction of students.

Most of what I was doing related to the survey: it was going slower than I’d hoped but we were making reasonable progress, and I was doing minimal work on it just to keep things ticking over. It’s all the children’s fault of course, but then I invited some of them here or agreed to take them, so I can hardly complain.

I had bought Trish one of those microscopes you can fit to a computer via a USB lead–I thought she’d enjoy it and I think there was an experiment to grow shrimps from eggs–non-edible ones, I hasten to add and it even gives some yeast to feed them.

I did look at the instructions as soon as I got it home and it’s really intended for kids a bit older than her, I’m sure she’ll manage and I arranged to borrow some slides from the uni as well for her to look at–I’ve kept off the rat’s brains or dormouse kidneys and stuck to protozoans and botanical specimens.

Julie has invited Phoebe down for Christmas, but I’ve warned her that I’ll require some help cooking and cleaning. Julie was also looking enviously at Simon’s skis so we’ve arranged to get some for her plus a nice jacket and salopettes.

Billie has a new cycling outfit, and Livvie has a new bike the same as the one I’ve got for Trish, only different colours–they’re both Trek and I had them built by the local bike shop–the one we saved from burglary last year, so we got a good discount. Livvie also has a new mobile–the other one was on its last legs.

Danny will have skiing lessons as mentioned earlier plus a pair of skis at the end of it–he doesn’t know that yet. Finally, Mima will have a computer of her own–a mini netbook–she is so much smaller than the others, even Trish and Livvie who are only a year or so older. Anyway, she’ll be able to use it on the internet with our wi fi connection.

I stopped to feed and change the wee yin and carried on with my pen pushing while she sat in her bouncer thing and practiced calling me–ma-ma, ma-ma and so on. It was delightful at first, then amusing, then an irritation. Oh well millions of other women go through the same experience, sometimes several times–silly buggers.

At first I thought it might be baby C or even Puddin’ when I heard the noise, but it wasn’t. I stopped typing and tried to hush the baby, but she just got upset and started bawling. Something told me to leave her and find the source of the noise. I did.

I shut the door of the kitchen with a bawling baby on the other side and walked to the lounge and dining room–nothing there. Then I heard it faintly. I listened again, it was the study–it was Tom. I knocked and entered, he was lying on the floor desperately trying to breathe and he was frothing blood at the mouth. I grabbed the phone and dialled triple nine.

While I waited for the paramedics, I propped him up in a semi-recumbent position. His breathing was still awful but at least he looked a little better colour, he was grey when I found him and he was getting a little colour back but he was still bluish about the lips–a sure sign of anoxia.

I called Stella down, she was the nurse after all, she was horrified at what she saw. But she stayed with Tom while I went to calm down a now hysterical baby. She had hiccups from crying and had pooed her pants as well. The paramedic arrived in a Landrover and I let her in–a youngish blonde, with her hair tied back in a green scrunchie which almost matched her outfit. I showed her to the study and went back to the baby. I heard her go out to get some oxygen and she was calling her colleagues to hurry with the van to get him to hospital. Not again–I spend half my life at that place.

She set up an ECG and concluded his heart was okay, so it was lungs–query, infection–possibly TB, or a cancer, or an injury. Tom was so exhausted he couldn’t answer her.

“He had a flu jab about ten days ago and hasn’t been well since,” I explained, she made a note of it.

I sat holding the baby in one arm and Tom’s hand in the other, he tried to smile at me over the oxygen mask. The paramedic gently said, “If it’s an infection, it might be wise to keep the baby in another room.”

Reluctantly I let go of Tom’s hand and went back to the kitchen. I was close to tears I was so worried. He was seventy if not seventy one and not in the best of health. I healed his heart a year or so ago but the rest of him was overweight and out of condition. I suspected his blood pressure was too high but he wouldn’t do anything in case the doctor told him to stop his single malt every night.

The ambulance arrived and reversed up the drive nearly sliding into Simon’s Jaguar–he’d not long had it back from the garage, with a new windscreen, hood and paint job. Tom was loaded into the back on a sitting stretcher thing–I had to help carry it–he’s no lightweight.

Stella agreed to look after the baby for me, and I texted Si: ‘Tom collapsed — gone 2 QA. C x’

I asked Stella to tell him to stay and look after the kids, I’d be back when I could. Then I cleared the snow off the windows and screens of the Porsche, swept most of it off the roof–apparently it’s an offence to drive a car with snow on the roof–and set off towards the hospital. If I spend much more time there, they’ll be calling it the Lady Catherine, not Queen Alexandra Hospital.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The storm is raging

and not just the one outside. Not quiet at Cameron Towers for long, is it?

Coming up with all these plots is quite a feat (or should that be 'quite a feet?')

Thanks to our regular crew of disaster designers.

S.

I wonder?

littlerocksilver's picture

My 96 year old father-in-law had a minor stroke last Tuesday. He maintains that he does not want any unusual measures taken if he should take a turn for the worse. Fortunately, he is doing very well. He lost the ability to speak for a while, but it's comming back. I wonder if Tom is of the same mind set, although he is not that old, being only two years older than I. Cathy didn't rush to light him up. I wonder if she senses that he doesn't want to go on.

Portia

Portia

Meanwhile...

...the children are out sledging. And we know what usually happens in their vicinity during such activities...

Evidently, whatever power / force / entity is behind BLH, isn't nudging Cathy to intervene directly in Tom's case (other than drawing her attention to him). Then again, I don't think we've had (m)any cases involving an infectious agent - we've had water on the lungs, heart attacks, cancers, bullet wounds, stab wounds, asphyxia, but AFAIK not bacteria or viruses (virii?) - so maybe if conventional medical intervention can do the job it allows the medics to do their thing.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Sledging can be a lot of fun but ...

If one of them says,

"I'm going out. I may be some time."

PANIC.

Lt Scott -- of the Antartic -- didn't and see what happened.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Coughing up blood? NOT good. Was the flu shot not what it was supposed to be. IE yet another assault on Cathy and family or just a red herring and something else has Tom ill. Pnuemonia comes to mind. Or as he works in the university, exposure to a pathgenic fungus they were studying? A hemoragic mouse virus? Bozzi demanding another cliffhanger-itis?

John in Wauwatosa

4x4

Cathy needs to know that having a four wheel drive means getting stuck in a more inaccessable place.

Rosie

Rose

Bike pt 1210

Why didn't Cathy Ble Light her adopted Daddy?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

My thoughts exactly!

So far she has not used it on a viral thing though has she?

See my earlier comment...

I mused on that and speculated that as far as I know, it hasn't been used on anyone with an infection before. Cancer is your body's own cellular reproduction machinery going berserk, and pretty much everything else has been caused by visible external factors (bullets, water, pills, fences, trees, knives...)

So maybe it either (a) doesn't work on infectious diseases (otherwise every time a family member sniffled, "Bang! And the rhinovirus is gone!"), or (b) if conventional medicine can do the job to a decent standard, it doesn't intervene.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

If Livvie's Mobile…

was on it's last legs, it can't have been very mobile. Did it have arthritis, poor thing?

If so it has my sympathy, particularly in this cold snap.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Something wierd

Something's up if Cathy didn't Blue Light her adopted dad. (Has he written a will?)
Always be careful with 4WD cos you just get stuck further up the road. You are definitely better off on skis rather than four spinning wheels.

That's all for this comment.

I'm going to bed! Got a busy week ahead. Reindeer herding the beginning of the week then grooming and harnessing towards the end. And then there's the bloody sleigh to clean up. The queen elf reckons it needs a paint job as well as the broken runner THEY forgot to mention when they got back from last year. (The old bugger should have his license checked every year now.)
He came back pissed a couple of years ago and ended up at the SOUTH POLE. We had to send a search and rescue party out.

Good night all.

Still lovin' it Angie.
See you've had another dollop of the dreaded white stuff.

Stay warm and stay safe.
Love and hugs,
Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Always wondered....

I always wondered why 4x4 drivers thought they could stop better on snow. Yeah, I know they can go... But stopping?

You've been setting things up for Tom to have a problem for a few days... Now, the dam breaks, huh.

*sighs*

Thanks,
Anne

So I wonder who, at the

So I wonder who, at the hospital, needs healing now, as it does seem that each time Cathy goes there, she winds up doing so. I think the paramedics are taking care of Tom and Cathy is just being "pushed" to the hospital for other reasons.

You'd think that

Cathy would know what's wrong with Tom. If he has an infection she'd "see" it. Hope he'll be ok.

I wonder...

...what further adventures lie in store on this visit to the QA.

Given that the blue light thing doesn't appear to have done much at this stage, perhaps this is another means of getting Cathy to the hospital to perform a further miracle.

If that happens, she needs to watch out for Delia.

Thanks A+B: I just hope you don't have any plans to write Tom out of the story at this stage. At least he's going to get a comprehensive checkup: single malt or no single malt.

Physical Salubriousness


Bike Resources

You have to wonder

why Cathy had not healed him before this. Why wait until someone is in the hospital, unless there is someone else in need too.

Another cliff hanger

Poor Tom , Ang has forgotten him since his heart killed him awhile ago.
Time to call the blue fog in the 'balance.

Karen