Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1339.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1339
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I felt really cross with myself–I should have checked on it during the night–it might have needed feeding or–oh I don’t know–but it was my responsibility–and I let it down. So much for working miracles with the magic light–yeah–waste of time, and confirms that there is no benevolence in the system–I mean, how could a benign God let a baby die? Nah, religion is the bullshit of the masses.

I told the children what had happened and explained that there might have been injuries from the car accident that we didn’t know about. At first the news was met by silence, then a few chuckles then tears–and from Trish–anger.

Danny and Billie went up to see the little body and came back with her crying and him with arm round her. Livvie and Julie went to see and they both came back crying. I phoned Leon but he wasn’t there. Finally, Meems and Trish went to see it and burst into tears–then Trish began shouting at the universe, venting her anger and pain. Sometimes I think this girl could be my natural child had I been able to have any.

I tried to calm her down, but she ran off to her bedroom. I took the others back to the house and Jenny helped me console them. I would try and explain to them a bit later. In the meantime I went back up with Tom and offered to help dig the grave in Leon’s absence. Danny had followed me and grabbed a shovel.

I found an old sheet and wrapped the unfortunate animal in it and shut the shed. I sent Tom into the house to rest, he’d done his part–Danny and I would do the rest.

We picked a corner of the orchard which I thought would be suitable and we began digging. It’s a long time since I dug a grave for a pet and forgot what a back breaking task it is. We set to with spades and mattock and an hour later and two aching backs, we had a small pit appearing about two foot deep and four feet long.

I hacked away with the mattock missing perhaps the muscle I’d lost through oestrogen use, I’m sure a few years ago it didn’t seem this difficult to dig holes. We got down another nine to twelve inches and I decided that we’d stop before we ended up in it as well. Danny helped me out of the yard deep hole, which seemed deeper because of the spoil heap surrounding it.

I walked down to the house and said that Danny and I were burying the fawn, did anyone want to come and say goodbye to it. They all wanted to except Trish who was still upstairs–I asked Livvie to go and tell her what was happening, and went back to the shed.

Between us, Danny and I carried the dead weight of the little animal to the pit and we gently laid it down on a bed of the straw and covered it with straw. The children, including Trish came to watch.

I said a few words about the sadness of its short life and that life was sometimes seemingly cruel perhaps because we didn’t understand it. I also said to the children that sometimes things die even though we try our best to stop it happening. I chickened out of saying we would all die some day–too much information.

The children all said good bye and then helped us fill in the hole and tamp it down afterwards. After this, we planted a small holly tree on the grave to mark it and I left them to take buckets of water up to water it in.

I needed some space and went up to wash away the dust and grime of my burial duties–my back was killing me, not being used to manual labour. I decided to have a bath–a hot one.

I’d no sooner got myself into the water with much ooh-ing and ah-ing–well it was pretty hot–than Trish came into the bathroom and sat on the side of the bath. She dipped her fingers into the water and pulled them out quickly. “That is too hot, Mummy.”

“That’s okay, we can use the water for soup later.”

“Yuck–mummy soup–yuck and double yuck.”

I was tempted to say people receiving communion were doing even worse than that but left it–there was no point in confusing her with my prejudices.

“Why did the baby deer die, Mummy?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart, these things happen.”

“But we gave it lots of blue light, and that always saves things, doesn’t it?”

“Not always, darling, sometimes it seems as if it was something’s time to die–perhaps it was the fawn’s time.”

“But that’s silly–how can something that was only born yesterday be due to die?”

“Trish, I don’t know why it died–perhaps it was because it had lost its mummy–I have no idea.”

“You should have done a post autumn.”

“I think you mean a post mortem?”

“Do I? Any way you slice it open and see why it died–they do it the telly all the time.”

“Trish, there was no way I was going to slice open that poor little creature–its life had been short and sad enough already–besides, I don’t know what I’d be looking for.”

“Clots and bleeding–ruptured organs.”

“Oh yeah, and how d’you know all this?”

“I watched it on the Discovery channel.”

“Lovely, I’m glad I’m not eating anything.”

“You could have eaten it–it’s venison, isn’t it?”

“There is no way I am going to eat anything which came into this house as a guest for however short a time.”

“Oh alright, but I could have looked for injury for you.”

“Trish, I’ve dissected animals doing biology–it’s more difficult than it looks–and it could be that the birth was caused by the crash and was early–so the baby wasn’t really ready to live outside its mother.”

“It seemed alright to me.”

“Look, I don’t know why it died–could have been a broken heart for all I know–some babies can’t live without their mothers.”

“Well I had to.”

“Yes but you were cared for by others.”

“Not really–not until I came to you.”

“In which case be thankful for what you have. We tried to raise the fawn and we failed. It isn’t important why we failed because I doubt we’ll be trying it again.”

She dipped her hand in the bath again–this time for longer–then she dried it and began taking her clothes off–the next moment, she was squeaking as she jumped into the water with me–the joys of parenthood?

Despite my grumbles it was too hot for her–she stayed so I washed her back for her as she sat between my legs. She washed my legs and feet–I couldn’t even see them as she was in the way.

Finally, we stood up and showered, washing our hair before rinsing ourselves off and drying ourselves. She seemed to have calmed down and when I sent her off to dress, she seemed back to her normal self.

Billie had taken a photo of the fawn on her cell phone camera and uploaded it to her computer. Apart from her finger tip in the top corner, it was a reasonable photo, which Trish cleaned up using Photoshop or whatever program we have to do photos.

It’s embarrassing that I have a seven year old who knows more about computers than I do–but that seems to be a fact of life these days.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

Angharad thank you for another episode.

It is hard enough for adults to understand why animals die, let alone having to explain it to children.

Brian

sounds like

Angharad's picture

you're speaking from experience.

Angharad

Angharad

It is Even Harder

to explain the death of their wee sister, believe me, Brian. I wish so much that I had never had to.

I feel like Catherine, there is no sense to or reason for the universe, it can perahps best be explained ss an elaborate and cruel joke, with humans as among the biggest objects of amusement in it.

Briar

Briar

The way of the farm

Growing up, it seemed doubly injust to be eating a freshly cooked fryer, that had scant months ago been a cuddly little chick, or a steak off the leg of a calf I'd seen born myself. These days, I have little attaction for animals except to be quite certain that those who are placed in my care are treated humanely. I did become very attached to a little multiple colored, long haired Pomeranian that my X had purchased and tired of. In the end, I lost him too. It is not good to get attached of things. They have a way of being taken from you.

K

An important lesson in death and it's reality.

Isn't that what pets are for? To teach kids about death so that they'll understand when a family death arrives.

That's when kids learn that 'You can't even wriggle' when your dead.

Good story Angie.

Still lovin' it.

XXX

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

I Hope Not !

Beverly,

I most sincerely hope that it is NOT! The reason for having pets is to teach kids about death? I always understood it was to help them learn how to look after and love living things, and for adults it seems they perfom the role of substitute children, for those that have none, or whose children are now adults and have left home.

Briar

Briar

To live attachments are needed

The companionship of pets is such a necessary part of life. Sharing yourself with pets, loving them, helps to keep us alive. We have been fortunate that most of our dogs and cats lived to be fifteen or twenty. We enjoyed the time they spent with us and morned their passing. We still remember them.

Just like the love we have for our parents and siblings and children. We morn their loss but live through the attachments we have with them. Attachments are needed to keep us alive. I'm glad of the attachments I have.

As we lose those we are attached to, memories of them get us through the days.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Much Love,

Valerie R

Hard lesson for kids. Some

Hard lesson for kids. Some of us never really learn how to say goodbye.

CaroL

CaroL

One of the things...

...I like about Bike is that you get the family, warts and all.

Thanks A+B: life isn't always nice, and I do appreciate that you don't gloss over events such as those in this Bikesode.

Practical Stuff


Bike Resources

The Power of the Dog.

The Power of the Dog

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long--
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

dreams & deer

I'm curious about the time of death and kathy's dreams when she woke up. it would be interesting if timing was simular. it was stated she had this cold feeling @ time. and was glad she could snuggleup to Simon.

i'm curious tho about the boy ... gotta feeling there's gonna be more issues yet to arrive.
.
.
.PS - if it was time for the fawn to die. better sooner or later, B4 the kids really did attached to it. bad thing to say, but truthful. OH YEAH, never name someting before it's strong enuff to live normally. I made that mistake way too many times.

When Trish is 14

She is going to be an even bigger terror than she currently is.