Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1207.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1207
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I finished feeding the baby and gave her to Jenny to change whilst I went and showered and changed myself. The snow was still about so I dressed for the elements with a polo neck in red and a black jacket and trousers with relatively flat black boots.

“Have a lovely evening, Mummy,” called Julie as we left, while the others were sulking because we were leaving them behind. I pleaded with them to behave for Jenny and Stella because Tom wasn’t very well–he had a lousy cold if not flu, and he’d gone to bed early. I was a little concerned for him when we left, but this was what I’d asked for as my birthday present, so I had to go. I’d be driving so Si could have a glass of wine or beer, and besides, it was my car.

The drive through the ice and snow–it was freezing–was a fiddle but I took it easy and the large tyres plus four wheel drive kept us safe. Simon directed me to the restaurant and the car park was half full. I supposed some people had cancelled because of the weather–I couldn’t blame them.

On alighting from the car, he offered me his arm and I held it as we walked into the restaurant. “Lord and Lady Cameron,” he said and the waiter bowed obsequiously and led us to a table in the centre of the room. After sitting us at our table, he returned with menus and wine lists plus a single, red rose bud for me. I thanked him and Simon smiled. “Perhaps he fancies you?” said Si smirking.

“Can’t think why?” I replied not really wanting this sort of conversation.

“He can see you as a sexy woman.”

“Simon, I’m twenty seven, not seventeen.”

“And probably more beautiful now than ever.”

“Cobblers, I’m wearing so much moisturiser against the cold, that I’m surprised you can see my face.”

“Ah, that explains it.”

“Explains what?”

“It.”

“It?”

“Yes.”

“What is it?”

“The fact that your complexion looks rather pallid tonight.”

“Does it?”

“Yes, but then if you’ve rubbed in two kilos of elephant seal blubber, it would.”

Before I could react and attempt to wring his neck, in a very genteel manner as befits an expensive and exclusive restaurant, the waiter returned with the Pinot noir which Simon had ordered. I did think about ordering the most expensive starter I could find but I don’t like caviar of any description–it looks like tiny dirty ball bearings and tastes about as good–don’t ask me how I know, I’m still not sure if I ever did pass all of the ones I swallowed.

I went with the soup–broccoli and Stilton, he had quail’s eggs, they were only fractionally bigger than the lumpfish roe–okay, they were bigger but you get my drift. I mean you could hardly stick a toast soldier in one, could you?

I drank mineral water while he quaffed his wine.

For main course, I ordered swordfish with pesto alla siciliana tomato, almonds and basil with olive oil sauce, a green salad and garlic bread. Simon went for a steak tartare–though why anyone would want to eat raw meat and egg baffles me. However, he ate it with gusto and I ate mine with pesto, mine was delish, his looked like cat sick with an egg on top.

Dessert for me was an apple and mint sorbet, Simon ordered baked Alaska–if it was half baked would they call it Sarah Palin? He also put away cheese and biccies, coffee and a cognac. I pushed the boat out and had a latte coffee.

It was a very nice meal but the place was only half full, the waiter said the place had been fully booked but people cancelled because of the weather. As we sat drinking our coffees, some bloke behind began to cough, then wheeze. I heard someone thumping him on his back and Simon looked concerned, “Poor bugger is choking.”

I turned round and the man was going from red in his face to blue round the lips. I jumped up and turning him to face the wall, did a reverse abdominal thrust, locking my hands in a fist and yanking them up under his diaphragm. A second go achieved the objective and he shot a piece of veal into the fish tank about ten feet away. I think everyone gasped. He certainly did and sat down heavily on the embroidered chair. His partner, presumably his wife thanked me and I nodded going back to finish my coffee.

“These things follow you about, don’t they?”

“Don’t be absurd, Simon, you could have done that just as easily as I did, and I’m sure there were several others present who could have done it.”

“So why didn’t they?”

“I have no idea, would you like me to stand up and ask them?”

“No, sit quietly and behave yourself.”

“Would you like me to fold my arms and sit up straight like a big girl–we used to do that in school, did you?”

“No,” he gave me a look of disbelief and I knew I’d got my own back for his earlier irritation.

“Any news from Henry about what happened to the bank building?”

“They think a gas explosion.”

“What about the bomb thing?”

“That might have been a hoax.”

“Come off it, what really happened?”

“If I told you, I’d have to kill you.”

“Very funny as well as unlikely.”

“Why d’you say that?”

“Can’t see you coping with all the kids–can you?”

“It’s okay, 005, I’ve changed my mind, you won’t need to do it tonight,” he pretended to talk into his wrist watch, much to the amusement of the woman on the table to the side of us.

“If you drink much more, you won’t be able to do it tonight either.”

“What kill you?”

“No, what’s the expression, oh yes–give me a good seeing to.”

“Of coursh I will, both of you,” he pretended to slur.

“Very funny.”

“Excuse me your lordship, the gentleman on the table behind would like to buy you both a drink for saving his life,” interrupted the waiter.

“Oh okay–another cognac for me, Cathy?”

“I’m fine thanks.”

“Go on the chap’ll feel guilty all night otherwise.”

“I don’t want anything.”

“Suit yourself,” Simon acknowledged him with a wave and I rose and went to the ladies. Unfortunately, as I came out of the cubicle his wife cornered me.

“Thanks for what you did earlier. I’d often thought I’d like to poison the old bugger, but when I thought he looked like a goner, I felt really awful.”

“That’s okay, it’s something I picked up during a first aid course years ago.”

“Well, we’re both really glad you did. Did the waiter say you’re Lady Cameron?”

“Yes, that’s me.”

“Glad to meet you, I’ve followed your adventures with great interest.”

“Oh?” What I thought was, ‘oh-oh.’

“Yes, we must have lunch together some time.”

“I tend to be very busy most days–big family and three full time jobs, not including the stunt woman at Ellstree.”

“Very funny, I insist.” She shoved a card in my hand and as I walked back to my table I glanced at it, Delia Duttine — London features correspondent, New York Times.

Just what I need.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
239 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

uh-oh

Maybe she should have let the poor man choke to death...

Ah, but what I want to know is…

…did the fish eat the regurgitated veal?
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Oh my!

Simon ordered baked Alaska—if it was half baked would they call it Sarah Palin?

What it is to be famous; thank God I'm not - I hope!

S.

I think in this case:

Angharad's picture

Notorious might be more apposite.

Angharad

Angharad

But What She Dont Know Is:

that Nature abhores a vacuum. So, fortunately for the entire Planet Earth, even the USA, she is going nowhere.
:)
Briar

Briar

Half-Baked Alaska...

might even be too kind in describing her.

Thanks for the laugh there and in whose husband she saved, and for your efforts in continuing this story.

The last thing...

...Cathy needs is another journalist taking an interest in her activities. I believe the motto of the New York Times is All the News That's Fit to Print. One wonders how much of Cathy's story would fit into that category.

Thanks A+B+I (gourmet food descriptions): I can see that Izzy has worked overtime on this Bikesode, so you'll have to give her a bit more care and attention for her efforts.

Once again, I thought the dialogue was a treat to read.

Priceless Stuff


Bike Resources

Huh

kristina l s's picture

'I insist'...how to win friends and influence people. Good thing Cathy's feeling mellow.... so a few threats and invasive 'journalism' before an epiphany is reached. A suitable degree of discomfort before she sees the light too I trust. Then maybe they could just run her over in the car park. Nah.. too simple... I'll just wait and see I guess.

Kris

ps half baked..Letterman could probably use that one, he likes Sarah.

Bike pt 1207.

OK, did Simon set this up and the poor man choking incidental, or is she for real?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More nosey reporters

Glad to see you made it home in time to write 1207. After this a nice hot drink and then to bed my girl.

Cathy is getting closer and closer to notoriety she's going to have to be careful. The Yank press can be every bit as intrusive and 'pushy' as the Brits.

Good job Cathy's got a clear head tonight.

Still lovin' it.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

I Still Like Reading This Story!

I'm still enjoying the reading of this story. It's quality hasn't diminished in any way since I started reading around Part 300 and something, I think.

What's got me depressed is the promise I made you, Ang, to comment every time I caught up. You see, I firmly believe it's better to sit there silently and be thought a fool than to say something and remove any doubt in the minds of the listeners. The same applies to comments. I freely admit that frequently I can't think of anything cogent to say about the story so, henceforth, I intend to restrict my commentary to what at least makes sense to me and appears to be at least somewhat germane to the plot. You, Ang, will just have to be assured that somewhere out there, I'm lurking and still reading away if you're still writing away. In any case, if you were to stop writing this story (Heaven forbid!), you almost certainly would get a comment from me.

Thank you again for doing this for we poor non-scribes whose imaginations never developed properly.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Another great posting of

Another great posting of "Bike" and I just loved the Sarah Palin comment. She definitely is no "Iron Lady" as I understand PM (Mrs.) Thatcher was called during her time in office.

Great story

JBP
I have enjoyed every chapter of your ongoing story.
I read it for the suspense and enjoyment it brings. I do have to say that I do not appreciate or enjoy political commentary that is derogatory towards one that I respect and holds political beliefs close to my own.
Thank you for proving a TG story can be great without a lot of gratuitous kinky sex.
John

JBP

Oy!

There is no such thing as 'Kinky Sex'. If one, two, three or more individuals agree to participate in a pastime or undertaking enjoyable to those individuals and causing no harm to themselves or others then it is just FUN! Not Kinky sex!!

The expression 'kinky sex' is a typical heterosexist, bigoted remark that they, (heterosexist bigots,) deem gives them the right to judge others then invade privacy and destroy human rights.

It is an expression typical of witchfinders, inquisitors and narrow minded religious fundamentalists who somehow deem it their 'god-given' right to oppress others with their perverted, puritanical misconceptions of righteousness.

Hopefully the civilised world has moved on from such medievil hypocracy!!!

It's about time that American 'bible-belters' caught up!

Live and let live matey, live and let live!!!

I'm the white haired old tranny but I'm sure having FUN FUN FUN

Beverly!

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Kudos for Bike!

Kudos for Bike!

My kudo button doesn't always work, but my keyboard does.
Thank you Angharad, Bonzi, and Izzy.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Had to happen eventually,

Last thing Cathy wants is a reporter sniffing round. But sniff they will, she is charismatic, pretty, and has secrets, who could resist?