Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1183.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1183
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“What did she do to me?” asked Hendry.

“She–can I tell him?” Ken Nicholls looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders. “My decision then?” he asked and I nodded. He paused for a moment.

“Tell me what? What is this between you three?” Hendry demanded.

“Okay, I’ll tell you if you swear to keep this secret,” Nicholls informed his colleague.

“If it isn’t illegal or immoral, I suppose I could.”

“Little Cathy here has magical powers.”

Hendry looked at him and burst out laughing. “You’re taking the piss, Ken, aren’t you?”

I shrugged again, and Nicholls shook his head.

“You’re serious, ha ha, that’s even funnier,” he laughed loudly and I could see Simon becoming a little irritated. I put my hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

“Let me put a question to you,” posited Nicholls.

“Fire away,” replied the sniggering Hendry.

“If you were to have an X-ray on your back what would it show?”

“A chipped vertebra, T8, why?”

“So if it wasn’t chipped, what would you say?”

“I’d say you had the wrong X-ray.”

“Go and get it X-rayed and see.”

“What’s that going to prove?”

“A starting point.”

“For what?”

“For a discussion.”

“Don’t be stupid, Ken, it was X-rayed last month, it’s not going to have grown bone is it–not in that time, if ever?”

“I’ll bet you a tenner you’ll be surprised.”

“If you’re so confident, make it twenty,” said Hendry.

“Why not make it interesting, how about a thousand?” Simon enjoyed a wager.

Hendry swallowed hard, “That’s getting a bit silly.”

“Go on, the winnings go to the children’s unit,” Simon urged.

“I can’t afford a thousand, it’s all right for you banking types.” Hendry looked very anxious.

“Okay, You give me twenty pounds if I win and I’ll give you a thousand if you win,” said Simon, who was showing a great deal more confidence than I felt.

Hendry seemed to think for a moment, then said, “Okay, you’re on.” He went off towards the Diagnostic Imaging Department.

“While it’s quiet, let’s go for a cuppa,” said Ken Nicholls, so we did. I also brought a bottle of water back with me so when I expressed, I’d be replacing some of the fluid.

The conversation at the restaurant had been about what drug could have been used to stop Julie’s heart and who had introduced it into the drip. We decided it could have been anyone who had entered the room, including our so called body guard. We’d left a nurse sitting with Julie with instructions not to move unless the hospital burnt down. She had paperwork to do so she was quite happy to sit down for five minutes and rest her feet.

“Why d’you think someone wants to kill Julie?” asked Nicholls.

“I wish I knew. If she does, she’s keeping it very quiet, which isn’t like her at all. She didn’t tell Stephanie as far as I know.”

“If she knows something very dangerous, would she tell anyone–it could endanger them too.” For Simon, that was quantum leap stuff.

“She’d have told me,” I boasted, although I wasn’t as sure as I pretended.

“Is that why that bloke Bird tried to kill both of you?”

I hadn’t thought of it like that, “Could be, but he’d be taking a huge risk in a hospital.”

“Maybe he was paid enough to make it worth his while?” suggested Simon.

“If it was him who died at Southampton, I think he needs to renegotiate his terms and conditions of employment.”

“Cathy, you are funny,” said Ken tittering.

“I’m not sure your colleague would agree,” I suggested.

“That’s his loss. I’d better get back–I wonder if your stuff has arrived yet?” we walked back down to Julie’s room where Hendry was waiting and showing the nurse some X-rays. Ken Nicholls looked at them saw the damaged vertebra and was about to tell Simon to pay up and look big. Then he saw the date–this was the old one. He asked Hendry for the new one and thankfully, the bone had regenerated. I took a deep breath, for a moment I thought I might have been losing my touch.

“Now dear boy, let me tell you a bit about our esteemed guest,” Nicholls put his hand on Hendry’s shoulder and they wandered off together.

“Your stuff is on the locker,” said the nurse pointing to a bag. I checked inside and there was a breast pump and a couple of screw top bottles. I sat down, made myself comfortable, pulled the curtain round me and undressed enough to start expressing. My boobs were bursting with milk, so I filled the two bottles in less than half an hour then pulled my bra back on. Someone had generously supplied some pads which I slipped into the cups of my bra and sat holding Julie’s hand.

Simon kissed us both, and took the milk home for the baby. I felt a slow but regular flow of energy passing through my hand and into Julie, it was obviously restoring her to where she needed to be. I tried not to think negative thoughts, it interrupts the flow and makes things take longer.

Two hours later, she pulled her hand away and her eyes fluttered open. “Mummy?”

“Hello, sweetheart, how d’you feel?”

“Where am I?”

“In hospital.”

“Why?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“Oh, okay then.”

“Why was Alfie Bird trying to kill you?”

“Who’s Alfie Bird?” she asked and looked at me curiously. I wondered if she’d had too much juice.

“He’s a big fat chap who worked at your college.”

“Where?”

“In the kitchens, as a porter or something.”

“Did he? Dunno–can’t think of anyone like that–you sure it’s the right one?”

I wasn’t any more, except he had tried to kill me as well, though it was he who had the bruises. I wondered if it was he who was dead or had someone else been killed?

“Would you like a drink?” I asked Julie.

“Oh yes please.” She sipped the water down a straw, then a little later she nodded off to sleep again.

I was left to ponder a number of loose ends but came to no conclusions other than we were very fortunate to have Julie still with us. If she could come home tomorrow, I’d take her there as soon as I could.

Simon sent me text. ‘It was a bird at Soton. Take care of urself. Love Sxxx.’

‘Missing U. Luv C xxx’

Deciding there was only one way into Julie’s room, I pushed the chair up against the door and curled up in it and tried to sleep a little. I think they call it power napping, if you get twenty minutes you’re able to go on for a couple more hours. I did it on and off all night.

My phone woke me, Simon sent a text: ‘How r u? S xxx

I sent back: ‘OK, wots for brekky? C xxx

Half an hour later he turned up with two huge bacon and egg rolls and two cups of tea in take away polystyrene cups.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, there is another

doctor as a believer.

Get Julie out of that hospital and the whole family to the castle asap. This seems far too serious.

Worried that there may be more damage to the poor girl than we thougth Her "where?" sounds too much like a question about the college to me. Hope I'm wrong.

The mystery deepens

And still we are no nearer to discovering the real villain behind the murder attampt.

Keep it up Angie Conon Doyle. You'll get published yet! (If you haven't already been.)

Still lovin' it.

Looking forward to 84.

Love and hugs.
Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

The plot deepens further...

‘It was a bird at Soton. Take care of urself. Love Sxxx.’

That indicates Alfie "Vulture" Bird's still alive, and it was a female patient that was murdered at Southampton. And is there a connection between Alfie's arrival and the woman's demise? Meanwhile, it's puzzling how Julie's forgotten him, unless she normally wouldn't have remembered his name anyway, and her temporary recollection was something to do with her strain of BLH clairvoyancy.

So, we've now got another consultant in the loop on BLH, and Simon's temporarily returned home. I wonder if he's had a chance to chase up Morris Security yet?

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

When Simon said a Bird

Surely he wouldn't say Bird as in female? I presume he meant Alfie Bird. Therefore, there's possibly two killers on the loose.

This could run and run. Oh well, bedtime for me. G'nite.

S.

Ambiguity

While "a bird" could be interpreted as A. Bird (Alfie Bird), I would have thought he'd be less ambiguous if it was Alfie that had been killed; so he's probably using it in the sense of a male colloquialism for the female of the species.

However, Alfie was probably suffering from concussion when transferred to Southampton, and given the police knew of his nature, I would have thought he would have been on sedatives or otherwise in no condition to kill a random woman in the hospital. Unless she's either TG or saw something she shouldn't (and it was a coincidence Alfie was there at the same time), we could very well have a murderer who may not be connected to either Alfie or the gang he's been working for.

It doesn't help that Angharad's probably as much in the dark about where this plot will go as the rest of us - her muse only ever pops up for a brief period each night between her reading the previous night's episode and clicking the [ Preview comment ] button...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Oooo, A Mystery!

My take is that someone on orders from above, silenced 'oor ol' Alfie to pre-empt any possibliy he may say something.....

PB

Perhaps to the Colonies in America ?

Yes, I am thinkin' it is time to get outa Dodge. I'm wracking my brain to think of why she is murder meat? I can't imagine anyone getting that upset over a bad Perm.

Much peace

Khadijah

If you're wracking your brain ...

... what do you think Angharad's doing? She says she writes this 'on the fly' so she's as likely to be baffled as we are. The difference is, she's the one who's got to think of an answer and, going on previous plots, it could be a very wild one.

Robi

my own theory...

is that it's Meem's birth mother, back from South Africa or wherever.

Okay, okay, it doesn't fit. But one day it will. And I can say I TOLD YOU SO.

Bike pt 1183

Glad they haven't tried to sabotage the breast pump.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm surprised.

No, not that Hendrey was healed.

But she doesn't mention the nurses wanting in every two hours to go take Julie's 'vitals'.

That seems to be a constant in hospitals on this side of the pond.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Here too.

The last time I was in hospital was after I planted my face in some prime Yorkshire limestone whilst riding my MTB and my night's rest was disturbed several times by a nurse checking to see if I was still alive -or waking me to see if I had been asleep! I had several hours of facial plastic surgery the following day but it didn't make me any more beautiful than I had been before the incident :) At least it was all FOC and my wife was fascinated by the embroidery :)

Robi

You know...

You know... It's a good thing my younger daughter doesn't read this... We're working on her to convince her that text messages CAN have fully spelled out words and decent grammar. LOL

Interesting with the other doctor...

Thanks,
Anne

Hospital blues

Thanks A+B+I (Bacon and egg rolls): I hope it's not too long before you figure out what's going on here, and let us in on it, too.

I'm a bit worried about Julie as well. Did she suffer some brain damage during all the drama?

Despite her power naps, Cathy's going to be very tired after her vigil.

Passive Signs


Bike Resources

Stephanie's role

Ummmmm you wouldn't think that Stephanie wasn't blackmailed into hypnotising Julie and telling her to forget everything about bird and other bad guys would you? I mean she knew who he was, and now nothing.

Just wondering.

Good job Angharad, you are an awesome writer.

Joni W

my suspicious mind

has 3 suspects for the ring leader
1. that cop with HIV or a friend of his
2. a different cop
3. someone from that drug ring, IE that Cathy & simon met up with @ warehouse.

Whom ever it is has insider knowledge of too many things that have occurred

So the plot thickens,

Someone is still actively after Julie (and Cathy) and Julie can't remember why. Ouch!