Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1105.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1105
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I searched upstairs but couldn’t find Trish–where was she? Maybe she hadn’t gone upstairs. I roused the rest of them and for the moment Trish was a secondary concern.

Once they were all stuck into their breakfasts, I asked Livvie where Trish was. She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. A lot of use that was. I asked the rest of my huge brood and none of them had seen her.

I called upstairs but there was no response. I asked Stella to keep an eye on the rest and went to look for her. Julie sensed my now growing unease and came outside with me. We walked up and down the garden calling her name but nothing, we neither saw nor heard her.

I now began to worry. She was very clever intellectually but she was still only six years old, a child in anyone’s currency.

I went back indoors and called her again. Julie stayed out and began looking through the sheds and outhouses. Why was she so upset? She’s seen the other girls when they’ve been in the bath or shower and okay, there’s sometimes a bit of teasing goes on about her outie rather than an innie, she always seemed to take it in good heart–she knows they wouldn’t wish her any harm. But then she knows that when she’s old enough, if she still feels the same, we’ll have her see the best surgeon we can afford wherever and whoever that is. The same will be true for Julie and Billie–although, I do have doubts about Billie–in some ways I see her as a failed boy rather than a girl, if that doesn’t sound too patronising. Trish, I see as a real girl, who has held that conviction since she was a toddler according to the home.

Still philosophy wasn’t going to find this little girl, I began to look upstairs again. I started at the top of the house and worked my way down, no sign of her. I spoke with Julie–she wasn’t anywhere in the outbuildings.

By now, Tom and Danny–who was miffed he was missing his football, led a search of the garden and orchard, helped by Billie and Livvie. Meems helped Stella watch Puddin’ and Baby C. They were to shout if they found her.

My anxiety was rising faster than a Saturn 5 rocket, where on earth could she be. I went upstairs again, she wasn’t in the girl’s room, I even tried under the beds–except they’re all drawer divans, so she’d be pushed to get under one of those.

Bathroom? I checked their bathroom, she wasn’t there, mind you someone had left the hot tap running. I called her again and again, pleading with her to show herself.

I went up to the attic floor again and called, no sign. Back down to the first floor–again nothing. I looked in my room, even in the wardrobe–the cupboard was bare. I decided whilst I was there I’d have a quick wee and try and rethink where she might be.

I walked into the bathroom sat on the loo and nearly died. There poking out from the shower curtain over the bath was a pair of feet and legs. I jumped up almost weeing in my pants. I drew back the curtain and screamed.

Stella came rushing up and sat me down on the loo while she examined the body. “Ambulance,” she said into the phone, whilst I threw up into the washbasin. She said who she was and where she was. “We have an accident, a child has got a severe laceration and is bleeding profusely, yes, I’ll try and stop it, just get a wagon here quickly.”

I sat there crying when Stella turned and smacked me across the face–“For Chrissake, Cathy, do something to help or this child’s going to die.”

Her tone and the slap woke me from my stupor and I grabbed some sanitary towels and held them against the wound. From my muddled understandings, it looked as if she’d tried to castrate herself, from behind her little scrotum. There was a vegetable knife lying beside her.

Sirens soundeded what seemed like hours later, though it was only minutes, and moments after that, two paramedics came dashing up the stairs with their boxes of stuff.

“How long has she been like this?”

“I don’t know, we’ve been looking for her for maybe twenty or thirty minutes.”

“So, she is actually a boy?” he asked.

“She’s transgendered, she sees a psychiatrist, but lives entirely as female.”

“Okay, her BP is very low, we’ll need to set up a drip to try and stabilise her, then off to the QA. Get a coat.”

They had a drip up in minutes and then he carried her out to the ambulance while his colleague held the drip. I carried their cases down for them, then climbed in the ambulance with her.

“Is she your daughter,” the paramedic asked as his colleague drove like a demon to A&E.

“My adopted daughter, is she going to be okay?”

He shrugged.

They rushed her into A&E and I was made to go to the waiting room, where ten minutes later, Tom arrived looking as worried as I was.

“I called Simon. he’s on his way. Whit fa’ did she do this, hen?”

“I don’t know, Daddy,” I sobbed as he put his arm round me. I was so glad he was with me.

Eventually I was summoned to an interview room. “I’m afraid the police will have to be informed.”

I nodded.

“It’s only a formality, she’s in surgery–but it looks like she’ll lose one if not both testes. I take it she did this herself?” He looked at me and I nodded. “She has a history of gender dysphoria. Are you her mother?”

“Her adopted mother.”

“I see Dr Rose is one of her consultants–do you mind if I bleep him?”

I shook my head. He dialled and a couple of minutes later the phone rang.

“Hi, Sam, it’s Pete Woods, I’ve got one of yours just admitted in theatre.”

I assumed Sam asked who.

“Trish Watts, yeah attempted DIY sex change. See you in a few then.” He looked at me, “He’s coming down.” I nodded my understanding.

A little later sipping a cup of tea I related the morning’s events. Sam Rose was astonished at my feeding a baby without any chemical help, and then nodded when I mentioned seeing Trish trying to do it and then being upset at looking at the baby’s genitals.

“I can see why she might have done it, but normally she’s so level headed,” Sam observed and I nodded. A woman police officer arrived and I had visions of being taken out in handcuffs for child neglect.

However, statements were made and I was told to expect a visit from a senior officer who would decide if charges were to be made, and of course good ol’ social services. She then left.

“If you need support, let me know, Cathy, I’ll happily stand up in any court in this land and tell them what a splendid mother you are.”

“Thanks, Sam.” He gave me a hug and left.

Simon arrived a little while after we were allowed up to Trish’s room. I sat and held her hand and talked to her as she slept. She was now a castrato, but as far as they could tell, the wound was clean and they’d stopped the bleeding.

Simon kissed and hugged me, shook hands with Tom, and then kissed his daughter, “It’s okay, sweety-pie, Daddy’s here,” he said to her and stroked her cheek, I’m sure I saw her smile for a moment.

I told him what we surmised had happened and he shook his head. “Is that Stephanie woman, any bloody good?”

“Yes, and the kids all like her.”

“So how come this has happened, then?”

“I don’t know–I’m half sure that Trish won’t really know either. I think she’s felt so handicapped by her anatomy, that she saw the baby and just flipped.”

“But without taking her panties off, you wouldn’t know, would you–so why the rush to chop off her nuts?”

“I think they’d only just descended and she was very conscious of them, hating them.”

“So did you, but you didn’t try a DIY job, did you?”

“Only because I knew it would count against me–it was very tempting, very often.” I hung my head.

“Geez–zus,” was all Simon said.

Tom nodded sagely, he’d seen his own daughter go through all of this, so he had some insight. “Mebbe, I’d better go an’ help at hame.” He hugged me and then patted Simon on the shoulder. Then he leant over and kissed Trish before leaving.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such courage

born of desparation. This could mess up her growth, her chances of future treatment, all sorts of things. The medical profession probably won't see a girl with a birth defect, just a boy with a mental illness. What's the betting that 'they' put it down to attempted suicide? And how will Social Services react?

Sad.

Gripping stuff as usual A + B. Knocks spots off anything you'd find on the tele.

Susie

She's right.

It is that bad. Nearly all of my transgendered friends have expressed some degree of dissatisfaction (usually total,) that has led to the wish to castrate themselves when they were previously encumbered of those awful reminders between their legs.

One of my friends was so much at war with her testicles that she had the surgeon give them back to her and now they are two decorative earings.

It's desperate out there and it must be even worse where there is no state help in transitioning.

I hope Trish pulls through. Poor bloody kid! She'll need lots of love and care Cathy, hope you've got the time.

Love and hugs,
OXOXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Bike pt 1105.

Her action has caused much grief and posibly can cause Cathy to lose all of her adoptees and fostters if the social worker makes an issue of cathy, trish, Billie and Julie being transgendered.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Please,

ALISON

'don't anybody think this is far fetched.I still have bad dreams of a 14 year old boy/girl who
managed to cut her penus and genitals off in one slash and despite our efforts at the scene and
a surgical team at a hospital 3 minutes away,she was unable to be saved.I cried and am still crying
for the kids who,like Trish,become so frustrated and injure themselves in this way.In days gone by
it was not uncommon and it should not have happened,but it did.God help them.

ALISON

I hate to say it...

but if *I* were Social Services, I'd just have to look at the record, and at least some of those kids would be gone as fast I as could manage it. Yes, I know that probably wouldn't be very quickly. But I'd certainly have to oppose any permanent adoption.

Objectively, Cathy may be the most loving mother, but Simon is mostly absent. Stella has a history of mental illness. She has an infant that needs care. There's WAY too much on her plate. There have been several cases where the children in her care have attempted to injure themselves. It's clear the children need more help than Cathy can provide. And that's before taking into account any prejudice regarding gender changes.

I agree it's doubtful they could ever find a better placement, but there's enough evidence on the record, Social Services will HAVE to step in. If there was ever (heaven forbid) a fatality, they'd be negligent, knowing what has already happened. If Social Services lets Trish remain in the house, they are not doing their jobs.

Forget a housekeeper, that place needs a live-in shrink.

Right On The Money

Finally common sense. There are no good choices but the best
choice must be found. You must have worked in social services
or have a degree in that area. Thank you for the common sense.

Trish

Oh dear! Trish is going to need lots of blue light. Are you there Shekinah?

I don't know how you achieve it A+B, but you constantly manage to surprise, and this installment is no exception. Rereading the previous episode, the signs were there, but who would have thought it?

Poor Trish. I wonder if there's any circumstances when young children would be given reassignment surgery for their mental health. If ever there was a case for doing it, this would be one.

Pediatric SRS


Bike Resources

One of the reasons

Angharad's picture

SRS isn't offered to kids, is that it creates scar tissue which prevents growth. In kids who need some sort of genital surgery such as AIS 'girls' who might not have properly formed vaginal openings, they need surgical intervention every so many years, because their bodies grow but the altered tissue doesn't. I used to work with a woman who had such a daughter.

Angharad

Angharad

Too Much On Her Plate

Any home would have problems with too many children. But that would
be the case no matter where the child was sent. The real issue is
the mother is transgendered and she has four adopted children with
similar problems. Is she somehow responsible for that. If they came with the transgender problem it might be OK. But if she is somehow contributing to the situation then I would say the social worker must act. Gory chapter but what can you do if you need to point out a situation. Good story.

I'm not surprised it happened.

I'm not even surprised it was Trish. She's like any of those out there that I see and met here at this site. Trish is so smart that she is wound really tightly. And speaking from first hand experience. The smarter you are the harder it is to turn your brain off. I feel for her and the family. There's all the talk about the blowback from this happening. If it does in anyway Trish will blame herself.

Bailey Summers

NO, I'd blame them.

When the rules are stupid, they are stupid. Fuck em.

Gwendolyn

Too Harsh

a response. The "they" have responsibilities set by society that
is "us". I have worked in social services and it comes down to this,
"your at fault if you do and at fault if you don't." There is no
one good answer it is the best choice out of several. None of the
choices being good. There is a problem in the household and it needs
to be addressed. I believe there are four children who have gender
problems. The adopted mother had issues with gender. This needs to
be looked at to find out what part that mother is playing in the
problem. Is she helping or enabling.

Yes, well a girl's gotta do ...

I hope that every single reader here does not smack me down, but at first they were so uncooperative with me that I was gonna do it myself. By some miracle, I ran into a Urologist who was retiring and he did it for me for a flat $1000. The shrink had given me the permission letter but expected me to wait to save the money for the full meal deal. There was quite an uproar, but she had given me permission.

I doubt that once a kid has done it herself, they are gonna punish her forever. That would be absurd.

Gwendolyn

I Am Surprised

you would pick someone who is retiring. I would think you would
want the best. Current knowledge and steady hands.

Driving Test

littlerocksilver's picture

This so bumbed me out when I first read it that I was thrown into a depression, seriously. Then I realized what was going on. This is like a quite well written short science fiction tale called Driving Test. A driver goes through a horrible scenario where he is in an accident where people are horribly maimed and killed. Then he wakes up and realizes he has just been put through a psychological test. The examiners ask him if he wants to get his driver's license after experiencing the horrible and very realistic induced dream. He says yes, and is immediately locked up as after what he experienced, he would have to be insane to want to drive.

Charlie is going through the same thing. All candidates for sexual correction surgery undergo a very realistic scenario induced by modern dream inducing devices. This is all a dream. When Charlie wakes up, he will be asked if he wants to continue with the hormones and surgery. After thinking about it, he says yes and is immediately locked up and given shock treatment and a lobotomy. The doctor uncannily resembles Stella.

Portia

Portia

Simon just has NO clue...

Simon just has NO clue, nor do most guys I suspect. I do know the temptation that it appears Trish succumbed to. Oh, do I know it! I was actually almost hoping my nephrologist would say I couldn't use the androgen blockers, which might enable an earlier orchi. (No such luck. Apparently my kidneys & liver are healthy... I guess that's good news. LOL)

I hope Trish ends up okay... Hmmm. I wonder what happens now, for the little genius? Eventually, she'll be getting some form of hormones. Will it happen as a young teen? Or will it still have to wait. Interesting quandry.

Thank you (I think) for bringing this topic into public view. I do look forward to seeing how you work through it.

Anne

Work through it?

Angharad's picture

Um--Bonz what do we do next?

Angharad
(un-Qualified seat of pants flier)

Angharad

Too Young

to be making such choices.

Maybe Cathy thought

Trish was too intelligent to do what she did , But given that she herself contemplated doing the same thing to herself, I hope she is not too hard on herself when she thinks about any signs that she may have spotted before Trish attempted her own DIY job....

Kirri

I know we shouldn't be depending on the "blue light"

all the time but I'm surprised that after using it to guide her to Julie Cathy didn't start pumping energy into Trish as soon as she'd called the ambulance. Hoping all the social service predictions aren't going to come to pass. btw - hasn't Cathy formally adopted Trish? If so, they should be in a very different situation than the "foster" one.

I suspect this is not that uncommon

a scenario. Trish is under the care of a councilor, and she has a long history of being TG before Cathy got her. I suspect not much is going to happen, especially with the speed she is going to heal.

Half way there, dosen't need to worry about testerone changes

Being unqualified to speak on the subject. I have heard of this before, but usually in older children, not 6 yr olds.
Need I remind everyone that this is a story. To quote Gilbert and Sullivan, "Oh don't the days grow lank and long, when all goes right and nothing goes wrong?"

Cefin