Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1116.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1116
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next morning, after doing my bit towards sorting the children, I went upstairs and had a luxuriant shower, after moussing my hair, depilating my legs and underarms, rubbed in some nice creams, did my hair, then my makeup and dressed in my YSL suit and blouse, to which I added my red court shoes; squirt of perfume, and after being told by my kids, “You look nice, Mummy,” which boosted my ego, I went to the office building where the divisional headquarters of High St Bank was located. It was twelve o’clock and Simon had told me that we’d have lunch a short meeting to discuss the job we were interviewing to fill, and I’d have a chance to suss out Howard Sutcliffe, the man Simon wanted to dump.

Simon insisted that no matter what happened, I wasn’t to disclose we were married, nor was I reveal my own gender history. I was an ecologist who advised the bank and they were looking for someone to assist me in developing policies and implementing them. I couldn’t complain, I wrote the job description.

I parked my car and tottered to the reception desk, then took the lift to the fifth floor. The bank apparently owns this building but only uses the fifth floor, but as the local council were pulling out of the floor below, Henry was considering moving some more of the HQ staff to Portsmouth. Simon was half hoping he might be able to work from there himself with adequate computer support. Besides, he was doing less speculation and more management these days, so theoretically, unless he physically had to go somewhere, he could do much more from Portsmouth than he’d once been able to do. The added incentive of the council offering some relaxation in business rates to businesses moving to Portsmouth also tempted them. I’d be pleased if he didn’t have to go up to town so often.

I was given my visitor’s ID card and escorted to the office we were using as a prelunch venue, then in half an hour we’d have a buffet and do the interviews. I led into the room, “Ah, Cathy, how nice to see you again.” Simon embraced me and it was all I could do not to giggle. “This is Howard Sutcliffe, the third member of our panel.” I shook hands with him and felt my skin crawl. There was something wrong with him, physically–something very wrong. He looked quite well, but the tan was from a sun bed not a natural–outdoors, variety.

“So we’re looking for an assistant for you?” he asked in an unconvinced tone.

“That’s the plan–I’m too busy with my university stuff to do more than advise on environmental issues, so I need someone to implement policies the board agrees upon or are forced on us by government.”

“This a full time or part time post?”

“A full time one,” Simon answered for me. “I might combine it with one or two other bits and pieces.”

“This one of Henry’s ideas?” asked Howard.

“Yep, so let’s not disappoint him and we’ll all keep our jobs.”

“With all due respect to Miss Watts, why do we need an environmental advisor? I shouldn’t think they come too cheaply, do they?”

Before I could say anything Simon answered, “She saved us over a million pounds last year. What we pay her in return, is peanuts.”

“I stand corrected.”

We sat down at the table and over cups of coffee or bottled water, we assessed the three candidates. A man and two women, one of whom was the transgender one.

“I think I’ve seen this one before.” Howard held up the application form from Erica Heath. “If it’s the one I’m thinking of, she’s bad news.”

“Why’s that?” asked Simon as I felt myself growing hot.

“She’s actually a he, one of those transvestite types, wants a sex change.”

“Does it matter? If she can do the job?” I asked, trying not to sound more than a broad-minded liberal.

“Do you want these people representing you? Or the bank?”

“I don’t have a problem with it, do you?” I threw back at him.

“But she’s a bloke in a dress?”

“So, I’m not too worried about that, I’ve dealt with transgendered students before, and they caused no more hassle than ordinary ones.”

“It’s okay for you, Miss Watts. With your looks, you bring a sophisticated elegance to our image, but this one looks like a bloke in a dress,” he pointed at the application form.

“Maybe, with a bit of help, so will she.”

“You haven’t seen him, I have.”

“We have an equal opportunities policy, Howard,” Simon reminded his ex-friend.

“Stuff and nonsense! Why should we employ these freaks?”

“Because our policies say we have to, and so does government.”

“I can’t see what difference gender makes to the job,” I asserted.

“Not for natural men or women, like us–but for those weirdos, how can they deal with the public?”

“I still don’t see the problem.” I felt very vexed with this dimwit, and what was wrong with him? He was on steroids, his face was bit bloated, he was also on other drugs but what for? Retrovirals? Shit–he’s got HIV. Yep, that’s what it is–HIV, so is he a closet gay or just stupid with sex?

“I think we need to move on to the others.” Simon was chairing the meeting. “This chappie, Eldridge Cumberland, now there’s a name to conjure with.”

“A background in sociology and personal grooming–what sort of degree is that?” Howard was off again. Simon had confided that Eldridge was gay, and would mention it during the interview–he was also black and from Trinidad originally.

“Who’s the other one?” I asked.

“Rita von Dieter,” Simon managed to say without laughing. I didn’t say anything, but burst out laughing, as the names nearly rhymed.

“Christ–she did women and gender studies, another waste of time.”

“Are you always this judgemental?” I asked Howard.

“You laughed at her,” he replied defensively.

“I laughed at the way Simon said her name.” I heard him chuckle at that.

There was a knock at the door and in walked two ladies with a trolley and several plates. We withdrew our papers from the table and they proceeded to lay a cloth and plates of salad, cold meats and fish, sandwiches and other cold delicacies, then some cake and desserts, like gateau and fruit salad. There was enough for ten here to be eaten or left by three of us.

“Pity they didn’t invite the candidates for lunch, there’s enough food here for them and us,” I suggested, too late to be of any use–well, I’m an ecologist, we always get there too late.

“Yeah, we could have seen if any of them can use a knife and fork properly,” said Howard, using a knife like a pen, which wasn’t how I was taught to use one. Simon must have seen the astonishment in my face at Howard’s double standards.

Howard, went off to the loo and at last I could speak to Simon, “You know he’s got HIV?”

“You what? You’re joking? You’re not joking? Oh shit–that means I can’t fire him.”

“Isn’t he supposed to tell you if he suffers from any long term condition?”

“People don’t, even though we have loads of ways of hiding it from casual detection.”

“All three are out there,” remarked Howard as he picked up his plate again.

“I’ll get the girls to send them in. We get the chance to have a look at them, and they get a free lunch.” Simon shot off before anyone could object–well before Howard could. “They’ll be in in a moment.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Howard

Interesting that double standards have been mentioned in connection with his name...

...especially as Cathy's medical diagnosis sixth sense as picked up that he has an 'interesting' medical condition.

So the medical condition might make it difficult to make Howard redundant, but (as seems likely) he doesn't mention it, could it be used as a factor in retaining him? If so, then how about offering a lucrative transfer to another office... preferably as far away from Portsmouth as possible :)

Meanwhile, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Cathy offers the new TG on the block more than purely ecological and line managerial advice. You never know, she may even attend the same support group as Maureen (and the late Mitzi)... perhaps she attended the funeral and recognises Cathy?

Interesting developments...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ahhhh

Forgot about her ability to recognize things like that... Perhaps Howard's position can be eliminated, and since he can't be fired - offer him an alternate position at a new branch they're opening in... Oh, pick some remote area where he's not likely to be willing to go...

Wonder if that'd work...

Thanks,
Anne

One Wonders

littlerocksilver's picture

Since our noted author knows what's going on, I won't guess too much. I suspect Howard, if he does have HIV, holds a grudge against all gays, and any others he puts under the broad umbrella that fits his definition. Maybe Cathy will be able to penetrate his 'protective shield' and get him to see the error of his ways - if I am correct.

Portia

Portia

What a place to finish!

What a tease you are, Angharad :) Just as the story was getting entertaining you leave us dangling on a string ... over a cliff ... and the string's beginning to fray.

Just caught up after our sojourn away and it's just as good as when we went away.

Robi

Sorry,

Angharad's picture

Real life issues interpose and I am very tired, so ran out of steam for tonight.

Angharad

Angharad

Complaints

None of them are real of course, we all understand

I hope ...

... you appreciate that we appreciate your efforts greatly, as cyclist implies. My comment was, as they say, intended in the best possible taste.

I hope you have a nice sleep and wake refreshed in the morning.

Robi

I am sorry you are tired.

I do hope that you are able to get some rest and feel better tomorrow.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

May they...

May the RL issues be resolved in a manner you desire, and may sleep deal with the tiredness.

Anne

I don't think it should be that difficult to deep six Howard ...

Yes, the bank might have to really make a more solid case, , but ...
1. he has hidden his medical problem(s?), so I don't see where he could use it as a defense.
2. he has or will show strong revulsion and refusal to go along with the laws regarding hiring any gender variants.
a. Erica Heath - strongly against recognizing transgender
b. Eldridge Cumberland - race and his gender variancy, which he will probably notice.
c. Rita von Dieter - in this case, as the others, he has already prejudged them before the interviews even begin.

As a hiring manager, he does not cut the mustard. I'm sure the bank could look into other previous hiring he has been involved with and find more evidence, not that it should be needed.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Left hanging again.

Once again we're left hanging again, but in the nicest possible way, that is foist by our nerve endings.

Understand the fatigue thing and the reason, as you explained the other day. Go to Bed!!! Try and get whatever sleep you can.

Beverly.

Still lovin' it.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

This series keeps getting better!

I'm sure the blue light thingy was involved somehow in Cathy's being able to diagnose Howard's physical problems. Will some healing be happening?

Thanks A+B+I (buffet lunch). I understand from your comment that you're exhausted, so my extra thanks for your efforts which are very much appreciated. I hope you're able to get some well-deserved rest.

The setup for this sting has been brilliant—you and your feline assistants really are master puppeteers, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the denouement.

Prejudices Showing


Bike Resources

One more thing...

...that I meant to comment on: the possibility that Simon might be able to do most of his work from Portsmouth:

However, as the local council were pulling out of the floor below, Henry was considering moving some more of the HQ staff to Portsmouth. Simon was half-hoping he might be able to work from there himself with adequate computer support.

It would be good for all: Cathy, the children, and Simon himself if he were able to devote more time and energies to his family.

Parenting Support


Bike Resources

what if

what would happen if the blue light not only heals the "guy's" AIDS, but also his blood samples that might be around somewhere?

scenario:

simon gives him the boot.
the "guy" counters with an attest to his medical condition.
simon asks for a blood sample for an independent test.
test comes back negative.

conclusion. the "guy" gave false information (though it could be argued he didn't know better), and simon got one more apparent reason to give him the boot.

or maybe cathy can make him see the light.

UK vs. US

Someone in the US, facing a similar situation of being fired for cause while having a high-maintenance chronic health condition, would have a much more horrible set of circumstances to face than Howard does. They'd lose their health insurance, which might not be a death sentence in itself, but it is a poverty sentence. To be eligible for Medicaid, which is the US's health care plan for the truly impoverished, you pretty much have to be penniless and not own any property or anything else worth anything. Then, because the plan's expense is shared between state and federal governments, and most states are strapped, there's a certain amount of foot-dragging in approving new applicants. People do die while waiting for approval.

Also, if you're fired for cause, like stealing, physical attack, or violating federal laws, some states won't pay you any unemployment insurance. Criminal conviction is not required. All the employer has to do is put down the cause on the form they file with the state agency. You can sue, but the entire burden is on the dismissed employee.

In the UK, someone with an expensive, chronic condition is more likely to get hired than in the US, because the employer doesn't have to worry about the employee driving up the cost of health care for the whole company. Yet another advantage of National Health. And, if you lose your job, you don't automatically lose your health insurance. And, for some reason, the various social welfare programs don't seem determined to completely strip you of all dignity and possessions before you can get back on your feet.

I'm not sure the grass is always greener on the other side, but I definitely see some advantages in this case.

Okay, I'm missing something.

How can Cathy tell the bigot's HIV Positive?

He IS a bigot, however... You made that abundantly clear. *sighs* So much of that in the world.

(I heard my brother's voice from his mouth for a while there. *sighs* Very binary in HIS thinking... And, as far as he's concerned, there's only two kinds of people in the world, defined by genitalia. He doesn't believe there really are people born with extra bits, or with wiring wrong. *sighs* Lucky me, huh.)

Now, I'm wondering where you're going with this story... Interesting.

Thanks,
Anne

P.S. And, as was pointed out elsewhere, I know recall Cathy's ability to diagnose with no apparent evidence. *sighs* Just too close to the story I guess...

In the past I recall Cathy

In the past I recall Cathy just knowing what was wrong with some people and in some cases fixing them. Today, it seemed like she deduced it from observing external clues and maybe a bit of "the gift".

Contact

I shook hands with him and felt my skin crawl. There was something wrong with him, physically—something very wrong.

Perceptive Sensations


Bike Resources

If Cathy can now heal at

If Cathy can now heal at distances, what would prevent her from being able to diagnose Howard's illness and cure him of it? After he is cured, if the blue light will do that, maybe Simon could get the bank to open a branch in Thailand so Howard could be around many, many TS/TG people and learn to be more accepting of others.

what a mess

Even if they can't fire this biggot, at least they can move him to a position where he can't damage the bank. Is there anyone he's in favor of? Probably not.

Bike pt 1116.

Howard might have been with that Eldridge Cumberland chap. Will be fun to see.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Can someone help me understand?

Andrea Lena's picture

...how would using something as positive as healing someone just to get them fired be a good thing? And to Stan specifically; how would finding out that Mr. Cumberland and Howard, who's HIV positive, having been together be 'fun to see?" Wouldn't that mean that Mr. Cumberland was also HIV positive? Ever lose a family member to AIDS? I have. Nothing funny about that at all. Howard may be a fictitious character, but his affliction is all too real, and there's nothing remotely fun to see about that.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The Reason

is obvious why he tries to appear so conservative. He fears
being found out.

Re: HIV

Although HIV is associated with the gay community one does not have to be gay to be a victim of this condition. At least that's my understanding. Many people have caught it through infected blood tansfusions. If this was the way he became infected, that would explain his attitude to anyone who he considers to be gay.

He is a rude, judgemental man and HIV but are they related?

That he is a jerk may be bitterness for his fate or it may be entirely separate.

He could have been a jerk long before he contracted the disease.

Ang and Hie Royal Higness Bonzzi have constructed a conundrium for us

Only they know for now.

As to the blue light, it chooses who to heal. Cathy has only limited control. And the telling her in recent episode to be warry of the goddess who granted her the blue light is bothersome. What is the risk, beyond exposure to discovery? Is there a terrible price to pay or not?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

He Probably Contracted It Fom A Prostitute

jengrl's picture

He probably contracted it from a prostitute. It is fairly well know that a lot of so called straightlaced Rich guys have been known to be busted for soliciting prostitution. He is probably unwilling to admit that he is to blame for his own decisions and is looking to blame someone in the LGBT community because some of those stereotypes still exist and they are a convenient scapegoat. Of course, he could be like some Televangelists who hide behind a Conservative facade and are in reality, pretty loose in their sexual escapades and desires. Hypocritical people if there ever was.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

More Straight Than Gay

Although HIV is associated with the gay community one does not have to be gay to be a victim of this condition.

Just to amplify what you said, HIV is both a blood-borne disease and a sexually transmitted one. As such, it spreads like wildfire anywhere people have unprotected sex. (Condoms, condoms, condoms, people!) For the record, there are way more straight people having sex than gay people. It spreads vaginally just as well as anally, more so considering that vaginal sex is more likely to involve two-way transmission, including from woman to man. AIDS in Africa and India are almost exclusively straight epidemics. In Eastern Europe, a great deal of it was nosocomial*, transmitted by egregiously unsanitary medical practices.

In the US, the gay male community has become more aware and practitioners of safer sex, but public health officials still resist programs that provide clean needles to drug addicts. In inner city communities where straights have unprotected sex with multiple partners, and drug use with shared needles co-exist, the majority of HIV positive individuals are straight.

Anyway, as Howard doesn't seem to be hating on doctors, druggies, women, or priests, one suspects he caught this disease during some imprudent liaison in his closeted existence.

__________
* Fancy word to blow up your spell-checker. It means spread or caught in a medical setting.

Interesting that the bank owns a building in Portsmouth

The company that pays one of my pensions opened a branch in Porsmouth 40 years ago. I worked there for 25 years until they moved the office and my job. I was also born there so know Portsmouth very well.

Still loving the story, but do make sure that you get adequate rest Ang. You've just had an intense weekend and need to recharge. Lots of tea, cuddle the cats, sleep.

Susie

Perhaps Simon

can no longer sack the loathsome Howard, But surely he can make life so difficult for him that he leaves of his own free-will....Perhaps that could be achieved by making Erica Heath his boss!!!

Kirri

Someone enlighten me, please?

Why can't they (the Bank) sack Howard? What has HIV got to do with it? The guy's a jerk and contrary to Bank policy, he's proved that with his behaviour on previous occassions.

Obviously Howard's never disclosed that he has it, so he can't claim that's the reason the Bank is sacking him. Simon's been provided with enough evidence to sack the guy for multiple 'offences' against Bank policy. It took Cathy and her 'power' to even realise that Howard has HIV, so why has this knowledge put the brakes on the Bank's plans?

PB

It is more likely Howard

will be put in a position without the authority to hire and fire. Maybe even early retirement?

A cliff hanger ! Finally.

I once was accused of being a bigot, by a very liberal woman because I said "most male Arab horse trainers are gay." Several hours later, I arrived at the horse show and received a quick kiss on the cheek by a flagrant gay friend. She was standing beside me, of course, no apology. I'm not gay by the way. And she really was the bigot.
Ain't people funny ?

Cefin