Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1094.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1094
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I dropped the clothing to the undertakers and suddenly it was Thursday. I was getting the hang of having a young baby, with Stella’s help, and here I was leaving her to Stella’s tender mercies while I went off to the funeral. Trish wanted to come as well, but I didn’t think a funeral service would be any place for a child. There were protests and tears, but I held firm and went alone.

I wore a dark suit and a raincoat—the weather had turned unsettled and it wasn’t as warm as August is generally expected to be. On my feet I wore boots with modest heels, I would attend at the grave-side and drop in the few flowers I carried with me. Made sure my makeup was waterproof but even then there was a risk that I’d smudge it all over.

Inside each of the coffins I had placed a small gift, a teddy for Daisy, a wedding posy for Maria and a golfing glove for Paul—he was apparently very fond of his game. I also put in a photo of the baby for each of them. I was invited to the undertaker’s to see them all before they sealed the caskets and while I was afraid what I’d see, I actually went and said a personal goodbye and gave them their gifts. I also kissed each one of them on the forehead and left. It was an hour before I got home I was so upset. That was on the Wednesday and here it was, the funeral.

The priest did a good job and I stood and sat at the appropriate times, and even managed the odd amen. The church bore a respectable crowd and I was a little concerned that I appeared to be sitting on my own in the front row.

The eulogy was very moving although I couldn’t go with the ‘being called to Jesus’ bit but then it wasn’t my show. Otherwise I sat quietly and wept with most of the other people who were there. I glanced around at the decor of the place and felt totally alienated by the iconography— it did nothing for me, let alone console me.

After, at the committal, I stood in the rain holding my umbrella in one hand and my three flowers in the other—a white rose, a red rose and a large ornamental daisy. On the signal from the priest I dropped my flowers one at a time onto the coffins and then walked from the grave. Others did similarly and followed me away. Afterwards, the priest and I thanked every one for coming and then invited them back to the Royal George for refreshments.

“Are you Maria’s sister?” asked several of the mourners, and seemed surprised when I said I was just a friend.

I was pleased to see Andy Bond there, and he explained he always tried to attend a funeral for anyone with whom he’d been involved. The refreshments were the standard fare of tea and sandwiches. I wasn’t hungry and the lump in my throat made swallowing even the tea difficult.

How could a whole family be wiped out in such a short time? All that was left was the little bundle of joy in my house and I would do all I could to help her understand her past.

The funeral director spoke to me afterwards. “I think your idea of dressing them in their wedding things and the little girl in the bridesmaid’s dress was delightful—d’you know, I’m sure after we did it, the whole place felt lighter, as if they approved.”

I shrugged, “I don’t know if they did or not but to me it seemed to be appropriate.”

“How is the baby?”

“She’s fine, she’s doing well on the hospital milk—I get fresh breast milk from the hospital although we have to try and get her on to a formula one next week. Apparently, they can only supply it for so long.”

“I think you’re very brave to take on someone’s baby, especially as you lead such a busy life.”

“She is such a sweetheart, she wakes once in the night and takes her feed very nicely and goes back off no problem.”

“You’re very lucky, all mine played hell during the night, and one used to get colic.” A tall woman stood next to me. She looked me up and down, “Are you the Cathy who helped Maria after the car accident?”

“Only insofar as I went to see Daisy each day to let Paul spend time with Maria.”

“I heard you’re something of a healer or a witch.”

“I’m actually a biologist, so I think you may have the wrong Cathy.”

“No, I think you’re the right one and you were very uncomfortable in church, why was that?”

“I’m agnostic.”

“Um—that’s interesting, you’re not into the goddess, then?”

“Goddess? No, I don’t believe any of that mumbo-jumbo stuff, it’s just words.”

“Is it? Her presence in you is very strong.”

“Is it, sorry I don’t feel it.”

“Just relax and let it come through, she will guide you.”

“I’m doing alright by myself so far, at least I think so.”

“Well, she has told me to inform you she is waiting when you change your mind, rejoice in her, she only comes to those females she judges worthy of her help and never to men. Let me know if I can be of assistance.” She shoved a business card in my hand and left. I shoved it in my pocket, the last thing I needed at the moment was being admitted to a coven or something similar, especially to worship a goddess who couldn’t tell a real female from a wannabe. I was getting tetchy. I tried to eat something— a small tuna finger roll—hoping it would boost my blood sugars; as that could explain my crabbiness.

I spoke with several other mourners, one who’d worked with Paul who told me several stories, which I’d have to document, so I could pass them on to Catherine. One or two were friends of Maria, and again I was asked if I was a relative, although the priest had said both Paul and Maria were raised in children’s homes. So maybe it wasn’t just me who failed to listen properly to the eulogy.

I did try to listen to the bit about Daisy, but the, ‘suffer the little children’ made me feel angry. Then when he went on about how both Maria and she had recovered miraculously from earlier injuries, ‘they were surely blessed.’ I felt like standing up and asking if they were, how come we were attending their funerals?

I didn’t of course, it would serve no purpose except to upset people who were upset enough. Maybe they had been blessed, who was I to disagree? After people began to leave, I thanked the pub landlord for the spread and left.

I drove up onto the downs, parked in a view point and howled for half an hour at the injustice of life, at its unfairness and how could any god or goddess, for that matter, take the life of a six year old child?

After I’d totally ruined my eye makeup I wiped my face and went home to try and recover from my sadness.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice

littlerocksilver's picture

I think that summed up things very well. Cathey and I must have gone to the same school.

Portia

Portia

Bike pt 1094.

So, Lady Cathy may be a Healer, but not linked to the Church. Who is this godess, Gaea?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thing is Cathy

has always felt she was female, and revels in her role as mother of her brood. That is what the goddess would see as well, also men have been granted gifts from the Goddess, they are just not as attuned to the her Nature is all.

As always though a wonderful addition to your epic story.

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

It only hurts

if you loved them or more importantly, if they loved you.

Thanks for that.

Beverly

bev_1.jpg

Interesting food for

thought from the tall woman, I always did wonder if Cathys blue light came fom someone else !

Kirri

Well what can one say

I've been to my parent's funerals and at least 3 others and they never get easier. Obviously a family struck down in their prime is even more so as all the funerals I went to with the exception of one were for people over 70.

Cathy I think will always be a solitary, never joining any groups ( eg Covens ) which imho become more cultish than anything. Even if the lady in question is a true witch or even a priestess, to her getting Cathy would be a prize indeed and to be cynical, said priestess may try to use her to her benefit to bolster her position.

When I thought of Daisy and the little one, I thought of the Kingston Trio song that I think is called 'Turnaround', about the progression of young girls from babyhood and the suddenness of them becoming teenagers and adults and mothers of their own. Cathy will have the bittersweet privilege of loving and raising as close to being a daughter who will only know her as her mother who will one day leave her to start her own family. Still whether Cathy knows it or not, she does not even realize yet the depth of such a bond can be yet.

Kim

in my experience

those wishing to learn more about the Goddess, are led to her priestesses and High Priestesses. I have never gone recruiting, and do not teach such a thing as those that the Goddess touches will lead them to more help if they require it.

DesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I have no doubt you do not 'recruit'

However I have had personal experience from one group who did but in a discrete way. The duality of transpeople ( from what I've read ) makes them a natural fit for the role of a Shaman. My ex-partner was discretely recruited by being given more access (familiarity) to the high priestess but when she did not bite, they basically just turn their backs on her.

There are all kinds and this High Priestess was very powerful within her group, held extremely reverently but yes she was recruiting, but very discretely. I think it is suspect that this woman was so pushy with pressing herself on her.

I am not saying it is a bad thing but I am suggesting it is not unheard of. Intention is what really matters as you well know.

May the Goddess's blessings be upon you and yours,

Mote it be.

Kim

Its a No No

In my trad and a few others it is stricktly forbidden to recruit.
I usually point out that recruiting is akin to wanting something for the seeker more than the seeker wants it for themselves.

How can I comment?

Your thoughts were so moving to me. I'm glad Cathy made it through the funeral and kept "in control" seemed like she did a wonderful job in her hostess role.

What may be the sign of the "Goddess" to one is the sign of the power of the universe to Cathy. I'm glad Cathy doesn't feel the need for a group. Hoping the girls don't get lured into some kind of group or cult at some point. Have to agree that Cathy or even more so Trish would be a prize to any coven.

I dislike attending

NoraAdrienne's picture

funerals so much, that I've made up my mind to not attend my own either.

Wise Words

littlerocksilver's picture

As someone said once on this site: I intend to live forever: so far, so good.

Portia

Portia

*sighs*

I think I'm glad I wasn't able to keep up with this on a daily basis, while on Holiday visiting Donald Duck & friends... (Okay, I saw Snow White, Jasmine, Mulan & Alice far more times than Donald...), but more on that will be forthcoming in a blog (when I find time to write it.

Quite an interesting story arc. Instead of making things EASIER on Cathy, by providing a live-in housekeeper. You provide Cathy with a newborn baby to care for. Sounds like a wonderful kid though. Waking up once in the night at that age IS a blessing.

Thanks for the story.
Anne

I have to ask

Why was Cathy left to go through this horrible occasion alone? Where the hell was Simon? It's your JOB to be there, bub! I think it's awful that Cathy was left to her own devices for this extremely trying day.

Funerals

I always find it difficult attending the funerals of young people, particularly children, compared with those who have lived to a ripe old age. In the former case, the funeral frequently is about what might have been, instead of celebrating a life well lived.

Thanks A+B: I constantly marvel at what you're able to produce on a daily process. Writing today's episode can't have been easy, and I think you did a really good job.

Pretty Sad


Bike Resources

That Hurt, Angharad

You are so damned good a writer, you can really get inside how it feels. I imagine you have gone through this kind of thing or you would not be able to do it. If I am right about this assumption I am sorry - I understand your feelings, i too have been there and done that. (no T shirt for it though). If I'm wrong, then you are even better a writer than that, and must be really good at hearing from other people how they have felt in different situations.

After my poor baby daughter was born, died and the tiny body had to be disposed of, I was so angry with this perverse universe and any useless excuse for mythical being that supposed it was in charge of it, that I too headed for a hilltop, where I got some relief by shouting obscenities at the universe and its supposed god (it HAS to be a male one, otherwise thigs would not be so godamned awful!) I wanted to meet this monstrous mythical being and punch him on the nose!

All those untrue platitudes people tell you, about "time will heal" - how much time ? 40 odd years and it still damnedwell hurts like hell.

Well, this put the final nail in the god hypothesis coffin for me, pushed me from tolerant agnostic to militant atheist.

Sorry for the rant, Angharad. I have to do that now and again, to get it out of my system.

I'm just going through this never-ending story from the start again, to remind me how Cathy lumbered herself with all these children. I'm a bit bothered about the way her life is going, from being a very promising scientist she is becoming more and more trapped in the web of domesticity and child rearing, and losing all that she has to give to Science. Again it is like a parallel to my own life - I had gotten my BSc , and started my first PhD, when we found I was pregnant. My Hubby urged me to stay on, and I did. The College was very considerate and I was allowed to use the Creche that was really for Staff, my Prof gave me a couple of lecture sessions with Freshmen classes to authenticate my entitlement to use the Creche by being officially a member of the faculty (he was a lot like your Tom character!), and Hubby filled in for me at home. It was a problem juggling everything but my firstborn daughter certainly did not suffer and we all managed to struggle through. My second daughter came two years after and we managed with her OK too. Hubby played Midwife as we were then living in a country cottage and it had no electricity -she arrived by the light of a Tilly Paraffin Pressure Lamp. Nurse arrived in time for the afterbirth and Doctor a bit after that. I took time off without pay from the Pharmaceutical Lab I then worked at. We had lots of help from Grandparents over the following years.

After an intervsal I went back into research work. Then into admin and marketing. I hope Cathy can do something like that too.

Hugs,

Briar

Briar

What a way to start the day!

What a way to start the day! I almost had tears in these jaded old eyes. You told the story very well, Ang.

Thank you, again.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

and another thing :)

Is there a reason that Cathy couldn't breastfeed the little one, with a little help from her doctor? (Or the blue light?)

Heck, there are documented cases of men spontaneously starting to lactate in cases of dire need. In case the idea makes her feel too much like a real woman :)

Misty

YES transsexuals can lactate, in fact many do early stages on hormones. not enuff to feed a baby, but like our GG counterparts if our breast developement is far enuff along we can take same medication they do.
one of those I believe is Motilium a prescription drug.