Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1170.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1170
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Did you ever get a response to your text?” asked Simon as I parked the car.

“The one to Julie?” I asked and he nodded. “No, but then if her phone was switched off I wouldn’t would I?”

“No, I suppose not. You don’t think she’s just pissed with us and dumped the scooter to worry us, do you?”

“Si, she might be a teenager but she wouldn’t do something as stupid as that. I wish there was some way of knowing if she’d been to college.”

“What good would that do?” he looked even more forlorn than I felt, and I felt pretty bad.

“It would give us a starting place.”

“What about the scooter?”

“That’s what’s so funny, it feels absolutely dead–I’m not getting anything.”

“Could that mean she’s dead?”

“I don’t know–it might, but equally might not.”

“What do we do now?” he asked me as we walked into the house.

“Wait and see if the police find anything, which I think is unlikely.”

“Why?”

“With thermal imaging equipment, if she was anywhere near there, they’d have found her in a few minutes.”

“What even in the water?”

“Even if she was dead,” I replied and burst into tears.

“You don’t think she is, do you?”

“I don’t know, Si.”

Simon went up to shower–he was cold and wet–leaving me to deal with all the anxious faces.

“We don’t know where she is, I found the scooter which the police think could be damaged by a collision. They haven’t found her yet, or hadn’t when we came home. I don’t know any more than that. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need a cup of tea and I suspect Simon will need something a little stronger.”

I retreated to the kitchen and Stella and Jenny allowed me to escape without interrogation by Trish, who was bursting to ask something. Most of the time I can cope with and even enjoy her questioning mind, but tonight I felt very fragile and vulnerable.

I sat in the kitchen and drank my tea, then resting my head on my arms, I leant on the kitchen table and was asleep in minutes, staying like that until Simon found me half an hour later. He took me up to bed and I just lay on the top and slept again. I later found out he undressed me to my undies and put me into bed then cuddled into me and I slept all night.

I woke about six, wondering where the baby was–Jenny had moved the cot with Simon’s help to let me sleep. I was still exhausted when I woke, but I knew that was nerves or anxiety rather than anything else.

I slipped out of the bed only to discover I was in my bra and pants with a mouth which felt as if it had been carpeted. I showered and dressed after cleaning my teeth–that helped the furry tongue syndrome. Then it was down to make some tea and start wondering how I could find my missing child.

I looked at the photo I had of her, such a happy kid–sometimes, she’s a teenager, remember. I kept saying she was fifteen, she’s not she’s sixteen–she had to be to ride the moped thing–shows my mental state when I can’t remember how old my foster children are. Have I got too many to give them the attention they all deserve and need? Each one of them has issues, have I just bitten off more than I could chew?

I drank my tea and tried to focus on the face in the picture asking her to tell me where she was, and for my love to lead me to her. I felt myself falling into the photo, almost as if I was inside Julie. She was asleep or unconscious, like she’d been drinking or drugged. I tried to make her open her eyes so I could see where she was, but she was unresponsive–but I knew she was alive.

Now I had to find her before who ever had her discovered her shortcomings if they hadn’t already. I tried to send her love and healing light, but for some reason it didn’t get to her, or it did but I couldn’t follow it.

I grabbed a handful of biscuits and bottle of water, my handbag, my mobile and my coat and drove off. It was half past seven on a Friday morning and the rush hour traffic meant I couldn’t get the space to tune in to her. I drove off up on the ridge overlooking Portsmouth and parked the car. I locked myself in and started scanning the landscape before me, trying to get a hint of any direction where she could be.

An hour later and I had no sense of anything or anywhere. I switched on my phone and I had a text from Simon.

‘Where the hell R U? Si.’ I texted him back.

‘I’ll be back soon, tell the kids they can stay home if they want.’

He answered me a moment later: ‘2 late they’ve gon.’

I drove to Julie’s college and enquired about her attendance the previous day. She had apparently attended up to lunch time. The police had been there as well asking after her, she left during her lunch break and no one saw her since.

I asked if I could speak to her teachers or classmates but was refused. “The police have done all that, so we can’t allow you to disturb the class again.” I left with my tail between my legs and walked back to my car. Then I had a brainwave.

I stormed back into the college and found out which class Julie would have been in now. I knocked on the door and explained very quickly who I was.

“Look I understand you’re worried, but we’re running late–the police were here about Julie a little while ago.”

“If I can just borrow two minutes of your time and that of your class, then I’ll go.”

The teacher looked at me, “I don’t kn–go on, be quick or they’ll have my guts for garters.”

“Thanks.” I walked into the class. “Hi, I’m Cathy Cameron, Julie Kemp’s foster mum.” A buzz ran round the room. “I’m writing my mobile number on the board. If anyone has any info about Julie, please let me know. I’ll pay fifty pounds for anything that helps me find her, and if anyone helps me to catch the person or persons who have her–I fear she’s been abducted, I’ll pay them a thousand if we can get a conviction. There’s my number, write it down. Thank you.”

“Wow, that could get expensive,” said the teacher.

“My husband owns a bank.”

“You’re not one of those Camerons, I mean High Street Bank PLC Cameron?”

“Is there another?”

“I suppose not.” She blushed and looked a little sheepish.

“The reward includes teachers, or anyone you can think of who might be able to shed light on her disappearance. Oh, all calls will be in confidence.” I called the last bit to the class.

“I hope you find her, she’s not a bad kid.”

“She’s a lovely kid and I intend to.” I drove home hoping that I’d stirred up something which might help us, even if it pissed off the police. They have one kind of resource, I have another–or Simon does.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy should get…

…wee Trish on the job. Two clairvoyant? brains are better than one, surely.

That's three days Julie has been missing for us, making a very anxious time for all and all of us dangling from your cl****anger and unable to bite our fingernails without falling.

Love

Hilary

Probably the best idea

yet. Cathy and Trish are an awesome team.

Money (lots of it) is a great motivator. See if Cathy gets results.

Money does talk at times

Money does talk at times like these, and hopefully it will get someone to open up and sing like a canary. Whoever has Julie, had better hope it is because she is injured and not from them kidnapping her, or they just might find an arrow sticking in them. Jan

Very true

Jan about the arrow.....Only one thing is certain in all of this, And that is where her children are concerned..... Cathy does not take prisoners!!

Kirri

Bike pt 1170.

Could she have run away? Could the Russian Mafia have her? Could one of Cathy's enemies have her? What if she has gone off to have her plumbing sorted?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

When push comes to shove,

everybody resorts to their strengths to resolve any issues. It's the most rewarding way to expend effort.

Good story,

Still lovin' it.

Love and hugs.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

Growin' old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

If Julie survives...

...this latest event, let's hope she develops an understanding as to why Cathy and Simon have particular rules in place for her safety. Mind you, as others have observed, she is a teenager.

On the negative side, if anyone in Julie's class is involved in her disappearance, Cathy has just confirmed that her family is able to pay a substantial ransom.

Thanks A+B: nice to see the masterclass continuing.

Perpetual Student


Bike Resources

and we all

know how Cathy deals with extortion money and those causing the problem.

Just thought...

Julie attended college in the morning, then disappeared. However, her scooter was found on the road leading away from the farmhouse, and there were no 'residues' of Julie on or near it.

Is it just me, or does that sound suspiciously as though the scooter crash was staged post-abduction?

As to who abducted her, goodness knows. Bradley Kemp (her biological father) seemed to have mellowed the last time we saw him, but then again that was several months ago and his wife (Julie's biological mum) certainly didn't approve of her new gender. They've got form, in that they've already staged an abduction - but would they be stupid enough to try it again, especially as the police will probably already be knocking on their door?

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!