Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1168.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1168
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

At last the ironing came to an end and I took the clothing up to various bedrooms, thankfully Stella does her own, as does Jenny: Julie was supposed to be doing her own plus most of mine, and she seems to have forgotten that fact. I was tempted to leave hers for her to do, which she’d have to once she ran out of clean clothes, but that seemed simply provocative or confrontational. I left them draped on her bed so she’d have to hang them up herself and would hopefully notice I’d done them for her.

Simon can iron, but I’d prefer he spent time with the children when he’s here, which mostly he seems happy to do. I suppose I need to teach Danny, who’ll sweet talk one of the girls into doing it for him. His school shirts take a while to do as do the girl’s blouses–I’m so glad I sewed in name tapes or I’d never work out which was whose.

Back downstairs, I made some tea and while I drank it, I contemplated what was in the fridge that we could have for lunch. I suppose ice cubes are non-fattening, but not very tasty, look again. Tonight I was doing shepherd’s pie which explained the freshly killed shepherd in there, I had loads of tomatoes, so decided on a spaghetti Napoli and began its preparation–I checked for Parmesan and was relieved to see I still had some.

At one o’clock, it was all ready and I called Stella and Jenny to come for lunch, they did eventually, Jenny was yawning as she came into the kitchen and Stella looked less ashen faced than when I’d suggested the fry up.

Neither said they were very hungry but they devoured my tomato concoction with gusto–okay, there were some mushrooms and onion in it beside garlic and tomatoes and the pasta was wholegrain spaghetti.

“That was delicious, Cathy, I really landed on my feet when I arrived here, didn’t I?” Jenny smiled, disposing of the napkin she used to save spattering herself with tomato juice/sauce.

“I’m glad you think so,” I said smiling back at her.

“Huh,” said Stella and I knew a wind up was coming, “It’s all right for paid staff, whilst we unpaid slaves are expected to work for just the crumbs off the table.”

“I’ve worked for quite a few different families and households including some very wealthy and well connected ones, but none have made me as welcome as Cathy has–I’ll also bet the crumbs off the table are very nourishing,” Jenny defended me.

“The only one who gets fat off the crumbs is Kiki, and it’s interesting she usually sits by Stella because she drops the most. They say spaniels love babies and old people for that reason.”

Stella’s face was a picture and Jenny sniggered. “I’m not that much older than you, Missus,” declared Stella.
,
“Must be the mileage then,” I shot back and she looked daggers at me, Jenny was wriggling with laughter then rushed off to the cloakroom.

“She gone to be sick?” asked Stella.

“No, for a wee I think.”

“Huh,” huffed Stella and she drank her tea.

I went and got the girls, and on return began making the shepherd’s pie with minced lamb, probably from a sheep that died of old age in New Zealand. Why they can’t call it mutton? I don’t know, my mother used to make mutton stew which was lovely, although the meat was a bit sickly, it was so sweet. They don’t seem to offer it these days in supermarkets or the local butchers.

At six, the big tray of cottage pie was browning under the grill and I began to wonder where Julie was, she was usually home about six. At twenty past in strolled Simon and he seemed pleased with the prospect of a good old fashioned British meal. He’d missed lunch through a meeting overrunning and had made do with a cup of soup cadged from his secretary.

“What time are we eating?” he asked.

“I’m just waiting for Julie.”

“What again? You need to have words with that young woman.”

“I did, which might be why she’s not here yet.”

“God, Cathy, can’t you deal with a simple matter like that without complicating it?”

“Ah, that was why you delegated it–it was so simple.”

“Of course, women,” he sighed and went upstairs to change, “I’m going to have a quick shower.”

“Hurry up then, I’m dishing up in ten minutes, with or without Julie.”

“Great, I’ll have time to paint my nails as well.”

He missed my, “Grrrrrrrrr, men,” but Jenny didn’t and she snorted and nodded.

I did dish up and Simon was back down smelling of Paco Rabanne cologne and for a moment I was distracted from eating, however, we all tucked in except Julie, who was now an hour late.

On the pretext of putting the kettle on, I sent her a text asking her to let me know that she was safe. Half an hour later I’d had no response, I began to feel very uneasy. Simon came out to see where I was and I told him I was worried about Julie. He asked me if I wanted him to go and see if he could find her. I did but I wasn’t sure he’d be able to, she could have gone anywhere.

Jenny asked what the problem was when she saw us talking and me with a worried look. I explained the situation, and she told us to go and look for her, she’d put the kids to bed and she was sure Tom would read to them.

Simon and I slipped away and went off in my car towards the college, he was driving which would mean the next time I sat in the front, I wouldn’t be able to reach the pedals.

We drove out into the countryside for a mile, the way I would usually go to the college when I suddenly felt sick and made him stop the car. I chucked up my shepherd into a hedge. I couldn’t understand why, it was properly cooked and prepared–must be nerves worrying about Julie. I walked back down the road, the grass glistened with the recent rain in the headlights of cars. I continued walking back the way we’d come. Then I saw it, the pink scooter, it had gone through a hedge and down into a ditch. It was facing away from home–oh Jeez, it had been there since this morning. I ran back to the car and yelled at Simon to call the police. He ran back with me and two minutes later he was down at the scooter and the muddy water in which it was lying.

The rain started again and I felt like crying. “I can’t see her, get your torch from the car.” I ran back to the car and then back with the torch, the rain was pelting down, and I pulled out my waterproof from the boot and put it on. I held an umbrella as I stood on the roadside watching Simon poking about in the hedgerow and ditch.

I rang triple nine. “Hello, police please...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh S--t! Here we go again.

A Whole day in a cold wet ditch. Doesn't sound too good does it?

Ah well. Until tommorrow, (I hope it's good news.) we'll just have to fret and worry.

(And you're right about the lamb thing, why don't they call it mutton any more?)

Still Lovin' it.

Hugs.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Mutton

I can get mutton in the village, what's more it's from Welsh Hill Radnor sheep. A lady neighbour has a small flock of them with which she won the breed championship a few years back. A group of ancient Welsh sheep farmers had to come to do the judging—you have to have the Latin for the judgin’, according to the late Peter Cook—and were somewhat astonished that Sandra had such a fine, if small flock. They went away muttering in their beards about the flock not being in Wales, and bred by a woman, too, look you boyo.

If I have guests, I get a joint from her occasionally and do that classic British dish, boiled mutton and caper sauce. Melts in the mouth, so it does.

Actually, some butchers will sell you mutton, but they don't like to admit it's mutton. It seems that mutton got a bad name during WW2 because it was tough and fatty, so everything became lamb after that. Mrs Beaton—her of cookery book fame—reckoned that no sheep meat was fit to eat until it had been on the hoof for four years.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Your mention of a 'joint'

Your mention of a 'joint' reminded me of a story told by an English comedienne who was visiting her daughter in America. She wanted to do a proper English Sunday roast for her daughter so she went to a butcher's shop and asked for a joint. A normal thing to ask for in an English butcher's shop but, unfortunately, 'joint' has a different meaning over there. To make matters worse, she said she wanted to put it in the oven. Apparently, some people use ovens to dry their leaves out.

Once again; two nations divided by a common language.

What is it with...

What is it with you authors - recently. Leaving us with such horrible events. You certainly make us worry about miss Julie. Hope she's okay... Not only for Cathy's sanity/well being.

Quite interesting interaction between the three ladies back at the house.

Thanks,
Anne

Bike pt 1168.

Hope that ain't Julie's scooter.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Julie the cat

Let me explain: ever since she first appeared on the scene, Julie's had a habit of (usually unintentionally) finding herself in a life-threatening situation, only to be rescued by Cathy. These included the assault that led to Cathy's discovery of her, at least one suicide attempt, her father cutting her throat, an incident in a field, the gang down in the city centre, and now this. Let's hope the family's proverbial cat still has some lives remaining and Cathy manages to find her... alive!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

At This Point...

...I'd almost be happy to write off the character. No, don't look at me like that! I did say almost.

A tearful funeral, various lamentations and recriminations, a period of mourning, and then the family gets back on track, no doubt dealing with the next crisis.

But, I seriously doubt that Angharad has any intention of letting us off that easy. Chased by yobbos, cornered, kidnapped, her scooter thrown into the ditch, whatever the scenario, I fear we're in for one!

Which explains my cynical attitude towards people in general

as they inevitably only remember only what you have done for them lately. Julie if she were to think about it should be on her knees in gratitude to the powers that be to be in the position she's in, but no unlike the pod teenager that I was, carries on with the 'what did you do for me in the last 24 hours tradition' of human gratitude.

Kim

Obviously you don't know teenagers

It's what did you do for me in the last 15 minutes.

But in serousness - I truely hope Julie is ok. She's a pain but she has potential.

The odds of two pink scooters

being out there in the country around the same time have got to be few and far between. Bet she was run off the road and taken by one of the jerks that she tried to deal with when she ran away, or one of the jerks from the fight the other night. Hope she's okay. They have had all day to have their way with her and then shut her up.

Left hanging again...

Thanks A+B+I (pasta dish and shepherd's pie): you've delivered us another cliffhanger.

Even if the scooter is facing the wrong way, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's been like that since the morning. If it was there as the result of an accident, it could have become turned around during the event; if it ended up in the ditch due to some nefarious activity, it could have been thrown like that.

You've really only given us a wee bit of information. I guess we'll be back tomorrow to see what's really happened. I hope that as a result of this, Julie improves her attitude to the rest of the family.

Presumptive Suppositions


Bike Resources

As Easy as Falling off a Scooter

Hey, it worked for young Cathy why not Julie? Some nice teenage boy probably ran her off becasue he had bad wipers and she is recovering at his palatial home, no doubt nobility.

So is she there or is she not,

Tune in for the next exciting chapter.

Julie does seem to be pushing boundaries, and has a short memory to boot.