Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1272.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1272
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I did not want to wake up or worse still, open my aching eyes. I hadn’t taken my makeup off properly because Si was in such a rush to get to bed–and yes it was a good night–I was still sore and my eyelashes were all stuck together where the mascara had clogged up. My own fault, but that didn’t make it any less nuisance.

Trish and Livvie were poking me and asking me to wake up–how I didn’t blast them verbally or physically, shows how inhibited I am. Why couldn’t they annoy Simon?

“Mummy, Mummmmmmeeeee, can we order breakfast?”

Order breakfast? Just wait and I’ll get up and come down and get it. What are they on about? I prised open my one eye and remembered we weren’t at home, we were in the hotel. I poked Simon none too gently.

“Ow, Cathy, why have you got such sharp elbows?”

“All the better to poke you with.”

“I thought that only applied to eyes and teeth?”

“It was next on the list, but wolf elbows are fairly insignificant compared to women’s.”

“I can believe it.”

“I could of course just bite your leg off, like a wolf would.”

“No thanks.”

“Let me know if you change your mind.”

“I will. Can I go back to sleep now?”

“No, the children have ordered you sushi from the room service menu.”

“Thanks, I’ll have it lat... They what?” He sat bolt upright, “I can’t stand raw fish, unless it’s salmon and has been smoked very carefully over oak chips.”

“The original fish and chips, eh?”

“Quite. Now which of you two ordered me raw fish?” He accused the two girls.

“We didn’t, but we’d like some breakfast, Daddy.”

“That’s your mother’s job---wife,” he poked me, “see to it.”

I staggered out of bed and into the bathroom, where after relieving myself and washing my hands, I managed to unclog my eyelashes and see what was going on about me. Two waifs, still in their pyjamas stood waiting expectantly. “What time is it?”

“Eight o’clock,” said Trish looking at her watch. Livvie grabbed her wrist and examined the watch and nodded. It was half term, and I suppose they had given me an hour’s lie in. I gave each of them a cold wet flannel and told them to go and wash their father. They ran off giggling. I jumped in the shower and locked the bathroom door.

Simon had calmed down by the time I’d finished showering and drying my hair. He’d also ordered breakfast for all the kids plus a full English for himself and a poached egg and toast for me, with lashings of tea.

We departed the hotel at nearly ten when I remembered I had a funeral to attend with Danny. He was in Jenny’s car as we drove home so I asked Trish to call him on his mobile and remind him. He hadn’t forgotten–not completely.

I left Jenny and Stella to organise lunch–Simon had to go to work–Stella showed up just before Danny and I left. Danny wore his school blazer over his new shirt and trousers and looked quite smart. I wore the YSL suit with a white blouse and blue court shoes. I was reminded that I had agreed to say something at the funeral though I hadn’t had time to write anything down–oops, this was going to be an improvisation. Just as well I’d had some practice with a few hundred students.

We drove to the crematorium and parked, it was quarter to twelve. If I’d had some paper I could have thought about something to say and written it down, but it was too late and I’d have to do what I could as I could.

We entered the crematorium and were met by Julian Sangster, “Lady Cameron, how nice to see you again and looking very elegant as always and this is?”

“This is my son, Danny, who actually attended the school where Mr Whitehead taught.”

“So you knew him, then?”

“Yes, sir,” said Danny, shyly.

“And you’re still happy to say something?” Sangster asked me.

“Yes, but only for a couple of minutes.”

“Great–ah, here’s our funeral director, Mr Grace and the master of ceremonies, Mr Baxter.” He introduced me to both as next of kin which I suppose I was technically, but only because the deceased had said so.

“Have you known him long?” asked Mr Baxter who was a humanist funeral organiser.

“He taught me English in the third form.”

“What down here?”

“No, in Bristol.”

“Oh, I thought he taught at a boy’s school.”

“I was the only girl there.”

His eyes widened, “Oh, you learn something new every day.” He looked at his folder, “I’ll do the intros and so on and keep it all to time, we have an ex colleague to say something about him as a teacher, perhaps you can say something about him on a personal level? Max time I can give you is about four minutes–that okay?”

“Fine.” When I was in school we had to do off the cuff talks on a subject of the teacher’s whim–like boiling an egg or polishing shoes. It wasn’t Whitehead in that class, sadly, it was one of the other English teachers who didn’t like me. I was told to talk for five minutes on doing a manicure on myself. As I’d done this for the Lady Macbeth period, I stood there and told them. I got barracked by some whilst others actually gave me positive feedback, saying I had more guts than they did. So I had some experience of dealing with awkward moments.

The celebration, not service, as out MC pointed out, went well–at least I thought so, the colleague was the Headmaster of Danny’s school and he spoke well saying what an excellent and dedicated teacher Whitehead was and how his sacrifice at the school was typical of him.

The celebrant then spoke about death and read some poetry and then something from another text before calling on me. “Our next speaker is Lady Catherine Cameron, who is a former pupil of Alexander Whitehead. Lady Cameron.”

I was acutely aware of my clip clopping as I walked to the front of the crowd. The place was absolutely packed. Okay, here goes.

“As Mr Baxter said, I’m a former pupil of Mr Whitehead’s but I’m not going to speak about that, save to say he was an honest and courageous man who did what he thought was right even when he was very much on his own against corrupt systems.

“I was there when he was stabbed.” There was a gasp from the congregation. “We’d had a very frank and honest discussion about a misunderstanding that had occurred earlier in the day. We cleared it up and were walking to our cars when we were confronted by the two thugs who killed him.

“He pushed me away and told me to run, he knew they were up to no good and tried to delay them to let me get away. One of them subsequently stabbed him, the other who came after me, I managed to disable with a lucky blow.

“He was man of principle who was prepared to put his life on the line to defend his beliefs. I saw him do this time and time again, standing up for the underdog when it wasn’t really in his interests to do so. He is someone for whom I have enormous personal respect, and whose life was cut short standing up to the violence and bullying against which he’d campaigned all his life.

“Although the case against the perpetrators is pretty conclusive, it seems wrong that a great man’s life is ended by someone who wasn’t fit to polish his shoes. But then that is perhaps the irony of life, our existence is ultimately futile, but during it, those of us who are so minded, try to do some good before we journey to oblivion. Alexander Whitehead,” I said facing the coffin, “thank you for the good you did while you were able, I shall try to follow your example and exhort everyone here to do the same. Thank you.”

I walked back to my seat and put my arm round Danny. “That was great, Mummy,” he said, tears running down his face.

The committal took place and after the coffin disappeared behind the curtain, we were led out through the side door, where people walked past and shook hands with Mr Baxter the funeral director and me–why me?

People formed groups and chatted, many obviously knew each other. The Headmaster came and spoke to me and thanked me for my bit and I did the same to him. Then someone approached me from behind.

“Ah, Watts, I thought it was you–still in skirts then?” I looked into the ice cold eyes and felt sick.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, another blast from the

Ah, another blast from the past, and this one is starting off on a wrong foot. Kick him again Cathy, if he needs it.

CaroL

CaroL

I Agree, but..,

i do think it is a pity that a poor fish species should have its name misappropriated for describing nasty bigotted and clumsy incompetent people. What did Pillock ever do to you, or any of us, to deserve this? :)

Briar

Briar

Fish?

Angharad's picture

Chips maybe - according to Chamber's Dictionary, pillock is derived from pillicock which is a Shakespearean slang term for the penis.

The fish I think you might have meant is a pollack or pollock - and very nice too, had some for tea last night.

Angharad

Angharad

C’mon, Cathy...

...get yer dander up. Don’t be the victim, again—it’s time to break the cycle and let ol’ Aubrey Murray have it with both barrels.

Thanks A+B: Cathy has spoken at a number of funerals during the course of this saga, and each time I can’t help but be impressed at the words you come up with which are inevitably apposite.

Panegyrical Strikes


Bike Resources

I also want to say...

...that while the end of this Bikesode dominated my thoughts as I made the previous comment, the first part contained some genuinely funny stuff that had me laughing aloud as I read. I did so enjoy the sushi and wet flannel incidents.

Positively Slapstick


Bike Resources

You're slipping...

You forgot to credit Izzy for the sushi scene - or the breakfast that followed! :)

-oOo-

Anyway, onto the episode itself - once Cathy had woken up, that was a brilliant duo of tactics to wake up Simon - first the sushi fib, then the wet flannels :)
Everyone gets home safely - so they have (at last!) broken the curse of the hotel - and the funeral service goes without a hitch.

Now what's the betting we'll have an instantaneous medical diagnosis in tomorrow's episode - something along the lines of advising he see a GP asap if he doesn't want to be the next recipient of a wooden box. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a deep-seated psychological issue which influenced his attitude towards her past and present.

A physical attack is going to be very unlikely given there are crowds around, but let's hope Cathy maintains her resolve against him and doesn't fall into her usual trap of taking insults literally. Let's face it, the slimeball is going to be intensely jealous of her, since she's come a long way since Lady Macbeth (BSc, MSc, started a PhD, TV appearances... not to mention marrying a very eligible batchelor!) while his life has probably gone downhill.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

nice misdirect

kristina l s's picture

There we are...a former colleague.. Dunh Dunh DUHHHHH.... nope. Nice little improv speech and then...cliffhangery thingie.

So Cathy, straighten up and fly right, you can do it. Swift kick and watch his expression change. But if she is mesmered Danny could step in. Of course maybe old Mr Whatsit has changed....nahhhh.

Kris

It always seems

like these idiots turn up at the most inconvenient times. This one sounds like a real winner. I'm looking forward to seeing just how Cathy shreds him. I have trouble seeing her overlooking that sort of opening line...

Valentines_face_crop.jpg

Battery.jpg

You're better than them

Cathy. Don't let other's stupidity get to you. And please stop Danny from decking the fool on your behalf.

And I agree, the speech was great. Cathy really has a way with words. (or I guess it's A&B who have it and show it through our heroine)

Again?!

Another pompous bigotry ass from the past? There's loads of them mind, so you can rehash this for some time. It'd be nice to see Cathy blast him into oblivion and shrivel his ego to the size of a needle's point too small even for one angel to dance on. He deserves no less.

Maybe she can goad him into a brain aneurysm, where he loses his ability for coherent speech but enough of a brain function to fester in futile frustration ? *How do you like them f-es :) * Yes, I'm feeling a little vindictive today.

Then again, it sometimes makes me soooo incensed and boiling with anger realising the number of short-sighted self-righteous gender-zealots at times, I feel some venting is absolutely admissible. Certainly after being left on the cliffs' edge hanging by my blistering fingertips.

Still wonderful writing Ang, although you toned down the heroics quite some. *Grin* Reading your comment on the Amsterdam prose I couldn't help but chuckle some.. Thanks though, I really look out for your daily piece, it's something to wait up for. Now I can go to rest some.

Jo-Anne

- Oh, what's that: A CAPTCHA ?? omg. Don't you guys trust me no more? Geez -
-- I'm kidding.. I do understand, these spam-bots are a growing nuisance --

The Mint…

…still sucks, it seems. I'm sure Lady C will find a suitable put-down to deal with him. Pay-back time for his long overdue overdraft.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1272.

Lady Catherine Cameron gave a eulogy for the second an to have adopted her. Alexander Whitehead truly was an exceptional teacher, whereas that Murray deserves to be given her Royal A$$kicking Treatment with Danny cheering.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What?

Another dumbass?

Wren

And that is what takes the heart out of us.

The exposure that we always fear in the back of our minds; always seeming to come at the worst moments; catching us at our weakest. Too bad that her blue light does not include lightning bolts.

Khadijah

Somehow...

Somehow, I don't think THIS blast from the past will turn out to have been trying to help Charlie... Wonder if/how he'll get "woken" up.

Danny was a good boy - today... And, quite right to cry at such an occasion. Nice he's not been corrupted by the "manly" bit so he thinks it's wrong to cry.

Wonder where you'll take things next.

Thanks,
Anne

Go for it Cathy!

As is bent the twig, so grows the tree. (Old Chinese proverb.)

Give us the child, you can have the man. (Old jesuit saying.)

Both sayings reveal that bigots are tempered by their childhoods. Their ethic is cast within them by their parents, their mentors and their childhoods.

Such bigots rarely change unless they are extraordinarily perspicacious and/or telespiscacious. Sometimes, if they are exposed to serious, life-threatening circumstances from which they know fully that they have been lucky to escape or survive, it might change their perspectives. Sadly however few meet with such epiphanies.

By far the most effective device to to tackle such bigotry is to educate the children in tolerance and equanimity.
The greatest tragedy is that many of these opinionated bigots often find their way into educating children where they not only perpetuate their bigotry but also compound it.

I am sure that Lady Cameron, (Not Cathy,) will use her marital status here to blast this newfound bigot out of the water.

I suspect it is her old headmaster for bigots often saught power to purvey their intolerance.

Go for it Lady cameron, teach the creature a lesson but please let him live to regret his life of evil.

Still lovin' it.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

The Best Defense

I am sick to death of Cathy being so insecure, fragile, and defensive when faced with toadish tormentors. It's time for a self-affirming change of attitude.

The best defense is a good offense, and best delivered with a smile. And, by offense, I do not mean violence. The toad should be cut down, no... obliterated entirely, with a jovial, but cleverly barbed riposte.

Remember, they're in company, surrounded by mourners/celebrants, many from the school. In a loud, clear voice, I'd like to hear her say, "Aubrey, you filthy old darling! How are you, my dear? Such fun we had when I was in your school, you chasing my tush, and me playing coy! Are you still up to your old tricks; they're not onto you yet? Have you graduated to the Third Form yet, or do you still have a thing for those vulnerable children in the First Form? And you, at your age! Tsk-tsk! Good to see you again. Not! Well, must run. Ta."

And, she just walks away smiling. Bear in mind who has the power and public respect in this situation, and it's not the toad. If he doesn't have a heart attack on the spot, or go off raving like a madman and get himself committed, he's at least "gonna have some 'splainin' to do!*" Whatever he says, however he reacts, no good will accrue to him.

The man is definitely a creep, and by his obsessing about Charlie, I suspect him of being a pedophile, one who has possibly already acted on it. I'd love to see him brought down before he does any more damage.

___________________
* - Reference to a line oft-delivered on the vintage sitcom, "I Love Lucy," by the character, Ricky Ricardo.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I so trust Angharad ....

... to get this slug properly squished via Cathy. Eventually.

Thanks again for a great episode.

Global_warming_proof.jpg

According to your chart

Angharad's picture

I appear stuck in the 1980s.

Oh knickers!

Angharad

Angharad

Since Cathy just finished a

Since Cathy just finished a very nice eulogy for Mr. Whitehead, perhaps she is in a state of mind where she will take this "person" down a few notches plus perfect a cold stare of her own right back at the "person". I use person in quotes, because I feel it is her old headmaster who just spoke to her; and he is not worthy of being called a human being based on how he treated her and probably many of the boys at the school.

I Hope Cathy Opens Up On Murray With Both Barrels

jengrl's picture

I hope Cathy opens up on Murray with both barrels. It has been a long time coming and he deserves everything he gets. Cathy has come too far to let a useless piece of garbage like that to intimidate her. I think he is about to get a huge surprise, because Cathy is no longer the scared little girl in the school. She has now outclasses him in more ways than one. She has her title as a Lady and has gone further academically than he ever did. If he knew what was good for him, he would turn around and run the other way. I'm looking forward to seeing him go down in flames for his reprehensible treatment of Cathy.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

former HeadMaster

Well, we all knew He would of shown up for this funeral. He been working with Mr. Whitehead long B4 Cathy's time in School and prob. afterwards. It'd been more shocking if he hadn't

Looks like she gets to confront

her fears after all. I suspect this dork is not prepared for the elegant polished young lady he has just insulted. One who is clearly his intellectual superior many times over.

Oh, no !

Another one ? Just how much punishment does Cathy need.

Karen