Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1388

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1388
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I saw Gareth off, he was going home to start packing stuff that he’d need to bring here if he was staying with Stella–just what I needed, a couple more mouths to feed. As soon as he’d gone I went to bed so by the time Simon came up I was fast asleep.

At breakfast he muttered something about conjugals and I found I’d gone deaf–didn’t hear a word of it, funny that. He went off in a huff to work while the kids hid from him–they all appeared to breakfast as soon as he’d gone. They do this sometimes when one of us is in a grumpy mood–I’d prefer they challenged me–Julie does sometimes and so does Danny, the younger ones avoid me and grumble.

Gareth had promised to let me know when Stella and he would be moving in, but I anticipated anytime in the next few days. I went shopping after dropping the kids off and filled the fridge and freezer just in case. If the family continued to grow at this rate, I think we’d just as well sell all the cars and buy a double-decker bus.

Back at the ranch, once the shopping was put away Jenny kept an eye on the little ones while I made up a bed in the new wing, for our new parents–well Gareth was new to it, you could tell by the fact his eyes weren’t bloodshot yet. You know there’s twenty four hours in a day when the baby keeps you awake for all of them.

I also wondered who Puddin’ thought was her mum, Stella, Jenny or me. She called me, Anny-Affy, Jenny was Ennie, and her mum was–absent. I kept showing her a photo of Stella but perhaps she was too young to take it on board. A chance for Stella to build some bridges and some mother-daughter bonding. If Puddin’ loses out to baby Fiona, I shall give Stella a piece of my mind. I don’t think Pud is losing out on much in terms of love and affection, we all give her loads, even the younger girls–Meems loves her–she’s like a large size dress up doll.

I got the bedroom ready, then we had lunch–while that was digesting, I fed baby Kate and Puddin’ watched me licking her lips–at two she would still be breast fed by some mothers. My baby went off to sleep and as I felt there was still some milk there, I gave Pud a little suck–she clung on to me like a limpet and fell asleep at my breast.

Jenny came back from loading the dishwasher and smirked at me, bra undone, with child’s head under my jumper. “She’s either hiding, sleeping or been having a crafty slurp.”

“If you make some tea, I’ll tell you which.” I sat there while Jenny provided some fluid to replace my recent depletion. I felt myself chuckling, I’ve told you what Pud calls me, well she calls Simon, Daddy–because everyone else under twenty does. It used to drive him crazy and we had some real arguments over it because he thought I was setting him up, but I wasn’t, she refused to call him Uncle Si, and persisted with Daddy. He doesn’t say anything now–she won–but babies do unless you assert yourself physically–and that’s illegal. Sometimes I think the law was drawn up by babies–I mean, fancy it being illegal to send ‘em up chimneys or down the mines, or even to the workhouse–all Charles Dickens’ fault, him and Charles Kingsley, and Lord Shaftesbury–they’ll abolish slavery next.

I woke Puddin’ up and she sleepily walked over to the sofa in the dining room and curled up going back to sleep. She isn’t a lot of bother really, so does it matter who she calls mummy? It might later on when she’s trying to act like a grown up and needs to be told a few of the facts of life–although some of it she’ll learn by osmosis, like we all do.

I got on with producing a dinner for everyone–a pasta bake with chicken and a side salad. It would keep hot for late-comers but be ready for the kids to eat before Julie and I went off to the play.

And so it came to pass, at the eighteenth hour of the day, with stomachs modestly replete, Julie and I set forth to perform the Scottish play and entertain the masses–hopefully at the same time, or simultaneously, whichever comes first.

I did my makeup while my personal assistant cum hairdresser, added to my tresses. This was one part of the acting game I hated--the greasepaint–that Leichner moment.

The play itself went quite well, though there were one or two fluffed lines, except no one but an expert would have noticed–let’s face it, unless you know the entire play by heart, you’re not going to miss the odd line which has either been fluffed or forgotten–unless it throws the actor delivering the next one and who waits in vain for his cue. Iain was word perfect, but some of the so called pros did a few fluffs tonight.

The sixth form girls were also word perfect–as for me–yeah I was too–I think. Gordon kissed me at the end and told me that the sleepwalking scene was even better tonight. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or a bad thing–if I get too confident I could mess it up–so I chose to ignore him, except I couldn’t–his compliment had got through and I was bemused and embarrassed at the same time.

“Guid ‘un again tonicht,” said Iain putting his arm around me and pecking me on the cheek–“you know, I’ve worked with loads worse leading ladies who called themselves pros. Was never sure if it meant professional or referred to their alternative occupation when things were slack.”

I sniggered, let’s face it, actresses were often seen as fulfilling both rolls during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries–and still are by some folk.

I returned to the ladies changing room and was taking the gloop off my face–as soon as I could get the blowlamp working–when there was a knock at the door. One of the youngsters who was already decent, went to answer it.

“It’s for you, Cathy,” she said smirking.

“Oh, okay–thanks.” I wiped off the makeup and then rubbed my face over with a wet wipe and a tissue. Julie had detached my extensions and I combed my hair into a ponytail and shoved on a black scrunchie.

I got up from the stool I’d been sitting on and went to the door, I had the shock of my life–Gareth and Stella were standing there and she shoved a huge bouquet into my hands. “That was bloody brilliant,” suggested Gareth.

“Aye, it were okay like,” said Stella in a broad Yorkshire accent–I knew watching Emmerdale could be life changing.

“Aye, ’appen,” I replied.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Aye

'ad to get up before we went to bed and lick t'road clean wi'us tongues

What a performance!

Looks as though the début went well - not to mention the surprise members of the audience! I wonder if they'd dropped Fiona off at home first or if they're getting her hooked on culture early :)

Tomorrow morning's going to be fun - it might be worth waking the children up half an hour early so they can welcome Stella back plus ooh and ahh over Fiona without rushing too much or being late for school.

Meanwhile, I'm placing a ten simolean bet that by the end of the week, there'll be another video of Cathy on YouTube - this time of her acting skills as opposed to her providing a handy dormouse bolt-hole skills :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

*snarkle*!

... on the Dormouse bolt hole thingy. Thankfully I was not drinking anything at the time else my computer would be wet all over!

Thanks Ang. I was surprised by Stella being there also considering she suffers from post-partum so much I am surprised she is out and about without doctor's approval.

I sincerely hope that Cathy does not wind up being that proverbial woman who lived in a shoe!

Oh and Simon's grumbling about not getting his ashes hauled is getting old. His wife is exhausting herself taking care of a huge family plus a play ( which is a temporary thing ) and he is complaining he is not getting a f**k? *sigh*

Kim

Simon

He's evidently one of those blokes who participated in the research that claimed that men think about using their built-in hosepipe every three seconds.
(Hope you haven't sprayed your keyboard with a beverage that's sticky when dry...)

Mercifully, that's not true of all men. I'm a geek, therefore I think of computer-related stuff every three seconds :)
And no, I don't mean images of scantily clad females. Stuff such as ideas for new reports I can run off the helpdesk database at work to provide an insight into why this year's busier than any previous year; or ideas for plot elements for a story I may eventually get around to completing at some point in the next millenium; or speculating on plot developments of some of the oodles of stories I've read here; or contemplating which direction to expand my city in next (I've recently started playing SimCity 4 again.) You get the idea...

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you Angharad,

ALISON

'what a lovely touch that was to bring Stella back like you did,quite brilliant------as usual!

ALISON

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1388

Glad that Stella saw the play.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I"m not gonna

miss the obvious. I loved the line about the new family car. I"ve felt that way once or twice. And you would think kids would be ideal for sending up chimneys. They are small, and love to climb and get into stuff.

Chimneys are not what they used to be!

Greetings

I don't think there is so much call these days for children to go climbing up chimneys. At least around the housing estate where I live there are no chimneys at all!

We'll just have to find some other way of making them work!

Thank you to Ang and the feline support team for more of the saga.

Brian

Stella...

S**t, she scares me. Being borderline crazy for reasons which should be obvious here, real crazies really, really scare me.

That was bloody brilliant!

The way you ended things, that is. After you piled on the compliments (condiments? LOL), I was wondering how you were going to end the episode. I never expected Garth & Stella (or the Spanish Inquisition. Luckily it wasn't them!).

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood tonight. Don't take it wrong. I really enjoyed the episode.

Thanks,
Anne

Seeing Gareth and Stella

can't help but wonder where Fiona is. Glad to see Stella up and about but always worried about her. Put away the knives, fireplace pokers, etc. please... or at least keep her on her drugs.

Figure it will be the professional venue that puts Cathy over the top for being a stage actress. Not that I follow the "royals" but would be cool if one or more of the princes came. Imagine Julie's reaction to a back stage visit.

Sim City IV mentioned

I dont get into game playing much, but that's one I do enjoy. tho, of all of the ones, I still have the origional DOS version origional which I still an old computer around just to play it.
.
As far as Stells's new baby Goes, I suspect it's at the house, being well watched by the Jenny and the girls. And I suspect that Stella being at the play was Garaith's idea, for a welcome time out from where Stella's been the past few weeks. I suspect Stella herself would of asked to go no matter what just to see her SIS do the play.
.
Well back to reading some more.

Cool!

Stella's back, and got to see wot Cathy's been up to.