Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1355

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1355
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

My afternoon was spent roasting a leg of pork with all the trimmings–well I didn’t do it personally–I think the blue light would be somewhat pushed to do that–besides which, it could be embarrassing if it got up and ran away squealing when Tom was trying to carve it.

I did a nice variety of vegetables, carrots, mushrooms, roast potatoes, broccoli and some roast tomatoes–I love them, except they can get very hot and burn your mouth.

By the time Henry arrived, the pork skin was forming a lovely crackling–for those who don’t know this calorie laden delight–crackling is the skin of pork cooked until it becomes crunchy-chewy. It’s quite sweet tasting which should warn you there’s a bit of fat in it and it probably furs up your arteries all the way to your eyeballs–but it’s still delicious.

Simon opened a couple of bottles of rose for a change–and I decided I’d have a glass with my dinner. I was busy in the kitchen about to dish up when Monica walzed in and pinched me on the bum. I thought it was Simon or one of the kids and about to shout at them realised my mistake. I blushed and she roared–“Gotcha,” she said loudly. I said nothing because I’d probably do little for my supposed reputation as a lady.

She helped me carry through the food to the dining room, where Tom carved and Si poured wine. It was a pretty good meal, I have to say and we had to wait half an hour for dessert, not because it wasn’t ready–I made an apple pie with cream–but no one had any room to eat it for half an hour–we were, to a man–stuffed–actually to a woman and kid too.

The pie served as a light supper an hour later, giving Simon and Henry, assisted by Tom a chance to plot revenge on the plod–sounds a like an old B-horror movie — Lady Cameron and the Revenge of the Plod.

Next thing I know, the doorbell is ringing and Tom is admitting Jason–just as well I didn’t want any pie–he ate my piece. It struck me as amusing that I was the target of the police mendacity and they were in cabal not exactly excluding me but nor were they inviting me to join. Oh well, revenge must be a boy thing. I hoped that the police would now bugger off and leave me in peace–or I really do point Trish in the right direction and say, EXTERMINATE. She’d probably find some secret satellite with laser weapons on it and...

Danny went up to his room to watch some football on his laptop, Trish and Livvie were playing chess–Livvie, isn’t as good as Trish, but she holds her own by doing things Trish wasn’t expecting. It doesn’t always work but Trish hates losing so much that one win against her ten, really gets her going. I think I need to have a word with her quite soon–may ask Stephanie for some advice.

I played snakes and ladders with Billie and Meems and lost. Twice I got to ninety eight and hit the snake that takes you back to about twenty something. Grrr was I cross.

When I’d lost, I was able to make teas or coffees–Jenny looked after the two littlies and Puddin’ managed to force down about a hundredweight of pureed roast pork dinner–with apple sauce. She looked as if she enjoyed it–going to poo about ten minutes later.

It was taking in the teas and coffees to the war cabinet–yes, I know, very stereotyped–me tea girl, them powerful men–hah, very funny. They were actually finishing the wine and telling dirty jokes.

“So, how are we going to deal with this wayward plod then?” I asked.

“We’re still working on that, my dear,” said Henry leading for the defence.

“So I see–well, much as I appreciate your efforts, I’m off duty as tea girl from now–so if you want anything else, you’ll have to ask Simon to get it–he does know where the kitchen is.”

“Where’s Julie, babes?” Simon asked me.

“She went out before dinner–she has a date.”

“Is that wise–I mean, she’s not quite as perfect as you yet, is she?”

“You’ll have to ask her that–she’s seventeen–so above the age of consent.”

“She’s hardly going to do anything in a Smart car is she?”

“Don’t underrate her or her physical flexibility–she does do a yoga class.” She doesn’t but he didn’t know that and he went a lovely shade of pink–actually I think I might like my hall carpet that colour when we change it.

I watched Dr Who on the internet with Danny, who’d come down for a cuddle sat with me–the girls had created some board game and were noisily playing it in the sitting room, the boys were in the dining room and we were in my study–Danny and I that is, cuddled up together on the leather sofa–yeah, it’s new–Simon bought it for me as an Easter prezzie.

After it finished–the Dr Who programme, I asked Danny how he felt now.

“I’m okay now thanks, Mum–I do appreciate you, you know.” He put his arm round me and hugged me then pecked me on the cheek.

“Thank you, son,” I said and hugged and kissed him back.

“Some of my mates think it’s awesome that my mother is starring in a play with a Hollywood film star. They all want tickets–when can we get them, Mum?”

I winced–at his age I’d have been horrified if my mother had been doing such a thing–I probably still would–am I an embarrassment to my kids? I tested the water.

“You don’t think it’s embarrassing for you for me to be doing this?”

“Eh? Can you run that past me again?”

“You don’t find it embarrassing that I’m doing this play?”

“No way–it’s ace. When you did the Dormouse film, half the kids in the sixth form asked if you were married.”

Now I was embarrassed–sixth form totty–whatever next?

“D’you wanna cuppa?” asked Danny.

“Ooh, that would be nice–I’ll have to chase the girls up to bed and feed Catherine. I could feel some milk oozing into my bra pads.

So, I got the girls to bed, drank my tea–it always tastes nicer when someone else makes it–fed the baby and changed her and put her down for the night and was on the verge of sending Danny up to bed when Julie came home–in high dudgeon.

“Wassamatta, Sis?” asked Danny from the foot of the stairs.

“Sodding plod–they reckon I was speeding–I wasn’t, I was at least five miles an hour under the limit–it’s a set up because you beat them at their own game earlier–now they’re going to persecute me.”

Simon came out to see what all the fuss was about and looked very determined. “A dish best taken cold,” was all he said but it gave me the shivers all the same.

“Any dinner left, Mummy, I’m starvin’?”

“I saved you one, but I’d have thought it was a bit late to eat now.”

“Watch me,” she said taking the plated meal from the fridge and shoved it in the microwave.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Suppose

I suppose wars have their own casualties and now it looks like a war of attrition. To many skirmishes

I don't think a war of attrition.

Simon and Henry can pull out too many big guns. But I hope this does not make Danny do something stupid.

a new fan

Having just caught up on Bike from the beginning (I think I got Carpal tunnel reading it :p ), I can say I found it very enjoyable and well written. How you manage to put out quality content daily is beyond me. Why the local police don't have a huge note on Cathy's file saying "f--- with at your own risk!" suggests to me that someone up the chain is using her to filter out the morons.

Thank you Angha,

ALISON

'the boys can now add harassment to the list.Nobody loves a smart ass copper.

ALISON

As helpful to the police as she's been,

You'd think that they'd just give them a break. Well, in some modern cars, the computer logs the speed and location. I wonder what it would tell?

Gwen

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1355

Wonder if it was that plod, or one of his mates who went after Julie?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The family Cameron is

The family Cameron is rallying about the cause. Beware Plod, beware!!

Carolynn

CaroL

Lots of Dr references today

So, does Cathy have any Dalek in her? Next she is watching the Doctor later, probably not a Dalek episode though. Yes, many of us Yanks know quite a bit about the Doctor (I would love to have a sonic screwdriver...)

You know, by now I would think that the Home Office would have put out some sort of memorandum to the Portsmouth Plod to stay very far away from Lady Catherine Cameron by now if you value your pension plan. I think I am kind of happy I only have to deal with Local Yokals (town and city police department,) Smokey Bears (State Police,) and the FBI.

I wonder

If it was the same pair of tw ts who came around earlier. I doubt if the whole of Hampshire police is on her case.

Mmmmm. Pork crackling! I prefer mine not totally crispy but ever so slightly chewy. Chac'omme son goute! (Yeah my french is crap!)

Revenge is a dish best served cold, (was it Machiavellie who said that?)

Still a cracking saga Angie and I'm still lovin' it.
Hugs.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Caught up....

Getting caught up is nice... Not so nice falling so many days behind. So much has happened.

I don't know how adults can do such things to kids. :-( I can almost see "abandoning" a kid - if you know the kid can't survive with you and has a chance elsewhere... But, *sighs* I love my kids so much, I dunno. Doesn't sound like Danny's mum cared much one way or the other about her offspring. :-(

The Plod. *sighs* You'd think the word would get around... But, noooo. This Plod's got granite 'tween his ears. And, the young lady (good cop/bad cop perhaps???) I dunno about her.

Thanks for all these glimpses into the family life.

Anne

A person's past

Just thinking over the past couple of Bikesodes, concerning Danny and his past: we really don't know a lot about Cathy and Simon's collection of waifs and strays, and some of the grim experiences they've had in their previous situations. Who knows what's going to emerge in the future, and what effect their experiences are going to have?

Thanks, A+B+I (Roast Pork with all the trimmings): You really have created some complex characters, and I think that's both a good thing, and a tribute to your collective skills as authors. It certainly adds colour to the story and provides an added dimension to some of the tension you're able to add.

Post-traumatic Stress


Bike Resources

guess i've been around too many seedy places in my time

or, know folks from the darker side of inner city ghetto and heck even in certain situations of my marine life, where I didnt step foward because of informal code. aka the snitch or worse. i'll admit to a time or two, but not specifics even now 25 yrs later. but I never got/understood revenge for revenge's sake and believe me, I've more than alot of proof in many things that's ocurred specialy in my childhood to seeketh such and possibly not even be criminally liable even at this late date in life. I guess I took the 'judgement day' teachings too litterly to heart and it's mind-wiped me into comformity. oh well.
I do think tho, this is gonna get out of hand & bite someone in butt. even with HI-powered players in the game. looks @ this storyline to see this possibility. What if the Camerons got into serious trouble and police decided they were too much pain in the ass and decided to do nothing or least be lackadaisical about responding. I'm sure a lawsuit might cause the current problem to get fixed, but what about the next, or the next?
The lady detective i'm guessing here is doing the only thing she can do, play the game or leave....with only two yrs on job, she's up against long term vets, and it's not too enviable being the new kid on block and knowing every time yer out on duty yer back may not be covered, or someone pushing her to a deskjob...to a police officer that's almost a death sentence.

I'm not a tree-hugger nor a lover of all police, but I can say this ... getting blacklisted by any group because of ignorance, stupidity, or simply you complained to a higher authority is not a good thing either.
piss off some plumber sometime and see if you get help quicky or reasonable help next time ya need it ... I did that once ... I've had to use plumbers from long distance a couple times because I complained & won a justified case against one for really shitty workmanship.
.
.
why do i keep doing this ? in comment section knowing that a good portion will rarely be paid attn too or best case, listened to, but nothing can reverse time/ create hindsight for those things about to happen
smiles ....
.
.
thanks ANG and others for lettin me rant ... maybe it's a good thing i'm still a month behind most of those following this story and thoe following me prob. by now , will look & see housemouse & just scroll by knowing i'm in rant mode once again........Teeheehee

back to reading :-)

Uh Oh,

Making it personal, are they? Cammeron's have brains and money, and know how to use both. It really isn't a fair fight.