Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1262.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1262
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It took me several days to deal with the murder of Mr Whitehead. Danny was upset too. Following Trish’s example he’d filmed the assault on me and the teacher on his phone, including the important fatal blow with the knife. They told me that he was old enough to prosecute for driving the car at one of the attackers, but that would be up to a senior officer to decide.

The man who was hit by the car was the father of the boy who’d assaulted Danny, and the man I’d laid out was his brother in law. They were charging the one with murder and the other with assault and complicity to murder, or something like that.

About a week later, I had a visit from a Chief Superintendent in full uniform, with a suit from the CPS. The suit, from the prosecution service, said that upon reflection it would serve little purpose to prosecute the boy even though he had driven the car at my assailant with intent, his intent was to protect me from a man with a knife who’d already stabbed one person and seemed intent on stabbing me. He talked legalese and at one point, I thought he had more tents than a summer campsite. It was that intense.

The copper in fancy dress told me that they would expect me to keep the boy under control and that he should concentrate on his schooling and football. I assured them he would, and that if I felt I needed help I would ask them to come and read the riot act to him. The copper nodded and they left. I sighed with relief.

It was short lived. I had just made a cuppa and was engaging in the first sips of the brown nectar when the phone rang–typical. I picked it up. “Hello?” I said almost grumpily.

“Is that, Catherine Cameron?”

“Yes, who’s that?”

“I’m Julian Sangster from Lippiatt, Crachett and Boothe, solicitors and commissioners for oaths.”

“I don’t need a solicitor or an oath commissioned, so what d’you want?”

“Please, dear lady don’t shoot the messenger.”

“Okay, I’m sorry, but I’m having a trying lifetime.”

“Sorry to hear that, however, we have to ask your permission to release the body to the undertakers.”

Body? Undertakers? Shit–nothing had happened to Simon, Tom or one of the others? Please God. “Body? What body?”

“Mr Whitehead’s.”

“Is this a joke, Mr Whitehead was stabbed in front of me?”

“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry I didn’t know, but he’s given you as his next of kin.”

“He’s what?”

“He’s named you as his next of kin, so we’d be grateful if you could come in to sign one or two forms for us and okay the funeral arrangements.”

“When?”

“As soon as possible.”

“Where are you?”

“Winston Churchill Avenue, Southsea.”

I glanced at my watch, it was ten past two. “I could possibly make it between four and half past.”

“Yes, that would be fine, please ask for me, Julian Sangster.”

Jenny was off today, Stella was out. My only hope was Tom. I called him at the university and asked if he could possibly collect the girls from school. He hummed and hawed, but agreed in the end. If he couldn’t have done it he’d have said so immediately, he just likes to make me sweat.

I continued with my chores, changing beds and checking on the casserole–I was doing a sausage and liver casserole with strips of streaky smoked bacon laid over the top. The only problem is it’s cooked in a pot the size of a bucket–well having five adults and a thousand kids, you need a big pot–that’s what Simon says when he pokes me in the tummy. He’s got nothing to shout about, at least I can still see my knees, he can barely see his feet.

The casserole was doing okay, so I completed the potatoes and peas and left them for Tom to put on when he got home with the girls, or for Danny when he got home. I left a note on the fridge door, ‘Please put heat on under the vegetables at five pm, Mummy.

I went and showered and changed. I decided I would dress like a business woman and wore a suit and blouse with knee length boots. The suit was a deep lavender colour and the blouse a white cowl neck, the boots were black patent with a comfortable two and a half inch heel.

Despite the traffic, I arrived ten minutes early. I did wonder about walking round for a few minutes, then decided against it. I entered the reception of the solicitors and could see they were probably doing quite well parasitizing the elderly residents of Southsea–average age 93 years–or some such figure. As you will gather, I’m not overly disposed to many solicitors who are underworked and overpaid.

The receptionist smiled at me, “Can I help?”

“Yes, I have an appointment with Mr Sangster.”

“Who shall I say it is?”

Why didn’t she consult her diary? Oh well she asked for this, “Lady Cameron.”

She blushed and dialled his office, he was probably playing with himself under a large oak desk. “Mr Sangster, I have Lady Cameron to see you.”

“Lady?” I heard him squeak, “Why wasn’t I told?”

“I don’t know, Mr Sangster.”

“Okay, I’ll be right out.”

“He’ll be right out, Lady Cameron.”

He wasn’t, he took three or four minutes, so he could have been pulling his drawers up, washing his hands, ordering tickets for Wimbledon or a thousand other things. The more off the wall one’s speculations, the quicker the time passes.

“Lady Cameron, how good to meet you in person, do come in,” he offered his fleshy mitt and I shook it lethargically. “Tea or coffee?”

“Some water, would be nice,” I said sitting in a well upholstered chair. I smiled sweetly, he hadn’t offered it, which was why I’d asked for it. He rang reception and asked for a glass of water and a coffee for himself.

I regarded him while he called for the drinks. He was mid thirties, about five ten and not overweight. He wore a Marks and Spencer’s charcoal suit, which fitted him quite well, with a Persil white shirt and gold tie–he could have been a Liberal Democrat MP.

“Could I give you this to read before we begin.” He passed me an envelope in vellum coloured heavy paper. I opened it with the paper knife he offered me.

There were two pages of neatly written handwriting in blue-black ink suggesting a fountain pen. It gave an address in Southsea at the top of the letter.

My Dear Catherine,

I hope you don’t mind me calling you that, it is after all your name now. You might not remember me but I taught you English at Bristol Grammar School, and watched you cope with the difficulties you encountered. It must have been hell being the only girl in a boy’s school, but perhaps you didn’t know that then. You must, however, have known that you were different, and so did most of the other pupils and they made you pay for it. I did try to watch over you as much as I could and so did one or two others on the staff, but it was difficult as the headmaster didn’t like you nor did many of the staff.

We none of us knew quite what we were dealing with until you played Lady Macbeth. Then the penny dropped, helped by my darling wife Pru’s observation, that you were a girl, not a boy. I’m ashamed to say we all thought you might be homosexual, or gay as they say these days. None of us had heard of gender variant and all the other terms they use today.

Having realised what you possibly were, Pru insisted I try to follow your career from a distance and I used to speak with your father on occasion about your time at Sussex. I was so proud when you got a first, even if it was in Biology instead of English Literature.

Your father told me you were doing a research degree in Portsmouth which was when you decided to deal with your identity problem. He was very angry about it and when I tried to make him see reason, he cut me off. I saw him once after his stroke when you were visiting him as his daughter. He seemed to accept you and I was really pleased, Pru even suggested inviting you over to see us. Given your antipathy towards the school, I didn’t have the heart to face you rejecting me.

When Pru died, she had asked me to keep an eye on you, so I found a job in Portsmouth and managed to look out for one of your adopted children. I found it astonishing that you were able to adopt so many children and even more so when I heard what a good mother you made. Then, maybe Lady Macbeth in real life was a much nicer person than that depicted in Shakespeare.

That you are reading this means I’m with my Pru. Unlike you we have no children nor even nieces and nephews to ask to bury me. I have therefore to ask you to do the job for me. You can refuse, then the faceless parasites of the solicitors will do it for me.

In return, I leave you my estate. A house in Southsea, in the garage is a 1963 Jaguar S-type in very good condition. I believe your husband likes the marque, so might be interested in a real Jaguar. I spent many hours restoring it.

Amongst the bookshelves are quite a few first editions, some modern, some not so. There’s a few pounds in the bank, and I detail my savings accounts and so on at the end of this letter. The whole estate depending upon house prices should be worth up to three quarters of a million. Not bad for burying some old fart you didn’t especially like, but who tried to look out for you.

As I said before, the deal is organising my cremation, wherever you like, and interring me with Pru in Bristol. I’ve left the plot number with the solicitor. They also have the keys to my house and will act as executors to save you time. I know they’ll sting me, but that’s solicitors–bastards.

I hope you’re able to put the money to good use–with half a dozen kids, you can probably use all you get. I’m sorry I can no longer follow your career, Lady Dormouse, but I wish you well and hope that all your children will make you as proud of them as I’ve been of you.

Good bye,

Alexander Whitehead (deceased).

I had to move the letter when my tears began to drip on to the paper.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ouch.

Just come off a skype with Catherine and things got a bit tearful. This was not a chapter I could have done with tonight but, like a moth to the flame I had to 'Get my fix!'

Stuff rarely works out the way you'd like.

Love and hugs.

Berverly

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

do you suppose ...

amyzing's picture

... that all the old nobility acquired all their houses by being ... noble?

:-)

It'd be amusing if Cathy acquired a title in her own right, as well, but I'm afraid those can't be willed about.

Amy!

Tear-Jerking

Well, that got me going pretty good.

The verbal abuse two installments ago is quite inexplicable now that we've seen the true feelings of Whitehead, and the extent to which he clearly felt like Cathy was an adopted ward of his, albeit from a distance.

Damn. This really made me cry.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

What a letter. Cathy finds

What a letter. Cathy finds out about the real teacher she had and that he actually was following her life closely, in hopes being some form of protection for her. I definitely see why she would be crying at the end of it, I was teared up also.

Goodness me!

I thought we'd had most things (as in literary devices) in this series, but now a letter from the grave? My only question is, "When was it written?" The content of the letter seems to be at odds with some of the things that Mr Whitehead said in his dealings with Cathy after Danny's injuries.

Thanks A+B+I (sausage and liver casserole with bacon? I take it Izzy's not been well, either): the twists and turns in the plot (yeah, I know, what plot?) keep coming thick and fast, and sad to say, I'll be back again tomorrow to see what further mysterious happenings you've got for us to digest.

Peculiar Sustenance


Bike Resources

Sweet

wow, awesome bit of writing

Me too

littlerocksilver's picture

My throat is tightening up and the eyes are watering a bit. Why in the hell did he act the way he did? It just doesn't make sense. Okay, Cathy is accumulating all these houses. She needs to get a staff, and open them up to homeless children, gender conflicted or not. She certainly doesn't need them for anything else.

Portia

Portia

Lady Cameron, property magnate

Two houses in Brissle and one in Southsea. I know that we're at the bottom of a recession but most of Southsea is the posh end of Portsmouth and, therefore, the house should significantly increase in value.

At the rate she's going, she'll soon be able to afford to buy Danny his own football team.

I also am puzzled about the apparent turnaround of the teacher's attitude to Cathy. I'll just have to read it all again.

Just when I think I've a handle on life, the handle falls off.

S.

Cathy gains things after deaths

... and one wonders if those deaths serve a purpose for Cathy. I mean, that is how baby Catherine came to her care. Now, the presence of this other home is interesting, if it is big enough, she may relocate away from Tom if need be, or would the house serve another philanthropic purpose?

Kim

nice Ang

kristina l s's picture

Ya got me... just a pinch teary. I'll play and suggest ol' Mr Whitehead was a bit flustered and went smartarse bluster as a defence and then realised his mistake. At least it got sorted before the drecks hit the pepper. Charge Danny? Rolls eyes and mutters, the law is truly an ass. Collecting houses, nice hobby for a ladyship type, now for the good works. Good stuff as ever, hope the cold is getting better.

Kris

Thank you again!!

ALISON

Like everyone else,I am crying my eyes out.You really are amazing!

ALISON

So what brought on the verbal exchange of

a couple of episodes ago? I really don't quite understand. Need to go back and read it again. Cathy seems to be accumulating houses. I hope SHE drives the jag now and then.

I Admire You, Ang!!

I can't quite get over that you can keep this story going at such a consistently high level of quality. There's no doubt that you have talent; thank you for sharing it with us.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

This New House

jengrl's picture

This new house is in the same city as the Hotel owned by Henry. She definitely could use the place for something. I wonder where it is in relation to Portsmouth? If it wasn't too far, then they could consider it if the home is bigger than Tom's. I kind of doubt the house is really big enough for their brood, but I guess she won't know until she sees it. I guess it would have to be close if Mr. Whitehead traveled to and from school every day.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Portsmouth and Southsea…

…are parts of the same conurbation—joined at the hip, as it were. Portsmouth is overshadowed by the considerable presence of the Royal Navy.

Look up Portsmouth and Southsea, United Kingdom on Google maps and you will see how they are situated.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gosh, Ang…

…what a clever girl you are. I wonder why I didn’t think of that? But then I’m only your dumb editor. Duh!
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

All I can say

is wow. And Cathy needs to let none of her family near that old Jag. It is hers! None of the others would appreciate it or take care of it. Not sure if she needs that new house in the family or not. It would bring in a pretty penny in rent, though. That could help out Maureen's bunch a bit, as well as help take care of the kids nicely. She has Tom's, and her parents, and Stella unknowingly has the other one. Unless she intends to be the next robber baron in town, she has plenty. The kids need to be on the old farm anyway. Much better place to grow up in.

The new house if big enough

... could serve to give her a stronger hand in dealing with 'Daddy' who has already shown he cares for old flames more than he loves his 'daughter' in that he would not even bat an eye and let Cathy and her brood leave the house. He still has not even apologized for that has he? Delusional twit. Worthless.

Kim

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1262

Now Cathy has two People from her past that cared for her that she never knew about, till now, and even more property as well. With so much property at her disposal, will she be able to give her urchins a house each? Or will her knack of acquiring houses end before they graduate?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Kimmie

don't be too harsh on the ole' man quite yet. I suspect that part of this unfolding storyline, isn't complete yet. And the fact our authoress seems to have a knack of getting us mad at someone, then, sorting things out later on, and we wonder at how we missed the outcome that changed in an unexpected way.

I marvel at ANGHARAD's writing skills, I have barely the skill at times to put my own to test in writing these comments at times so, they end up 1/2 intelligent sounding.

(smiles) thanks from this PART of the world for inviting us on this wonderful journey.

Maybe...

Cathy jumps to conclusions so many times. Others seem to help her jump, too. Mr. Whitehead even did it - when he insisted on calling her "Charlie Watts" and all a few days ago. Perhaps the last two days of revelations will help her some...

Quite a series of tear jerkers...

Thanks,
Anne

I reckon the dreaded Plod ....

.... are going to put two and two together and make it add up to three hundred and enty em. 'Lady Cameron, I arrest you on suspicion of murder.....' and 'Please explain how you convince people to leave you property just before they shuffle off this mortal coil' Ok - joking aside, thanks yet again to you, Ang - stunningly super job. Joolz.

If I remember right

Cathy's brood take after her and tend to record things.

And to think

when we first met Alexander Whitehead, I along with many others really did not like the man ..... How wrong can you be!

Kirri

Note knowing British law

I have to admit some surprise at even considering a case of self defense that was so blatant. Even if Cathy was not wealthy, I suspect the press, both local and overseas, would have a field day.

Hum, interesting posting

Cathy's really feeling upset with herself by now.

Cefin