Jem...Chapter 218

Printer-friendly version

*Before…

There’s a lot of cheers and as they were playing we were finishing changing and going from our dressy look to us in our much more us sort of girl Jem-punk kinda way and this time we’ve go a little more of that heavy make-up over glam kinda look and when we take the stage Mike kills the lights and then.

Boom, boom, boom!

Sparkle confetti and the smoke machine goes off with a blast and there’s flashes of or pop lights and then pink lighting featuring in on us and we step up and I’m channeling my best Lizzy Hale voice as I start to sing….

*And Now…

Kimmie on drums rolling up the build up and I start belting out…

“Wa, wa, wa…. WIIIIILD THNG!”

And it is that song.

And the crowd no matter most of them being our age screams out.

“YOU MAKE MY HEART SING!!!”

You make everything groovy….
Wild thing...
Wild thing, I think I love you
But I wanna know for sure…!!!
Come on and hold me tight...
I love you…
(Guitar solo.)
(Harmonica.)
Wild thing!
You make my heart sing!
You make everything groovy……..!!!
Wiiiiiiild Thing!
(Breathy voice.)
Wild thing, I think you move me….
But I wanna know for sure….
Come on and hold me tight...
You move me….
(Guitar riffs and heavy drums.)
(I mic the crowd, and they boom like thunder and dance jump as they scream.)
W...W...WILD THING!!!
YOU MAKE EVERYTHING GROOVY!
W...W...WILD THING!
YOU MAKE EVERYTHING GROOVY!!!
WIIIIILD THING!!!

Come on, come on, come on...wild thing.

Shake it, shake it, shake it wild thing….

And we end with a long wild guitar riff trailing off at the end of it.
Then as soon as we do, they barely stopped bouncing when we do *Walk Like An Egyptian.* By The Bangles.

I’m getting into it the high energy bopping and bouncing on stage and then singing as loud as I can and mic’ing the crowd as we do the “Oh wey ohs!” and then the egyptian dancing.

The crowd is fired and dancing so many girls out there, wild make-up, stage paints, LGBT+ colors and beads and glow sticks and the dollar store glow bracelets and jewelry.

The crowd does this rolling dance surge and screams as we finish that and Brooklynn steps up opening that heavy, heavy guitar riff. As we do Joan Jett. *I Love Rock n Roll.* only I switch out the him for her.

“I saw him dancin' there by the record machine…”
“I knew she must a been about seventeen…!”
“The beat was goin' strong….”
“Playin' my favorite song…”

“And I could tell it wouldn't be long……”

“'Til she was with me…(Mic the crowd,) YEAH ME!”

“And I could tell it wouldn't be long…”

“'Til she was with me, yeah, me, singin'....!!”
(And the place erupts into everyone there screaming as they’re dance swaying.”

“I LOVE ROCK N’ ROLL!”
“SO PUT ANOTHER DIME IN THE JUKEBOX BABY!”
“I LOVE ROCK N’ ROLL!”
“SO COME AND TAKE YOUR TIME AND DANCE WITH ME!”
“OW...!!!”
It’s a crowd fave and they’re dancing and screaming and singing and bopping.

Then we hit them with some of our older covers but they’re faves with our girl fans with loads of downloads.

*Because I’m Awesome* and *My Best Friend’s Hot.* By the Dollyrots and the crowd here is more than into that as they’re high energy dancing, moving, shaking, bouncing.

Then we hit them while they’re dancing and bouncing and all hyper with *If I Was a Sailor Scout.* By Starlight Butterfly and then we do *Magical Power Panties.*

That was… there was a surge cheer and as Roxy worked the drums to the build up they started chanting. “MPP!”
“MPP!”
“MPP!”
“MPP!”
“MPP!”

Then she launched into that like she was just as amped as they were and she did a serious drum solo in there for like five minutes and she was almost a blur and sweat was dripping off of her and she just went into hyper drumming and out there in the crowd they were pressed tight together bouncing and almost moshing and chanting “MPP!” all the way through her solo.

So we go from that to *Raise Your Fist.* By Starlight Butterfly. And use that to got to our heavy version of *Keep the Faith.* By Starlight Butterfly and then *Don’t Wanna.* By Starlight Butterfly for a a hard five in a row just our content.

It was good getting some of ours in as well but just kinda touches on us needing more bop and pop styled songs.

And that’s ten songs in and played live which runs us longer than studio play times so it’s a perfect time to switch.

I step up to the microphone. “Hey Wildcats….” In my best sexy voice even letting a little rasp through.

There’s cheers.

“One heck of a cool night right, a place for ourselves! Dancing! Our music! Magic, Tingles…. How about some dancing and some Halloween….”

“Oh Raven?”

Rayne steps, sways to the microphone and she takes it in both hands and really slowly and sexy voiced starts doing her version of *I Put a Spell on You!* By CCR.

Then we do *Creep* by Radiohead.

She is singing and she is so perfect doing that sultry bass voice she has and it’s pulling in and entrancing the crowd and it’s just perfect.

And they’re dancing but they’re also singing along too when she hits.

“ I wish I was Special…. You’re So fucking special…”

“But I'm a creep!”

“I'm a weirdo…”

“What the hell am I doin' here?”

“I don't belong here…”

She does a long drawn out full on Emo/goth sort of cover of the song really getting that painful aching teen girl feeling and the crowd is digging it and singing along with her and there’s more lighters and swaying dancing and people are into it.

We follow that up by Raven doing this fun, goth forward version of *Trouble Now.* By Pink.

*AC/DC* But Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

*Addiction* By Amy Winehouse.

Then we do this really slow, very me on keyboards in piano mode of *Drops of Jupiter.* By Train but like if Audra Mae sang it.

The others join in once it gets going but we turn it into a whole thing.

Then our slowed down sultry and sexy version of *I Need you Tonight.* By INXS and there is something in that cover the way that Rayne sings it that is almost like she’s seducing the Mic.

Almost like she’s sexy talking in your ear.

And that’s 17 songs and just over an hour of singing and playing and we’re the last show.

No breaks.

We do take a second for waters and to even pour some over ourselves with pictures and cheers from the crowd and I step to the Mic.

“So we had the bops, and we had the goths, so you girls think that you’re ready to slide close to your girlfriends, slip arms around each other and just groove with us as we place some slow sweet dancing tunes?”

I take a breath and we start slowly with instrumentals and open with *Open arms* By Journey.

Then we do *More than words* By Extreme and follow that song with *Time after Time* By Cyndi Lauper and that lets us slip into the slow dancing sort of love tunes that we do really good with.

We play *Washed Away*, *Billy Holiday*, *Everything*, *Forever and Always*, *Carousel*, *Tingle*, *The Other Side of Something* and *Fidelity* which we are allowed to play and have that sultry vibe lead us into *In The Arms of An Angel* By Sarah McGlaughlan and *Better than Chocolate* By here as well.

Raven and I switch bad and forth with some of the slow songs sing she really does a great job with Billy Holiday and Fidelity and Brooklynn actually takes the lead and the vocals for The Other Side of Something including doing a great guitar solo for it that has really strong Lita Ford energy.

It’s really good to have the mix and to show off that we ALL have the ability and talent in the band as well as our specialties.

And it is just amazing to seeing more that 400 people in the place mostly together or having found someone that they can partner up and dance with and the fact that it is mostly Lesbian and Bi Girls and other LGBT folks really hits a good place because Harpers Point might have some in school LGBT+ spaces but there’s really not that much in terms of other stuff here including gay bars and the like since it’s usually all in bigger cities.

I think there’s likely gay girls here and stuff from this half of the province

And no it’s not like we did this ourselves but it’s really cool to be involved and to see people get to have that little slice of stuff.

29 songs we’ve been up here for nearly two hours and we’re the last act so no one chased us off of the stage and I'm a mess, we all are a mess and I hold the mic and stand close almost leaning on it and I wave and smile at the crowd.

‘You guys are amazing tonight and we are so, so damned proud to be here. We’ve had an amazing time tonight and we’re going to play the show out tonight instead of our usual we decided to play something a little more impactful, a love song but one for people that we’ve lost… cancer is…well fuck cancer, fuck what it does to people and fuck how it can break us, our families and our loved ones…break our lovers.”

“We have donation jars at our booth in case people what to donate to The Canadian Cancer Society, and the proceeds for this song online are all going to them as well and the Oncology Unit foro Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children too. We’ll appreciate anything.”

I take a breath.

“Here’s Oncology.”

Let me sit close to you to say goodbye …
Don’t mind the tears here in my eyes …
Because they’re not sad tears …
Because I love you …
I’ll love you forever …

(Chorus)
Let’s savor the times we had together!
Savor those words we pledged forever!
We both still have love, we still have love!
It can’t take that! It can’t touch that!

Let me sing to you a lullaby.
It’s one last song, it’s one last try …
To see that light, to see that smile …
Baby I need this.
I hate all this suffering …

(Chorus)

Oh close your eyes and rest your head.
On the cool steel of that hospital bed …
You look too tired yet so serene …
You can let go …
Let our tears flow …

Let’s talk together one on one …
About all the things we’ve seen and done …
And all those good things … those great big little things.
Before it became …
Before our life with cancer …

(Chorus)

(Chorus)

Hey; We’re not over, we’re not done …
There’s one more shot, there’s one more try …
Because I’ll see you, forever after … forever after …
In that sunshine …
I’ll be there …
Just wait for me …
There are lighters and phones out and there’s a lot of crying with some people and there’s a lot of applause and we bow out and the curtain closes and The Brewers are out on stage talking to the crowds and directing traffic as we’re all done.

I end up leaning on Rayne and she’s hugging and holding me andI’m sort of propping her up too as we are beat, that loopy, tired yet still wired with adrenaline sort of beat.

We drink more water and then hit the bathrooms and Carmen is there with make-up remover wipes, Fresh towels for us to do quick wash ups in the bathroom and a change of clothes and we do some basic make-up and then we go out and we help tear down.

Hot water, Shea butter wash ups and deodorant sprays and fresh clothes that aren’t sweat drenched feel so good.

And we stay and talk to some lingering fans and others as we get our instruments away and start helping break down our merc tables which were bare… bare, we sold out of everything.

And there’s a lot of tips and someone let people write fan letters for us if they couldn’t buy merch and there’s a pile of those too and just.. There’s so much work we have to do after this.

I noticed some guys show up with gear and started setting up? They moved tables we had merc at and shifted things around and there was one side of the eroom with food being brought in like a buffet and then on stage there was DJ’s.

Jan Brewer was on stage. “Now folks on top of being paid tonight we’re going to treat all of you to your own private party and dancing and food and snacks, all of you rocking good girls and the bad ones are welcome to take a minute and eat, dance, party. We mde Harper Point and County LGBT+ history tonight people and this might just be bigger than even that!”

I actually yelled out. “Next year we’ll have a whole year to plan it and we can do a whole weekend!”

There were laughs and whistles and cheers from some of the other bands and Jan holds up a beer at us in salute as the music starts playing.

*C’mon feel the noise.* By Quiet Riot starts cranking at max volume and I’m moving already and pulling Rayne onto the dance floor.

Our turn.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I opened the webpage and look! Bailey's dropped a story!

...and then I looked down and ! she's dropped several stories! It's like Christmas!

Hi! So good to see you here again! I loved Jem as always. I love the music! I hope you are well!

Ears burning...

Beverly Colleen's picture

I was just wondering what happened with Bailey and looking at her stories like Jem, thinking about rereading again. Two days later...Updates! Hope all is well with you and of course would love more updates for your excellent ongoing stories.

**********
I am a leaf on the wind, but someone turned the fan off.

Our turn.

fantastic. and yay, Jem is back!

DogSig.png

So good to see you writing Bailey…….

D. Eden's picture

And especially more Jem!

I know I miss seeing your posts, and I am pretty sure that there are plenty of others here who would agree.

I hope you are doing better. I miss being able to chat with you.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Finally

Jem’s next chapter ! The author that made me fall in love with this website... thank you ! But please, please do not wait 2 years for the next one !!

A new 'Jem' chapter - great!

koala's picture

I was just re-reading 'Jem' for (I think) the fourth time (up to chapter 50 this time) when this new chapter arrived.
Thanks, Bailey.

Koala

Inside every older person is a young person wondering what the heck happened.

So good

Amethyst's picture

It's so good to see you back and posting again, Bailey. And you posted chapters of both Jem and Sixteen Feet of Steel. This made a crappy week a lot less crappy. This chapter just hit me right in the feels too. I've missed the way you do that to your readers and get them invested in the story and characters.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Jem/Angel

Angela2013's picture

I was so glad that there were more stories of Jem. I reread the whole saga again from the beginning. I laughed, I cried, I listen to the music on my Echo, I just had fun. Looking forward for more stories.