Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1670

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1670
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Back at home, Trish insisted on having a go with my bruising, and her ten minutes of ministration did seem to help–at least I could see a bit better from my left eye. I offered the girls the chance to watch the DVD of the Princess Bride and that gave me a chance to quickly change and slip over to the garage and half an hour’s workout with the punch bag.

When I finished I was dripping with sweat and exhausted, but I felt so much better, save for the headache I got by my left eye. I also determined that I wouldn’t be caught so unresponsive next time. Why I didn’t start fighting back, I don’t know. I was surprised by the assault and by the proximity of the group of teenagers; that seemed to intimidate me. Next time it would elbows knees and fists until I made enough room to deliver some high kicks.

Normally I’d be worried about kicking the wrong one or knocking someone into a bystander. In a situation like the other day, I wouldn’t worry about it again, I’d just start defending myself. As for the risk of prosecution for using excessive force, I’d deal with that if I survived the attack.

After showering I sent Si a text asking him to call Andy Bond. An hour later he sent me one back saying he had. He implied if they wanted to prosecute him, he’d do all in his power to cause them maximum embarrassment. That worries me, because we have lots to lose–there’s my situation, which could become news again, as could Julie and Trish. Then the jackpot would be none of these but the revelation of who Jacquie once was, which would create all sorts of problems for her and for us. I’d go for an injunction as soon as I knew someone was intending to publish, because a court gave her anonymity and to breach that is to be in contempt of court. Hopefully it won’t go that far and we’ll be able to resolve this to our satisfaction. If not, look out world.

There was a report in the local paper, saying that a young mother had been attacked by the gang and her husband had hospitalised three of them in rescuing her. It was inaccurate but I didn’t feel like informing them of their mistake.

I got dressed and saw the shower had reduced some of the swelling on my face though the colours were still purples and greens. I checked the bathroom cupboard and I found some foundation crá¨me , so I plastered that over my bruises. It seemed to help conceal them, especially when I dusted it with powder.

I looked at the two items of makeup–I couldn’t remember when I bought them, let alone used them, probably not since living on my own in that grotty little bedsit thing I rented before living with Si and Stella or Tom. It wasn’t as long as it felt, but it was only a combination of my natural laziness and Stella convincing me I didn’t need the makeup that improved my use of it. Julie does all sorts of exotic things with makeup, much better than I could, although she’s got beautiful skin and doesn’t need it. She won’t believe me though, she’s only my daughter.

On the extreme opposite sits Jacquie who uses no makeup at all. Once again she has lovely skin, and only uses moisturiser since I told her she should, and then to protect it against the sun when out in the summer, if we get any. It’s noticeably cooler and wetter since the bank holiday hove into sight.

I left the bedroom casually dressed and went to sort out lunch. The film buffs appeared very quickly once they discovered I was doing food. Jacquie appeared with Danny, who related that she’d been helping him with his English–he had an essay to write and she helped him do so. He’d never asked me, except to check his spelling and once or twice to check his science subjects–and then I got it wrong with his physics. It never was my best subjec,t because I didn’t enjoy the applied mathematics which is all it is. I was happy to measure things, but not light or electricity or to determine specific gravities or latent heats, no I was happy weighing animals and plants–real things, not abstracts. Seeing as we don’t really understand what electricity is, and better minds than mine have been flummoxed, why should I wear my little grey cells out when I could save them for the Guardian crossword or planning how I could corrupt young minds at university–actually making them think for themselves. To my mind that’s much more important than getting a degree.

I did a salad with hard boiled eggs and a choice of cold meats with some fresh made bread. They all grumbled but it was astonishing how quickly all the food, including the lettuce and rocket, disappeared.

“Your face looks better,” Jacquie said looking at me as we cleared the table after the locusts had left.

“Nah, I’ve just hidden it with some makeup.”

“Oh, I hardly ever use it,” she said shrugging and rinsing off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

“Have you never used it?”

“Not really, I did when I was first released, thinking I could look different if I dyed my hair and painted my face, but I couldn’t really be bothered, and I didn’t really like how I looked.”

“I suppose it’s not for everyone–I used to enjoy trying to create different looks by using different colours and more of it. Creating a femme fatale look, or a sophisticated look. I wasn’t as good at it as Julie is.”

“I never got into it, in the same way I tried not to be bullied into making tattoos with a pin and felt pen, like so many of them did.”

“Ugh, properly done tattoos give me the willies on women, and I can’t say I like them on men either. So many young women have them now, it’s quite worrying. What are they going to feel like at seventy?”

“Mummy, none of us these days worry about living to seventy, we live for today.”

“Hmm, part of me thinks that’s not a bad idea, except what happens tomorrow?”

“You deal with it when it becomes today, but of course, tomorrow never actually arrives does it.”

“Yeah, a bit like the local mail service.”

She laughed at my analogy. “You are so funny, Mummy.”

Yeah, kiddo, you don’t know the half of it.

We finished the clean up when Stella returned with her two little ones. “I’m off to the baby clinic, anything you want while I’m out?”

“Yes please, milk–get a couple of four or six pintas, will you?”

“Okay, semi-skimmed?”

“Please.”

She went off in her car which reminded me of my trip in it earlier. I shuddered at the recollection.

“What’s the matter, Mummy?”

“Oh I was just thinking about Stella’s driving.”

“Is it bad, then?”

“Shall we say she gets women drivers a bad name. We first met after she hit me off my bike. I was lucky she didn’t kill me.”

“What she crashed into you?”

“Yeah, she hit me from behind and I luckily landed in a hedge which gave me loads of superficial scratches but broke my fall. She’s been promising to complete the job one day.”

“Charming–I hope she’s joking?”

“Yes of course she is, if she killed me she’d have to live on beans on toast forever more.”

“True–you are so funny.”

“When’s your next driving lesson?”

“Tomorrow.”

“And when’s your therapist seeing you again?”

“That’s tomorrow as well, in the morning and the driving lesson’s in the afternoon.”

“Okay, you can use my study for your therapist if you like.”

“If I want you to sit in, will you?”

“You’ve had what three lots already, what’s happening that you need me there?”

“Sometimes she wants me to remember things I’d rather not.”

“She’s supposed to know what she’s doing but if you don’t wish to recall them, tell her. She’s there for your benefit, not the other way round–she gets paid for her efforts.”

“She keeps on about reframing and closure.”

“Yeah, well remember, she’s supposed to support you, not the other way round.”

“So will you sit in with us?”

“I’ll have a think about it, but I doubt she’ll be very happy with the idea.”

“Thank you, Mummy.”

I went away feeling very unsure about any of it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
231 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Contrast...

... to the past couple of episodes. Just a nice, "normal" day in the Cameron clan.

Thanks for the continuation.

Have to

agree with Cathy as regards tattoo's, No matter where they are on a womans body they just look so wrong to me ( guess i must be old fashioned )And thats not to mention the fact that most women love nothing more than changing their look or style quite often, Which can be rather difficult if you have a prominent tattoo.... Best left alone i say or if you really must have one then buy one of those that comes off after a short time ...

Kirri

I agree, Kirri. I do not like tattoos

That is one thing I noticed when I moved from the San Francisco Bay Ara last summer, to Indianapolis.

Indianapolis proper, not including it's metro area, has 1/9 as many people, but I think there are probably 2-3 times as many tattoo parlors here, and an even higher ratio of people, women included, with tattoos. It has not been as noticeable over the winter, but with warmer weather, I've been noticing them a lot more.

At least, most of them are tasteful, but there are a number that are not. And a lot of the tattoos are very large and obvious in warm weather.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Try the smaller towns

Towns in Ohio are literally littered with tattoo parlors. In my neck of the woods, my town, which is about 25,000 people, give or take, has I would say at least 5 tattoo parlors, and a couple others that do it privately as a home business. I never really thought that our neck of the woods was any different from the rest of the country when concerning tattoos, but now I feel like we're addicted!

There are some

There are some very beautiful tattoos out there on women. But the notion that they are tattoos and tattoos do not age well is very off putting. If they could use a semipermanent ink (no skin penetration) or decals them I would have some myself. A friend sent me some images of tattoos last night in iChat and they were magnificent. If only they were not actual tattoos.

I'd be surprised ...

I'd be surprised if Cathy's allowed to sit in on Jacquie's session.

Reframing and closure? Hmmmmm Iv'e got my doubts about closure on rape. As for reframing, I'm not sure what that means and I'm not sure if I want to find out. If it's to do with dissassembly of Jacquie's life and then rebuilding her personality and psyche, then there's going to be a hell of a lot of rebuilding and 'reframing'.

I was Skyping another BC aficiendo tonight and we were talking about early life abuses. She still refers to her abuser as 'That Bastard' even though he's long dead. I don't think I'll ever find closure either. My friend and I both have similar stratergies for dealing with 'Black Dogs - Grey Wolves' or whatever and they involve solitude, lots of solitude.

Good chapter Angie and I'm still lovin' it.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Doctors and Psychiatrists

I still think about those who 'treated' me in the late 1960's. Of course, a doctor then was second only to God and their 'treatment', and her own parent's paranoia, succeeded in ruining the life of the woman selected as my 'cure' as well as wasting about 40 years of my own life.

C'est la vie, as they say.

I really must get round to watching 'The Princess Bride.'

S.

I was going to say...

something about Bev's experiences. So here's my take: I write good therapists. I mean, I write people who care, healers, whatever; I don't mean I necessarily write them well. My Sally, Raj and Alec are what I have dreamt of as healers trying to get to the heart of a person's pain and cut it out. That is why I wrote the regression therapy scene in 'Viewpoints' as harshly as I did. They care, and I do my best to write them that way.

I remember my first 'therapist', and the word that comes to mind (if I exclude 'wanker') is 'clockwatcher'. The one Ang describes seems to be cut of the other, more worrying, cloth, where they have decided their vision of the patient's reality before they have ever met.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1670

Some therapists have an agenda and will do their best to make a patient conform to their agenda/belief, causing untold damage

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cathy

has much more trust from Jacquie than the therapist. Beside, it can be good to have a parent there, to make sure things do not go too far. I suspect they will in this case, Bonzi has a mean streak.