Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1739

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1739
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The joys of marking exam papers–I don’t think–or should that be they don’t think, or they don’t read the questions properly. I honestly wonder about the kids I’m teaching–how did they get here in the first place, because some of them don’t seem able to read or write coherently, so how did they get the required A-levels? I don’t remember the university offering free places as raffle prizes–so maybe they got lost going to a party or something and stayed. It certainly seems that very few came here to study or learn anything. I mean, one had spelt dormouse with three Os, as in door-mouse. One of the first things I tell them is that the name originates from the Latin dormio to sleep. In other words a mouse that sleeps, given it hibernates for half its life, it’s a reasonable epithet.

Marking these things is the nearest I get to true masochism: did you know the green stuff in plants is chlorine plasters; that, the reason Carl Linné gave rise to the binomial system of naming things with Latin names, was because he couldn’t speak English. The seashore is called the littoral zone, because it contains lots of litter, washed up by the tide. Did you know Charles Darwin was born in Australia, and that they named the town after him? No, neither did I, nor I suppose would the man himself; but then I’m not sure he’d have voted for evolution of the species by natural elections.

I stopped for a cuppa before I pulled all my hair out. While I was making it, Tom came through. I grumbled about the standard of the answers to fairly broad questions and he told me it was what happened when we had a housewife superstar working there. I shut up after that.

Something I hadn’t appreciated was that Gareth had a brother, a twin brother called Geraint, who had called by to see Tom and collect his stuff. Geraint didn’t know his brother was engaged–they’d fallen out after the death of their parents–they were killed while abroad, working for the British Council.

According to Tom, he thought he was seeing a ghost when Geraint walked into his office. He’s a pilot with Virgin, and a good friend of Richard Branson. He was unaware that he was an uncle and Tom invited him to dinner that evening to meet his nieces. I reminded Tom that only one of them was Gareth’s, the other was Des’ daughter.

He simply shrugged and wandered off reminding me to cook something nice for our guest. Yeah, wonderful. He did resist the urge to say that, as mistress of the house, it was my job to organise such things. If he had I’d probably have gone off in a sulk for the next week: that he didn’t showed he was getting to know me far too well.

About four papers from the end, I called James and told him to meet me at a particular pub at one o’clock. It was then half past eleven and I hoped I could get the rest done by then.

I did but it was a real trial. I went off to meet him in something of a strop because when I thought about Tom saying about the housewife superstar business, it suddenly occurred to me that these weren’t from our university, they were from Sussex–unless he meant that my television film encouraged loads of teenagers to want to study ecology or biology. However, it seems that many of them have little idea of what they were getting into. Mitosis–something on the end of mi-feetsis.

I drove out to the pub, to the north of the city and parked. Not being sure which car James was driving, I waited until exactly one before I got out and entered the pub. He wasn’t to be seen. I ordered a drink and sat at a table declining to order any food until James arrived.

At twenty past one, I sent him a text message asking where he was. I got no answer. At one forty, I called his mobile, but it wasn’t answered. I began to worry. If he was delayed he’d have said. He’d have done the same if he’d got lost. Something had happened and I doubted it was just his car breaking down.

I called Andy Bond and explained what had happened so far. He shared my concerns but suggested that if James had come across something he felt needed investigating, he’d go ahead and do it without realising the time. I agreed it was a scenario I’d considered as possibly one which had happened.

I went off shopping for dinner as Tom had suggested I do. I got some lovely braising steak at Morrison’s and bought a few more bits of veg suitable for a casserole, so a braised steak and onion casserole would be the meal–nothing too exciting, but it cost me twenty pounds for sufficient steak for everyone.

I had a sandwich, prepared the casserole and popped it in the Aga. Jacquie seemed to have coped quite well with the children and I thanked her for doing so. She was really pleased that I did so, that she nearly burst with pride. I slipped her an extra twenty pounds as an unofficial bonus.

I just had time to send Simon a text about our visitor to dinner before dashing off to collect the mouseketeers. I advised them that we had a visitor for dinner and who he was. They weren’t sure if it was a treat or a nuisance. To be honest, neither was I.

Simon sent me a text back to say that Sammi had impressed his IT manager and it was his suggestion that the bank sponsor her through university on the understanding that she worked for them for four years afterwards–the length of her course or pay back the sponsorship money. Given that she was living as one of our children, I wasn’t sure it was a good idea. Simon also said they’d be heading home early to be back for dinner at seven, but I wouldn’t hear how Sammi had fared by her own estimation until our guest left.

The girls went and changed and got stuck into their homework, so it would be cleared for later on. I wasn’t sure how much Geraint knew about what happened to Gareth, and I certainly didn’t want to be the first to break it.

I was far from looking forward to this meal and seeing someone who looked so much like our murdered friend, it was going to distract me and I’d be on edge the whole time in case I said something I shouldn’t.

I still hadn’t heard from James and I began to worry in earnest. I called Andy and asked him to list him as a missing person. The day was not improving.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Re: The First Paragraph

littlerocksilver's picture

Read the Instructions, then RTFQ & A.

Portia

Seems I've heard...

Seems I've heard similar complaints from my wife - and many other teachers... Seems every now and again they do get GOOD students, and it reminds them again why they're teaching. But, I can name quite a few teachers who've expressed the feeling "how did that student get here? Guess social promotion is alive and well wherever he/she came from." or some such...

As to read the questions... One should read the directions (if any) prior to reading the questions... It can be important too... (I still recall one test I got in 5th grade... Before handing the test out, the teacher told the class that it was a test to see how well we were able to follow directions. When we got the test, the direction said read the entire test before attempting any of the exercises. Then, in the last (or second to last, I don't recall which) question it said "Perform the activities described in questions 1, 7 and 29. (I don't recall the exact numbers.) But, those three had us put our names at the top of the page, fold the exam in half - lengthwise, put our names on the outside of the folded exam page and then to sit quietly until the teacher told us otherwise. The REST of the test questions (the ones we were supposed to ignore) directed us to do all sorts of things - like stand up beside our desks and stand on one leg for one minute, fold the exam in half - across the width. etc.

A few of us actually read the thing through an did the little we were supposed to. A few more did the first few things - noticed us sitting there, and skimmed the rest - and caught on... More kept right on following the wrong directions and doing silly things, until they got to the end and saw the one that told them what to do...

As to James... Oops. While PC Bond MAY be correct that he's searching for something... He HAS gotten in over his head before and it sounds like the malefactors are willing to use deadly force so, yeah, a missing person is probably good. Dunno if a few hours missing is enough to get one out over here though. *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette

Darwin

kristina l s's picture

Is a nice town if a little wild at times. Once met a little old lady that looked after his poodle when he went sailing. I think James is being very rude.

Oh... a virgin and a pilot, I didn't think that was possible.

Kris

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1739

Could Geraint be the cause that James is missing?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I think that Cathy might need to get her own housekeeper

well at least a part time one who can honest to Goddess cook.

She spends enough time at it. I know she enjoys it but she needs competent backup.

The mystery continues to be erm mysterious as there are few clues but lots of strange things and people abouts.

A twin brother? Wait until Stella meets him.

Kim

A twin brother?

Stella may have already met him. If not and she sees him before she is told of Gareth's murder, or within a couple of hours after she is told, who knows what will happen to her sanity?

Yes, and Cathy does need to hire a housekeeper/cook....fast! Her life is getting too busy and too complicated now that she is back at the University teaching, and with Stella's recovery still going on from CO poisoning, and Gareth's death, and Sammi, and.......she really needs the help.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Housekeepers

Easier said than done.

Housekeeper #1 fell in love with the wrong person, stole a figurine, then attempted suicide in regret.
Housekeeper #2 fell in love with Housekeeper #1 while visiting her, was persuaded not to transition, then stormed off.
Housekeeper #3 had a problematic childhood and has subsequently become part of the family.

Perhaps once the murder investigation (double murder if James got in too far over his head) has been completed, Cathy can persuade the three older "children" (Julie, Jacqui and Sammi) to draw up a rota for helping with the housework. With the ever expanding number of people in the household, if Cathy bought an extra iron and ironing board (or even two more), if two or three household members did the ironing simultaneously they'd soon race through everyone's pile - after all, there are currently six adults (seven when Stella's discharged), one 12 year old, the three mouseketeers, a toddler and two babies in the house.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

And there's been no mention

of the fate of the student who fell off a chair.

As with the great British climate, it never rains but it pours. In this case, 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = a hell of a lot.

Sorry for the lack of comments over the past week; I've been sweltering in very hot weather in Northern Italy. Gotta spend my pension on something!

S.

Gareth?

WOW! I had a strange dream last night, and no I have no idea what is coming up in this story.
Gareth isn't dead, his twin brother is, killed by Gareth for a yet to be revealed reason, and then used dynamite to erase clues.

Interesting, isn't it? It certainly raises some intriguing questions, I.E. Why did Gareth fake his own death? What, if anything, does he have against the Camerons - all of them.
And several more questions can be easily asked and answered by Bonzi, but, as I say, I have no idea what he has in store for us.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Oh, the joys of marking exam papers

Athena N's picture

It's been a while since my last stint as a university lecturer (and in a different field), but boy does this feel familiar. There are the students who are clearly interested in the subject, the ones who are interested in getting a degree, and then there are the ones where God only knows why they are taking the course (or at the university at all). Back when there were a couple who figured out what they were really interested in doing; I consider tutoring these dropouts as successful as the ones who graduated.

If James is okay

(and given his background we have to believe he is) Will he consider working for Cathy as too dangerous a job or will just put his prices up , Given his love of money no doubt it will be the second... But maybe he should think on... Money is not much use when you are pushing up daises!

Kirri