Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1648

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1648
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I returned to the kitchen where Simon was sitting looking rather fed up and an empty wine bottle sat alongside his empty glass. “I waited to see if you wanted some wine, but you took so long I drank it for you. Was good, too.”

“You’re too kind,” I said but my sarcasm was wasted on his less than sober self. I picked up the bottle and the glass and removed them from the table, I placed the bottle in the recycling box and the glass on the draining board. Next I made myself some tea and asked Simon if he wanted some more–he laughed and said he didn’t.

“You’ve got a lovely bum, missus.” He laughed again.

“Glad you like it, because it’s the only one I shall have.”

“It’s very nice and I’d like to kiss it all over,” he laughed and nearly fell off his chair.

“I think you ought to drink some water, mister.”

“Nah, ’s bad for you, unless iss got fermented grapes in it–ha, ha.” He was fast approaching inebriation, though I suspect he’d not understand the word the rate he was approaching it. He rose unsteadily from the table and went to the loo–I heard him sometimes hitting the centre of the pan and other times missing it, he called “oops,” every so often and laughed some more. Finally, he staggered back out of the cloakroom and into the dining room where he fell asleep on the couch.

I went in the loo and wiped where he’d splashed with a soapy cloth and then rinsed it. It wasn’t as bad as it might have been, and after washing my hands I went to drink my tea. Then it was chasing the kids to bed time, which meant I’d be reading them a story as well. I waited while they changed and cleaned their teeth, and they got into bed. I sat looking at the photo of Billie and felt sad, then as they trooped into bed, I concentrated on reading to them–another Gaby story. Trish seems to dominate what they have read to them–this time the hapless youth seems to have migrated to Germany where they all think he’s a girl.

Eventually they settled down and I kissed them and switched off the light. I checked on Jacquie, who was fast asleep. I hadn’t failed to notice she called me Mummy during her distress nor had I attempted to refute the title because at the that moment she needed a parental figure to ease her pain. That was my role, or so it seemed. One day I’ll learn that I don’t have to sort everyone’s problems, but for now, anyone in distress seems to trigger a helping response in me, which I presume is the same for most people, seeing as whales and dolphins do it as well. It could be a common behaviour amongst social animals. Somehow, I can’t see dormice having the wherewithal to do it, although the mothers lick their babies at times, so perhaps they have different ways of soothing each other’s pain. Nah, they just bugger off and ignore it–sometimes I wonder if that’s a better response, it certainly leads to less effort and complications. Then they have up to four babies at least once a year, so they don’t have time to give their offspring like we do. Mind you ours take a bit longer to mature–like twenty years.

Of course, being more sophisticated than lowly rodents, we have more problems and they tend to be more sophisticated too. I sat drinking another cup of tea while I mused on Jacquie’s situation. We’d won insofar as we’d almost certainly won the right to appeal against her conviction. That would of course excite press interest which would put her under pressure. I had a feeling she’d either be holed up in the house for some time or somewhere else. Wherever it was, she’d need lots of support. Although I suspect she’d be delighted to have the conviction quashed, it’s going to stir up all sorts of unfinished business and hence her need for support.

How we supply that support, I don’t know. I won’t be home every day after Easter because the university summer term begins. Okay, much of it will be exams and revision, I’ll still be quite busy and I’ll have to get Stella to help me. I wonder if Stephanie would be interested in coming over now and again–not to analyse but just to keep an eye on Jacquie in case she needs support.

I knew once I got back to teaching, my classes were going to be huge, unless the delays have weakened their enthusiasm. Last time I spoke to Daddy about it he didn’t seem to think so. How can I possibly deserve celebrity status? There are much more dedicated teachers there than I, but I’m the one who’s been on telly. Thankfully, the radio shows failed to materialise, so at least that wasn’t an additional problem.

I checked on Simon. He was deado, so I covered him with a blanket and left him sleeping on the couch. Julie came in as I was about to go to sleep. “What’s with Dad?”

“Oh he had a small run in with Stella after being a trifle insensitive with Jacquie. He got drunk and is sleeping it off. I’m going to bed. Night, darling.” She pecked me on the cheek and followed me up the stairs. I checked Jacquie, who was still asleep, then went to my own bed.

I felt so sorry for the kid–she’d been condemned by a system which dispenses law, but not necessarily justice, and no one seemed to ask why or how it could happen. That it still seems to is iniquitous, but according to the internet there are campaigns still active about ongoing cases, where protesters have themselves been sent to prison for contempt of court. I suspect that while the majority of judges probably do a very difficult job well, there are one or two who don’t and during a career that could ruin a lot of lives.

There was very little I could do to rectify things. I had no desire to be part of the legal system, and I suspect it would prevent me if I tried–to become a magistrate or prison visitor. I know of cases where transsexual women had lived in a female rá´le for decades, even having full legal status, but they hadn’t even been called for jury service let alone to do anything more. So I suspect the system has ways of keeping out ‘outsiders’, or those of us who are different. They tolerate rather than accept us providing we don’t get too demanding–then they tend to stamp on us quietly, with no witnesses. As I tend not to do things quietly, perhaps they leave me alone.

As for jury service–I have no desire to sit in judgment of my fellows–even though I know someone has to do it–I’m happy it’s someone else. I don’t balk on paying my taxes, so that’s my contribution–yeah, I know so do others, but it takes a few hospital porters or cleaners to equal my tax bill–and I don’t get anything more out of the system than they do, which is okay with me.

Sleep finally came because I woke up to find Trish poking me. “Where’s Daddy?”

“Uh–what? What time is it? Downstairs I think, why?”

“Have you been fighting again?”

“No, why?”

“Just wondered.”

“You coming in for a cwtch?” I asked her.

She duly clambered under the covers with me and we cuddled tightly together.

“Where’s Jacquie?” she asked.

“In her bed, why?”

“No she’s not, I just checked.”

“She’s not just in the bathroom?”

“No, I checked.”

“Oh bugger,” I said to myself and jumped out f the bed and started pulling on some clothes. I dashed downstairs only to bump into Daddy who was making his treacle like coffee.

“Have you seen Jacquie?” I asked him.

“Aye, she’s oot wi’ ma dug, why?”

“Oh, okay–no reason–I’m just concerned for her.”

“Aye, Simon went wi’ ’er.”

Now that did suprise me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Simon pitching in?

Maybe Simon is attempting to make up for his insensitive size 12 boots? Jacqui has a lot to face and needs whatever assistance she can get.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1648

Simon and Jacquie are bonding, which should please Cathy

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Kiki to the rescue!

OK, maybe not quite, but she does provide a convenient excuse for Simon and Jacquie to have an informal chat without involving the rest of the family. Kiki probably thinks the ongoing expansion of her human 'pack' is wonderful - especially as there are ever-increasing numbers of people to fuss over her, feed her, and take her for walkies!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's true Angie.

Ang, I have been personally involved with two campaigners who have been sent to prison for protesting and campaigning about institutional abuse.

The first was Penny Mellor who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of victims wrongfully separated from their parents by corrupt doctors (Professor David Southall,) Now struck off.

And ...

the second campaigner was Robert Green, currently in Aberdeen prison for campaigning against the Scottish courts and the Scottish judges. He exposed the paedophiles who go very high up the Scottish legal system and for doing that, he was sentenced to a year in prison for distributing TRUE leaflets about paedophiles in the Scottish establishment.

Your paragraph

That it still seems to is iniquitous, but according to the internet there are campaigns still active about ongoing cases, where protesters have themselves been sent to prison for contempt of court. I suspect that while the majority of judges probably do a very difficult job well, there are one or two who don’t and during a career that could ruin a lot of lives.

Is true in every respect except one small one, your qualifier 'according to the internet' detracts from the rightful force this paragraph should legitimately carry.

The little downs syndrom girl Holly Griege was repeatedly raped by carers from the age of six to thirteen. This has been accepted as true by the Scottish courts and Holly has even recieved compensation, but NOBODY has ever been brought to book because some of her abusers were judges in Scotland. Holly is deemed an 'unreliable witness' because she was very young and suffers from Downs Syndrome. The legal experts knew this when they chose her as a victim.

Robert green is now sitting in Aberdeen prison while peadophiles caught with tens of thousands of pornographic paedophile picturse on their computers get a few months community service.

This stuff was going on in 1958 (to me.) and it still goes on today.

The only reason I have not been actively campaigning for the last fifty years is because I have been away at sea for many of those years and anyway, I couldn't face it.

Honestly, Angie.

The abuse is true!!!

bev_1.jpg

Introspection is good for Cathy

Lets her examine her motivations and actions. Now Simon going off with Jacquie and the dog seems a bit out of character to me. Is he really feeling guilty? Is it morning?

Oh, my....

One wonders how Simon managed to wake up...

I do wonder how the walk will go... Of course the four legged walker will probably do well... Question is whether the pair of two leggers do as well. Sounds like a walk that might be fun to "listen in" on. But, I'm not one to drop eves. :-)

Thank you,
Anne

Gitting away with it.

As long as there is an general acceptance of manhood being measured by how much you can get away with, a better world may be hard to reach. IMHO The split in our civilization runs along the line of most men living as if it is still the Ice age, and the immoral minority who are the leaders hungering for there to be another Dark Age. Women and enlightened men' for the most part, have gentled the world by looking forward using the Liberty that has been gained over the last 100 years to create a better world. I find it interesting how there is no problem accepting destruction and injustice as being ok and the norm that should be rigorously enforced. But flourishing and Justice needs to be labeled as unreal not interesting, imposable or just plane wrong. In the words of the first peoples leader Tacumsa " To see the true heart of a people, look how they treat there children, women, elders and those who are in need." What I see in our modern society scares me.
Michel WhiteWolf

How was the elders of the First people Judged as savages, and there murders judged as civilized?

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Bike 1648

Your comments on kids are so accurate. When someone mentions something like she's pregnant. We're gonna have a kid, my response is usually something like Congratulations. If you make it the first 25 years, you almost got it knocked. Do you know why babies are so cute and cuddly? It's so the parents don't kill them at birth. Ha!

Cathy was not the only..

one to be concerned when Jacquie was not where she expected her to be... Hopefully though Jacquie can beat whatever demons have been left by the people who abused her ... Easy it will not be, But as long as she stays with Cathy then she has more than a good chance of getting through and enjoying her life with a freedom she perhaps once never thought was possible...

Kirri

Simon is a good man,

and he does care about people. He is probably trying to help. I just hope he isn't trying to get her to testify before she is ready.