Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1740

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1740
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Tom arrived home followed by Julie, whom I asked Tom to brief about our visitor. She gasped then ran upstairs to change. I hope she didn’t over do the mascara, especially if we all start crying.

The girls were in fairly tidy clothes and had put their hair in ponytails, Danny was in a funny mood, about which I’d speak to him later–did something go on in school? Despite his mood, he did go and change into something without holes in the knees and elbows–his usual attire for scruffing about the house. He went off to do his homework until I called him for dinner.

I asked Trish and Livvie to set the table–they had to extend it, we used the dining room instead of the kitchen. While they were doing that, I knocked up a quick fruit salad after checking we had some cream in the fridge. The casserole was smelling quite tasty by the time Simon and Sammi arrived, whom I sent off to change immediately, as it was after half past six.

Sammi was a bit hurt by my seemingly dismissive attitude towards her big day, but Si cottoned on and followed her upstairs to explain that she could tell me later about her day in London. They’d only just returned downstairs before Geraint arrived.

They weren’t quite identical twins, Geraint was broader and had blond hair, but they were certainly very similar. Tom introduced me as his daughter, and Simon as his son in law. I then got to introduce the children and our recent additions. I started with Danny who nodded and then went off to finish his homework. Then, Trish, Livvie and Mima. After that came Jacquie who brought Catherine and Sammi who led Puddin’ and carried Fiona. Finally, Julie made an appearance looking very smartly casual in a pair of short shorts, leggings and a top which left little to the imagination. Simon rolled his eyes and Geraint’s almost came out on stalks.

“I can’t believe these are all your children?” he said to me.

“They’re not really, we got a deal in Tesco, buy one get one free–we were into bulk buying at the time.” Simon took him off to explain what was what as I returned to the kitchen and sorted the meal.

Dinner was two courses, main and sweet. The main was the casserole with new potatoes, baby carrots, broccoli and petite pois. Conversation seemed less than usual during the eating process. Julie was fairly quiet too, so I did wonder if Si had a word with her. I mean flirting with someone who’s here because of a bereavement is a bit immature and she’s not a kid any more.

This time, I was dressed very conservatively in pair of tidy jeans–red ones–with a red floral shirt and a black cardi on top–for the time of year, the temperatures were pants.

Simon was in slacks with an open necked shirt and Tom was wearing an ancient sweater and corduroy trousers, both of which had seen better days.

“So this little character is my niece?” Geraint bounced Fiona on his knee and she giggled.

“I’d be a little careful about getting her too excited after eating,” I cautioned but he carried on and she threw up all over him, which he did take notice of–I mean it’s a well known fact that baby sick eats holes in designer jeans. I let Jacquie take the baby off to clean her up while I offered a cloth and towel to Geraint to clean himself up.

When he came back to the table I served coffee–he’d eaten his share and had a glass of very nice red wine, but declined a second because he was driving. The younger children dispersed without Trish asking him some complicated question about quantum physics–thank goodness–because I would have intervened and sent her on her way.

It was now that we got to the nitty gritty, and second cup of coffee. “Why d’you think Gareth was killed?” he asked.

“I don’t know, what theories d’you have?” I asked back.

“Was it a robbery that went wrong? The police seem very cagey to say anything.”

“I’ll share what I know from a police source–he was dead before the explosion, he’d been bashed on the head. The explosion wasn’t gas it was dynamite and quite what they were trying to disguise, I have no idea. But t strikes me as too great a coincidence that Stella and the girls were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes the night before. I think someone was determined to kill him and also Stella and the girls.”

“They nearly got Cathy, too.”

“What?” gasped Geraint.

“She went in to check the girls and realised something was wrong and carried them out, she collapsed herself in the car.”

“Bloody hell, who are these maniacs?”

“We don’t know. We have suspicions but they may be unfounded, I have someone working on the case now–except he didn’t turn up for a meeting he’d requested.”

“So they could have got him too?”

“They could, but he’s quite experienced at handling himself. He might just have gone off after a lead and not been able to contact me since. I sincerely hope so.”

“Who’s your suspect?”

“I don’t think I can really say at the moment, because it’s nothing more than a suspicion.”

“But if your man disappeared, isn’t it looking more suspicious?”

“Possibly–but we don’t know that do we?”

“Is this James, Mummy?” asked Julie.

“Yes.”

“I hope he’s alright, he’s nice, even if he is gay.”

Geraint went rather red but said nothing.

Julie continued oblivious, “All the best ones are either spoken for or gay,” she sighed, “Are you spoken for, Geraint?” she asked and I nearly died of embarrassment.

He didn’t just blush he positively glowed with embarrassment.

“Leave the poor man alone,” I said firmly.

She shrugged, “Anyone want more coffee?” she asked standing by the table.

“Not for me, darling, I’ll be up half the night,” I declined her offer.

“Not for me,” said most, except Simon who offered his cup instead. Julie shook her head and went off to make him a fresh cup.

“I’d better be off, I’ll let you know about funeral arrangements,” Geraint stood up from the table.

“Are you going to see Stella?” I asked.

“I ought to, I suppose. Is she up to it, I’d heard she was quite ill.”

“She was going to marry the man, I think she ought to be consulted about the funeral, don’t you?”

“Would you come with me? I’m not very good at dealing with upset women.”

“What, all those trolley dollies on your planes–don’t they ever get upset?” asked Simon a touch too disingenuously for my liking–after all, when he upsets a member of his staff, he doesn’t sort out the mess, his secretary does.

“We have a head steward or stewardess for that, I just drive the thing.”

“I’ll have to see if I can get finished early tomorrow and I’ll meet you at the hospital.” I looked across to Tom, who nodded. “D’you have a mobile number?”

Geraint gave me business card with his number on it and I thanked him then saw him off. Then I had to listen to Sammi and her day in London, and afterwards find out why Danny was a bit off at tea. Perhaps I should have had another coffee.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lots of strangeness going on

Hope Cathy takes time to listen to Sammi. Important for her mummy to show interest in her accomplishments.

Hmm.... what's going on with Danny.

Geraint? Is there something strange here?

Thank you for 145 dozen episodes

There are too many possibilities to sort through at the mo so I have to say that Cathy may very well should be on her guard right now and maybe have support on hot standby in case of an unexpected incursion of enemies, especially after Stella comes back, at least for a while I guess.

It seems to be hinted at the Geraint is probably gay so Julie is gonna be disappointed once again ;)

Kim

Possibillities

I have to agree with the previous comment. There is too much going on now to even think about more than who did what and why.

Keep us guessing, Bonzi!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Strangeness a foot.

This may just be another normal bad time after some bad time but there are to many things unexplained at this moment.

RED alert incoming strangeness may be deadly.

Well that is what my warning systems are telling me. Catherine Needs to consult her 6th 7th 8th senses to help dodge this one.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1740

Wondering how Sammi's day went. And if Geriant knows anything about Gareth's demise.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Uh-Oh

I don't think he's who they think he is. I think he's in with the ones that killed Gareth, and if Cathy goes with him, she may wind up in the same place as James. I think he contacted Tom, to try for an "in" to pum,p them for info and finish the job.

Twists and turns

I do hope that Geraint really is Gareth's brother... I'd hate to find out he were actually just someone who resembled Gareth and was trying to get his hands on Gareth's money (perhaps in cahoots with the guys that killed Gareth)... and was fishing for how much Cathy and company actually knew... Nah, Ang would't pull THAT one on us, would she?

There were bits that made me wonder if Geraint were gay, too...

Then, Ang keeps tossing bits about Danny at us. Perhaps he's met a girl... Or...

Thanks, I look forward to seeing how things sort out.

Annette