Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1632

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1632
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Puddin’s birthday had come and gone as had the rest of February–goodness have we done a sixth of the year already? I must sound like some old biddy, or maybe time does go faster when you’re busy. Being bored doesn’t seem to be an option in my life, though sometimes it might be nice to remember what it felt like.

Actually, no it wouldn’t, because it usually meant I was waiting for my parents to go out or go to bed so I could do some sewing or change my clothes. I daringly wore a nightdress for a couple of weeks then had it confiscated while it was drying. It was only a cheap one I bought in Peacocks for about a fiver, but it was another hit by the Stasi on my freedom. I didn’t buy another until I went away to Sussex and I left it locked in my locker in the uni when I went home for holidays.

Puddin’s party–she was three–crikey, I remember her being born–was it three years ago? Must have been if she’s three. She’s a proper little girl now and talks all the time, occasionally still doing her human tape recorder act, she occasionally plays with Mima and her dolls; though she also likes drawing and colouring things with her crayons–like the wallpaper in the lounge. Took us hours to get it off and that was with a steam cleaner thing.

Her party, oh yeah, well she goes to nursery three times a week so we had half a dozen three year olds racing round the place, treading jelly and chocolate biscuits into the carpets and generally running amok while their parents chatted amongst themselves or looked on–presumably happy it was someone else’s home that was being trashed–and these vandals were little girls–so much for the fairer sex.

It took us all day to clear up from that before the place felt like mine again. It’s not a palace but it’s relatively clean and tidy unless the kids are home. Danny leaves his bag anywhere, I fell over it once when I was walking backwards from the fridge with a tray of ice cubes. He got a piece of my mind that day.

So Monday the twenty sixth of February arrived and the girls were so excited they were going to meet with Jacquie when they got home. I reminded Trish she had football practice and she sulked all the way to school. The other two go as well but they enjoy it–I think Trish does too but she pretends she doesn’t. She hasn’t mentioned stopping yet at any rate and is still their top scorer with six goals from five matches. That’s on more than ‘Stanley Matthews’, who’s got five and a sore toe.

I settled Jacquie in when I got back from the school run. I showed her where everything was and gave her a rundown of my usual schedule about changing beds and what I cooked and so on.

She’d let drop she had a provisional licence and after lunch, she went out for a driving lesson I’d arranged for her. Her face was a picture when the instructor came to collect her. I left to get the three mouseketeers before she got back.

The drive home was a nightmare with three over excited schoolgirls bouncing on the back seat. Trish had scored another goal–apparently it wasn’t a practice but a match against another girl’s team. They won, one nil. Trish was full of herself and the other two were quite excited too and wound her up even more.

I parked in the drive and locked the car doors before we got out. “Right, girls, i don’t want you rushing in there and upsetting people. Go in put your stuff away–Trish put your washing in the utility room–I want you all to go up and change and once you’ve done that I’ll introduce you to Jacquie. Anyone who tries to make a short cut will be sent upstairs to stay there until dinner. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Mummy,” said three dissident voices.

I had suggested Jacquie should hide in her room when she heard us coming back to give me a chance to control the rabble. Of course, Danny was first home and he thought she was hot. Mind you he thinks anything in skirts is hot, including his older sister–I suppose she is come to think of it, a very pretty girl with delightful figure, which since her surgery has developed even more. I hope I don’t sound jealous–nah, I don’t really want to wear those short-shorts and tights, even though I have reasonable legs.

The girls did as they were told and then assembled in the kitchen for a drink and a slice of pineapple. Then I sat them down and went up to get Jacquie, she said she felt quite nervous–Julie had had told her about our very own Isaac Newton, when she’d taken her to collect the bags she wanted to send here.

I led Jacquie down to the kitchen where our shoal of piranhas were waiting to strip the flesh of her bones. To my astonishment the girls acted very politely introducing each other as I asked them. Livvie’s introduction of Trish was really funny and had them all giggling and me laughing out loud as well.

“This is my slightly older sister, Trish. She is very, very intelligent–in fact Mummy thinks she has a bigger brain than a blue whale–which is why she smells slightly of salt water and plankton. Did you know they eat krill and stuff–though of course Trish doesn’t–she likes chocolate and roast beef–not at the same time, of course. We’re both seven. Trish likes to ask awkward questions, so Mummy says, it’s just her way of showing her intellectual–is that right?–superiority. Mummy says she’s a clever dick.”

“This, girls, is Jacquie, who has agreed to help us out while she waits to get to college. She’s very nice but is still learning the ropes, so please be patient and help her to learn where things are kept and how we do our routine. Anyone who tries to make fun of her or takes advantage of her not knowing everything, will face my wrath.”

“What’s roth, Mummy?” asked Livvie.

“It’s what God does with men every so often,” quipped Trish.

“Yes, the Dies Irae. But I warn you he’s got nothing on me.”

“No, Mummy, it’s nothing to do with Desiree. It’s about God doing a hissy.”

Jacquie snorted and I shook my head, Livvie seems to have picked up Trish’s ability to mangle words.

“No, Liv, Dies means God, and Irae means rage, fury or wrath.” I wrote it down for her.

“Dies early, funny language Latin.” She muttered to herself–I had to agree the way she read it.

Later on that evening, I asked Jacquie how she felt after her first day. “After the way you treated me on Friday I shouldn’t have been surprised by the way you treat your children. You show them so much love yet there’s some discipline there too. I think I’m going to enjoy working for you.”

“Oh good, I’m looking forward to having you working with me, too.” We finished our cups of tea and she went off to bed to watch her telly and I went to my study to do some more survey work.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can attest...

I can attest that little girls can make as big (if not bigger) mess than little boys. Ho boy can they! I've also come to the conclusion that the volume of the kids increases geometrically based on the number of kids - not linearly.

Nice of the kids introducing each other. I'd have loved to hear (okay read) the OTHER two intros!

Thanks,
Anne

At least Jacquie isn't scared off yet :)

If I were approaching a prospective employer I would want to find out as much about them as well.

Oh well. Maybe Jacquie will be more appreciative than Jenny and be what Cathy really needs at home.

Kim

Appreciation

Jenny was an 'ordinary' employee, who was almost an auxillary member of the family until she met her second boyfriend (the first was a Navy chap), who irretrievably changed her. Caroline was a former school friend, while the Latvian may have been the woman rescued way back in the early chapters.

Jacquie, however, has been to proverbial hell and back, and is immediately appreciative of the chance to turn her life around - not just through the job but also driving lessons, a college course (if she's aiming for Uni she'll probably be doing a trio of A levels, which will take around two years to complete) and someone who actually believes the reality of what happened back then.

Add all that up, and you've got a similar 'origin story' to most of the children Cathy's adopted. Oh, and at least in part because she probably still regards herself as 'damaged goods', she probably has little to no interest in securing a lover. I reckon she's a keeper - and may even eventually regard Cathy as a substitute maternal figure...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Have Question?

I have a Question? If the the one of the babies is three years old, how can Trish still be only Seven shouldn't she be Nine or Ten by Now? Great story and keep up the great work! Richard

Richard

Um - no,

Angharad's picture

Trish will be 8 on 25th March and Livvie in April. I know I do make mistakes, which is partly down to stupidity and partly because I write this quickly and post it. If I took my time, you'd only get one a week if you were lucky.

Angharad

Sufficiently cheeky. :)

I shouldn't be surprised. This is the woman who allows Stella in the house without a strait jacket. Well, if one trusts the blue light, then I suppose she has sufficient cause to believe that Jacquie has grown up and has been wrongfully punished.

There is a surprise around every corner in this story and I'm lovin it.

Gwendolyn

Give Jacquie

about a week and she will be as bad at the other inhabitants of Cameron Towers, And you know what? I think she will enjoy every minute of it :))

Kirri

Sorry I'm late.

Sorry I'm late, real life and all that, belated birthday bash to accommodate friends all in one party. Then acting disgracefully (as you do when down deep and dirty), in a seedy dive in cosmopolitan Cardiff.Late home and just surfaced now to comment on Bike.

Nice to see that the three stooges behaved themselves and that Jacquie seems, at least on the surface, to like the kids. Any person would be nervous about meeting such a 'tribe'

Nice chapter and enjoyable reading.

Thanks Angie.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

They are waiting, watching...

For their chance to pounce on Jacquie when she has a bad day. That is, after all, what kids do best.