Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1731

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1731
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We left word with Julie as to what we were doing, grabbed a coat and my bag and were gone–using my car in case we needed to bring the girls back with us. By the time we got to their house, the ambulance was just departing, the blue lights flashing as it went.

Gareth was standing in the doorway with an expression like a stunned mullet. “How is she?” I asked but he couldn’t tell me.

I told Simon to take him to the hospital, presumably the QA while I waited with the girls, who were presumably in bed. He was in no state to drive, however, they took his car and left mine at the house. If the worst came to the worst, I could at least take the girls home with me and collect Simon later.

I called home to check on things there, and Julie and Jacquie had everything under control, with Tom’s help. I told them to tell Tom that Gareth was unlikely to be in work for a day or two, unless Stella’s condition improved dramatically, assuming she was still alive–something we didn’t know for sure. Hopefully, Simon would call when he’d ascertained the state of play.

I went and checked on the children, they were both asleep and breathing normally. I checked to see if there was anything I could do while I was there. I found a hamper of washing, and I could see the machine worked, so I sorted it and put the machine on wash. It was sure to be done before I had to leave.

While I was watching the machine churn, I ran through the scenarios that I could see happening. Number one, Stella would recover and take over her life and those of her children again. In the next, I wondered what would happen if she died. It was a worst case situation, and either Gareth would attempt to bring up his daughter and Puddin’ or he’d dump them on me. What would happen after that, I had no idea. If necessary, I’d raise them, I seemed to acquire children like other people collect stamps.

Something occurred to me, which was probably pure ego, but just for a moment imagine this was all meant to happen. Okay, it’s completely crazy, but what if the universe needed me to be a foster mother to many children and some immature adults? Take it a stage further, how could it best make me available as a mother for children other than my own? Make sure I couldn’t have any–so make me a barren woman. Perhaps not the most straightforward way of doing that could be to make me a transsexual woman, who was female looking enough to attract a mate who could finance the necessary material things, and also someone who was soft and generous enough to allow me to do it. Then all we need is children–and so far there doesn’t seem to be a shortage.

I mused on this for a few moments before I pooh-poohed it and rational thinking returned. It was all simply coincidence and like all humans because we’re programmed to see patterns even where they don’t exist, we see them even though they don’t exist–oh well, no worse than seeing gods in everything, and they don’t exist either.

I looked at the clock, it was about an hour since they went off to the hospital. It would probably take them half an hour to get there and then they’d have to wait while the medics did their bit.

I switched on the telly and sat watching some mind numbing programme about looking for aliens in space. I don’t actually believe there are any, leastways, not round this part of the galaxy. I can’t believe we’re the only show in town, especially if we were just here because of a cosmic accident, it should have happened elsewhere. But then as Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal, suggested, the conditions for life as they are here, are in such a narrow range of environmental factors, it is possible that life on any other planet is much reduced if it’s a form like those on this one. So we could be more special than we thought, but not as special as the god-squad would have us believe.

I closed my eyes as I worked through these abstract ideas–none of them were worth wasting brain cells on, but they were more interesting than looking at endless pictures of radio telescopes. What if there is life elsewhere but it’s no more evolved than a slime mould? They are hardly going to send us pictures and fly spaceships to meet us, are they?

All this talk of UFOs and aliens, grey ones and white ones or little green men from Mars–no not the chocolate bar; is pure nonsense. We’re alone on the cosmic zoo floating round the galaxy, that we call earth. I don’t feel upset by that possibility, in some ways, I feel secure. I was obviously affected by HG Wells, War of the Worlds and I don’t mean anything other than the book paying no heed of Tom Cruise or Orson Welles. I read it when I was a teen and found it an astonishing piece of writing, as was Nineteen Eighty Four Orwell’s great dystopian novel. That depressed me so much I’ve avoided the genre ever since, even such regarded works as Margaret Atwood’s, The Handmaid’s Tale.

I was well into my reverie when I thought I heard a noise. I immediately jumped up. I could hear the boiler–obviously, I had washing on, it was using hot water. Standing there I felt very strange and my skin felt flushed. I went to walk and almost fell down. What was going on? I felt sick and struggled to the kitchen, where I vomited in the sink.

Catching sight of myself in the window, the reflection against the night outside, I could see that I looked very pink. We hadn’t had any sun recently and I hadn’t exerted myself though I had just been sick. My head felt muzzy and my limbs difficult to move, like I was trying to walk through treacle.

I felt in need of air, and with a struggle staggered to the door and eventually worked out how to open it. I stepped out into the clean cool air and breathed deeply. My head began to clear a little. It felt like someone had poisoned me. I was sick again and stumbling against the conservatory door, I caught the back of my hand and it began to bleed. Goodness, my blood was very red–must be the light from the conservatory.

I walked uncertainly back to the kitchen to wash the cut, and under the fluorescent tube of the kitchen light, I could see my blood was very red, a cherry red. Must be my eyes are going funny. Then a shiver went down my spine–carbon monoxide–shit, the girls.

I looked for the control for the heating and couldn’t find them to switch off the boiler. I then stumbled up the stairs to find the girls and to my relief found they were still breathing. I flung open the windows and picked up Fiona and carried her down to my car and laid her on the front seat, wrapped in her duvet. Then I repeated the exercise with Puddin’ placing her on the back seat. Then I left the back door wide open and went to sit in my car, borrowing the blanket I found in the conservatory. Finally, I called Simon and asked him to send help, before I passed out.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quick thinking

With all the knowledge Catherin has she is very nimble on her mental feet. She just saved her family again using her knowledge even when she is suffering the effects of CO poisoning. Now I think things may get be interesting good wind up.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Strange dreams

I've had several dreams where a bell awakened me, and I know it was not the door bell. Can't figure out what my gray matter is got up to. Thankfully, I have not had the dream where men have come to kill me recently. They used to tell me they'd come to kill me and I told them that I had been waiting for them. Can't say if that mean I was ready to have a good scrap with them of if I wanted them to end it all.

Nice epi.

Gwendolyn

Phew!

Very scary, but a perfectly rational explanation for the events at the household. The boiler was leaking CO, which presumably would have been concentrated downstairs. So, just as Cathy felt ill after a time in its presence, Stella and the girls quickly did as well. Gareth spent most of the day at the uni so wouldn't have been affected to the same extent. Stella, being an adult, would have spent more time downstairs, so would have been exposed to more CO so had worse effects.

As well as fumigating the place, someone needs to place a call to British Gas to service the heating system and if necessary unblock the flue and/or replace the boiler.

So we're still in a limbo of sorts in that we don't know Stella's fate as yet - only that (mercifully!) it wasn't self-inflicted, so if she does recover she presumably would keep custody. However, Gareth will probably be worth keeping an eye on over the next few weeks, as because the house was his it's very likely he'll blame himself and may even try to call the wedding off by proclaiming he's unfit for the role of husband / dad. Which of course could potentially set Stella off again...

Assuming they both get out of this in one piece, they're both likely to be fragile, so it might still be prudent for Cathy to sort out getting the old stable block converted for use as a crisis bolt-hole for the family: able to be largely independent from Cathy's brood, but within a few yards walking / running distance and with easy access to Jacquie to keep on top of the chores.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Oh, my...

It doesn't just rain there, does it!

I wonder if the carbon monoxide had anything to do with Stella's problem... And Gareth was outside more - or some such - so less affected. Lucky the kids appear to be okay.

Thanks for more of the story (I think...)

Annette

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1731

So, looks as if we know what zapped Stella. Hope Cathy's Blue Light will keep her safe.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wow, such an unexpected

Wow, such an unexpected twist, Ang! Good one!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

At least Cathy still had enough alertness to recognize what was happening, the cause, and what to do about it.

I tend to believe with a previous comment that this is not something Stella self inflicted, but that her condition is the result of the Carbon Monoxide. Next question is how much Stella is affected by it.

++VOTE++ ++VOTE++

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Seems like Cathy's at least

dealt with the issue even if she passed out. Wonder if we're about to see another visit from the goddess. Would seem like an opportune time. Would be nice if Cathy were reminded that she's the hero, not the villain.

War of the Worlds

Of the movie versions of the H.G. Wells story, I prefer the George Pal version best. And, yes, I've read the original story several times, but still enjoy a good movie. Hugs and love, Cindy

The thing about

Carbon Monoxide poisoning that never fails to amaze me is how many people fail to take steps to protect themsives in their own home... For a few pounds it is so easy to protect yourself against this deadly silent killer...

Hopefully Stella will by now have had Oxygen and she will be well on the way to recovery , The worry is though what the delayed effects of the poisoning might be .... Just a quick look at any medical sites will tell you that whilst any immediate problems are gone the long terms effects could be more than a little worrying and to quote Wiki "One of the major concerns following acute carbon monoxide poisoning is the severe delayed neurological manifestations that may occur. Problems may include difficulty with higher intellectual functions, short-term memory loss, dementia, amnesia, psychosis, irritability, a strange gait, speech disturbances"... Given Stella's past history that is very worrying indeed...

Kirri

Just so insidious and deadly.

Lucky, lucky Cathy, to realise it before it overtook her. Lucky the children were still breathing though they will wake up with a disasterous headache. So it seems the boiler is at fault. Carbon monoxide poisoning is just sooo-sooo sneaky. Let's hope Stella is not brain damaged if she recovers.

Good chapter Ang, Bike is becoming like a soap insofar as 'important lessons' are handed down to us lesser dummies. (Well me, anyway.)

Still lovin' it an' learnin'.
Hugs.

Bev.
OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg