Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1619

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1619
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

That night I couldn’t sleep. As usual my problem didn’t affect Simon who snored like an angry lawnmower. I lay there for ages feeling my elbow was bruised after bashing his ribs so much. I tossed and turned then finally, fed up with Simon’s impression of a chainsaw, I slipped out of bed and after pulling on my dressing gown over my lilac coloured winceyette with purple bunnies–don’t, they were a present from Julie–I went downstairs.

The house was quiet apart from the sound of the fridge and the snoring coming from my room and Tom’s. I quickly made a cuppa and took it with me into my study where I snaffled a couple of my favourite biscuits. I was wide awake so I did some work on the mammal survey. My collation was coming together quite nicely and the recent mention of a dormouse in a Lyme Regis teashop–did it come from one of the teapots–a la Alice in Wonderland/down the Rabbit Hole. I doubt it but quite whence it came, no one seems to know. It’s hopefully safe now in a rescue place in Devon.

I didn’t use it as a record except as an eccentric entry, besides which Dorset seems quite reasonably populated as do parts of Somerset. I sipped my tea and felt a cold draught behind me. Goose pimples rose on my arms and I gave an involuntary shiver. It felt as if the door had been opened and cold air was coming in.

Given I’d been at a funeral that day and thinking about the recently deceased relative, I immediately chided myself for my superstition–there are no such things as ghosts or whatever, except in dreams, where obviously they could be my unconscious mind trying to sort things in symbolism or metaphor or whatever it used to file my thoughts and experiences for the day.

Besides if it was Great Aunt Una, I knew she’d never hurt me so I had no reason to feel fear. See, just rationalise these things and they go away. I went back to my cuppa and my survey–could I really get all this together in another year or so and offer it for my doctoral dissertation. The difficult bit was going to be correlating climate change with populations of different species and making predictions based upon that change. I’d been using some software for modelling things, my main subject being the dormouse but I was also going to be doing some stuff on harvest mice and the brown rat–how’s that for a contrast?

The black rat–Rattus rattus, the one blamed for spreading the black death–yeah it entered via Weymouth, so they say–so the Olympics will be the first time anything has happened there since the thirteenth century. Anyway, the Asian or black rat is a relative rarity here, it’s the larger brown rat, Rattus norvegicus which we have in surplus, like most European countries. They say, you’re never more than a few yards from a rat wherever you are in England–I expect they mean the brown variety of Rattus rather than the two legged sort which seem to be on the increase.

They carry all sorts of bugs including leptospirosis or Weil’s disease which is a very nasty bug indeed and can wipe out your liver and kidneys. Ironically, the latest idea on the black death is that it wasn’t carried by rats or their fleas because it spread to quickly–so it was probably human to human contact. So give a rat a bad name and...Bugger, that cold draught was back again. It felt as if someone had opened the back door or something.

I turned round but my door was closed, but just in case one of the outside doors was open–though I don’t know how or why it should be–I thought I’d better check–if one was open, who had opened it? Were we being burgled–bugger, my mobile was upstairs in my bag. I eased the chair away from my desk and stepped on tip toe to the fake grate I had and picked up the poker that was leant on the hearth–it wasn’t fake–the poker I mean, the hearth was. Holding it firmly, I quietly opened the door and almost silently walked along the hallway towards the door which exits from the extension to the back yard/garden. I could see in the moonlight that it was closed and a quick check showed it was locked.

I stole back along the hallway and into the kitchen opening the door as quietly as I could, now it felt very cold and my heart started to thump rapidly in my chest, the pounding in my neck and ears almost deafening. This could be the door that was open–I flung open the kitchen door and switched on the light, brandishing my weapon, a pound of Sheffield steel. There was no one there, yet the room felt cold, unusually cold.

I walked through and checked the back door, it was locked and bolted as well. I looked at the temperature display on the fridge, which gives the ambient temperature as well as the fridge and freezer. It was registering five degrees–that was colder than the forecast had suggested. I shrugged and turned to go and finish my survey stuff and close down the computer when I was confronted by a figure in the doorway.

For a moment it seemed as if the bunnies in my jammy trousers might need to do some coprophagy so great was my surprise. I froze and stared at the person before me. She, yes it was a female, stood about five feet ten and she looked keenly at me as if she was examining me. She was wearing some sort of long dress, it looked very old fashioned and had some sort of pattern on it but her skin looked very pale, deathly pale and her eyes had no sparkle in them and were a very pale blue.

She seemed to look me up and down and I wondered what the hell was going on, I seemed unable to move, although I could feel my fingers gripping the poker so tightly it was hurting them. A cold sweat formed on my brow and on my lip–it was so cold, yet my Aga was working I could hear it.

“Aye ye’ll dae,” she muttered to herself and her speaking seemed to break my trance.

“I’ll do for what? What are you doing in my home?” I asked in a voice which was barely above a croak, “Who are you?”

She looked at me calmly and smiled, “Ye’ll dae,” she said and faded before my eyes. I shook myself and dashed to the hallway, there was no one there. I switched on the lights and tore up and down the hall, then realising my children were upstairs I raced up the stairs and into their bedroom, then into Danny’s room and finally up to Julie’s. I could find no intruder anywhere.

People can’t just disappear–physics doesn’t allow them to–yet she seemed physical, albeit rather pale. I ran down to the kitchen and the temperature was sixteen degrees, much more like it.

I switched on the kettle and made myself a drink, as I was doing so Tom lumbered out and I nearly brained him with the poker.

“Whit fa are ye daein’ oot here, d’ye ken whit time it is?”

“I couldn’t sleep and came down to do some work, I thought I felt a cold draught and wondered if we had a door or window open, came into the kitchen and as I was about to leave I saw an old woman standing pretty well where you are, Daddy. She said ‘Ye’ll dae,’ and then she disappeared.”

“Whit d’ye mean, she disappeared?”

“She faded before my very eyes.”

“Whit’d she look like?”

“She was about five ten, wearing a long dress, quite old fashioned looking, very pale skin, blue eyes but they looked dead–you know, no life in them.”

He chuckled, “Soonds like ye’ve seen the White Lady o’ Stanebury.”

“What? Don’t be silly, Daddy. Stanebury’s four hundred miles away.”

“Aye, but fro’ whit Henry telt me, she can appear anywhere tae Cameron lassies.”

“That has got to be the biggest load of haggis droppings I’ve ever heard.”

He roared with laughter and I had to ask him to be quiet or he’d wake the children. Then he asked me to make him some tea and we sat at the table and talked about my recent experience. I had to admit his explanation was as feasible as any I could think of, I’d speak with Henry when I got a chance. I wondered if Stella had seen her. I’d have to ask her tomorrow.

I cleared up, switched off my lap top and went off to bed where Simon’s warm body felt really good to cuddle against, and within a short time I was asleep.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1619

Can't help but believe that Tom and company are setting up Cathy for some reason.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good I suppose that Cathy has

met with a spirit's approval. Life certainly remains interesting.

Love it: She looked at me calmly and smiled, “Ye’ll dae,” she said and faded before my eyes... no ominous sounds or predictions. No theats or riddles. Just a simple evaluation, "You'll do." (at least I hope that's what she said)

OOOOh spooky

This really should be in a Halloween epi. It is interesting that Cathy is being visited by all these female spirits. Billie, the white lady Shekinah Lilith.

As for the snoring, I can soooo empathize. I lived in a two bedroom with my parents and brothers. So, guess who got to sleep with my parents?

However, both my parents are world class snorers and since I slept on a trundle bed between them ( guess no more sex for them ... sorry guys ) I heard both of them in stereo. I always wondered why I woke up like six times a night and why I was so tired the next day. I never had my own room till I was a lot older and when I finally found my own apartment.

Kim

Kim

The White Lady's Inspection

was wondering when the white Lady would drop in to check out the newest cameron woman its also nice that she'll Dae.

Well, she was warned

By Henry, if I remember rightly. It's probably in the archive somewhere.

Still loving it, Ang and the 2 four-legged tyrants. YKWIKR.

Susie

I dunno...

I dunno if I'd want any experiences like Cathy's to convince me that there's stuff going on that "modern science" hasn't managed to explain... Nope. Had enough of my own, I have. Don't need someone visiting.

Quite an interesting story... Perhaps Cathy SHOULD have called them Ghostbusters... Seeing as she's been visited by a ghost (and other apparition) now and again.

Thanks,
Anne

Haggis droppings.

Well, they're as rare as rocking horse shit.

Nice one Angie.

Still lovin' it.

Love and hugs.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Ghosties

kristina l s's picture

Good thing she was an approving one, I suspect the opposite might not be fun. Only ever met one... sorta, seemed harmless. Winceyette? Never heard of that... Wiki... oh okay, a sort of flannelette material. Live and learn huh.

Nice Ang and I am still absolutely amazed how you keep doing this, but don't stop huh.

Kris

I hate it when.

The dead don't stay that way and start wandering around like that. I think they just get bored and need a little fun, or is it a mission from ... Cue the scary music.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

EAFOB 1619 refers to 602

Yep her meeting the Lady of Stanebury was foretold in episode 602. Below...
===========================================
...

“Quite, but the story was the ghost of the old lady came back to get her, and we have a tradition that if any wife of the laird, doesn’t do her job properly and fairly, and that especially means looking after the old and sick on the estate, the old lady comes back to haunt them until they do.”

“How does Monica fare with irate spooks?”

“Very well, she actually does her job very well, in that regard, very caring towards our staff and tenants.”

“You make it sound feudal,” I said rolling my eyes.

“Futile at times might be a better description, but yes it is like a time warp back to the Victorian era.”

“I suppose it’s quite entertaining, the old ghost story and skeletons in the cupboard.”

“No, it’s quite real, she visits every wife of the laird at least once to let them know she’s still around.”

“Come on, Henry, pull the other leg.”

“It’s true, Monica has seen her.”

“I’m a scientist, I don’t go for all this crap, sorry and all that. It’s mediaeval and this is the twenty first century.”

“Just remember, one day you’ll be the laird’s wife, the Lady of Stanebury, and she will come and see you, wherever you are. Monica saw her in Hampstead.”

...
=============================

I guess Cathy passed. Should be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Uh oh

I certainly hope this does not mean that Henry has passed on. Because Cathy does not become the Laird's wife until Simon becomes the Laird. And there are really only 2 ways to become the Laird. Either the previous Laird steps down (willingly or unwillingly) or the previous Laird dies.

Wow, a reference back a

thousand episodes. Glad Cathy's met her approval.

Nothing to say

That she won't be visited before the previous laird passes on.

S.

Bet

Does that mean that she lost the bet with Henry?

Ale have to say...

...being the Laird's wife can be whisky at times...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

classic episode

This was a classic episode Angh.

We have had The Woman in White, The Woman in Black, now we have The Pale Lady.

I am also glad the poor bunny pyjamas survived with no adrenaline accident.

Great fun, Thanks Angharad.

Love to All

Anne G.

Colourful ladies

When Cathy now turns on the radio, will she hear "The Lady in Red"? ;)

Martina

Or even

"All white now"?

S.

It's a...

Angharad's picture

...Free country.

A.

Angharad

I remembered the reference,

though I would not stand a chance of finding it. A very appropriate time for her so make the appearance. Now, how can this specter handle an angel? There might be a story in there somewhere.