Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1687

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1687
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Mummy, what are you buying Livvie for her birthday?” asked Trish.

I’d already bought her her present, a Wii. “It’s not until the twenty eighth.” I replied in sleepy fashion.

“That’s tomorrow, Mummy.”

Just then as if to ram home the date the wireless came on with John Humphrys saying, “It’s Friday 27th April, here are today’s headlines...”

“But it can’t be,” I wailed only to realise Simon had risen from the bed and gone to work without waking me. I switched off the radio alarm, I had no interest in the latest sleaze concerning the government or which one of them was heading for a fall this time.

I jumped out of bed and dashed into the shower, calling to Trish to get the others up. She obviously did because the shower got very crowded quite suddenly. I’m not sure that social services would approve of children being exposed to adult bodies, but they have to get some idea of how theirs will look in a few years time. Already, both Livvie and Trish, have little nubbins growing, so I reckon, Livvie will hit puberty in the next two or three years, with periods starting when she gets to six stones or 84 lbs. That might take a bit longer as she’s nowhere near that sort of weight.

I washed the girl’s hair and then after wrapping a towel round my own, did the same with them and told them to dry their bodies while I rubbed mine over with a towel. Then I rubbed a little moisturiser into all the bits I could reach and watched while they all did the same. I suppose this is partly how we learn, by imitation. I put some talc on my chest where my bra goes and they did the same giggling as they went. I sent them off to dress in their own room, while I rotted into mine and pulled on some clothes.

No one had asked if Livvie was having a party, so I wondered what to do. It was a bit late really. For some unusual reason Stella was up and wandering down the stairs when I came out of my room. I asked if she could do the three girl’s hair and after a sigh, she agreed. I rushed downstairs and found some party invitations in my desk drawer. Then over breakfast I asked her which five girls she’d like to invite. I scribbled their names on the invites and the envelopes. I also made a list so I’d remember if there was any dispute.

Then once I’d dumped them all in school, leaving Jacquie to look after Catherine, I dashed to Morrisons and began amassing things for a birthday party, including the DVD of Ice Age 3. Should keep them busy for an hour or so.

I had jellies and trifles, mini sausage rolls and finger rolls, cold meats and chocolate biscuits, crisps and lemonade–enough to make her whole class sick if they rush around like they usually do after eating it.

I got some extra games for the Wii for the girls to give her, a book I know she wanted from Danny, and a DVD from Gramps. Stella had told me she had some jewellery for her and I left Simon to come in with me on the Wii or get something himself. I texted him to remind him and he offered to pay for the party as his contribution. So I told him I’d chartered a private jet to watch an eclipse over New Zealand. I think it was just a bit too outlandish to be true. I should have gone for Northern lights over Iceland or Norway.

I got home at about midday and after packing all the stuff away, I set about making us some soup from some stock I had in the fridge, and a couple of chicken portions I’d bought precooked. About forty minutes later, Stella, Jacquie and the littlies were helping me eat it. I knew it would cause messy nappies, it always does but then so does spinach and chocolate yoghurt or whatever they stick in baby food these days. I make my own, I know what’s in it.

As we ate my mind went back to Andy Bond’s visit, I felt my tummy flip over, had we really caused someone’s death? I felt myself blushing.

“Having a hot flush, dearie?” teased Stella.

“Uh no, just swallowed a spoonful that was a bit warm.” I blushed even more then.

“Well, I won’t get them, will I?” declared Jacquie and Stella corrected her, as she could if ever she stopped her HRT.

“How’s that, then?” queried Jacquie.

“Well, HRT stands for hormone replacement therapy or treatment: in other words it replaces the hormones your body would be producing if it were functioning normally. So, a hot flushes are caused by hormones,or lack of them, you’ll probably get some effect when you stop taking them.”

“But that could be fifty years away?”

“Jacquie, I didn’t say it would be next week.” Stella threw me a look and I smiled back.

“This soup is rather good, Mummy,” commented Jacquie, switching the topic.

“Cathy makes excellent soup, don’t you?” replied Stella.

“They’re a bit basic but they fill a hole.”

“Well, Simon would eat a whole pot if you let him,” Stella suggested, and I decided I wouldn’t defend Simon against her–couldn’t find the energy.

“Are brothers and sisters always like this?” asked Jacquie.

“Like what?” demanded Stella.

“Running each other down, I noticed Daddy does it to you as well.”

“Fraid so, sibling rivalry can easily appear to be internecine,” I told her.

“What does that mean?”

“Like civil war, with large numbers of casualties.” I was glad Simon wasn’t here, he’d have tried to tell her it was an Italian football team.

I was trying to encourage her to read, but she seemed to have difficulties–I suppose she could be dyslexic or just lacking literacy skills beyond the basic, which could make her defensive in view that most of the children are above their age group. Even Danny had made great progress when he realised Livvie and Trish could show off and he could do nothing to stop them–except join them–so he began reading more and more. When I tucked him in at night, he wasn’t reading Proust or Kafka but he was at least working his way quite rapidly through JK Rowling’s, Harry Potter stories. I was delighted, especially when he told me he was enjoying it.

Of course, Trish had read them all in one night, pointed out all the mistakes and plot weaknesses and offered to write Miss Rowling to correct them. Nah, I’m only joking, it took her two nights. Seriously, Livvie read them and enjoyed them, Trish couldn’t be bothered, and just watched the films–we have the boxed set.

After lunch, I wrapped Livvie’s presents and wrote her card from Simon and me. Jacquie washed up and asked what she should give her. I suggested a box of sweets or something similar, as she doesn’t have a lot of money. So she slipped out while I fed Catherine a bit of breast milk. Having solid food doesn’t stop her enjoying her milk I just wish she wouldn’t keep chewing my nipples which occasionally get quite sore. Stella grumbled about something similar with Fiona, so we bought some nipple cream between us.

Jacquie came back with a box of Quality Street and a card that was suitable for an eight year old, at least that was the number on the card in a large gold symbol, so I assume it was okay.

It was time for me to get the miscreants from school and also to start to ascertain how big the invasion would be tomorrow.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This won't last

The peace, I mean. Something's bound to happen sooner or later - and knowing our friendly authoress and her helpers, it will be sooner.

Gosh, first comment again. That's twice in four years.

S.

I enjoy the conflict in this series but

A sweet birthday party with everyone happy would be great too. Disasters aren't necessary every day. But this uncertainty is one of the reasons we all come back every day to see what's next.

Hmmm.....

If Jacquie isn't a good reader, i'd check that card just in case.

"Jacquie came back with a box of Quality Street and a card that was suitable for an eight year old, at least that was the number on the card in a large gold symbol, so I assume it was okay."

Poor literacy skills.

So Jacquie's got poor literacy skills. It seems to be a common factor with kids coming out of any sort of institution.

I used to have my own prejudiced reasons for this phenomenon but the more I've talked about it with others, the more I've realised/learned there are several important primary factors and dozens of lesser ones.

Love the birthday preparations; panic buying or what?

Good chapter Angie.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

I'm Caught up, Finally!

Now I can join the ranks of the daily common 'taters', and suffer daily withdrawals until the next episode is posted. Surely there are medications for this condition?

Thanks for the time spent over the past few years, and here is my vote to continue this as long as you have ideas. +VOTE+
Let's see: Cathy still has to get her PHD, Jacqui has problems, Livvi is growing up, Trish is super intelligent, and Meems seems to be learning at a fast rate.....and Danny - will he continue to cope adequately with the love of this household? And what about the blue light, Stella, Tom and Simon, and the Bikasode Mafia?

I felt my tummy flip over. Could this be a first sigh that Cathy's body is beginning to change to 100% female? Or do females have a month or so warning before the menses actually begin? No response required, just a thought on my part.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

It is a wonder

Cathy doesn't forget more than she does. With her brood she is kept hopping.

I suspect Jacquie will get help on the reading front. It is never too late.