Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1775

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1775
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“C’mon, Mummy,” Trish called as we followed her into the toyshop in Gun Wharf Quay. It was fine for her dodging through the shoppers, but for me pushing the pushchair for Catherine, we had to be a little more careful to avoid scything down doddery old ladies, some of who so deserved being cut off at the knees the way they zigzagged across in front of me as if following a sat nav system that hadn’t been updated since the Romans left.

I found Trish standing looking at a model of a caveman. “Nevo looked a bit like that, Mummy.”

“What hairy chest and eyebrows you could make a hat from?”

“No, Mummy,” she laughed, “he wore woollen trousers and was bare on top.” She looked wistfully at the model who looked nothing like the person she’d described. The model looked like a Neanderthal having a bad hair day, enough body hair to require a sheep shearer and a brow ridge which looked deep enough to have a colony of nesting swallows under it.

I suspect the boy Trish saw looked like any other five year old with long hair and a garrotte. I still shivered at the thought of the ritual killing of children–but then soldiers and militias in Africa do it all the time and it looks like the Syrians are doing the same. The ritual has changed, now they just herd them together and machine gun them, women and children and old people. It’s disgusting and indefensible to any remotely civilised human and I hope will bring the full force of the international community’s anger when things settle down. The killing of children is never justified as an act of deliberate violence, and can never be justified by any stretch of the imagination.

“I’m up here, Mummy,” Trish called from the first floor waving at us. If I ever actually caught her up, I began to fantasise chaining her to the pushchair to stop her running off–either that or a putting a large heavy ball around her ankle to slow her career.

I plodded on behind, holding on the pushchair and lifting its rear wheels as we went up the escalator–Catherine had become bored with our pursuit and nodded off to sleep. Finally, I found Trish looking through the Barbie dolls and she selected one and handed it to me.

“Are you sure this is what you want, because if there’s something of similar value you can have that instead.”

“I want this one, Mummy,” She added, “please,” when I gave her a dirty look.

“You’re sure?”

“Yes, Mummy.”

“So, Catherine gets the old one.”

“It doesn’t have a head, Mummy–she ate it, if you remember.”

“I remember, it was only yesterday and I’m not quite in my dotage yet.”

“Wossa dotage, Mummy?”

“Old age and associated decrepitude.”

She looked at me in uncertainty and I knew I’d done it again. “Decrepitude, it means falling apart through old age.”

“You’re only twenty eight, Mummy,” she said and I smiled at her. “You’ve got to be at least thirty before you’re really old.” The ways she’s going she’ll end up predeceasing it by twenty two years.

“So Daddy is really old, is he?” I offered her, baiting the trap.

“No, he’s quite young really.”

“He’s thirty two.”

She looked shocked at this revelation and her bottom lip crinkled and tears started.

“What’s the matter, sweetheart?”

“Daddy, I don’t want him to be thirty two,” she blubbed and then dissolved in tears.

“What’s the matter with your little girl?” asked a well meaning passer-by.

“She’s just realised her daddy is over thirty,” I replied and shrugged.

“How strange is that?” replied the woman in a tone which suggested she didn’t quite believe that I wasn’t beating my children and generally abusing them.

We actually left the Barbie behind on the shelf and I dragged Trish and the pushchair back to the ground floor and out to the shopping mall where I found a seat and tried to calm her down. She was close to hysterical by this time and it seemed to take forever to shut her up and stop the sobbing which was attracting attention and making feel even hotter.

“What ’ave you done to ’er?” asked another passer-by.

“Please just leave her, she’ll be alright.”

“Oh, so you ’ave done somethink to ’er, then–you should be ashamed of yerself.”

“And you shouldn’t stick your long proboscis into things which don’t concern you–so butt out and mind your own business.”

By now I was seated with Trish sitting on my lap and weeping all over my shoulder. Finally I managed to calm her down and got her a little drink when the nosy woman came back with a policeman–fortunately it was Andy Bond and he shooed her away saying he would deal with it. She reluctantly left, hoping I’d be taken off in chains and transported to the colonies or something for child abuse.

“I didn’t realise it was you, Cathy, they only said two children not twenty five.”

“Ha ha, Andy; I’ve enough trouble with smart arse interferers without smart arse coppers as well.”

Trish had fallen asleep on my lap, sucking her thumb and making the odd little shudder. She’d exhausted herself and all her hair was sweaty and sticking to her forehead.

“Are you alright or d’you want me to help you back to your car?”

I accepted his offer of help, and eventually he took my sleeping charge who allowed herself to be lifted off my lap and into his arms–I was quite glad to have a moment to stretch and move my aching limbs and we wandered back to the car park where he deposited sleeping beauty into the car seat and I strapped her in. Thankfully, Catherine was no trouble and after thanking Andy, I drove home feeling close to exhaustion myself.

I had no idea what the problem with Trish was, and she hadn’t been in any position to explain what the matter was, but just in case she was sickening for something I resolved to keep a wary eye on her for the next day or two.

When Simon and Sammi returned from work, Trish made a huge fuss of Simon and stuck to him like a limpet which he enjoyed but was puzzled over. While I was making tea–David had the afternoon off–he managed to escape Trish’s grasp–she’d fallen asleep on the sofa–he came to ask what was going on with her.

All I could think was it was a reaction to her ordeal on the ferry the previous week–sort of delayed shock. He was satisfied by that but asked me to keep an eye on her and take her to the doctor or call Stephanie if it happened again.

When I took her up to bed, she was still acting very strangely and I gave her a little cuddle. “Now, missy, please tell me what is going on?”

“Nothin’,” she replied.

“I wasn’t found on a Christmas tree, so come off it, I know there’s something wrong and it obviously concerns Daddy–now, what is it?”

She burst into tears again.

“Look, sweetheart, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what the problem is.”

“You can’t help,” she wailed.

“Of course I can–I’m your mother, so please tell me.” I held her tightly as she cried.

“It was that boy,” she sobbed and hiccupped. “He told me Daddy was going to die when he was thirty two.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The First Time She Said It

littlerocksilver's picture

I had a feeling that was what the problem was. Let's hope she misinterpreted things. Besides, how would that other child know?

Portia

Which Daddy?

Oh dear, Time to start thinking!!

But with Cathy around, death

But with Cathy around, death can be a temporary event. I was originally going to write 'short lived event' but that didn't seem appropriate,

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1775

“It was that boy,” she sobbed and hiccupped. “He told me Daddy was going to die when he was thirty two.”

Was that Simon, her adopted Daddy, or her birth daddy?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

wondered about that

but was it her biological father? her adoptive father? the boys father?

My question also.

Oh I do hope it is not dear Simon.

Gwendolyn

Hmm...

Given I doubt Ang would permanently kill off Simon:

a) he technically dies, but is brought back to life - either through the miracles of modern medicine (CPR) or BLH.

b) her biological father dies, which could turn out to be a double bonus if her parents didn't procreate any more... in this case, Cathy might end up with yet another house in her ever-expanding property portfolio...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Wow, that was a shocker!

Wow, that was a shocker!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Complete Speculation

Cathy did mention that she (Charlie), may have had an encounter with a friend at Sussex (currently 'bout 9 yrs ago).
Cathy might be the unsuspecting victim here. Although, I doubt it (got 3yrs 'til then).
Trish's lineage hasn't been explored, but her surname has always been Watts.

Poor Trish.

Difficult to comment at the moment cos I'm watching Sat night at the olympics. So just an unconsidered quicky.
Great chapter Ang and yet another cliff-hanger.

Once again.

Thanks.

Bev.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

And i thought i was the only

one glued to the TV Bev...But what with all the medals GB keeps winning it gets kind of difficult to drag yourself away...

No idea just which Daddy Trish might be referring too, But i have to say it is a little worrying.... Cathy will need all her powers of persuasion to convince Trish its not her Daddy withe the Sword of Damocles hanging over his head....

Kirri

Dead at Thirty-Two?

No wonder Trish is upset. I would be, too.

I realize that characters take on a life of their own. One of mine was killed in spite of my best efforts as the author to keep her alive. So, I know how it can happen.

But, Simon? I am saddened already. I don't know how the family will cope without his steadying influence, his sharp financial acumen, and his capacity to support Cathy and his entire brood in spite of everything that comes his way. His loss would devastate his family, as well as every reader of the Daily Dormouse.

Hopefully, Cathy will have a heart-to-heart with the goddesses, and surrender herself to them in return for the her husband and the children's father.

Or, is that why it's being done, ie, to make her do that which she has so steadfastly refused to do?
Angharad, you've done it again. Another cliff-hanger. Atta Girl!

Red MacDonald