Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1729

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1729
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Despite my best efforts, Stella loaded up her car with as much as she could shove in the boot, put both her children in their car seats and drove off without so much as a goodbye. Tom was quite upset by it all and went off to his office in the university; I suspect to avoid him saying something unpleasant to me. I might be the chosen one, but he has a soft spot for Stella as well. Then again he wouldn’t tell her off for making a mistake like he does me–I like to think this is because he tells me like it is, but is polite towards Stella because he doesn’t feel as close to her.

Simon, to my disgust helped her load the car–but at least he was consistent, unlike me. I had started it all by speaking my mind, then regretted it. I hope she’ll be alright. As soon as she left I called Gareth and told him I had tried to apologise but she wouldn’t let me. I also told him to let me know if she showed any signs of her illness returning, and that they were all welcome to come back if they so wished. He thanked me but told me that they were a family unit and would be able to solve their own problems.

Okay, that was telling me–I just hope he forgets all this when we start work together on Monday–it’s my project, and it will remain that way as long as I have a breath in my body.

I spent the rest of the day racked with guilt and irritated by everyone and everything. In the end, I grabbed Catherine, Mima, Trish and Livvie, packed us a bag each and set off for Bristol. When we got there, it started raining and did so for much of Sunday as well.

We returned on Sunday late afternoon, having achieved nothing but using up a tank of diesel, oh and doing some cleaning. For the kids this proved a novelty, but for me, it was just a way of taking my mind off the problems which beset it.

Sunday night I slept very badly. Simon was cross with me for taking off and leaving him to look after Julie, Jacquie and Sammi whom he had to take out for lunch on Sunday with Tom. I’d taken our lot out to a burger shop and they thought it was such a treat.

I practically cried myself to sleep after Simon berated me. I did fire one back at him saying he’d at least had the decency to help Stella pack her car, I had to do my own. He went off on one again and I burst into tears. “Are you sure you’re not on, because you sound just like it?”

“Very funny–not.” I tried to explain that my pills sometimes seemed to cause cycles of a monthly type but I was not ovulating because I had no ovaries nor womb to slough the lining off.

He turned over in a huff and I ended up sleeping with Mima in her bed. The weather had turned wet and cold with brisk northerly winds at times which felt more like November than June. If this was climate change due to man’s activities the sooner some epidemic wiped us all out the better.

On Monday morning I felt tired and fragile, though I managed to get the girls to school and into work on time. Of course, Gareth was there already as was Tom, who was still seeming a bit distant to me.

Thankfully, I discovered I was due to invigilate at an exam most of the morning, but not with one of my classes. Gareth did the same in the afternoon, so the university kept us apart for the first day. I did manage to do some tutorials in the afternoon but wasn’t impressed by the standard of work I was expected to mark–these kids had no idea of scientific protocols for writing up experiments or fieldwork. It looked like my next tutorial session was designated.

Some of the first years did get to see dormice as they were selected to help with the dormouse project. I collated some figures and saw we needed to survey the sector I had to cover through the loss of my post grad researcher. I almost offered it to Gareth, then thought better of it. Instead I arranged for a group of volunteers to accompany me to the site on the Friday morning and we’d do it then. I also spoke to Danny’s headmaster and unbeknownst to Danny, arranged for him to assist us as well–at least he has some idea of what we’re doing.

His headmaster agreed on the understanding that I would ensure that Danny wrote up what we did as a course work project for his science class. I would ensure he did.

Tuesday, was when I realised Wiggo had won the Criterium du Dauphine and that made my spirits lift a little–the Gareth came in looking like he hadn’t slept all night. Apparently, Stella and the two kids went down with some tummy bug–her cooking?–and he’d been up half the night changing them and clearing up the mess.

I did some teaching on ecology, and cut short my lecture, giving out a handout for them to read, then ran through the basics of writing up a fieldwork report and a science essay. It seemed half of them had never been shown how to list references, so how they teach A-levels these days is mind boggling.

In the afternoon, I took a couple of students with me to my survey patch and tried to show them how we do the surveys. I don’t know if they were a particularly stupid lot or whether I was just very irritable, but when they let the third dormouse escape before we weighed or tagged it, I got a bit emotional and bawled them out.

I ended up with three students in tears, and two of those were boys. Then we stopped, had a flask of tea and started again, this time they were much better and we actually managed to gather some data. They also decided they would try again on Friday. Then it rained–not just rained, it absolutely hammered down, complete with bang flash wallop and hailstones. We were soaked and one of the girls slipped in the morass the path became and twisted her ankle. I dumped her at casualty while I went and collected my girls, then collected my student who had nothing worse than a light sprain–but in this day and age, and the American habit of litigation now epidemic in the UK as well–I had to appear to be doing all I could on behalf of the uni to look after her.

We ran her home, and discovered her cat had a litter of kittens–of course the girls had to see them–and of course, they wanted at least one. Fortunately, they were too young to be separated from their mother, but Melanie, the student, pencilled in a small black female one, for my girls. Just what I need, a bloody kitten.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Maybe You Do

littlerocksilver's picture

A kitten might just be the thing to spoil. The girls might learn quite a bit if they are responsible enough. Just don't let it near Spike

Portia

I'm hoping that Gareth has it right

He thanked me but told me that they were a family unit and would be able to solve their own problems.

Yes, they are, and it would be great for Cathy if it worked out that way. Of course I hope the hurt feelings cool a bit so they all can be family too.

Lovely chapter.

Too tired to comment tonight. Been a b----y awful day.

Nice chapter Ang.
Hugs.

Bev.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1729

Cathy's guilt is causing her to be irritable. But wondering about Stella and Gareth. Is he strong enough to stay through her antics? Will she see how much she took advantage of Cathy and rediscover her work ethic? And what will Tom and Kiki think about a new kitten?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Obvously it is in Stella's court now

It's up to her to figure out how much work she is willing to do running her own household.

She just does not realize it till now I bet and Gareth would soon realize how incompetent Stella is.

Cathy just has to play for time. Like it or now, Stella needs to learn a long delayed lesson.

Kim

A new kitten?

With the big household which includes Tom and Kiki, along with I've lost count of the kids, who was/is who, ages and all that.

I am surprised Cathy is able to, but that is just Mom's for you, and Cathy is a good one, with a houseful of people who love her. Oh, I forgot Kiki! I am sure Kiki loves her also.

Cathy thinks she has the universe figured out, and she does in her way of thinking. I perceive the kitten will make a huge difference in Cathy's Universe, as when they get bonded, and they will, that kitten may be the closest thing to an actual angel Cathy has ever seen. Oh, I forgot The Goddess.... Oh well, my statement about the kitten still stands!

I think Bonzi had a hand in the choice of color of the kitten - Black! and if he had a hand in the selection of the sex (female) I wonder if Bonzi is transgendered or possibly a TS? Just kidding about all except the first sentence, Bonzi! Keep up the good control you have over your ghost writer!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

You're the first to mention the black kitten and Bonzi ...

in one paragraph, but ... What do you want to bet the kitten is eventually named after Angharad's co-writer?

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Not Bonzi!

Bonzi used to be a Tom, now he's a TOMMY! But he's still all boy in his heart!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

There're times...

There are times I wished my hormones were pill based - so the level would remain more level... LOL I've mostly gotten used to the twice a month peaks/valleys, but if I'm not paying attention, they can sneak up on me... (Bad news, the day or two before my shots... Not a good thing.) But, this is what I asked for! :-)

As to what's going on with the extended group... Much of my point from the previous episode is still pertinent. Cathy still doesn't recognize any wrong on her side (except possibly for speaking her mind)... *sighs* Methinks things be boiling.

Thanks,
Annette

Agreed, Kitten + adult dog = BAD

The kitten will shread the dog to pieces.

-- grin --

Hey, my sis was out gardening when some dogs a house or so away behind us started yiping and barking.

So she brought out 17 year old brother/sister cats out.

Cats whose main pasttime is determining where to sleep.

Not a HUGE difference from when they were young but...

They really are slowing down but they have their good days.

The dogs shut right up.

Cats rule, even aged ones aparantly.

John in Wauwaatosa

P.S. Cathy and Stella are being idiots. But then nobody is perfect.

Cathy's main problem has alawys been her low self esteme, the product of her parents less than enlightend childraising skills.

Stella is a child of privilge and used to getting her way. Add mental instabilty -- triggered by pregnacy -- to to that and you have two easily hurt individuals.IMHO

Uh-oh, is Stella... YOU know? but I thougt they advised her to have her tubes tied after her second child?

John in Wauwatosa

Cats and dogs

Not just what's coming out of the sky :)

Given the existence of Kiki in the household, when it comes to collecting a kitten it might be prudent to introduce them gradually (perhaps even take Kiki along to the kittens' house and test interaction between spaniel and kittens in a 'safe' environment before releasing a kitten).

How they'll react is anyone's guess - some cats and dogs get on fine, others are mortal enemies, others are scared stiff of each other and will only stand being in close proximity to each other if it's dinner time and they're both waiting to be let into the kitchen to eat (i.e. they have more pressing concerns on their minds!)...

-oOo-

Meanwhile, with Stella and her two ill, Gareth's having to run the household single-handedly. Little does he realise the pattern will probably continue once they're well again... after a few months (maybe even less!) he'll probably have a new-found appreciation for Cathy's skills in keeping her significantly larger household together, and/or asking if he can 'borrow' Jacqui occasionally to prevent their household degenerating into a tip (!)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Dogs and cats

can be fast friends. Once Kiki gets over the shock I suspect it will be very interesting.