Babs' New Year's Resolution 75

Printer-friendly version

{Highlight to read} Babs’ New Year’s Resolution 75. © Copyright Beverly Guinevere Taff. March 2021

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Babs' (Barbara) Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. (Excellent Artist.)
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica in court.
Han’s The German policeman’s son whom Erica really fancies
Uncle Phillip CIA Agent. Callie's maternal uncle.

Chapter 75

On the Friday morning the court sat briefly to deal with the witness recalls. This mainly affected Erica and Lola who were required to answer further questions that had arisen during th defence hearings. By Friday noon, the court rose to close proceedings while the judges retired to consider the evidence.

In the public area outside the courtroom Erica and Lola were surrounded by a chattering crowd of happy and grateful girls who all showed evident relief. It was decided to go for a meal though it took several phone-calls to find a venue big enough to accommodate some two dozen girls plus assorted counsels and carers. Eventually a restaurant was found and the happy throngs were bundled into several police minibuses then delivered to the location.

Well inured by now to the security issues surrounding the girl’s existence, it was impossible not to notice the extensive police presence. Seeing the veritable parade of assorted police vehicles and outriders, Lola wagged her head despondently as she turned to Susan and Babs.

“Is it going to be like this forever?”
“I certainly hope not,” Babs’ replied. “As soon as these celebrations are completed, it behoves us to make ourselves scarce.”

She turned to Susan and asked.

“How long d’ you think before the Judges return?”

“Well, it’s the weekend now. I don’t think they will take long to reach their verdicts and it’s pretty much an open-and-shut case. Then they have to decide sentencing as well. Over thirty criminals to judge, that could take some time. I’m guessing a week at least, possibly two.”

“Will we have to stay in Germany?” Erica asked, trying to hide the hope and uncertainty in her voice..

“Moving you around puts you at greater risk at present. The police all over the world are still rounding up gang members.”

“Oh shit!” Lola cursed. “Does that mean more bloody hearings?”

“Hopefully not. The authorities in most of those countries affected have got sufficient evidence to proceed. I’m not sure about crossing the pond though.”

“Why’ s that?” Erica wondered.

“They’re like us, there’ll have to be a jury trial at least in the U.S.”

“Yes. I was wondering about that here in Germany. Why no jury?”

“This case was the primordial engine of the prosecutions.” Susan explained. “It’s a judicial hearing because of many factors. Not least being judges of different nationalities.”

“Like Nuremburg?” Lola wondered.

“Well not that grave, but the case had a huge international dimension. That’s why it took so long to put together.”

“What was Nuremburg?” Erica asked Lola.

“The Nazi war crimes trials. All the criminals who did the death camps and stuff. Jeeze girl! Have you not read your history?”

“No.” Erica croaked in a tiny voice. “N’uff troubles of my own.”

“Shit! Sorry babes, wasn’t thinking.”

Lola reached out and hugged the younger girl.

“One day I’ll explain; but not here. It still wounds some of the older people.”

“Come on, let’s eat then go for a walk along the river bank.” Babs’ intervened.

As they dined, Babs’ was pleased to see Erica laying out her medications in full view. They were all pills and tablets and Erica slowly chewed or swallow each one as she savoured her food. Bab’s smiled at her across the table and observed.

“I’m glad to see you’re more at ease with your drugs darling. That must be a sign you’re coming to terms with it.”

“Got no choice have I Nan. It’s that or always dine alone.”

She swept her hand over the neat line of over twenty assorted pills and frowned.

“This is just to show those lawyers what my life’s become thanks to those bastards!”

Babs’ glanced down the table and noticed Hans’s mother staring wide-eyed at the assemblage of medications then wag her head. Babs’ hoped it was a sympathetic wag.

After the meal Hans’s mother chose to walk beside Babs’ and find out more. Babs’ explained everything and finished by saying.

“The only permanent drugs will by the HIV medications. Hopefully, the others will taper off with time.”

“What about any children she might have? - My grandchildren? Will those drugs affect the foetuses?”

“The doctors say not. If she takes her medications religiously, your grandchildren won’t be harmed.”

“It’s the uncertainty that worries me, - the babies.”

“Amen to that.” Babs’ finished.

ooo000ooo

After a long relatively peaceful walk, the group arrived back at the hotel and various groups retired to their rooms. When Lola sat down to her lap-top she found a somewhat half expected email from Callie.

“Hi girl! The yanks want to speak to Erica and some other girls about some of their abusers.”

Lola simply replied –“Wait.”-

A short step down the hotel corridor brought Lola to Erica’s room and a brief knock found her sitting on Erica’s bed.

“Callie’s been in touch.” Lola revealed as she showed Erica the text.

“Is this about what Babs’ suspected?” Erica frowned.

“Probably. Shall I call Callie back.”

“Let’s speak to Babs’.”

A few minutes later all four girls and Babs’ were talking to Callie on Lola’s speaker-phone. It transpired that Callie’s Uncle Phillip; a CIA agent from the USA, (See chapter 34 of Heir to a Title.) wanted to speak to Erica particularly about being a witness in the ‘follow-on’ trial across the pond.

“When’s that going to kick off?” Erica asked Callie.

“I don’t know yet. Uncle Phil thinks it’ll be a good six months yet but they want to pick your brains.”

“Can’t they do it on line? Like they did here in Germany.”

“They are already prepared to set up some ‘ZOOM’ calls with you and the others but they’ll need you to be bodily present in the courtroom during the trial.”

Erica sighed as she agreed and Lola gave her a jaundiced look.

“I thought you’d have jumped at the chance for a visit to America.”

“You’re kidding!” Erica sniffed. “I’m sick of courts and judges; and there’ll be more bloody guns hunting for me over there than there ever was here. Plus the fuckin’ Mexican connection. I’ll be stuck in some shitty ‘lock-down’ fortress, hardly able to move. Witness protection can be worse than chokey.”

“We’re all on witness protection.” Olivia reminded Erica softly.

This reminder prompted Angela to ask Callie.

“Will they want us over there?”

“I don’t know,” Callie replied. “I suppose it depends on what the ZOOM meetings produce. I can’t think of any definite connections at present except London. It depends on what Uncle Phillip digs up. Can you remember being abused by any Yanks?”

“No.” Olivia confirmed, “but there were some south Americans I think, in London. That was mostly drug dealing though.”

“It’ll come out in the wash I suppose. Drugs and trafficking are usually connected. When are you returning to England?” Callie checked.

“Once the verdicts and sentences are handed down.” Babs’ replied, “Susan’s reckoning a week or possibly two.”

“Well, I’ll stay in touch by Zoom and get back to you if there’s any news. Byee for now.”

The five bid Callie goodbye and started preparing for bed. Once between the sheets, Erica phoned Hans
and they chatted long into the evening.
ooo000ooo

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Why Can't They?

joannebarbarella's picture

It should be permissible to give their evidence remotely. Most meetings have been done by ZOOM for the last year and there must be a transcript of the proceedings of their evidence from the European trial.

When it rains it pours

Jamie Lee's picture

Unless the law can get all of the traffickers Erica will be in danger anywhere she goes. And unless the law can severely limit and outside influence the traffickers have, Erica will be in danger from any hired gun.

Once everything in the Courts has concluded the only safe bet for Erica is to disappear from the face of the Earth. But that might be impossible with how she could be tracked because of the meds she has to take.

Maybe putting the traffickers at the end of their individual ropes will be what's needed to save Erica.

Others have feelings too.

It would be interesting

But not surprising to find out there was a reward for killing her.