Babs' New Year's Resolution 21

Printer-friendly version

©Bab’s New Year’s Resolution 21

List of Characters.

Barbara. Chief Protagonist AKA Bab’s.
Lola. (Seventeen) Transgendered girl rescued by Bab’s from an attempted murder.
Olivia. (Fifteen) Barbara’s second adopted daughter: Black lesbian girl fostered out of care then adopted. (With Olivia’s consent!)
Joyce Banks. Bristol Social worker.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to -
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
They are a married couple who own a narrow-boat on the canal. Friends of Lola
Mickey Talbot (Twelve) Aaron and Shirley’s oldest child.
Jessica Talbot (Eleven) Aaron & Shirley’s middle child.
Bianca Talbot (Nine) Aaron & Shirley’s Youngest child.
Billy Medical colleague of Aaron’s – he also owns a narrow boat in Bristol.
Sandra Her parents also own another Narrowboat in Gloucester.
Jackie Sandra’s friend (a bit headstrong and ‘adventurous’)
Julie Third member of the threesome, (more level-headed and sensible than Jackie).
Jason. (Black) London Gang member deals in drugs at the children’s homes
Tyrone (Black) Also a gang member, friend of Jason. Also a dealer.
Tyson (White) Also a gang member into drugs and trafficking young girls.
Angela (Angie), Olivia’s trafficked, drug-addicted friend (Rape-gang Victim and important witness)
Sergeant Davis, (Bridie) female police bodyguard for Angela.
Detective Sergeant Davies. (Brian) Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.
Erica. Another girl victim thought to have been killed by the gang.

Chapter 21

At Birmingham central police station Bridie emerged first then the armed escort accompanied her and Erica to the interview suite while Olivia and Angela waited briefly in the van with Brian. After a moderate delay, there was a knock on the van and the armed escort returned to collect Ollie and Angie.

“They’re giving your friend a thorough questioning and comparing notes of ferry tickets for dates and such like. Once they get an accurate time frame they’ll be able to check CCTV and stuff at the ferry terminals at least.”
“But that was months ago,” Angela observed. Do they keep records that long?”
“I’m not allowed to say how long they keep the records girls, that’s confidential information.”

Angie fell silent but she realised if they were checking back CCTV then they must keep the records going back months.
“No wonder security is expensive if they keep stuff going back that long.” She remarked to Olivia and Brian. “They must have wall-to-wall data banks.”
“Here we are girls. Basically, they just want you to confirm today’s events – unless of course you can remember anything else.
They followed the station sergeant into the interview suit and were surprised to find themselves facing the Sikh family who were still waiting for their beloved daughter to be released to them. Because both Olivia and Angela were black, the Sikh family eyed them suspiciously but said nothing.
It irked both girls that they were not allowed to say anything or identify themselves as the party that had identified the kidnapper. Their ‘safe-house’ constraints were still an onerous burden. Eventually, Brian decided to get some tea and he made himself known to the desk sergeant Within a few minutes, he returned with a tray of tea and biscuits which both girls and coppers quickly demolished.
As Olivia poured a second cup of tea she noticed the Sikh parents eyeing their tray covetously and realised they might not have had anything since the arrest. She turned to Brian while adding.
“We may not be allowed to identify ourselves to them but surely we can get them some tea.”
“Leave it to me Ollie.” Brian replied as he repeated the tea-serving procedure.

“When he returned with a second large tray of tea and biscuits he allowed himself the luxury of a little explanation.”
“Those young ladies were a party to your daughter’s rescue but sadly they are not allowed to be identified to you. Their lives are in danger so their identities must remain secret. Your young daughter was extremely lucky that the girls identified the kidnapper. Those young ladies risked their lives by informing my colleagues. That’s all I can say.”
The Sikh mother let out a gasp of delight and stood up to rush across and thank the girls. Fortunately, Brian was alert enough to stop her and enlighten the family trio.
“As I said, their identities remain a secret so just give them a wave to acknowledge a thank-you. You cannot talk to them or take pictures of them. Once the trial is over you will be allowed to make their acquaintance.
This business with your daughter has served to both complicate things and yet improve the chances of convictions for many gang members. Just give the two young ladies a smile and they will wave back. That’s all that’s allowed today – sorry. Oh and all importantly, absolutely no photos, pictures or selfies, okay?”
Having taken in Brian’s clear warning the family gave the prescribed ‘finger-waves’ and smiled beatifically when the girls gave a smiley ‘finger-wave’ back. The father silently mouthed ‘thank-you’ and they continued exchanging smiles across the suite until all three of the family were invited to clear up some questions about their daughter’s disappearance earlier that morning.
Eventually every one of Brian’s party attended their interviews and they prepared to return Erica to The Birmingham hospital clinic. They drove home in a somewhat sober mood as Bridie explained why the interview with Erica had taken so long.
“Apparently, her seeing that vermin Abdullah, resurrected more disturbing memories and those memories contain some very useful information, identities, dates, locations and events. It all adds grist to the mill. She’s agreed to let them use pentanol to try and release any more stuff that’s might be locked up in her head.”

“Pentanol? Isn’t that the truth drug?” Olivia checked.
“Yes but they’ll be monitoring her wellbeing when they use it. There’s been enough damage to her psyche already.”
“No complications then, what with her addictions and her HIV thing.”
“None that they know of; as I said, they’ll be watching her like a hawk.”
“They’d better,” Olivia added softly but darkly.
By the time they arrived home at the cottage, everybody was ready for bed.
ooo000ooo
To Olivia’s annoyance, they slept late at the cottage so they had to forego breakfast and speed through the lanes to catch up with Aaron, Shirley and their three children.
They arrived at the wildfowl park where they finally located Aaron and his family without Michael, who had gone with his study group to witness the arrival of the migrating swans from Russia. On learning that Michael was already at the main lake, Olivia set off with her back-pack as fast as the crowds would allow and she finally spotted Michael with his school-friends arranged on the shore of the lake anticipating the event.
Fortunately the crowds had not yet intensified and Olivia managed to pick her way between the groups to finally sneak up on Aaron’s son Michael without him realising. She approached the teacher first to comply with school regs before surprising Michael. He was looking glum and staring at the sky when Olivia suddenly tapped him on the shoulder.
“Surprise, surprise!”
Michael span around and the frown suddenly changed to a ‘wrap-around’ grin as he instantly cheered up.
“I thought you weren’t coming. I thought you’d forgotten.”
“No Mickey. Never that! I would never forget you cos’ I made a promise.
We all slept late through the alarm at the cottage because we got back late last night after a gruelling day in Birmingham.”
“What do you do in Birmingham all the time?”
“I can’t tell you yet, but it’s very important. Did you bring your pencils and stuff?”
He tapped his bag by his foot as Olivia swung her back-pack off her shoulders.
“Now I’ve been told at the information office in the café that the swans are a long way off to the north-east so we’ve got plenty of time for introductions and stuff.”
The group only comprised six boys plus a teacher and after the formalities were completed, Olivia took out her little folding stool and settled alongside Mickey. At first, she said nothing but started drawing while an intrigued Michael turned and stared over her shoulder. After less than a minute’s handiwork, Michael recognised himself on the paper.
“That’s me!”
“Full marks for observation bro! That was you looking pretty glum just now.”
To emphasise the mood, Olivia darkened the background sky and the other boys started laughing.
“Can you draw me please Miss?” Another boy asked.
“Certainly but check with Mr Mathews first; and it’s Olivia not Miss. I’m Michaels friend, not a teacher.”
The group needed no further encouragement and in no time at all, what had been a dour group of cold bedraggled observers had now become an animated gaggle of excited schoolboys gathered around Olivia while Mr Mathews, their teacher looked on beaming.
Because the day was overcast, Olivia sketched every boy looking cold, miserable and bored. However the drawing conveyed the mood before Olivia’s arrival perfectly and She even managed to include the teacher chewing on a sandwich before the news went out that the swans were due within minutes.
The news caused a rush as the shore became crowded with camera-toting twitchers and the boys had to fight to hold their favoured line. Fortunately by this time, Olivia had set up her easel and this clearly marked her legitimate claim to that section of shore. Mr Mathews also stood close by to help protect their ‘first-come, first-served’ claim.

Soon there came a call from further along the beach and the first skein of swans appeared in formation as they started bugling excitedly on recognising their final destination. Inevitably the hubbub on the shore rose to a crescendo as cameras swung into action and people ‘oohed and aahed’ at the spectacle.

Olivia however, had simply taken a simple video on her mobile then quickly whisked a few formative lines on the paper. Even these simple curves had however captured the fluidity and action of the swan’s alighting, then she ignored the countless ‘follow-ons’ by other skeins as she concentrated on fleshing out her picture. It was this part that intrigued Michael and a couple of other more interested boys and it was here that Olivia showed Michael how to use the pencils to create various effects and techniques to capture the spirit of the swan’s arrivals.

By mid-afternoon, the bulk of the migration for that day was over and only a few stragglers arrived with forlorn calls as they sought their mates or attempted some premature pairings with other single swans. As the crowds thinned Olivia gave the boys one last treat and she invited them to the café to make one last drawing of their visit in the warmth of the café.

This time she drew the boys smiling and drinking various beverages while Mr Mathews was drawn distributing more burghers and chips to round off the day.

The master was so delighted with the turn of events that he invited Olivia to come to the school and meet the rest of his class on another day.

Sadly Olivia had to decline for it would not do to create too much publicity until the rape-gang case was closed.

The rest of the boys left in the school minibus with the teacher, while Michael and Olivia met up with their returning families as pre-arranged.

“Good day son?” Aaron asked his son.

“Fabulous dad. Ollie’s a brilliant artist!”

“We know that darling,” Shirley added, “who do you think painted the boat?”

“Oh! Of course! I forgot!” Michael exclaimed as they prepared to leave. “Can I travel back with Olivia?” He begged.

“Sorry Michael,” Bridie lied. “We’re off to Gloucester on police business.”

When Olivia joined Bab’s Brian, Angie and Bridie she asked what was going on.

“Nothing,” Bridie explained, “we just like to keep things simple. It’s easier to protect you together than scattered between cars and families. Sorry and all that but you know the score. Besides, the less Aaron and Shirley and their children are seen to be associated with you girls; the less complications and risks.”

“Jeeze! I’ll be glad when this bloody case is over.” Olivia sighed.

As a compensation for not being able to travel back with Michael, Bab’s treated everybody to a cream tea in a pretty little Cotswold town before returning to the cottage after dark. It was novel experience for the girls.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Constraints

joannebarbarella's picture

The girls are learning just how low-key they have to be until the trial is under way.

Just as well the royal family doesn't eat swans any more.

*

Thanks again for great story.

T

It may be hard, and not liked, but...

Jamie Lee's picture

The girls may not the restrictions, but if they are to stay safe they must follow them. And that includes their favorite activities.

Others have feelings too.

Maybe Ollie

Has a future as a teacher?