Babs' New Year's Resolution 24

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s Resolution 24

List of Characters.

Barbara. Chief Protagonist AKA Bab’s.
Lola. (Seventeen) Transgendered girl rescued by Bab’s from an attempted murder.
Olivia. (Fifteen) Barbara’s second adopted daughter: Black lesbian girl fostered out of care then adopted. (With Olivia’s consent!)
Joyce Banks. Bristol Social worker.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to -
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
They are a married couple who own a narrow-boat on the canal. Friends of Lola
Mickey Talbot (Twelve) Aaron and Shirley’s oldest child.
Jessica Talbot (Eleven) Aaron & Shirley’s middle child.
Bianca Talbot (Nine) Aaron & Shirley’s Youngest child.
Billy Medical colleague of Aaron’s – he also owns a narrow boat in Bristol.
Sandra Her parents also own another Narrowboat in Gloucester.
Jackie Sandra’s friend (a bit headstrong and ‘adventurous’)
Julie Third member of the threesome, (more level-headed and sensible than Jackie).
Jason. (Black) London Gang member deals in drugs at the children’s homes
Tyrone (Black) Also a gang member, friend of Jason. Also a dealer.
Tyson (White) Also a gang member into drugs and trafficking young girls.
Angela (Angie), Olivia’s trafficked, drug-addicted friend (Rape-gang Victim and important witness)
Sergeant Davis, (Bridie) female police bodyguard for Angela.
Detective Sergeant Davies. (Brian) Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.
Erica. Another girl victim thought originally, to have been killed by the gang,
Belinda Harrington. Lola’s new girlfriend in college.

Chapter 24

After what had transpired to be a remarkably successful lunch, Lola was invited by the women of Belinda’s family to indulge in a brief shopping trip in Cirencester before she returned home.

“I’ll just phone my nan and let her know what time I anticipate getting home,” Lola declared as she pulled out her phone.

“That’s very responsible of you Lola,” Martha observed, “Does you nan worry a lot?”

Lola just nodded affirmation so as to avoid revealing any more information. Martha was about to comment on Lola’s solicitous behaviour when she got a warning glance from her husband General Harrington. It did not go un-noticed by the sharp-eyed Lola and she flashed a brief smile of thanks towards the general.

As she and the general stood in the yard he reassured her that her secret as revealed by Gareth the police guard would remain just that with him.

“Does Belinda know anything about it?” He asked.

“Sadly no. I feel bad about that but need’s must. Hopefully it will be over by next summer. Nan and I were talking to the Inspector in Birmingham about dates for the trial last Sunday.”

“I won’t ask any more darling. Least said soonest mended.”

Lola felt a ripple of relief and pleasure at the General calling her ‘darling’. It implied her acceptance by the family. At that Belinda’s mother and sisters appeared dressed for the anticipated rain and Lola finished donning her waterproof Barbour, ‘farmgirl’ coat.

“It’ll be good to all go in Lola’s Land-rover, then we can chat.” Martha declared.

“Good luck with that young lady,” General Harrington added as Lola caught the underlying jist of his remark.

She smiled knowingly to demonstrate her awareness. The General had just warned her that his wife was a bit of a gossip. Armed with this knowledge, Lola kept her answers brief and not very informative whenever she was asked something that might have revealed her endangered circumstances. Fortunately Cirencester is not a big shopping town and they didn’t have much time. By five o’clock, most of the smaller shops had closed and Lola had delivered Belinda and her family home. By six o’clock she arrived home at Canal cottage right on schedule.
ooo000ooo

She was surprised to find Joyce who was still Olivia and Angela’s social worker, drinking coffee with Bridie and the family.

“Oh hello! This is a nice surprise.” Lola grinned.

“Nice to see you likewise,” Joyce agreed. “Bab’s has been bringing me up to date with your progress and I’m really pleased for you. No – excited would be a better word. You’re one of our success stories and it’s good just for us social workers to occasionally be able to celebrate. I’ve got some more good news for you as well.”

“Go one,” Lola pressed.

“Well the funding for your surgery in the summer has been released so everything is on course for your transition. The other news is this.”

Joyce held up a cheque and explained.

“It's the first part of your compensation for the time you were made homeless. It’s your money so here you are. Just sign this receipt.”

Lola signed for the cheque and studied it before handing it to Bab’s.

“This can go to extending the house. You’ll need it for interim payments won’t you?”

“Slow down darling." Bab's exclaimed. "We haven’t even got planning permission yet. You’ll have transitioned before everything’s complete.”

“That’s not exactly true Bab’s.” Joyce elaborated.

"Oh! Go oon." Bab's probed.

“Birmingham are just about ready to release Erica from the clinic and the general consensus is that she would thrive in an environment like this cottage.”

“But there’s no room.” Lola opined. “We are already four adults in three bedrooms. Where is she going to sleep?”

That’s exactly what the SS case worker’s meeting concluded this morning. That’s why I’m here to discuss the situation with you all.

Lola grinned lopsidedly. “Well there’s a first.”

Joyce frowned painfully, for Lola’s remark had hit a nerve.

“Now-now, Lola, it’s not easy you know. We don’t have a bottomless pit of money.”

“Sorry Joyce. Old scars run deep. I was being a bit self-indulgent. So, is this what I think it’s about, having Erica coming to stay here?”

“Well, yes.”

“So who would she share with? There’s only three bedrooms.”

“Well Bab’s has mentioned another option.”

Lola suspected she knew what was coming as she prompted Joyce to reveal what Lola already suspected.

“Go – oon!”

“Well, you are not here during term time and we were wondering if you’d be prepared to let Erica have your room and you live on the guard boat while the building work is under way.”

“What about Bridie and Brian, not to mention Gareth and George the other guard; where will they stay? They don’t use the caravan anymore.”

“There’s room enough on the boat for three or even five; plenty of room - and we can arrange to have main’s services connected from the house. It will only be for about six months while the building work goes ahead.”

Lola fell into a thoughtful silence as she considered the options. Finally she raised one last question.

“Is Erica house-trained? – You know what I mean. Bab’s is getting on and it only works for Olivia and Angie because they pull their weight. I’ve seen both of them doing laundry, cooking, cleaning – you name it. In all fairness, Bab’s has got what amounts to two perfect daughters; - and that’s a good thing – don’t get me wrong. But is Erica cut from the same cloth? As I said; is she house trained?”

“I think you should let me be the judge of that.” Bab’s interjected.

“Yeh, you’re right Nina but I still worry for you, you’re not getting any younger.”

Lola then turned to her step-sisters.

“You two would be best to judge. You knew Erica before she was kidnapped.”

Olivia and Angela glanced anxiously at each other. This was one of the few times they had been forced to sit in upon a serious adult discussion that might affect their personal circumstances. They both knew that Erica had been something of a wild-child at the home but they didn’t remember any nastiness like stealing or lying or bullying. The both sensed that Lola had an insightfulness somewhat beyond her years.

Both girls were keen to see Erica in a good place but Lola had shed a piercing light into their world. Nervously, Olivia took the bull by the horns.

“We were all misfits and ne’er-do-wells when we first came here. It’s been Babs’s magic that’s worked for us. Can’t we give Erica the same chance?”

Lola’s hardness softened slightly. Olivia’s more compassionate view had served to promote a more humanitarian atmosphere.


‘Perhaps the risk was worth taking’,
she thought.

Even though she would not be there to ensure that Bab’s was not bullied or disobeyed. It seemed that Olivia was turning out to be as considerate and caring of Bab’s as Lola had been when she first met Bab’s.

To this end, Lola decided to give up her beloved little bedroom sanctuary at the cottage and move to the police narrow-boat until a bigger better room became available after the extension was built.

‘After all,’ she ruminated, ‘it would only be for a few weeks during the Easter hols, for during the summer break, she would be in hospital getting her transition sorted’.

“Okay. I’ll move to the narrow-boat whenever you want.” Lola declared.

She felt an inner sense of satisfaction and self-worth as she saw Joyce almost sag with relief. Then she realised.

Joyce had nowhere else suitable to put Erica and, - but for the existence of Canal Cottage, the girl would in all probability, have been lost again in the shambolic care of London’s ‘inner-city’ abuse system.’

Lola now realised that Joyce’s ‘Thank-you Lola.’ Was far more heartfelt than she had first thought. To add substance to Joyce’s relief Lola took the case forward leaps and bounds by asking.

“I’ll move today if it helps, provided these two help shift my stuff; - and get my old bedroom ready for her, you know, clean sheets and stuff. When d’ you want Erica to move in?”

“Could we get her in before Christmas?” Joyce wondered hopefully.

“Whoa! That’s only the day after tomorrow. You’d better check with Inspector John and Sergeant Bridie. It’s Christmas and they’ve got Logistical issues as well. You know, cars and drivers and stuff. Not to mention families of course!”

Joyce found herself looking at Lola in a new light. ‘The angry young misfit of just three-and-a-half years ago had matured into a really balanced and mature young adult.’

Regretfully, she conceded Lola’s points. ‘It was pushing things a bit.’

“Ah well, I suppose it was worth a try. We’d better leave it until after Christmas.” Joyce conceded though the disappointment was clear in her voice.

Lola fell silent as her brain ticked away then she motioned secretively to Bab’s who was busy mixing the Christmas pudding. Bab’s looked up and smiled knowingly to Lola who slid her eyes towards the little utility room at the back of the cottage. Having got the message, Bab’s made some excuse about raisins and glazed cherries while Lola pretended to want a wee.
In the brief interval they chatted quietly.

“Couldn’t I collect Erica in the Land-rover. It’s never been near Birmingham hospital and nobody would be expecting that sort of vehicle.”

“What about a police escort? The police are bound to want to ensure her safety.”

“Well one of the armed guards could accompany me, it wouldn’t take more than four hours, there and back, in fact probably less.”

“And when would this be done. It’s nearly midday now and tomorrow’s Christmas eve.”

“Well Gareth is down on the house-boat right now with George the other guard. George is changing shifts with Gareth so I’ll go and work my magic on Gareth to ask him if he’ll escort us there and back. If Olivia and Angie come with me it would just be like a shopping trip.

And another thing. I’m hardly known at the hospital. If Ollie and Angie lie low when we actually get to the hospital nobody will suspect anything. Just a girl and a man in a land-rover. Gareth could even do the driving then it will look like father and daughter, can’t we run it by Gareth and Bridie now?”

Bab’s frowned then capitulated.

“Very well then, you can try. Go and ask Gareth to come here, I’ll speak to Joyce and Bridie.”

“When they broached the idea a few minutes later the general consensus was that it was workable and Bridie contacted Inspector John.”

The factors that enabled it was that Gareth had never been near the hospital and therefore could enter and leave with turning a single head, the Land rover had never been near the hospital and was an unknown and finally, Lola was little known because she had been up at Uni during most of their visits concerning Eric’s recovery.

The plan was set and by mid-afternoon Lola and the girls plus Gareth the armed guard were driving up to Birmingham.

“Don’t forget you two, heads down and beaks under blankets as we enter the hospital.”

“Got that Gareth,” Olivia and Angela chorused as they prepared to burrow down on the floor at the back.

Lola and Gareth exchanged cautionary glances as his gun lay under a jacket between them on the front seat.

“Keep a sharp look out now girl. Anything remotely suspicious, and you tell me immediately.”

“I’m glad that you showed me how to use that thing.” She whispered as she tapped the hidden gun.

Gareth glanced angrily at her as he responded in a whisper.

“I never heard that! And don’t you ever dream of doing anything stupid if things go pear-shaped!”

Lola nodded vigorously. Truly she was aware of the dangers surrounding her step-sisters and Erica. After a few more minutes, they arrived at the hospital gates and Lola gave brief clipped instructions.

“Right here, now left by that parked laundry van, now down that ramp and I’ll tap in the door code. Erica and her armed guard should be waiting behind the laundry entrance shutters. No, no, keep going they are usually inside the little office. Normally we girls wear burkahs but one day those rapists are gonna’ twig.”

The pair stopped the land-rover and took a good look around before cautioning Olivia and Angela to continue lying low/

“Well this is her last day at the hospital,” Gareth observed so hopefully we won’t ever have to run this gauntlet again.”

Gareth tapped in the door code on the key-pad and the roller door slid upwards to reveal nothing. Gareth looked around as concern began to register. Then to his and Lola’s relief, the side office door opened and Erica’s guard emerged. He acknowledged Gareth then looked all around before signalling to his ward to emerge. Erica appeared clad in her burka then slid into the middle row of seats.

“You’d best lie on the floor Erica,” Lola advised. A burka clad girl with two men and a white girl might attract attention.

“Where are you taking me?”

“Somewhere safe girl,” Lola replied. “Once we’re clear of the hospital you can sit up.”

Once they cleared the hospital gates a general mood of relief swept through the vehicle.

“Best you stay low a little longer,” Gareth advised, “until we’re clear of the city.”

“I’m getting bloody stiff!” Angela complained.
On hearing Angela’s voice, Erica let out a squeal of delight.

“Is that you Angie?”

“Both of us.” Olivia added with a giggle of relief. “You don’t think we’d have missed this do you?”

Erica stirred to take a sly peep over the middle row of seats but her police guard reached back casually and gently placed his hand on her head.

“Not yet love, you heard the driver; after we’re clear of the city.”

ooo000ooo

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Living Through A Reno

joannebarbarella's picture

That's a real pain in the butt, and they're never completed on time or within budget. Also, I hope it doesn't send any signals to the arseholes.

They're all safe now?

Jamie Lee's picture

As long as nothing gets out about the girls livings with Babs they should remain safe until everything is settled.

But what insurance do they have that will remain when construction starts on the cottage? How can they guarantee none of the workers will talk? Or one of the suppliers? Or anyone bringing the supplies?

They can't use a nondisclosure agreement because that would make the workers and others suspecious, and cause unwanted questions to arise.

One thing is sure, Erica won't be amongst strangers or uncaring people this time.

Others have feelings too.

One has to wonder

What resources these bad guys have?