Babs' New Year's Resolution 71

Printer-friendly version

Babs’ New Year’s resolution 71 © Copyright, Beverly Guinevere Taff.

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. (Excellent Artist.)
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica in court.
Han’s The German policeman’s son whom Erica really fancies .

Chapter 71.

“Just drive please,” Erica pleaded. “I need my meds.”

Susan noticed Erica’s fingers clench as her knuckles whitened so she promptly left the restaurant car-park and sped hastily back to the hotel. It was close to midnight when they arrived and Babs’ was the only one still up. Erica sped straight up to her room while Susan de-briefed Babs’.

“She looked stressed just then,” Babs’ observed. “How did it go?”

“It actually went quite well. Hans now knows what the issues were but more importantly, his parents know as well.”

“And?”

“Erica’s going to meet the family proper tomorrow, at the family home.”

“Sounds rather formal.” Babs intoned cautiously.

“Well they couldn’t sort much out tonight. Erica’s a bit too stressed. Is the crack habit still an issue?”

“Not to my knowledge. She’s been handling her meds okay. The HIV thing has knocked her back badly though. A double whammy like that can’t be good. I’ll go up and see her now.”

“Thanks Babs’. I need a break, it’s difficult getting through that wall of hers. I still think she doesn’t fully trust me.”

“You’re a lawyer Susan, and a good one at that; but this girl needs a genuine carer not a legal guardian.”

“And you’re the magician there Babs’. How does she see you? I mean your eighty something.”

“The clue is in the name she uses for me, – ‘Nana Babs’. It’s not unusual for me to wake up and find her in my bed.”

“But you’ve got different rooms.”

“All four of the girls have keys to my room; Erica uses hers the most often.”

“And everything is; - you know?”

“Absolutely. It’s a Nana she’s seeking and it’s a Nana she gets. There’s a Social worker back home, Joyce is her name and she’s a psychology graduate. When Erica has questions, she invariably puts them to me and I chat with Joyce.”

“Not legal questions I hope.”

“Hell no, she’s got counsellors enough on that side, - you included. It’s all the other stuff, the shitty stuff where she needs a body who cares; a body she can trust.”

“How true. Well I’m whacked. It’s bed for me.”

“Me too. I’ll check in on her now.”

The pair shared the lift and separated outside their respective hotel rooms. Susan had to root for her key in her handbag and by the time she was addressing her door, Babs’ was tapping her on the shoulder while putting her finger to her lips. A couple of steps back down the corridor told Susan why. Through Babs’ open door, Susan saw Erica fast asleep in Babs’ bed.

As Susan raised a questioning eye brow Babs’ whispered her brief explanation.

“As I said downstairs; - ‘a body she can trust’.”

“Good God!” Susan exclaimed softly. She looks so peaceful, - and yet so fragile. Does she do it every night.?”

“No, only sometimes. But please note, she alone chooses when and where. Not me. That’s trust. You once asked how I was able to judge Erica’s moods so accurately. Well there’s the tell, there’s the emotional barometer I use.”

Susan nodded thoughtfully as she smiled.

“Whatever you’re doing Babs’ don’t stop.”

ooo000ooo

The following morning, Saturday, Susan was dressed to go jogging when she heard some giggling coming from Babs’s hotel room. Curious as to the cause of such unexpected levity she paused, hesitated, then plucked up the courage to knock. The door swung open quickly and Lola stood staring at Susan as she hurriedly snatched the bathrobe from the back of the door and frowned.

“Oh dear. No problems I hope?”

“Uuhm no.” Susan replied, “I just wondered what all the giggling was about.”

“Oh nothing. We’re just giving Erica advice about boys!”

“Erica!?” Susan gasped as she wagged her head. “You’re giving Erica advice about men?”

“Not just men! Nice men, not the vermin who tried to destroy her.”

“Who is it?” Susan heard Erica’s call from the shower.”

“Susan, she wants to know what’s going on.”

“Tell her Cinderella is going to the ball.”

Susan frowned inquisitively as Lola explained.

“Hans just phoned. He’s coming to collect Erica but he’s bringing his Sister to act as a chaperone.”

Susan could not contain an amused gasp.

“Ha! A chaperone? What are they, royalty or something.”

“Uuhm no. Apparently Hans only has one sister but three younger brothers. The sister wants to see her potential sister in law.”

“Good god! Hans has only met Erica twice!”

“Well apparently, that’s how respectable families do it in Germany.” Bab’s called from the bed and was invisible to Susan standing in the doorway. “Besides, Erica is the same age as Hans’ sister. I suppose she’s just curious.”

“It all sounds very formal. Has Erica got something to wear.”

“Yes, the dress and lingerie she bought the other day.” Babs’ confirmed.

“I’ve lent her some tights,” Olivia declared.

“And I’ve lent her some heels.” Angela added.

“Don’t tell me they’re glass slippers!” Susan chuckled.

“Fairy god-mothers, we are not.” Lola finished. “Friends is what we are. Are you coming in or blocking the door all day?”

“Well, it seems I’m not needed. I’ll go for my run and get all the news when I return.”

“With that she made her farewells and accidentally met Hans with his younger sister as she exited the lift in the foyer.”

“You might want to wait a bit, she’s nowhere near ready.” Susan advised the pair.

“See I told you, you’re too early.” His younger sister rebuked him. Girls need time and it’s still early morning.”

“Come and have a drink in the hotel bar and call her on your handy.” Susan invited them.

The invitation was accepted and a good hour was spent chatting before Hans’s handy rang back.

“She’s ready,” Hans grinned, and they separated as Susan finally went on her run.

ooo000ooo

In the hotel room, Hans introduced his younger sister to Erica, Babs’ and the other girls.

“Well come in both of you, surely you can spere a few minutes before dashing off.”

“We haven’t got much time,” Hans declared, “the rest of my family are keen to meet Erica.”

“It’s all very sudden.” Babs’ observed.

“No, no Ma-am.” Hans pleaded. “We are not rushing into anything headlong. Erica and I have already discussed this.”

“I’m glad to hear it.”

“Mrs Smith. My mother has asked if she can meet you.” Hans’ younger sister added.

“Well not today young lady. We’ve already made other arrangements. We’re going to a restaurant by the river and the tables are booked.”

“But you are prepared to meet them I hope.”

“Of course I’ll meet them, just not this weekend.”

Having confirmed that ‘Nana Babs’ was a real person and a genuinely responsible adult, Hans’ sister felt safe to report back. Thus properly armed with important information the younger sister waited until Erica and Hans’ were ready to face the family. They left soon after.

“Well! What d’you think Nan? Lola asked.

“It all seems very formal. I’ll be surprised and yet pleased if it works out. I can see that Hans’ is besotted.”

“So’s Erica. Maybe there really is a thing called love at first sight.”

“Well how was it with you and Belinda?”

“Not that fast. More a case of nervous glances across a gay club. She thought I was a cis-girl and I strung her along for a couple of nights. As a lesbian she could not understand why I was so reticent to go all the way then on the third night when we were walking back to her hall she point blank challenged me. I sat her down on a seat just outside her college and gave it to her both barrels. She was shocked but amazed and said she took it as an opportunity.”

“How?” Babs’ pressed; being slightly intrigued.

“Well she’d come out to her parents and as usual, her mother more or less knew Belinda was gay. They’d discussed it and all her mother was sad about was grandchildren.”

“Same old – same old.” Babs’ sighed. “Then what?”

“She asked if I was still fertile.”

“Ha!” Babs exploded before adding. “And the rest as they say, -“

“Was Ice-bergs and tadpoles.” Lola giggled.

“Well that’s one way of putting it. You’d better get ready for lunch. We’re going to the same restaurant Erica went to last night.”

“Can we afford it?” Lola wondered. “It was bloody posh!”

“We’ve got a budget and we’ve hardly dented it. Dig the others out while you’re about it.”

ooo000ooo

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Germans

joannebarbarella's picture

Can be totally annoyingly formal to Anglo-Saxon expectations, but it doesn't mean they don't care.

Believing is seeing

Jamie Lee's picture

Hans is starting to undo what was done to Erica's mind by his simple forthwrightness. He has given Erica something she's desperately needed since being rescued from that gang, hope. Hope there is someone who wants her for herself and not use her then throw her away. Someone who'll accept her even with all her baggage.

Erica has a long way to go before her trust of men returns to her prekidnapping, but it has begun with Hans.

Others have feelings too.

Things

Are starting to move very fast.