Babs' New Year's Resolution 46

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s Resolution 46.

Copyright Beverly Taff ©

List of Characters

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie's only daughter

Chapter 46

Lola almost upset the tea-tray as she lurched forward with shriek of delight at seeing not only Callie but also her girlfriend Belinda grinning in the doorway.

“Eeek! Oh my God! You made it.”

“Easy-peesy!” Callie replied as Belinda smothered Lola in an emotional hug.

Her tight embrace lasted several minutes as their lips locked and each of the college companions savoured the taste of each other’s lips that they had missed all through the long summer vacation. Eventually Callie felt forced to interrupt the obviously emotional and intense activities. Once the separated, Callie reached out and stroked Lola’s tearful cheek.

“There, there girl. I’ve told you before, Callie tries not to let her friends down. Now let’s share those delicious chocolate ‘hob-nobs’ and get going before I get a scolding from the hospital helipad.”

For an uncomprehending moment Lola stared stupidly at Callie before Belinda explained excitedly.

“We’re in the helicopter!”

After recovering her composure Lola observed.

“I thought you were coming down by R.V?”

“Pressure of work darling,” Callie explained, “I had to use something faster so there was a change of plan and I brought the Chopper.

“I didn’t hear it land.” Lola remarked.

The ward sister tapped the window and explained.

“These wards are sound-proofed. You’ve never thought to open the windows.”

“Ah!” Lola expostulated. “That explains it.”

They chatted excitedly and finished the biscuits before the sister organised a wheelchair and eventually, the slightly embarrassed Lola was delivered to the helipad.

“I could have walked that distance easily,” Lola protested, “I’m not a cripple’”

“Hospital policy I’m afraid,” the sister replied, “We can’t risk any litigation while you’re on our turf.”

As Lola gave the sister a thankful embrace Belinda reached into the chopper and produced a gigantic bouquet of flowers plus several boxes of chocolates for the staff.

“By way of a thank-you for all the kindness you’ve shown my partner.”

With the common courtesies of departure completed, the sister stepped well back, secured the wheelchair out of the rotor’s downdraught and waved farewell to the trio as the chopper ascended and turned to go north.

“Yorkshire here we come,” Belinda declared.

“Not quite.” Callie countered. “I’ve still got to pick up Maggie and our son Henry in London first.”

Lola and Belinda exchanged grins as Callie confirmed her flight plan with ATC (Air Traffic Control.) Forty minutes later they were landing at a private site in North London and Belinda was introduce to Maggie Denton, - Callie’s same-sex wife - and their son Henry who was heir to the dukedom after his transgendered father Callie Denton died. As the clatter of the rotors subsided Callie grinned.

“Cup of coffee I think, while we refuel.”

“I need a loo.” Lola confessed slightly embarrassed. “Still a bit sensitive down there.”

The other girls grinned as Maggie pointed to the loo.

“Welcome to girly world darling. Henry, be a good boy and order us the coffees.”

Charged with an important task for an eight-year-old boy, Henry double checked the tarmac between the chopper and the little café then crossed to order coffee from the canteen lady who knew him well from their frequent stops at the helipad.

“Got guests have you darling?”

“Yeas,” Henry replied almost casually, “They’re just like mum and dad; one’s transgendered and the other one’s a CIS-girl.”

The canteen lady knew the Denton Family well and she smiled before admonishing Henry gently.

“That’s a bit of private information young man. You shouldn’t go bandying stuff like that around in public.”

“Sorry,” Henry apologised, “it’s just that my dad is so well known as a Tee-girl and so open about it; I forget. The girls have gone to the loo so I’ve been sent to order five coffees while the chopper is refuelled.”

She prepared the five mugs of coffee and took them to the window overlooking the tarmac.

“Will you be wanting any sandwiches or anything?”

“I don’t thank you, but I didn’t ask the ladies. They just said coffees.”

She smiled as she returned to the counter.

‘That young boy was a proper little toff and courteous as all get out. Not like some of the other rich spoiled kids who arrived in their choppers with their arrogant, snobby parents.’

Henry watched his parents crossing the tarmac from the loos and stood up as they joined him at their table. The canteen lady called across.

“D’ you want any food to go with your coffees your grace?”

“No thank you Mrs Edlington.” Callie explained. “I’m afraid we’re a bit pushed for time this afternoon.”

Realising they were not going to have a meal, Henry decided he was hungry so he begged for a snack to eat in the air. Maggie turned to Mrs Edlington.

“Do you have something that doesn’t leave crumbs?”

“Not to take-away. The nearest I can offer is tomato sandwiches with soft cream cheese, but he’ll have to be careful eating it. I’ll get you a large piece of paper towel to spread on his lap.”

“Sorry Henry,” his Dad Callie intervened. “No crumbs in the chopper, bits of bread or something might get in the controls or electronics.”

“But I’ll sit in the back between Mum and Lola. There’s nothing that can be affected back there. Belinda can sit with you up front and get a better view. She’d like that.”

Callie had to admire her son’s stratagems.

“Okay young man. That’s a deal, you sit between the ladies.”

Henry’s grin widened and they finished their coffees. Within minutes, they were bound for Yorkshire.

ooo000ooo

Lola tried to sleep but it was impossible with the clatter of the chopper and a fidgeting boy beside her. Up front however, Belinda Carrington was thoroughly enjoying the ride.

All too soon however, the chopper arrived over Denton Hall and it spiralled inwards to land.

Belinda was treated to a panoramic view of the hall and a fair chunk of the estate. It was no good asking any questions though, Callie was too busy concentrating on landing while Maggie was busy entertaining the restless young Henry. Then the chopper landed and a four-by-four ‘Landie’ appeared from the large stable yard behind the house.

The lady driver identified herself as Ellie Denton; Calista’s mother and she had beside her in the passenger seat, Callie’s second child and daughter Charlotte. Belinda was introduced to the pair as the rotors finally ceased their deafening noise. For the return to the house Lola was offered the front passenger seat of the Landie as the easiest one to climb into in deference to her still delicate condition. The rest piled into the various rear seats. Belinda found herself sat next to the five-year-old Charlotte who simply gazed at Belinda for a couple of minutes before asking.

“Are you Lola’s wife?”

“Not yet darling but we hope to be married once we’ve finished Uni.”

“So you’re like my mummy and daddy?”

“Exactly darling.”

It was perhaps one of the best ways to break any ice and Belinda sensed the warmth of the family’s welcome. Obviously Charlotte seemed to sense the happy atmosphere and she inveigled herself into the crook of Belinda’s arm. Belinda’s arm naturally curled around to hug the little girl for the last few seconds before they entered the stable yard.

As they returned to the house, introductions were completed then Belinda simply took Lola’s hand as they were led into the family living quarters. There Belinda met Molly Denton, Callie’s grandmother who had prepared a meal. They sat around the table eating and chattering until fatigue finally overtook Lola and she asked for the sanctuary of the bedroom and some rest.

Maggie led Lola to the same bedroom she stayed in during the first visit and, after putting Lola to bed, she returned to the family who were getting Henry and Charlotte ready for bed.

Naturally, because they had guests the same as their own mummy and mummy-dad, both children wanted to stay up despite their heavy eyelids and frequent yawns. Eventually, Maggie was forced to put her foot down and despite the tears, the children where finally prepared and bathed for bed. As they were brought down to be presented to Ellie, and Molly for their routine kiss, Charlotte played her trump card.

“Can aunty Belinda read us the story tonight?” She pleaded

“No! She can’t!” Callie replied. “Now off to bed, go on!”

Reluctantly and with a few, (what Belinda sensed were crocodile tears’) the children accompanied their mother Maggie to bed. Eventually, Maggie returned wagging her head.

“Charlotte can be a little minx sometimes.”

Nods of agreement rippled around the group and eventually the conversation inevitably fell to discussing the family history and the bouse.

“Yes,” Molly replied to a question Belinda had asked, “oh we had a few different county regiments billeted here at different times during the war, The Cheshires, The DLI, The Gloucesters, The Warwickshire Regiment. Mostly they were training for field-craft or artillery. It played hell with Denton Moor but most of the pock-marks have been covered with bracken and such for many a year.

“My great grandfather was in the Gloucesters, he fought in World War Two and the Korean war.” Belinda declared somewhat proudly, for she was quite proud that her own father had risen to the rank of general.

A pregnant silence suddenly settled on the group as Molly let out a cautious chuckle. Belinda glance nervously around the family and noticed that all of them were staring at her.

“What? What have I said?”

It was Ellie who cautiously asked the next question.

“What’s your family name Belinda?”

“Harrington; why?”

“Did you ever know your great grandfather?”

“Nah, he died way back in the nineteen eighties or nineties I think. Long before I was born. My dad’s still got his medals though. He’s agreed to donate them to the regimental museum when he passes on. There’s no son to leave them to and I’m quite happy to let the museum have them.”

“Did your mother ever talk about your great grandmother? Molly asked.

“Not much. There was some sort of scandal apparently, way, way back in the war that’s what; seventy - no eighty years ago now.”

“What was your great-grandmother’s name; her maiden name.”

“Good lord, I don’t know, that’s four generations back. What’s this about?”

“You’re not interested in family stuff then?” Molly checked.

“Not really,” Belinda shrugged. “ Family is just – well, - just family. Mum, Dad, me and my younger sister. We certainly don’t have paintings hanging around the rooms like you do. We’re not toffs, even though Dad’s a general. He’s had to work for every promotion. Most of his career has been in the engineers and sometimes attached to the tank regiment. Usually if they’ve got tests and trials. None of the posh regiments like the guards or the glamour boy like the Paras and such-like. He always describes himself as ‘just a run-of-the-mill soldier. Hard work and dedication brought him his promotions.”

“What about cousins and stuff?”

“Dad was an only child and Mum’s sister has got two children in Australia. I’ve met them but only the once when we were invited down there for a summer. Their summer, you know Christmas day on the beach and stuff. No, there’s nothing much of family with us Harrington’s.”

Nevertheless, Belinda felt Molly’s gaze burning into her face and she shifted uncertainly.

“What? She asked nervously.”

Molly being typically ‘upper-class’ bluntly declared.

“You’ve got a look about you young lady. Is it too late to phone your mum?”

Belinda hesitated as she tried to figure where the conversation was going.

“Well I was about to phone her when I went to bed, I was planning on tennish to give Lola some peace to sleep. What’s this about?”

“Family history darling. Could you phone your mother please, I’ve got some questions.”

Belinda became distinctly defensive. She knew the upper-classes often liked to keep their friendships and familial connections within their own county circles and Molly’s curiosity was unsettling her.

“I – I’m not somehow trying to wheedle my way into upper-class society your grace. I’m just the product of a hard working dad and a scholarship to Cambridge. Lola’s my partner and will ever remain so.”

Molly suddenly realised she had been sounding like some sort of inquisitor, an upper-class gatekeeper sorting out the hoi-poloi from the county set.

“Oh I’m so sorry Belinda. This isn’t me checking you out, this is something that’s got me intrigued. Please phone your mother, for my sake.”

Belinda frowned then swallowed a bit nervously and dug her phone out of her bag. The others were also puzzled and Callie stared annoyedly at her grandmother

ooo000ooo

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So

Is this yet another unknown family connection?