Babs' New Year's Resolution 8

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s Resolution

Chapter 8

List of Characters

Barbara. Chief Protagonist AKA Bab’s.
Lola (Seventeen) Barbara’s oldest adopted child. Transgendered girl rescued from an attempted murder.
Olivia. (Fifteen) Barbara’s second adopted daughter: Black lesbian girl fostered out of care then adopted. (With Olivia’s consent!)
Joyce Banks. Bristol Social worker.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to -
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
They are a married couple who own a narrow-boat on the canal. Friends of Lola
Mickey Talbot (Twelve) Aaron and Shirley’s oldest child.
Jessica Talbot (Eleven) Aaron & Shirley’s middle child.
Bianca Talbot (Nine) Aaron & Shirley’s Youngest child.
Billy Medical colleague of Aaron’s – he also owns a narrow boat in Bristol.
Sandra Her parents also own another Narrowboat in Gloucester.
Jackie Sandra’s friend (a bit headstrong and ‘adventurous’)
Julie Third member of the threesome, (more level-headed and sensible than Jackie).
Jason. (Black) London Gang member deals in drugs at the children’s homes
Tyrone (Black) Also a gang member, friend of Jason. Also a dealer.
Tyson (White) Also a gang member into drugs and trafficking young girls.
Angela (Angie), Olivia’s trafficked, drug-addicted friend (Rape-gang Victim and important witness)
Sergeant Davis, female police bodyguard for Angela.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.

Chapter 8.

Olivia trudged behind Sergeant Davis while she gathered her thoughts and considered her options.

A child of London’s mean streets and even meaner care hostels for nearly eight years, Olivia was still a hard-bitten cynical misfit. She still had no trust in the police or the social workers for that matter. It was not until she had been placed with the old lady called Babs and been treated with trust and caring consideration by old Babs that she had finally begun to respond to Bab’s kindness and Lola’s blunt, straight-talking openness.

As they approached the rehabilitation clinic’s vestibule front entrance, Olivia could see Lola lounging dispiritedly in one of the armchairs, seemingly not involved in the group discussions between Babs, Doctor Hepplewhite, the police inspector and a stranger who Olivia sensed to be yet another social worker.

Olivia always reckoned she could smell a social worker half a city block away. At first she could not see Angela then, as she entered the vestibule, she spotted her sitting amongst the other rescued girls while staring towards the adults. It was obvious to Olivia that Angela seemed totally disinterested in whatever was being discussed and just seemed to stare into space. Olivia was also concerned when she noticed that Angela was not talking to Lola. Only a few minutes earlier, the three girls had been chattering to Babs and the sergeant.

After entering the enclosed vestibule, Olivia paused while Sergeant Davis joined the adult discussion group. Wondering what to do, and nervous about joining the rescued girls, she joined the frowning Lola.
“Whass’ up big sis?”

“Look at that lot, they’re like zombies.”

Olivia turned to study the rescued girls again and only then realised that all of them were simply staring absently into space.

“Fuck! What they done to them?”

“When we came back I just saw a nurse finish handing each of them a drink of medicine. Then soon after we returned, they gave Angie a dose as well. Look at them, they’re all zonked out.”

“It must be how they get them to sleep. Sergeant Davis told me that Methadone and the other medicines knock them out to prevent withdrawal symptoms and stuff during the night.”

Even as Lola and Olivia watched, some charge nurses appeared and guided each girl to a ‘lock-up’ bedroom so within minutes they were the only children left. Olivia’s eyes glittered with tearful frustration and Bab’s noticed her distress. It prompted her to excuse herself from the adult discussion to reassure Olivia.

“Excuse me a moment, I think Olivia needs some TLC.”

As she joined Lola and Olivia she explained gently.

“I know it look's bad but it’s the only way they can be certain the girls get a proper night of restful, curative sleep. If they woke up with withdrawal problems, there’s no knowing what sort of pain and distress they might suffer and there are insufficient staff to supervise them one-on-one all night. It has been known for addicts to commit suicide if they wake up with withdrawal pains and there’s insufficient supervision to treat them.

This way, all the girls are truly zonked out and they are in a deep, drug induced sleep.”

“But Sergeant Davis told me that Methadone itself is actually addictive.”

Babs nodded sympathetically.

“Sadly it is darling but until they can get over the craving for opium or heroin they have to use the methadone as a substitute. Once they are over the worst of the evils, that is opioids, or opium or heroin then they can start treatment for the methadone addiction. For that they use several different drugs including Naltrexone. Apparently it’s an American drug but they use it over here as well. Once they’re safely on Naltrexone they won’t need such specialised supervision but they will still need a lot of care and secure supervision.”

“How long will that take?”

“Well according to Doctor Hepplewhite, it’s matter probably of weeks, or possibly months but no more than say three months to wean them off the opioid addictions. Then it takes some months to wean them off the Methadone related therapy addictions then they can slowly wean them off Naltrexone over however long it takes because the drug can be taken orally in less specialised situations. The advantages from the third generation therapy are such that they can recover without intensive supervision.

For most of these girls, clinic has broken the back of their various addictions now it’s up to each girl and whatever care she receives.”

“What does that mean? – Whatever care they receive -. “Lola demanded.

“Well depending on which care authority was previously responsible for each girl, once they're clean; they’ll probably be returned to whichever care home they came from.” Babs explained.

“But that’s bloody crazy! Olivia protested. If Angela is returned to London, she’ll be back on drugs the very next night. There’s druggies actually operating right inside the care-home! Anyway, she can’t be exposed to the gangs because she’s a protected police witness. In fact all the girls are witnesses, it depends on how much information they have. Since they found the girls they need their testimonies in court but Angie’s evidence is crucial, she was occasionally employed by the gang before she was kidnapped and she knows more names and locations even than I do.

“Oh. I wasn’t aware of that.” Babs conceded.

“Yeah. Sergeant Davis said they have to find a safe house; at least until the court-case and that could take up to a couple of years. The police are still gathering evidence as well as waiting to take down Angie’s testimony. And mine for that matter, I witnessed her being forcibly kidnapped right under my window at the care-home! – and Tyson dealing. My evidence supports Angie’s evidence and therefore it carries extra weight. Sergeant Davis explained this to me just now.”

Babs fell into a thoughtful silence for she could see quite clearly how distressed Olivia was becoming.

“How will you get to continue your friendship if she’s taken away and hidden in a safe house?”

Her softly spoken question only served to reinforce Olivia’s fears and uncertainty for it was a question Olivia had already asked herself. Now forced to contemplate it, Olivia just shook her head in despair and turned away to once again try and hide her tears. It was Lola who provided the shoulder for her erstwhile ‘younger step-sister’ to cry on.

Seeing that she was not Olivia’s most favoured adult at that moment, Babs nodded knowingly to Lola then she went in search of the inspector. He was talking to his sergeant and the psychiatrist in the doctor’s office so Babs knocked softly and waited to be invited in.

“Come in,” the Inspector responded, “I see your younger ward is upset, what about?”

“She’s upset that when Angie is fixed up in a safe house, she’ll not get to resume their friendship.”

“Or their lesbian relationship.” Doctor Hepplewhite added concernedly.”

“Oh I think that’s a bit strong and presumptuous,” Bab’s protested, “give the poor bloody kids some dignity. We’ve got absolutely no evidence that anything untoward went on. Girls of fifteen often have intense feelings towards their friends and they don’t necessarily have to be sexual!”

The inspector weighed in.

“Angela will definitely need to be placed somewhere secure; she certainly won’t be going back to the London care system. There’re too many dangers.”

At this juncture, Olivia had detached herself from Lola’s shoulder and was walking back to Babs. She heard the inspector’s words and her heart sank. ‘Two years’ the sergeant had suggested.’ A separation that long was inconceivable!”

At a complete loss as to what to do, Olivia turned again to Babs and motioned that she wanted privacy.

“What?” Bab’s hissed quietly.

“Does any of the gang know about Angela or me being connected to you and Lola?” Olivia whispered back.

Bab’s paused as she bit her lower lip.

“No, not as far as I am aware. Is this going where I think your thinking of going?”

“If nobody is told, she’d be safe with us. The police don’t even have to tell London Social services.”

Bab’s mused silently as she mulled it over. As far as she knew, only the Inspector and Sergeant Davis knew about Olivia’s involvement with the gang’s capture at the festival. Other police had heard Olivia’s voice over the comm’s but nobody had actually had a close look at Olivia’s face or heard her name.

“Leave it with me darling. When I’ve got a quiet moment, I’ll run it by the inspector and Sergeant Davis.”

Olivia gave herself a nervous hug and returned to chat to Lola about sisterly things and the remainder of the summer vacation. Meanwhile Babs chose her time to discuss just what a ‘safe-house’ entailed and what the risks were.”

It was a rather sober ‘Nina’ that returned to the girls after a long involved chat with Inspector John and the lady police sergeant Davis.

“Well, we’re finished here girls, Sergeant Davis is giving us a lift to the station.”

Lola and Olivia exchanged looks as they both wondered why they were not getting the chauffer service all the way to the Canal house. It soon became apparent as the police car headed out of town and it was Lola who noticed the deviation.

“I thought we were going home by train?”

“That was for the benefit of any unfriendly ears at the hospital. Less people who know the facts, the better.”

“So where are we going,” Olivia asked, “and does this mean a safe house?”

“We are checking that nobody is following us.” Sergeant Davis confirmed.

“Bloody hell!” Olivia muttered to Lola. “This is getting heavy! Thugs following the plod?”

“I told you before Olivia, this gang is big and it operates nationwide. This operation is our first big breakthrough.”

“Bloody hell!” Enjoined Lola as she exchanged a frown with Babs. “We’re in this deep, aren’t we.”

“Through no fault of ours,” Bab’s reassured the girls. “Just be glad there’s been no names exchanged with the hospital authorities. The inspector assured me that nothing about any of us has been revealed. They deliberately kept everything secret the moment Olivia recognised Tyson then mentioned Angela over the police comms.”

“He’s moved up the criminal ladder since I was last involved with him. I’m just glad I got out when I did.”

“Yes; well Angela’s not been so lucky. She got sucked in then thrown under the bus.”

Olivia fell silent as the police car pulled into a lay-by where two other un-marked cars were waiting.. She immediately became suspicious until the man emerging from one of the cars turned out to be Inspector John. She turned to declare to Lola and Babs.

“Bloody hell, this is real cloak-and-dagger stuff. How did Inspector John get here before us?”

“The police have radios Olivia, and you may not have noticed that I took the long way around to get here. We can’t be too careful,” Sergeant Davis replied.

"You two girls will wait here for an hour with Inspector John and the detective Sergeant in that car, while Babs and I go in a my car and check out Babs’s cottage by the lock. If it’s clear, we’ll know our small part of the operation has not been compromised.”

Olivia and Lola immediately realised the score as the inspector and the new sergeant met with them.

“So is our cottage to be the safe house?”

“Got it in one girls. Now this officer is detective Sergeant Davis and you will follow later in about an hour but you can stop in a Mac Donald’s or somewhere for now while his sister checks the cottage.”

“That’ll be confusing, two sergeant Davis’s Lola remarked as she studied the tall detective.”

“They’ll both be staying on a narrow boat right by the cottage so you’ll have good protection.”

“In the little laying over berth behind the house or out front on the main canal?” Lola checked.

“The lay-over berth,” Bab’s explained as she prepared to leave with Police sergeant Davis. “It’s less conspicuous and it covers the approaches from the woods across the marshy meadow. That way, every side of the cottage has a clear view and the cameras will pick up everything.”

“Cameras! Bloody hell, we’d better rename the cottage Fort Olivia.” Lola sniggered.

“This is no joke young lady.” Inspector John intoned seriously. “We’ve already found one of the girl’s bodies and we’re looking for possibly two more. Angela and the other girls we rescued may not count themselves very lucky but at least they are alive!”

“Shit!” Olivia cursed as Sergeant Davis and Babs started pulling out of the layby. “So that’s why Tyson, Jason and Tyrone are looking at thirty years!”

“Precisely!” The inspector finished. “Now if you get in the car with Detective Sergeant Davis, I’m sure he’ll find a suitable MacDonald’s where you can spend an hour. I’ll be coming down to the cottage tomorrow but for now I’ve got paperwork to do back at the station.”

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Safe House?

joannebarbarella's picture

The proposal sounds dangerous and dodgy. I hope Babs is up to it and the girls can keep their mouths shut for the duration.

Hide in plain sight

Jamie Lee's picture

Their idea to hide the girls at Babs' cottage only works as long as no one other than the inspector and both Davis know of the location.

The weak link is Olivia and her kick them in the crotch attitude. She fears these guys but at the same time can't seem to just sit back and stay safe.

And Lola isn't much better, with her glib attitude about something very serious.

While there are views in every direction, there is little protection should the gang come during the night. If they don't know the area, coming at night to that area would be extremely foolish. But if they are desperate enough to get at witnesses they will act foolishly.

Sure hope Babs has something up her sleeve should the fools act foolish.

Others have feelings too.

Sounds almost as if

A bit of mafia action going on.