Babs' New Year's Resolution 57

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 57

©Beverly Taff 23rd April 2020

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull

Chapter 57.

“So,” Bab’s squinted suspiciously as she sat on Beverly’s bed while Lola took a position with her bum half cheeked on Beverly’s large dressing table. “What’s this secrecy all about?”

As Beverly turned the dressing table chair around to face Lola and Bab’s, Lola took a slow breath and plunged in.

“I won’t beat about the bush Nana. Beverly and I have found my mother; that is, your daughter - - - .“

Bab’s jaw sagged slowly as she made sense of Lola’s words. Lola and Beverly remained tactfully silent as the long pause presaged Bab’s recovery from the surprise..

“My daughter? Are you certain? I mean – well, I’ve never met my daughter. Lola knows this because I’ve told her about it. That was a nightmare time for me.”

“Yeah! Too bloody right I know about it. The evil bitch was a junkie so the social took me away the same bloody day.”

“I thought you said it was about a year before they took you into care.” Bab’s looked perplexed.

“No Nana.” Lola confirmed. My mother, Wendy, that is - your daughter; and I were separated at birth because I was a neonatal junkie thanks to her habit. Shit runs through the whole family. I never saw my mother until a few days ago. I didn’t even know my family name until the police sorted it out for the trial. She’s called Wendy and she’s even taken your sir-name.”

“How’s that?” Bab’s frowned. “I never got to ever see your mother. The family made sure of that after the Tran’s issues.”

“Well that doesn’t surprise me but why deny you the chance to even once see your child.”

“You’d have to ask Wendy’s mother about all that.”

“What was her maiden name before she stole yours?”

“Brenda! That was her name; Brenda Cochrane. She and I were set to marry until I came out as transvestite, as I thought. If she never Married, Wendy’s sir-name should be Cochrane, then so would yours have been if Wendy never married.”

“Well she didn’t; I was illegitimate and she put down my name as Smith, father not known.”

“Have you seen your birth certificate?” Bab’s checked.

“Yes of course when the police sorted my passport for the German trial. There’s no father on it.”

“Oh of course, I forgot for a moment, your father of course isn’t listed.”

“Exactly!” Lola snapped peevishly. “In fact, thanks to my mother’s addiction and my grandmother’s insufficiency, I ended up with my grandfather’s sir-name – your name.
That’s not much of an identity when you have to peel back two generations to find out who you are or where you came from.”

“Well I truly cannot help these things,” Bab’s protested guiltily. “Your grandmother’s family made sure I was out of the picture then they got rid of Wendy as a new-born. I tried for years to locate her, but I didn’t even know she'd changed her sir-name. I was looking for Brenda Cochrane, not Brenda Smith. In fact I feel guilty right now, using her name Wendy when I’ve never met actually met her, or seen her or even heard her name – until just now.”

Lola was about to have another go at Bab’s until she recognised a slight moistness in Bab’s eye and suddenly realised she was being the unfair one. Bab’s had absolutely no idea about her daughter Wendy’s name or her whereabouts! Nor indeed, had she known anything about her grand-daughter Lola until their paths had crossed.

Instead of blaming Bab’s, Lola fell guiltily silent and Beverly decided it was a good moment to interrupt and take the situation forward; gently and with as little pain as possible.

“Well ladies; can I ask you both a question?”

They both turned and nodded.

“Do either of you wish to meet Wendy tomorrow, and, if you do; do you want to do it together.”

The reply was slow in coming for both Bab’s and Lola had feelings they were afraid to confront. Hesitantly, Grand-mother and grand-daughter exchanged worried glances.

Lola canted her head inquisitively enough for Bab’s to recognise her grand-daughter’s question. Cautiously Bab’s nodded her head and Lola relaxed enough to step forward and hug her Nan gently. The bullet wound was still fresh in everybody’s memory.

As the pair remained locked in their gentle embrace, Beverly felt she could relax and take things forward.

“Do you two want me to be there, as an intermediary perhaps because I feel I can count all three of you as friends?”

“I think it would be helpful, yes.” Bab’s concurred as Lola nodded her head.

As Lola released Bab’s from their embrace she asked.

“Do you think there might be problems?”

Beverly hesitated.

“Well Wendy doesn’t even know that Bab’s exists so it’s going to come as a shock tomorrow. I think it might be expedient if I phone her this evening. Give the poor woman a chance to gather her thoughts or even avoid a meeting. I don’t think she will because she’s always struck me as a tough old nut but everybody has an Achille’s heel.”

“Best do it now.” Lola suggested.

“Too early yet. Wendy’s a single mum don’t forget. Six to eight is her ‘kid’s time’.”

“Gosh, what it must be to have parents,” Lola snarked mischievously.”

“Now, now Lola dear! Let’s have no sibling jealousy.” Beverly scolded her light-heartedly. “There’ll be enough angst flying around tomorrow, without recourse to that.”

“Sorry auntie Bev,” Lola grinned, “I’ll be a good girl – honest! I totally forgot those two little girls are actually my half-sisters! What it is to have family.”

“You’ve got a family Lola;” Bab’s reminded her, “Olivia, Angela and Erica; and don’t you forget it. So, shall we go down to dinner?” Bab’s suggested. “They’ll be wondering where we are and what we’re up to.”

As they returned down stairs they found Callie and Ellie laying up the table for dinner. Maggie and Belinda were clattering about in the kitchen while Molly was entertaining Henry. Lola’s adopted sisters were just returning from the woods where Angie and Ollie had been showing Erica the pine marten’s new-born kits.

“Did you see them?” Callie asked.

“Yes. They were quite bold; they must be getting used to us.” Olivia grinned.

“Not sure if that’s a good thing or not. There’s plenty of idiot game-keepers who still regard them as vermin.” Callie mused.

“But not here, not at Denton.” Olivia replied hopefully.

“Oh no! They’re quite safe here, that’s why the red squirrels are back. Pine Martens prefer grey squirrels to red squirrels.”

They settled around the family table as Lola revealed their plans for the morrow vis-a-vis Bab's meeting Wendy..

“And you’ve never met her!” Molly confirmed from Babs.

Bab’s wagged her head despondently.

“Sadly not, though not for the want of trying.”

“Are you nervous?” Molly pressed.

Bab’s nodded as Lola added.

“I think we all are. Beverly is going to speak to Wendy after dinner. She’s scheduled to meet Wendy anyway tomorrow so – two birds; one stone.”

“Well I hope it goes well. Who else is going to Hull tomorrow?”

“Beverly, me and the girls – all of them.” Bab’s confirmed. “Olivia and Angie want to go back to the Wilberforce museum.”

“Can I come?” Henry piped up hopefully.

Bab’s looked at Callie.

“Is there much to see for an eight-year-old?”

“Not really, but If Maggie and I take the minibus, there’ll be more room.” I can’t see Beverly, Bab’s and four teenager’s squeezed into the Aston.”

“Definitely not,” Beverly smirked. “The Minibus is by far the better option, and there’ll be room for Charlotte’s buggy.”

Disappointment spread large across henry’s expectant face as Maggie laid down the law.

“Beverly’s car is not your private Taxi young man. You’ll travel with the rest of us in the mini-bus. So what time’s your appointment Beverly?”

“Well I arranged to meet Wendy in the morning on the quay when the ship docks then hopefully, if she’s happy, Bab’s and she can meet in the afternoon. I’ll be confirming stuff after we’ve eaten but I’ll ask everybody to be ready to leave by nine.”

“Are we all agreed?” Maggie asked.

There were no dissenters.

ooo000ooo

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Bev

It would seem that one of the only good things to come from a lockdown is more chapters of favorite stories.

Barb

Barb

I can only hope

Everything goes well.