Babs' New Year's Resolution 94

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 94

© Beverly Taff

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. Lesbian black artist
Angela Smith Bab’s adopted daughter Olivia’s lover
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica.
Han’s The policeman’s son Erica fancies
Uncle Phillip CIA Agent.
Emily Jackson. Texan girl Kidnapped to Holland & Turkey
Sandra Jackson Sister to Emily kidnapped in Texas as a hostage.
Eddie Emily’s Tandem surfing partner.
Chapter 94.

That evening, on March the eighteenth, Emily’s phone rang and she feverishly opened it up as she recognised Eddie’s call.

“Have you seen the weather forecast?” He asked without any preliminary niceties.

“Yes!” She replied excitedly. “Does that mean it’s going to be stormy?”

“Yes; very. It should be a five-star wave at least. Maybe more. I’ve arranged for Jack and Billy to be on hand with the jet-ski and R.I.B. Terry and Andy will marshal the other surfers to give us a clear run. The weather forecast will bring more out because the March 19th storm-wave looks better than the HAST (Highest Astronomical Spring Tide) of the 20th. Be ready on your side of the bank by ten a.m.”

“Are the police fully advised?” Bab’s was compelled to interrupt.”

“Yes.” Eddie confirmed. “Is that Sergeant Bridie with you?”

“Yes.” Bridie affirmed. “I’m sitting right beside Emily”

“Oh good. Now Emily, the arrangements remain the same. I join the stoke below the bend then you get ready further up; say by the end of the sandbar then step out and jump aboard as I approach. Just watch me closely to see where I’m positioning myself ahead of the wave so that you can be onboard and paddling in synchrony when the wave catches us, okay.”

“Yah-wol Herr commandant!” Emily imitated a German officer.

“Okay Sergeant;” Eddie spoke to Bridie. “I’ve told these gangsters that we will be starting from the end of the mid-channel sandbank but I haven’t told them that Emily will be entering the river from the South bank. They think she will be getting into the river with me from the North bank. They’ll only find out when I start to walk across the fields.
That will mess with their plans. They will only realise that Emily is not with me when I start crossing the field.”

“That’s good.” Sergeant Bridie agreed. I’ve arranged for the fire-arms squad to be on both sides and also disguised as surfers or hidden on the banks. Two of my men will be on another jet-ski as well, preparing to film it.”

“So that will be three jet-skis and a RIB., on the river.” Eddie remarked. “It’s gonna get somewhat crowded.”

“Well it’s predicted to be a meteorologically assisted big wave, that’s bound to attract observers.”

“Well please make sure that the police jet-ski does not interfere with our little group. My clubmates will be keeping close to us anyway, to keep any idiots out of our path. The club acts as a loosely collective control group to keep idiots away from our activities.”

“We’ll do what we can but our job is to protect Emily while hopefully trapping the kidnappers.
ooo000ooo

With arrangements carefully prepared Emily went to bed early because she wanted to be up in good time to meet the bore. She needn’t have worried; all the girls were up and after a good breakfast, made their way to the river. They intended to get a good view from the bridge. Sergeant Birdie met them at the prearranged spot and went over the final details.

She drove in the unmarked car along the south bank and pointed out to Emily where the marksmen were hidden. At each location, Emily cautiously sat up and displayed her yellow wetsuit top so that the police would easily recognise her. By the same arrangement, Eddie had been supplied with an orange top to easily identify him.

“There he is on the far bank standing by his van.” Emily indicated just as her mobile rang.

“Hi Babe’s.” Eddie called, “I see you there waving by the gate.”

“That’s me, Bridie is with me, I’m all ready but you’d better get a move on, you’ve got to cross the field.”

“Just to give you a head’s up. The gang were her just now asking where would be the best place to get a close-up. I told them you’d be joining me in the river from the far side. They saw your yellow wetsuit and cursed, They said they wanted to film you getting into the water and paddling out into the river. I told them you were walking out to the shallows by the sandbank and they cursed as they leapt into their van.

It’s a silver Vauxhall transit with courtesy windows down the side. They’re towing their jet-ski. There’s also a second car. A blue Volkswagen estate with two other men.”

He sent the brief video he had taken as the gang hurriedly left and Bridie noted the registrations. Then she warned the response team as Emily slid down the high muddy bank and waited to meet Eddie who was in a group carrying their surfboards across the field on the far side. Sergeant Bridie did not envy the Texan girl as she stood waiting on the edge of the water. To reassure herself, she spoke to the hidden marksmen

“Emily is just below me and the kidnappers are expected within a couple of minutes. Get ready, I’d like them alive if possible.

Bridie’s plan was to intercept the kidnappers before any bullets flew and to this end she had her coat ready loosened and her hand on her gun in her deep pocket. Her next act was to activate her body can and the tiny dash-cam in her car which was parked across the road but pointing towards Bridie.

The van duly arrived slowly cruising along the riverside until Bridie saw the occupants pointing towards Eddie’s group walking across the field. The van stopped right beside Bridie as the surfers reached the far bank and stepped into the shallows.

“Is this where the surfers start?” The driver asked bridie.

“Usually, yes, they’re over there.” Bridie replied for all the world like a spectator.

She checked to see that Emily was out of sight beside a low branched weeping willow then she appeared to notice the jet-ski on it’s trailer.

“You won’t be able to get that down the bank here. There’s a better spot over there.”

She pointed to a muddy hollow about a hundred yards upstream where a jet-ski could slide down easily. It was directly below one of the Marksmen.

“That’s the best place around here but you had better hurry, I can hear the bore.”

The pair in the van started to tense as they realised their plan was coming apart. Then the

Then the Volkswagen car arrived and the four men started rushing to get the jet ski into the river. As they struggled and cursed to back the trailer down the muddy slope, they lost control and the Jet-ski slid too far down into the muddy hollow in the bank. Bridie decided to add to their woes by shouting that the bore was coming and they had better hurry.

“If you’re going surfing girl, you’d better get out into the river now.” She called softly to Emily.

Emily had already launched herself into the deep channel then she started swimming across the river to meet her surfing buddy while Bridie watched the four kidnappers like a hawk.

Suddenly the gang noticed Emily’s bright yellow wetsuit and one cursed loudly as he reached inside the jet-ski seat-locker to extract a rifle. Seeing the danger, Bridie took out her handgun and fired off a shot to warn the gang. On realising the more immediate danger, the rifleman took aim and fired a shot at Bridie as she ducked behind her parked car while the bullet drilled a hole in the windscreen..

This sent a loud and clear message to the police marksman who had perfect close range shot from the dense bushes above the muddy hollow. Now that the shooting had started he had clear permission to shoot and well-aimed bullet caught the gang member in the arm.

He cursed and dropped the rifle thus causing two other gang-members to put up their hands.

Cautiously, Bridie emerged from behind her car and aimed her handgun at the three whilst realising the fourth man was out of sight down behind the riverbank.

“Cover me Bob!” She called to the Marksman as she skuttled across the road to the top of the steep riverbank,

There she flung herself flat and peeped over the edge of the bank to see the fourth man crouching behind the huge log and taking careful aim at Emily with his handgun. It was about forty yards distance but Bridie could take no chances. She fired a shot into the same log that Emily had been sitting behind before she launched into the river.

Splinters erupted from the log and the gunman span around with a curse to see Bridie levelling her gun at him.

“Get up from behind the log and throw your gun up the bank!” Bridie shouted.

The gunman cursed in Spanish then crouched under the log and let off a shot without exposing himself. Bridie cursed and called to the rest of her team.

“Can anybody get a shot at him. I can’t see him properly and if I stick my head out again; well!”

“He’s gonna have to move from there boss, the bore is coming and it’s a big one.”

“Suddenly, Bridie recognised the roar of the approaching bore and realised the surfers were already starting to paddle to catch the stoke. She screamed down to the gunman that the bore was coming but the man’s English was poor. As he reached from behind the log to get a clear shot at Emily; he never saw the crashing rush of the two metre bore as it swept along the bank smashing all before it.

When the bore struck the log it tossed it easily upwards before crashing it down onto the gunman. Bridie watched in horror as the crushed corpse emerged from the muddy water and started following the rest of the debris up the river behind the rushing bore. The man had not even had a chance to scream as the wave had engulfed him.
ooo000ooo

The destruction was not yet completed for the kidnap gang. After noting that Emily was safely aboard Eddie’s surfing board, Bridie turned to check the situation with the other three gang members just one hundred metres further upriver.

After rushing over the sandbar, the bore re-entered the deeper channel of the bend and the wave height increased as it regained form to crash along the riverbank with increased impact.

Even as Bridie watched, the men finally realised the peril they were in and they started to slide and slither in the slippery muddy hollow as they abandoned the jet-ski to escape the breaking wave. Their efforts were too little and too late. The rushing wall of water crashed along the bank before inundating the hollow and plucking the men into a whirling vortex of water before dragging them into the river and carrying them on its crest further along the bank.

Bridie sprinted as fast as she could along the safety of the bank while calling to the marksmen to reveal themselves and keep tabs on the tumbling, twisting casualties.

It was only Bridie’s calls to her response team that finally alerted Emily and Eddie to the situation on the bank. They called to Bridie who had a brief moment to admire the poised image of Eddie holding Emily aloft with the entourage of supporting club members applauding the scene.

Then the wave took the surfers up the river as Bridie and her team were left chasing the casualties along the bank while the police pair on their own jet-ski raced amongst the debris to recover the injured kidnappers as and where they could. It was to be a morning of uncertainty before Bridie finally located the tandem surfers when Emily’s number came up on Bridie’s phone.

“Where are you?”

“Up at the weir near Gloucester! We made record run thanks to the height of the bore.”

“Are you safe? Let me talk to Eddie!”

Eddie came to the phone still breathing like a grampus from the exertion of carrying Emily several miles either above his head, or on his shoulders. From the sounds of celebration, it was obvious that a crowd was gathered and Bridie’s blood ran cold as she warned Eddie.

“Look, there might still be gang members looking for Emily so keep a sharp eye and warn the other club members. I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

ooo000ooo

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Messy...

...but it sounds as though they did get all but one of them alive. (I'm not sure the reference to them as "kidnappers" is accurate. Seemed to me they were killers with no plans for abduction.)

Eric

The Fat Lady Sings

joannebarbarella's picture

It's not over until it's over, and I agree that this is not a kidnapping but a murder squad. They've already been shooting at Emily. They don't want her alive. Let's hope they are too disorganised to make a further attempt while the club is celebrating.

Ignorance can kill you

Jamie Lee's picture

That gang didn't prepare well enough with their plan to kill Emily. They should have done more research to learn about the Bore and what affects its size.

But their poor planning was fortuitous for Emily, as the water did most of the work protecting her.

Good thing, though, Bridge and her fellows had forewarning of the gang, which gave them time to plan. Hopefully this is the last time Emily has to keep her head on a swivel.

Others have feelings too.