Babs' New Year's Resolution 62

Printer-friendly version

Babs’ New Year’s Resolution 62 © Beverly Taff 2020

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.

Chapter 62.

For a brief second Erica wondered what was going on as the huge courtroom erupted into a rumble as several hundred people got to their feet. Then she remembered, everybody was required to stand when the judge entered the court-room. She had been so stressed and over-awed by the pomp and theatre of the occasion that she had forgotten the usual procedures. She was so tardy that her late response caught the attention of the second judge (a lady ). Erica received a baleful stare and that set the tone to her discomfort for the rest of the morning.

Once she had rocketed to her feet she gaped at the bench where five judges sat in red gowns and funny little hats. This was a totally different spectacle to a British court and this alteration also caused her unease.

“Where’s the jury thingy?” She whispered to Bab’s.

“It’s a European court darling,” Bab’s replied, “they use a different system here, it’s based partly on Roman law not English Law.”

That shut Erica up completely and then she was further surprised when another usher handed her a set of ear-phones and informed her –“Translation Miss.”

“With her comfort register amounting to Zero, Erica found herself squeezing closer to Bab’s while squeezing Lola’s hand. She couldn’t understand how Angie and Ollie looked so relaxed.

The whole of the first day was taken up with what Erica came to realise were the charges being read against the abusers in the dock. As each one was made to stand, the clerk would slowly list the charges in German and Erica received the translation through her earpiece. The whole procedure proved irksome for each individual girl until it was their turn to be questioned. Then, their specific abusers were compelled to stand while that individual girl’s lawyers moved to calm them prior to questioning.

Even before the complete charge sheet had been read out, the girls were exhausted and the noon-time lunch break proved to be the first instance where the normal procedure of the court had to be addressed to deal with the collective stress surrounding forty young victims. As the girls settled down to try to eat their meals, it was apparent to the court that there would be need of much counselling and support as tears, once again, were shed. Not a single girl completed her meal.

A hurried conference was quickly assembled to address the issues that had surfaced.

As the afternoon wore on Erica asked Olivia and Angela how they seemed to cope so well.
Through tightly pursed lips, Angela answered with one word.

“Anger!”

And Olivia nodded silent support as the chords in her neck tightened to reveal her tension, so Erica decided to copy their strategy. By the second day she felt the anger strategy was working but the effort took its toll as she waited for what seemed interminable hours then days before her turn came to give her evidence.

ooo000ooo

That turn came eventually on the sixth day and Erica shuddered as she watched the usual calm process turn to a bustle of preparation and collective discussion as a dozen different counsels gathered at a huge table that had been brought to accommodate each brief and his or her assistants. Nervously, while the defence counsels talked amongst themselves, Eric whispered to her own prosecuting counsel.

“Why all the big changes? What’s going on.”

The lawyer squeezed her hand to reassure her.

“Erica, remember, you were trafficked through Germany, into Turkey and actually across the border into Iran, and that’s not to mention the abuse you suffered in England. There are nearly twenty people involved in your abuse and your evidence links them all together. Your testimony is vital for it is the lynch-pin on which the conspiracy charges hang. Your evidence supports the charges of organised crime, but don’t be afraid, there is a mountain of video evidence to support your testimony. The Mexican and American police have video-evidence of an online auction offering you for sale across the Atlantic and that connects several large criminal gangs to your case. Your evidence is crucial to smashing the rings.”

“Fuck me! So – no pressure then!”

“Be brave Erica. The judges have seen enough to predispose them to sympathy towards you. If the questions become too painful don’t be too ashamed to shed a tear or two.”

“How long am I going to be in the witness box.” Asked Erica as she watched the documents piling up on the table.

“Sadly, it might be a few days up to a week. Don’t worry, much of your testimony is backed up with sequestered video evidence. Whoever secured that evidence has been a miracle worker for the police but he still remains anonymous. The Americans are delighted with the material but a little annoyed that GCHQ in Cheltenham have not identified him.”

“Will they expect me to reveal who he is?”

“If you know anything Erica, it would be best if your told the court but if you think it will put him in Danger, then tell the court. The courts is well aware of the dangers and violence surrounding this case.”

“I don’t think I could handle it if they try to force it out of me. I don’t know for certain anyway!”

“Now don’t worry Erica, you are the victim here and the court is sympathetic. You will be accorded EVERY facility and protection from bullying.”

Erica let out a long sigh and slumped into her chair. Already the tension was getting to her and once again she was caught napping. Her tired eyes were half shut and her distracted mind was far away recalling some dark cesspit of abuse as the judges entered.
She was so lost in her thoughts that she completely missed the usher’s call to rise and the judges entrance. It took a sharp poke by her counsel to wake her and alert her to the judges’ arrivals. She jerked involuntarily and once again snapped to her feet like an electrocuted marionette.

The senior lady judge who had given Erica the previous baleful stare, this time frowned as she spoke to Erica’s counsel.

“Is your witness fit to testify counsel?”

“Yes, your honour, she had a somewhat disturbed night but she assures me she is ready.”

“Are you young lady? -Ready to testify that is?”

Erica nodded as tension momentarily caught her tongue.

“Very well, we’ll proceed. Put the first defendant up.”

Erica watched as one of the brutes she well remembered, was escorted into the dock. The main prosecutor turned to Erica’s counsel and whispered for several minutes before Erica’s counsel turned and spoke to her in a whisper.

“Do you want to give your name Erica? You don’t have to if you don’t want to, we’ll refer to you as witness twenty three if you prefer.”

“No. I’ve come this far Miss. I’m going to stick it out if it kills me. Fuck the paparazzi.”

The main prosecutor smiled and nodded as he overheard Erica’s answer so he leaned across to inform her.

“It will make our job much easier Erica and none of the accused will be able to claim a mistrial on that question.”

With that he turned to the judges and declared.

“Our witness is ready to testify your honours.”

ooo000ooo

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You Have To Have Done It

joannebarbarella's picture

Being a witness in front of a court is a very stressful experience. I've done it on many occasions, only in civil trials and arbitrations, but the other side is always trying to trip you up and after a few hours in the box, trying to remember exactly what you said, when you have no notes,is not easy. If you make the slightest mis-step the opposing counsel will try to rip you into shreds.

What I did find is that the judge/judges have a pretty good idea if you have been telling the truth and will protect you from really hostile questioning.

Still, it's not fun.

being in court

NoraAdrienne's picture

In all my 73 years I've never had to serve on a Jury. In the early days I was an independent sales person with my own business so I was excused. When I finally did have to start appearing every few years I'd listen closely to both counsels remarks at the jury choosing and gave answers that always got me excused. One time it was for a thief who just didn't know when to stop. He was a rather large black man who entered a shoe store in downtown Brooklyn. Ran off with 3 pairs of multi hundred dollar running shoes. He came back an hour later to try his hand again. The owner pointed his licensed weapon at him and told him to get out of his store.

The thief kept walking towards the owner to the point that he was backing up the stairs to the balcony. The thief grabbed for the gun and as he got it in his own hands he SHOT HIMSELF.

The thief was suing the store owner for having lost his weapon allowing the moron to shoot himself.

The group us waiting to discuss it were made up of retail workers, parent's of retail worker, four gun owners with myself also be a certified hand gun instructor. I doubt they ever managed to seat a jury on that case. LOL

I have to wonder

If it is bad as it is in the American courts, where this defense is allowed to bully the victim.