I'm okay with this

Printer-friendly version

I turned off the TV which was playing a commercial about something or another “Mom, Dad… we need to talk.” There was a twinge in my guts as I try to think of my diction. My mouth was dry and the lump in my throat was getting larger.

“What is it, baby?” Mom cooed, obviously reading the mood.

I gulped as I whispered, “I have a secret that’s been held in for a long time and I can’t hold it in any longer.” The tears were really welling up as I twirled a long strand of my hair. I licked my lips as they did the speaking, “I’m really a…” I bit my lip, “I’m a girl.” A huge weight was lifted from my chest.

The room stayed silent, mom and dad just stared at me. From the corner of my eye, I could see my little sister just staring at me. I could just feel every stare on me from everywhere. Dad articulated, “Well, bud-”

“CALLED IT!!” Mom jumped up like she just won a round of poker, “I knew it Jim. I fucking knew it.” I think my eyes were popping out of my head at this point. My mom never cussed.

“Now, Maria, I thought we decided to be thoughtful about th-”

“Thoughtful my ass,” She got up beside me and put an arm around me. I couldn’t move neither I could think, all I could do was just listen and watch, “Anna here has always been my daughter. I don’t know why’d you think otherwise.”

“I thought we talked about this, Honey. He’s too young to understa-”

“Understand my sweet squishy ass,” My sister chortled at this, “The kid begged and BEGGED to be a girl. Hell, at night I would hear him crying about it. I suffered so fucking long dealing with this ‘doublethink’ shit you pull on me like we’re in ‘1984’.”

“I did NOT pull a ‘doublethink’ or whatever you call it. You just want only daughters.”

“No, I only want healthy and happy children. You just don’t care about that happy part.”

“Beg your pardon?!”

“You heard me, you slimy cunt! You forced so much on these kids and me. You made me quit my job. You practically dragged poor Anna into football. And, worse of all, you told Joan that she didn’t need to study. The only reason why I suffered through any of this is that I wanted the kids to grow up in a happy and together family. I didn’t want to become another divorce statistic. Well, NO MORE.” She slammed a binder of papers down.

“Wha-what’s that?” My dad practically looked like he being stabbed by a bunch of knives. Each knife making their mark and twisting.

“Divorce papers, bitch!” My mom looked like she was practically on fire.

“But, why Maria? I provided so much and sacrificed almost everything for you guys.”

Mom’s face turned angry to absolutely serene as though the most beautiful melody was being played by an angel, “Embezzlement.” Her stage whisper sounded like velvet. A wicked grin enveloped on her face as though she has committed murder and enjoyed it, “You’ve not done shit, but embezzled money from your job and fuck whores. Did you not think I was intelligent enough to figure out where the hell that sports car came from?” Dad’s face went pale then the color came back a bit.

“What proof?” Mom’s grin was devilish. The cruel laughter in her eyes and voice proved that she was enjoying the torture. She slammed another binder.

“I don’t even have to explain what this is.” Dad grabbed the thing and ripped it apart, throwing the wads in the fire. He looked relieved just for a second. “Well, that was a waste of time. I have copies on a bunch of different flash drives and in the cloud. I only made a copy to fuck with you.” I’ve never seen a more defeated man in my life. Mom’s phone rung, “Yes? Yeah, it’s done.” Sirens came in and the police took my father out. I didn’t even know I was holding a breath until mom stroked my cheek and kiss my forehead. “My baby.” She cooed with a warm smile on her face. I don’t know what’s scarier this smile or the devilish grin? The fact that she can switch back and forth is scary enough.

“Mommy?” I was tearing up. “What’s happening?”

“Something that should’ve happened a long time ago.” Her eyes flicked to Joan, who just stood there shocked, “Come here, Joan.” She obeyed, “We need to get your sister some new clothes. It’s gonna be a long rode for her.” Joan gave mom a massive grin before hugging the two of us. I never expected this to happen, but for some reason. I’m okay with it.

up
178 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Busy

Maybe a little too much action for what is essentially a single scene of a one-act play. Not bad, just dizzy-making!

bad memories

Teek's picture

That poor kid will always remember that coming out as transgender broke up the family. Truth or not, that is how the kid brain will process it. The kid will need to be in therapy for years to learn to accept that getting her greatest desire was only the final drop of water causing the glass to over flow.

Keep Writing, Keep Smiling
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

While it's good to have a supportive parent

laika's picture

Mom seems like kind of a scary ally to have. She really hates her spouse, and while it might be justified she seems like she might be less interested in her new daughter's well-being than in how having a trans kid could be one more way to get back at the dad. Hard to know what the whole story is from this vignette, but if she was my mom I'd be wary of getting on her bad side and planning for an eventual escape from such a toxic family, just in case...
~hugs, Veronica

Mom is a hoot

Jamie Lee's picture

It's never easy confessing something to parents, more so when the confession deals with something not considered normal by many.

But he ratcheted up his courage and told them his secret. His telling seemed to have been expected and a trigger to something totally unrelated. Something which had been in the works for awhile.

It also seemed to trigger something in his mother which Jim had forced her to suppress for some time, a mother tiger protecting her cubs.

By the way Jim reacted to the news, his real concern for his children had left him years ago. He tried being to clinical, to intellectual about the matter. The mother tiger was in full swing when she presented the divorce papers and a copy of documents showing his theft from the company he worked for. When he got that car did he really think Maria wasn't going to be suspicious? When she almost certainly knew how much was in their bank account, and not enough for an expensive sports car. And tell tail signs that he'd been visiting working girls would not have escaped Maria's notice. Jim was toast before he knew he was in the toaster.

And Anne, what about her? Might she be upset thinking she caused her family to split? Nope, because she heard why her mom was divorcing her dad, and why her dad had been arrested. She might need Maria to explain Jim's problem in more detail and in a calmer manner, but once she understands her dad did all this himself, she won't play the blame game. Because she did say, after all, that she was okay with it.

Others have feelings too.

I'm okay with this

You gotta think that that when he came out as her, she thought it would be the big thing for the evening.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.