A Cracker Barrel Christmas Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

lights06.gif

December 2021 Christmas Holidays Story Contest Entry
76F2E521-214E-46C1-96FA-CB2913BAE83E.png

The World That She Sees

“I hear your brother’s in town.” Mr. Johnny said as I placed a bowl of cornbread rolls down on the table.
“The one who saved your drowning butt?” Reverend Al glanced at Mr. Thomas as his hands reached in and he grabbed two rolls.
“No,” Mr Johnny said he shook his head, “He’s the one who jumped our car after we…went for doughnuts.”
“Ah, the doughnut run,” Mr. Thomas mused.
“Special for today are the waffles,” I replied.
“So, he’s planning a wedding?”
“Mmm-hmm, I replied as I moved strands of hair out of my face. I had woken up early due to a light snowfall and still didn’t have time to do anything with my hair. My helmet completed my masterpiece of Capelli Arruffati.
“Your brother gonna officiate? I’ll take five waffles and stack’em high”
“Most likely. Butter? Syrup?”
“Lay it on me.”
“Yes sir, Mr. Thomas.”
“That grandkid you’ve been yapping about come in yet?” Mr. Johnny asked through a bite of cornbread.
“I assume he’s left his dungeon in Nashville,” Reverend Al said as he looked at Mr. Thomas.
“Oh yeah, Nikki, he is on his way and I told him to come straight here with the biggest bouquet of roses he could possibly find.”
“How he paying for flowers as a college kid?”
“He has some money, Tony. Money for the important things,” Mr. Thomas looked at me with a wink.
“You may have a double wedding,” Mr Johnny said and then took a sip of coffee.
“I’m already a maiden of honor in one wedding.”
“And if I have to change some state laws, Nikki, you’ll be a bride in this state too.”
“Thank you, Mr. Thomas. Mr. Johnny, Reverend, did you want anything?”
Mr Johnny took another roll and then pointed to the empty bowl.
“More rolls. Yes sir.”

I grabbed the bowl and looked out the window at the now steady falling snow. It was going to be Hell getting home. My bike was actually inside the restaurant’s storage area but would I be able to get it out and get home? Maybe it was best to just live at my job to avoid the inevitable arrival of Adam’s family which consisted of his wife Karen Anne and their kids, James and Amelia. I didn’t really want to know what would happen once they knocked on the front door of the house and then started talking with mom and Dad, Danny and Lena.
I was happy to just be at work with the crowded dining room.
Spilled tea? No problem.
Kids flinging mashed potatoes? Like a Bob Ross painting.
Being at work for ten hours? Cake walk, my friend.

By two o’clock that afternoon, management called all of the servers to the nearly empty dining room.
“The snow is not going to let up, so we’re planning to close at three. We’re going to leave the middle section open but close out the sides for the day.”
There were some moans about the snow and about leaving and not leaving. I just went on my way to start cleaning up my section. I would occasionally look out the window to see the drifts build up.
“Yeah, she’s over there. Nikki!”

I looked back to see a young man, perhaps my age standing next to Miriam, our hostess. He held onto a bouquet of flowers as he walked toward me. Miriam pointed at him and nodded her head.
I gave a light smile to acknowledge her and hoped that the guy didn’t completely think it was all for him.
“Are you Nicole Armitage?”
Since we were in a public place with cameras, I felt safe enough to answer him. “Yes.”
“Great. I’m Garrett Thomas,” he replied. “These are for you.”
He handed the flowers to me. They were a mix of multi-colored roses, in a blue, pink and white blooms.
“Thank you, Garrett, umm, I kind of don’t know what to say.”
“Too much too soon? My grandfather always says to go out and make an impression.”
“And he has done that. I’ve heard a lot about you, Garrett.”
“A lot of it is hyperbole, I assure you.”
We both avoided eye contact up until that moment.
“So, I was just wondering if you wanted to spend some time, you know, I mean, I don’t want to say, date, because that carries so much baggage but—Yes, a date with my family. I want to invite you to our Christmas party tomorrow night.”
“Sure,” I replied with a wider smile—anything to get away from my family.
“Thank you. We can handle the logistics tomorrow, I suppose. I’ll let you get back to work.”
I nodded as I walked over to the broom, I was going to pick up earlier.
“Do you prefer Nikki or Nicole?”
I spun around to answer his question. “Anything but Nick,”
“Nicole it is,” he replied as he took a step back—nearly missing a busboy’s loaded tub of dishes—and then left into the gift shop.
Miriam walked over and took the flowers from my hand.
“Was that Mr. Thomas’ grandson?”
“You mean you didn’t know?”
“Honey, I just noticed he looked nice and asked about you.”
“He does look cute.” I had to wonder if he was still in the shop area or had left the store.
“Must get it from his grandfather.”
“Miriam?”
“I’m into older men, I’ll admit it. Put in a good word for me, okay?”
“Okay.”
“I’ll put these in a pitcher for now.”
“Thank you.”

True to their word, an hour later the lights dimmed, and we closed early. The snow had stopped falling but it was blowing around enough that one couldn’t tell. I went to the breakroom and got my gear to go outside.
I would have to come back for the flowers, hopefully they wouldn’t die.
Miriam stormed into the room and pointed a finger at me.
“Don’t you dare tell me you’re riding that death machine in the snow, Miss Evel Knievel.”
“Can’t walk home.”
“And I’m not going to hear you crashed yourself on the street and busted up that face of yours on the gravel.”
“It would make for a great ‘Instagram.”
“Just get your things. I’ll take the flowers, and you meet me out front.”
I nodded as Miriam grabbed the pitcher. Then, I grabbed my jacket, gloves, and helmet.

We walked into the now darkened dining area illuminated only by the dying light of the day reflecting off the snow.
“Now, my car’s kind of full a lot of crap right now, so, I have a better ride for you.”
“Better ride?’ I asked as Miriam opened the front door to reveal a snow-blown Garrett.
"Remember that good word for me, aight?" Miriam whispered.

The World That She Sees By Trans-Siberian Orchestra

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nice young man

cool!

DogSig.png