A Cracker Barrel Christmas Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

lights06.gif

December 2021 Christmas Holidays Story Contest Entry
76F2E521-214E-46C1-96FA-CB2913BAE83E.png


O Come, All Ye Faithful

“We moved from Seattle to Vaugh last year.”
“Where’s that?” Mom asked as she passed a plate of biscuits to Danny. “You always say you’re in Seattle.”
“To avoid the very same question you just asked, Ma. It makes the conversation easier. I mean, like it was easier telling people there I was from Memphis.”
Dad gave a low, guttural, --no idea how it can be spelled out other than--grumble at the mention of Memphis.
“We like it. The house has a huge window where you see nothing but trees and bears.”
“You could have lived in the Smokies for that, Dan,” Dad replied.
“It’s more than trees and the wildlife, Dad. It’s the grandeur of living in the great state of Washington.”
Dad grumbled again. He had never, not once, ever cared about leaving the state of Tennessee, or at least the tri-state area. He was fine with Adam leaving for the missionary field, and he tolerated Seth joining the armed service. He never understood Danny’s hobo way of going across the country to work at a coffee shop.
“So, you quit working for that coffee place to chopping trees?”
“Yes. The trees don’t complain too much.”
Dad just nodded and then took another bite of roast.
Lena and mom nodded along with pretty much everything Danny said as he went over how he met Lena.
“So, when are you planning your wedding?” Mom asked.
“Haven’t thought about it. It’s not really on our minds.”
Mom and Dad dropped their silverware. I, however, kept eating.
You could have sworn mom was a ghost: “Wh-what?” She stammered.
“No, it’s on our minds, Ma, but we haven’t found the time or place or…”
“Danny’s trying to say that we wanted you to come up to Vaugh, but didn’t know if you could.”
“Then you can have one here,” Dad said as he picked up his fork and knife.
“Yes, oh, that would be so…so sweet,” Mom exclaimed. Sweet was Mom’s catch-all phrase. It could be used in place of anything or as any part of speech.
“What do you think, Lena?”
Lena looked at me from across the table. “Will you be my maiden of honor?”
Everyone else then looked at me.
The third time in my life when I had a whole room starting intently at me. The second time was when I dropped two trays of ribs on to Mr. Johnny’s feet.
“Umm, sure,” I replied.
Mom clapped her hands, Lena smiled, Danny nodded and Dad…Dad… well it was a cross between indigestion and “meh, I’m okay with it.”
Maybe big news would be contagious and since my life was nowhere newsworthy, it would be a quiet week with everyone talking about wedding plans and all.
“We need to take you shopping for a dress,” Mom sprung this on me as I was brushing my teeth.
I was pretty much a captive audience.
“I know you don’t like frilly dresses.”
Actually, this was a half truth. I did like frilly dresses, but only ones I chose to wear, not ones that were decreed on me. Judging by mom’s attitude, Lena and Danny gave her the keys to the kingdom of their wedding bliss. Which, for me, meant trying on dresses that either did not fit my body or ones that did but made me want to bludgeon myself to death.
Any wedding day I had would never be in the state of Tennessee nor would it require dresses. Everyone would be free to wear whatever made them happy because that’s what I was going to do.
“Do you work tomorrow?”
I nodded as I continued to brush my teeth. My molars were either going to be clean or my gums would start bleeding.
“I’m thinking a traditional country theme. Oh, we all come out with our hair in some sweet curls ”
I was close to swallowing a mouthful of toothpaste and spit, causing me almost throw up.
“Yes, and in long, old-fashion dresses and the men folk…ah listen to me saying it like it’s really back in time…They’re in suits that proudly adhere to being from the south.”
“What would Danny and Lena say to that?” I asked while still looking down at the sink—my face splattered with a white and blue mess. Mom was either oblivious or didn’t care.
“I am going to and find out now. Ooh, I’m so excited. Wipe your face, Nicole.”
She then left the bathroom—and the door wide open.

I walked into the kitchen in my night clothes which consisted of a tie-dye t-shirt and pajama pants.
Mom and Lena had several bridal magazines strewn across the table and both were intently looking at them. I had to wonder if she had a stack of them hidden away for such an occasion. Adam had gotten married in Texas, much to the chagrin of Dad. I had no intention of getting married anytime soon so I guess she pinned her hopes on Danny.
“What do you think of this, Nikki?” Lena asked as she pointed at something one would see Laura Ingalls Wilder wear.
“It’s nice,” I replied.
“I think so too” Lena answered but she shook her head—Mom was too engrossed in another magazine to look up.
“It may be too cold to wear, if you’re doing this outside.”
“Mrs. Armitage?”
“Yes, oh how about this?” Mom spun toward us and showed a picture of a bride and groom that looked like they just went two-point seven seconds on a bull named “Fu-Man-Chu” and were then trampled in the mud.
“That’s a lot of brown,” I whispered.
“Those boots look uncomfortable,” Lena stated.
“But the dress…hmm, do you think a leather dress is too much?”
“Danny wouldn’t mind at all. We have a lot of leather…things.”
I took a step back and tried to not visualize anything.
It was too late for mom.

I left the kitchen—not wanting to talk about chafing to any part of anyone’s body—especially not my brother’s. I walked down the hallway and saw the light in my room was on…which meant the door was wide open. I accelerated, hoping to not see Dad thumbing around—again—asking what such and such was about. Instead, Danny was in the middle of the room looking at the posters and artwork all over.
“It’s different now, more color. Less brown”
“Yeah,” I replied as I breathed half a sigh.
“It’s a bit more, pink.”
I nodded as Danny stepped closer to the wall. “I see you fixed the hole.”
“Mr. Johnny did, actually.”
“He’s still alive?”
“I see him every morning.”
“That was quite a punch.”
“Yes. Yes, it was,” I answered as Danny stepped back and looked at my dresser that was once his but had been re-painted and had a mirror added.
“I was going to take this with me…if I could have lugged it.”
“You can take it if you want to.”
“No, Nikki, I couldn’t do that to you.”
“Thank you,” I replied as I shuffled into my room and stood near my bed.
“How are you doing here?”
“I’m okay.”
“No one giving you any trouble?”
“Not since before graduation.”
“Ah,” Danny replied as he took a hanger with one of my dresses on it. “This looks good.”
“It’s comfortable.”
“Seeing anybody?”
“No.”
“You should.”
“Maybe I should move to Washington as well?”
“You’re welcome to come back with us.”
“Are you being serious?” I asked as I took the dress from him and placed it back into the closet.
“Well, yeah, I mean, I hate to see you not do anything with yourself here, Nicole. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you love Mom and Dad and your work, but are you really happy here?”
I turned to face Danny, trying to see if his sincerity hid some form of prank, some inner sarcasm—as he was known for it.
“No,” I whispered.

O Come, All Ye Faithful -Trans-Siberian Orchestra

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really

I really have to see where this one is going.

I'm glad this story arrives in small pieces

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

I'm looking forward to seeing more, and finding out where this ends up. You've created a very engaging character in Nikki, one who is easy to care about and worry about and wish the best for.

Thanks for a story full of feeling.

- io

Maybe in the Wild West

...a leather wedding dress might be appropriate. I am not so sure about now though. :D But Nikki is still living in a "hostile" state of sorts and even some people in her family are not as accepting as evidenced with your writing. Is she going to make a stand of it and stay in Tennessee? or move elsewhere? And how supportive would her family be for her wedding?

Looking forward to more of this!

Sephrena

I am still working on the

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I am still working on the family dynamics.
Danny does ask her that question….and she’s not ready to answer even when she finally meets someone interested in her, warts and all.